Reviews by welchatquietplease

welchatquietplease's avatar
    welchatquietplease

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

This one I just didn't get the first time around (happens alot, maybe that's the only kind I bother writing up). It's such an unnatural fruity-woody smell. 8 months later, it seemed kinda OK, great for a sunny weekend and it feels like vacation. Now I have to talk myself out of putting it on two or three days in a row, and I still can't tell you exactly what's making it so great. Maybe I do need a vacation, and this is a cool beach trip in a bottle to me.

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

This is simply great. It's almost too cute to say it sits halfway between Pour Un Homme and Yatagan, but that's not such a bad way to imagine it. It manages to marry up their agreeable aspects, sanding down the Yatagan's ferocity while keeping its dark green, and adding some starch I think is missing from the Pour Un Homme.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

I gave this one a miss first time around, but after seeing the drydown reviews I gave it another try.

Wow.

I was able to hold out that long because of the green note in the opening, it's like an air tube that lets you walk just underwater and still breathe. Then, about 45 minutes in, the green is gone and this great worn leather smell comes up, faintly, like an outfielder diving for a fly ball and instead coming away with a mittful of hay and flowers. There's not enough of it to get the better of the confused floral (darn), but it's a really excellent scent.

Moustache by Rochas

I'm surprised nobody has described this in the way I'm experiencing it: after a strange thickly citrus/wood opening, where each keeps stepping in front of the other for attention, this wonderful stuff opens out into fresh hay, a tiny whiff of horse-shit, and guest soap. And I mean all that in a good way, it is refined yet rumpled, comfortable, and inviting. I suppose the hay comes from the citrus fading to sour plus something green being uncovered. The hay goes fainter and brown as you move to drydown, but remains old hay for me rather than tobacco or leather. Perhaps I'm smelling the same thing as the rest of you, and just don't resolve it into such polite notes!

14th December, 2008