Reviews by lilypaddles

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

When I sampled this from a vial, I did not like it. Weak and unimpressive was my thought. Then I tested it by spray, and what a difference that made. On me, this is a wonderful blackberry and musk scent. I love the combination. Not overly sweet, not overly strong ... the lasting power is incredible (at least 12 hours). Must be said that I prefer lighter, softer scents, but this one is a favorite in the category.

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

In it's description, "bordering on coarse" is used. Coarse, sharp, almost marine-like describes this scent. Not my usual preference for a floral blend type, I found this scent unpleasant. It is very light and in my opinion, not worth the money.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Musc Ravageur is my favorite Malle fragrance, that I've tested so far. I like sweet orientals, and this is one of the best I've tried. I smell vanilla at first, with only a small amount of bergamot and citrus, then the cinnamon comes out, blending nicely with the amber. I don't sense a lot of musk in this, but it's there (not dominant). Almost perfect, but it does turn a bit too sweet for my tastes on the drydown. Love it though, and think everyone who likes sweeter orientals, should give it a try.

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

When I sampled this long ago, I thought I'd like it. There's a danger to only testing this lightly (a dab from a vial). When I sprayed this on, from a very generous sample supplied by Malle, I wondered what I was thinking back then. This is very spicy, much more masculine then I remembered. It sort of reminds me a bit of Arabie, but without Arabie's subtle sweet undertones.

Crème Bouquet by Stila

I was first introduced to this fragrance through an etailer dupe, which I loved and seached for the FO for. Creme Bouquet is one of my favorite comfort scents ... safe to wear anywhere. With notes of vanilla, pink lilac and lily of the valley, it is a fairly simple scent, yet girly. The lily of the valley causes it to be a wee bit sharp, which isn't apparent in the fragrance oil dupe, so I prefer that (made a lotion with it, which I layer with the fragrance). The bottle is very cute and different.

Lumière (new) by Rochas

Lumiere is one scent that both my daughter (20) and I own, but it smells much better on her. This review is for the EDT version, which is much different then the EDP (IMO). The notes listed for Lumiere include a lot of florals, but I don't detect a lot of those (can't pick out anything that dominates), until way into the drydown (hours later). Musk is dominant throughout on my skin, with a slight fruity and mossy undertone. This isn't one of favorites anymore, but nice for a change.

Lulu Guinness by Lulu Guinness

Lulu Guinness is one of my favorite floral blends ... fresh, sweet and feminine. Obviously a blend of many florals, lily is the star in this. I was walking through a greenhouse last spring wearing this, looking for fragrant flowers to plant in the garden, and kept getting a whiff of something wonderful ... searching for the flowers, but realizing it was this perfume. Very pretty, very girly, beautiful blend. Lasting power is excellent.

Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum by Helmut Lang

Wonderful scent !!! I'd classify this as more of a comfort scent, at least to me. I actually don't get any of the top notes in this, or if so, they disappeared pronto. What I get mostly is a very comforting sandalwood scent, with a feel of added musk, with light vanilla to sweeten it all.

Aqua Allegoria Lilia Bella by Guerlain

This is a very straight-forward Lily of the Valley scent on me. Not much complexity to it, but it's nice enough for someone wanting an inexpensive LoV. Bottles of these can be found on eBay for under $25.

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

Another of my favorite floral blends, this review is for the EDP version. Violet is very dominant on my skin in this blend, which I usually don't care for as a note. But this is beautifully blended with other florals, that sweeten and lighten the violet (and orchid?) ... orange blossom and tuberose are evident, along with the jasmine. I don't detect patchouli or vetiver, which is a good thing for me. Love this one ... a classic.

Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Amour de Cacao is my favorite of the chocolate scented fragrances, that I've tried. This one is heavier on the chocolate then Serendipitous, and the lasting power is great (at least on me). Just when I think it's gone, I can catch a subtle faint whiff of it. The vanilla in this has a tiny bit of a powdery thing going on, but love it just the same. A must have for me.

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

I can see why many would love this scent. It's a very strong vanilla/sandalwood scent, and I loved the initial impression. As it dried down however, the sandalwood became just too strong and unpleasant for my tastes. I have a sample of the eau fraiche version, which I'm going to try soon. Hopefully the sandal is toned down in that.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

I love the scent of lilies, but usually the big white oriental/Easter type lilies. This is predominately a lily of the valley scent ... those more delicate small white flowers. This is my favorite LOV fragrance, because it's sweetened a bit by other florals (lilac, jasmine) and is a really feminine scent. I get no dominant sandalwood or musk on the drydown, so it's well hidden. If someone were to ask for the best LOV perfume, this would be it.

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Admittedly, I like my fragrances soft and delicate, or on the sweet side. I love Serge Lutens Bois series, and for some reason, that is what I was expecting out of Cedre. NOT! I did detect the tuberose on a second test, but this went very masculine (overpoweringly so) quickly. Bitter, harsh amber is what I think I'm smelling (with some vetiver thrown in?). I know Serge doesn't like to classify his scents, but IMO, this is not even close to unisex, and most likely intended for the male gender. Nope, just can't do this one at all.

Secret 88 Temptation by Victoria's Secret

Wearing this on one arm, and Organza Indecense on the other ... and these are identical fragrances. Unfortunately for me, both are discontinued, since I like the scent a lot. 88 is a little lighter then OI, which to me, is a good thing. VS does not reveal the notes, but the notes in Organze Indecense are: fresh spices, cinnamon, jacaranda wood, patoucli, vanilla, amber and musk. The spices/other notes blend well into the vanilla, making this a vanilla "with kick".

Jacinthe et Rose by E.Coudray

I shouldn't like this scent, since I am not a rose fan, but for some reason, it grabbed me. This is more of an old-fashioned rose scent, with an almost creamy quality too it. Not terribly complex on my skin, but I've not smelled any other rose scent like it. I like Stella Sheer also, but this is a totally different rose scent, with a predominately sandalwood/vanilla drydown instead of amber (like Stella). Comforting. Notes include top notes of bigarde, hyacinth, vineyard peach ... heart notes of rose, peony, orange blossom, jasmine, ylang ylang ... base notes of cedarwood, sandalwood, vetyver, vanilla, transparent musks. Available at parfum1.com for $37.95 (plus shipping). See the reviews for "hyacinth rose" also (same scent).

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I hesitate to review this scent, because I love it so, and can't express it in words. This is the ultimate in spicy scents for me, giving me an overall impression of sweet cloves (clove is not a note, at least not that I've seen listed). If you are old enough to remember Beeman's Clove Gum, this is what it reminds me of. Only slightly sweet (just enough), a bit of tea, mostly spices, including yummy cinnamon in the background. I don't get smoky, like others have mentioned, except maybe a bit in the tea note. A perfect spicy/sweet blend for my nose. This is the only bottle I've paid full price for ... and would do it again. The beautiful bottle sits front and center in my collection.

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

Half of my collection of fragrances consist of vanilla based scents (love vanilla!), and this is one of the group. Containing no floral notes at all (rare), this is a wonderful combination of spices and woods: fresh (unnamed) spices, cinnamon, jarcananda (?) wood, patchouli, amber, musk and vanilla. It smells warm and comforting to me, rather then being a sensual scent. Personally, I like the uniqueness of the bottle. This has a twin in Victoria Secret's Secret 88, which is also discontinued.

No. 5 by Chanel

This review is for the Sensual Elixir. Lovely scent! Very delicate, feminine and simply gorgeous. I do not care for regular No. 5, as it turns into an overpowering mess on my skin. Elixir is totally different to me, with the florals dominating (mainly iris to my nose). I was told that the notes are supposedly "reversed" in this version (whatever that means).

Vintage Gardenia with Cardamom & Myrrh by Jo Malone

When I first became scent obsessed (a few years ago), and before trying 100s and 100s of samples, I thought I liked gardenia, but changed my mind ... until this rendition. It is mostly gardenia, but has other ingredients blended in to give it a kick, that make this a very pretty and soft scent. Very wearable, very dainty. This is my favorite Jo Malone scent (so far). I can detect the tuberose, and the incense. The sandalwood is not dominate to my nose. Lasting power is about 5-6 hours (which is average on me).

01st August, 2005