Reviews by Lily from the Forest

Lola by Marc Jacobs

I wear this when I'm feeling confrontational.
    Usually I like to wear the subtle, soapy, very nice, very pleasent scents. Basically scents my dad would complement me on. But I don't always feel like being nice and innocently pleasent. Enter 'Lola'.
    Some describe this MJ as fun and flirty. On me she smells like a pissed of wife, a girl who used too much eyeliner, a flowery sundress with a black leather jacket. The heart of the scent is confrontational, very THERE. True, Lola starts all fruity and innocent (boring) and after, say, 6 hours the scent dies a (boring) warm vanilla death. But I'm in love with what Lola smells like on me after an hour. Rich, bold and like fat peonies; you don't overlook Lola.

Btw; I bought the 30ml bottle because I thought the bottle was less ugly than the 50 and 100ml. Those bottles are... so ugly! Almost tacky and neon and cheap. But then again; Lola isn't a very classy smell. You wouldn't wear Lola and your hair up at the same time.

10th August, 2011

Eau Pure by Biotherm

Nice, clean, and very fresh, citrusfruits topnotes. Stays on for a long time and stays fresh. The scent smells just a little chemical now and then. Good for in the summer, during the day. It also reminds me of tennis. Feminine and sporty, I would say.

For me personally its too fresh, too modern. I'm not that clean a type of woman. But I can see sporty fun and clean women wearing this.

Incredible Me by Escada

The scent is not bad. Its sweet and girly, but in a naughty playfull way and its pleasant and soft. Unfortunatelly it reminds me of those mainstream Coty ETT's you can buy in every drugstore. Its what lots of young women wear. When I hear 'incredible me' I think of 'special me', 'unique me', 'look-at-me-twice me'. This is just Escade 'Nice me'.

So yes, its nice and playfull, and that could be enough. Its just not incredible.

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

At first I was enthousiastic about the scent, but now I've worn it, I don't really like it. The scent is light, classy and feminine indeed without being that flowery. But there's a bitterness to it that doesn't work miracles on my skin and the scent is also a bit weak in the way that it doesn't feel complete or rich. I can see why people would like it, but its not good for either my skin, my age or my type of girl.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Its sweet, innocent, creamy, girly and -to my surprise- gets better every minute on my skin.

Great for: Summerdays of wandering around in a white dress and little make up.

Not so great with: Smokey eyes, black clothing, sex, trying to flirt with a guy, just about everything that has to do with female power, because the scent is just waaaay too innocent. Say anything beyond the imagination of a 13-year old girl and the scent doesn't suit you anymore.

Thumbs up because its a well-balanced good smell. The fact that every grown up woman with brains can't really pull it off is a whole different story.

Bulgari Petits et Mamans by Bulgari

Aah, this is such a cute powdery smell! I love it on my baby sister. It makes me smile, so I also wear it sometimes on simple days.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

Hm, I expected more of this. When sniffing Tresor it smells like soft petals, apricot and, unfortunatelly, hairspray.

The first two are great, very nicely done, but I can't shake the hairspray smell. At first I thought it was the alcohol, but after an hour I still smell the hairspray. The Elnett extra strong lack kind. I won't be wearing this.

18 December, 2008

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

I actually like this even though, this may not be something for me. (I don't like most flowery perfumes)

At first Givenchy Very Irresistible is a bit heady, but then the flower slowly makes place for the fresh-warm anise smell. I know no fragrance like it, it just keeps getting fresher and fresher while still delicious. I can see this as a Unisex scent. Its surprising and it sort of makes me happy.

Really worth a try!

18 December, 2008

Omnia Crystalline by Bulgari

Mmmmm, this is fresh and fruity, but dries up warm. I thinkt this is a very pleasant smell! Not heavy, not offensive but really good when you want to smell fresh. Also good for summers. It doesn't last very long (EdT), but it does make me feel happy. Very well done.

17 December, 2008

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

At first I couldn't make up my mind about the smell, it reminded me of candy. But after a minute or 5 it smells the way its going to smell for hours. (At least it lasts) Ange ou Demon smells to me like two things. On the one hand, it smells like something my grandmother would put in het cake. She used to have a little bottle with aroma for baking? Thats what I mean. On the other hand, it also smells like her old white powder.

Without telling my thoughts, I asked Boyfriend what the smell reminded him off. He took his time sniffing and then said: "Cake-flower! The stuff you use to bake a cake? Thats what it smells like." Appearently his mom used the same stuff. Maybe the Dutch ingredients for home made cake are different from the rest of the world, but I doubt it. I'm sorry, but there's no angel, nor a devil in cheap cake-aroma with a powdery drydown. (Soft, old-Powdery-Vanilla fans, this is all yours)

Personally, I wouldn't want to be found dead wearing Givenchy's Ange ou Demon. I SO expected more when I saw the mysterious blonde in the white dress reveal her black lace mask. And the bottle is so gorgeous! This scent is a real dissapointment.

17 December, 2008

Boss Femme by Hugo Boss

I actually like this perfume. Its not great, but pleasant. Its flowery and a bit fruity but still with a warm undertone. Its not bold or anything and it doesn't make a statement at all, it just smells nice. On my skin, there's nothing really wrong with it, which is why I gave it a thumbs up.

Boyfriend disagreed with that. He sniffed... and then sniffed louder to let me know he didn't like it. I have to admit, it IS really a fragrance thats 'twelve in a dozen.' (Dutch saying) There's a lot like this out there.

Pure White Linen by Estée Lauder

My boyfriend came home, sniffed and put it like this: "Hmm, good if you just want to smell nice... but its not driving me wild."

I think thats right on spot. If you want to smell fresh, nice and a like a light warm summery bouquet of flowers without saying anything else; this is a good one. But I won't wear it. Why not?

It smells exactly like one of my mothers perfumes she wore for years, and when I wear perfume I want to feel more like me, and less like my mom. I think it was a Laura Ashley EdT, L'eau or No1, I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm giving my Pure White Linen to her, she'll probably love it.

Nature by Yves Rocher

Ouf, I got this stuff accidently on my hand, I waited for a minute, but the smell didn't get better, so I ran over to the sink to wash Nature right off of me.

It smells like dirty old man with greasy hair! Its unbelieveble! Maybe my miniature was a bit old, though. Anyway, if you want to smell like nature, use something else.

Puma Woman by Puma

Puma Woman was launched when I was forteen, and I immediatelly fell in love... with the add. The add is a black and white picture of a woman who's armwrestling with a man who looks like he could have been a HA biker. He seems frustrated. She, a brunette, wearing a simple black top, her skin looks a bit damp and she looks into the camera with such intensity... She was everything I wanted to be.

So I walked into the store, and thought I would be dissapointed. Most perfumes back then didn't suit me and I am pretty picky. Plus; there aren't many perfumes that suit a stubborn 14-year-old girl who's likely to run out on all the boys in her class. In gymclass with wrestling/judo the teacher actually had to put me in a group with only boys. I was a bit rough. But can you imagen most fruity-floral-soft-girly-teeny scents on a girl like that? I couldn't either. Puma woman hit it dead on. Its a suble skin-type of a scent thats simple and it made me happy. I wore it pretty often. I guess if sporty, subtle and affordeble is what your looking for, you could give Puma Woman a try.

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

WOW, I was NOT expecting this from the Latina queen. Its too soapy to think of anything sensual, or sexy, or flowery or anything else really.

It reminds me very much of sleeping over at my grandmothers as a child. She had no shower back then, and use this block of old soap nobody else in the world used anymore and than rub my skin untill the soap made these little bubbles. I keep sniffing 'Glow' now, but it just changes in a softer version of that same soap. And nothing else. I won't ever wear this again, why would any woman want to smell like old soap and vivid childhoodmemories?

Hot-diva-J.Lo's first perfume smells like sitting in my grandmothers iron tub... And I thought I'd seen it all.

Emporio Armani Diamonds by Giorgio Armani

The first notes I smelled were fine. Not good, not for me, but an OK, pretty standard fragrance. Then after a few minutes, Diamonds smells like Men, (Too-Much) Vanilla and headache.

Definitely not a 'girls best friend'.

Hypnôse by Lancôme

I get why Lancome called it Hypnose. That first sweet sweet smell of Lilac stays a long time in a penetrant way. Its like a floral attack of just one kind of flower. After 30 minutes I like it better. But by then a powdery smell takes over which is not bad, but very young and so inoffensive. I guess its just not my taste.

Love the add with Daria Werbowy though.

Lacoste pour Femme by Lacoste

It's warm, it's soft, it's elegant, it's Lacoste Pour Femme.

I love the way the bottle, the box, and the add represent both the fragrance and Lacoste as a brand so well. Its really well done. But the smell itself appears hard to classify. Some call it 'warm and romantic' and a girl I know called it 'sophisticated'. On me, Lacoste smells soft and warm, I really like to wrap that around me. Unfortunatelly saleswomen tend to call it 'fresh and flowery' and they start to bring on scents that are really nothing like it. I've been trying for some time now to find a fragrance like it, but I haven't succeeded so far.

I wear it daytime, but also have used it for a night out. People who notice the smell are pretty impressed by it. I never had a negative comment on this perfume, and this is the only perfume I have which pulled that off. (My entire family has a picky nose)

It stays a few hours but could be better, thats the only slightly negative thing I can think off.

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

I tried Hugo Boss Woman for a day and I quite liked it. Its neither heavy nor too floral, which is exactly what I'm looking for. But there's something about the smell after, say 20 minutes, that I associate with office women. But not the types that wear skirts, but women who can pull off wearing a suit without giving up any femininity at all .

At first I thought that was just the name -you know, boss-, but then I let people smell it without adding the name and they actually said the same thing. That could be the effect on my skin only though.

Its the reason I don't wear it. My Boyfriend's first comment to the smell was: "Good! Very nice... but too old for you." Confirming what I actually already knew. Hugo Boss Woman would probably smell very good on women who are 28-35, smart, subtle-sexy and feminine. And since I'm smart, but only 20 I can't really pull it off.