Reviews by esquirol

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Clair de Musc smells to me exactly like Baghari. Which I like very much, only I have two names here for the same smell. When I smell my wrist now there's also a very clear redolence of Chanel n°5 Eau première. Well, a pleasant, feelgood smell, all in all nothing "special".

16 September, 2009

Knize Ten by Knize

The deo spray of Knize ten smells fabulous on a man"s body. It brings out all the good that there is in the fragrance, which I otherwise find too overpowering. There is something in the chemistry of both deo and skin that I find indescribable. Try it!

04 September, 2009

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

To me it is really woody rose, like in Poussière de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine. Its longevity is questionable, it needs constant reapplying, and it is not a perfume thats evolves much with time. Plus I find the purple bottle dark and sinister (reminds one of the Shiseido boutique at the Palais Royal!), and I hide it in my cupboard.
    And yet I never tire of it, its feelgood power being absolutely reliable. It's most friendly, different, perfect.

02 May, 2009

Un Matin d'Orage by Annick Goutal

Reminds me of Donna Karan Gold. to me smells like some other apologetic scents. Lacks originality, even if the fresh water and soft distant, shy delicate flower smell may feel charming.
    Well I suppose I am disappointed.
    At times a whiff of surprising candour, almost sad, reaches up to my nose.

10th April, 2009

Ça Sent Beau by Kenzo

This fragrance used to be the absolute fashion when I was at high school and it is still utterly recognizable: orangey, with a slightly plasticky drydown.

09 February, 2009

Le Feu D'Issey Light by Issey Miyake

Le Feu reminds me of a "tartine de confiture" being tasted near a hot hot stone bench in a municipal park, at noon, in the summer. Lots of small flowers in there, stiff with heat. Thrilling!
    The lactonic note also reminds me of Rush in many ways.

09 February, 2009

So Pretty by Cartier

So pretty to me is a huge, inebriating, even boozy rose that develops a very friendly albeit loud scent. it is said to be a chypre with blackcurrant, a "Mitsouko with a shot of crème de cassis" (so Tania Sanchez). An interesting, complex fragrance that deserves closer attention. The different stages from top to bottom notes are flawless in their elegance.

09 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 February, 2009)

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

I really am in for this, and have been wearing it every time I hesitate as to what I should wear at work. It is very "très bien comme il faut", and smells subdued to me.
    Peaches in a leather bag that has remained a little in the sun!

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Angel is a ravishing scent, that I like to wear like a pair of pyjamas, to reinvent the comfy, uplifting effect it has on me. I wouldn't dream of wearing it outdoors, because of possible encounters with it.

26 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 February, 2009)

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Fracassant!
    A fragrance for the perfume-soldier, one to brace oneself for. It was my first 'perfumista' buy last year, when I thought that'd be THE plunge. Never really wore it even though (or because) I'm in awe of it. I wear it at home, possibly when no one is around!
    The orange blossom blast of the top note assails me in a very unconciliatory manner, yet I worship the drydown that is extremely skin-friendly, rosy without the rose, tuberose.
    Best wafts the next day.

Chamade by Guerlain

The extrait de parfum is heavier than the eau de toilette as the top notes are almost non existent. The green notes are hidden behind a smell of pollen, and the impression is mellow, comfortable but definitely grown-up. It smells womanly, as if you had approached just a little too much.
    And what is gorgeous about the extrait is that it radiates in the depths, in a humble and absolutely self-confident way, as if it knew it smelled exactly right.

LouLou by Cacharel

To me Loulou is a kind of "Holly Golightly" kind of fragrance, ill-mannered somehow, almost rude, but also spontaneous and VERY good-looking. That was also the image created for the fragrance when it was launched in France I remember, and contrary to what I read in various reviews about the ugliness of the bottle, the flacon was (and I think still could be) considered as having a very new, challenging beauty, with its art-déco lines, and the pattern on the box evoked poisonous, dark and appealing flowers painted in contrasted colours. To me then the odour fits the flower pattern on the bottle.
    The scent is strong, raspy, strange, like a bright teenage smile.
    Beautiful.

Par Amour by Clarins

It reminds me very much of Cinéma by YSL. I smell a powdery flowery note after 10 minutes, very round and cosy warm, but banal somewhat, and definitely clean. Very probably easy to wear.
    The rose accord is gentle and conciliatory, and I don't know if I like this or not.

18 December, 2008

Choc by Pierre Cardin

I haven't smelled Choc for 2 decades and yet when I sniffed Knize Sec it all came back to me.
    First there is a waft of mango, exotic fruit, very ripe and sunny, then it darkens and gets edgy and rough, raspy, deep and strange. The basenotes are heavy: if I remember well, patchouli and amber.
    The sillage was wonderful and everlasting; it even stayed in my memory during all these years.
    I remember smelling it on a friend and wearing it afterwards. She drove a Datsun Cherry (which she tended herself) and was a chain smoker, cute as a doll, smart and reckless.
    Like Choc.
    This scent is a stunner, and so loveable.

17 December, 2008

28 La Pausa by Chanel

This scent makes me think of a woman walking half asleep in a forest, wearing a faint dreamy smile on her face, and you can never know what she is.
    As she vanishes, the smell appears and takes her place: dry sweetness.
    Her address maybe 31 rue Cambon.

Bel Respiro by Chanel

Inside a barber's shop in the South of France, then the Monday market in front of the shop as you step out and the sun is on you. The bitter lemons, the red watermellons, the overripe fruit for a second. Hot greenness and into the shade, where the smell rests and sighs. Breathes.
    This is where I stand, and in the basenotes there is also water, the lake I know of, nearby.

Knize Sec by Knize

I got a sample today. As I tried it on already the memory of Choc by Cardin came to me. Choc was discontinued quite a while ago.Haven't smelled it in decades as it seems. It was a strong, lovely, happy, fruity, spicy scent. Meant for girls.
    At Knize the lady said there was some incense in the scent, and true enough the top notes evoke Messe de Minuit, something christmassy with cloves, oranges and church. I smell mango later on, and leaves, and the pungent but nice Knize base lurking at the back.
    It's an inspiring scent.