Reviews by cathio

cathio's avatar
    cathio

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

Truly men must love this perfume. I met a Pan AM pilot in Berlin I dated in the mid 70's who told me the most beautiful place in the world to see was Bora Bora. He also told me I had to get FIRST perfume. He loved it. I did make it to Bora Bora and he was absolutely correct about the breathtaking beauty. I also purchased FIRST. I liked it but didn't love it. It just wasn't quite "me" at the time. I had been wearing Oscar. I tried so hard to like it because it cost so much and he liked it. I never finished the bottle. Then my boyfriend at the time purchased the original Georgio perfume in the Rodeo Drive store for me shortly after that and I loved it. So did everyone else. Bye Bye First! They quit making the original Georgio for some reason changed it and released it under that name but different fragrance , unfortunately. I will always remember FIRST fondly and can attest to the fact it does indeed drive some men "crazy". My fragrance of the past 13 years has been MACKIE which I believe to be the best fragrance ever made.

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Thumbs up is for true,original Giorgio. I was in California in the later 70's. My boyfriend at the time bought me Giorgio perfume at their boutique on Rodeo Drive. I was with him at the time. This was before the launch of their fragrance Giorgio in the 80's. (81?). It was the most fabulous fragrance. Everyone asked what I was wearing. I went to so many special events back then and treasured it and saved it for those occasions. I was so excited when it was introduced in the 80's and purchased it thinking it was the same as the one I had already owned. Sadly, it was not the same formula and too overwhelming for me. I even called the boutique in LA where I bought the original . They no longer had the one I owned. I still have the beautiful bottle though and so wish they would still sell the " true" original. What a mistake on their part to let that one go. Mackie has been my favorite for the past 13 years. That and original Giorgio are the all time best perfumes in my opinion.

Poison by Christian Dior

I loved tis fragrance and purchased it from NM when it first came out. My 13 years younger long term boyfriend at the time went so crazy over it. He was a gorgeous songwriter, singer, musician, carpenter, chemical engineer. He wrote a song about me called "The little girl in you"(Never published commercially but recorded) ...so much for the what some call "old lady perfume! "! The perfume he referred to in this song was Poison. After awhile I became a little tired of it because all my girlfriends started wearing it. I eventually found it a little too sweet and overpowering for me. One girlfriend still wears it and nothing else. She still gets compliments. I went on to the MACKIE which I have never been able to get away from as it is the most fabulous perfume I have ever encountered. It still causes men as well as women to follow me and ask me what I am wearing... BUT still have sweet memories of my Poison days!!!

Mackie (new) by Bob Mackie

I am so picky about fragrance. I have lived in the same city for most of my life and know many people. I have been around the so called "in crowd" for years including top political people, some celebrities and the ones with money and power. I say this to let you know I have been around people who could afford the best of everything and although I am not wealthy, I have observed the habits, dress, beauty products used, etc by these women. Funny thing though, so many of them have copied my dress, jewelry, makeup and perfume preferences and come to me for advice on it, where I bought it what it is. Truth is I am more into inner beauty. I am certainly not the beauty of my younger years and no longer am obsessed with clothing (what a waste of money that was!) and perfectly applied make-up but I try to never leave the house without my favorite jewelry pieces, mascara (and I can do without that with sunglasses), long lasting lipstick, a smile and MACKIE! I can honestly say I have never in my life had as many comments on anything, even expensive, beautiful jewelry pieces I have worn than I have on my fragrance of choice. People, women and men, have literally followed me and come up and asked me what perfume I am wearing everywhere I go. When I dated, men went "nuts" over it. I have had two men who actually knew I was wearing MACKIE and came up to me and commented on it, which surprised me as men don't typically know these things and MACKIE still seems to be a well kept secret, which I still can't believe. I have worn it for over 13 years now. I buy other well reviewed fragrances now and then for a change and to see if there is anything I like as well or better than Mackie. The pretty bottles sit almost full on my perfume tray. When I wore the others I never received, and I am not lying, one comment from anyone during those 13 years. None of them have the " Mackie affect". I feel pretty when I wear it and so alive. It does not fade out three hours after I put it on and lasts all day. I would suggest if you want to try a new fragrance try this one. It has a stronger scent in the bottle and on a card but just give it a few minutes on your skin to settle down and you will love it. If anyone who has worn and loved Mackie out there and has found another fragrance they also love, I would like to know what it is, for a change - but for only for every now and then. Blessings!