Reviews by Mapletop

Mapletop's avatar
    Mapletop

Fresco for Men by Ilum Dean

Smells very similar to Aventus. Like how Cool Water smells similar to Green Irish Tweed. Aventus has more of a smoky/ashy prominence, as Fresco concentrates more on the oak moss. As for the pineapple note, they smell almost the same. Fresco is linear and does not change much, and I like that. Some people want their cologne to evolve or change, Aventus does that. The only con I have for Fresco is the longevity is bad.

28 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 31st December, 2013)

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

I appreciate this scent and what it is going for. It reminds me of other colognes I used to have, I find it similar to the dry down of Au Masculin without the licorice of course. It has that watery balsamic dry down. On initial spray it is awesome, vetiver, woody and earthy. It quickly transforms within 30 minutes to the balsamic dry down. I think I would have liked this better if the top notes lasted longer.

10th December, 2013

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I am a big fan of YSL scents. I just can't deal with this one. It smells nice for the first few minutes but then drys down to what reminds me of Axe-Dark Temptation.

27 November, 2012

Rive Gauche pour Homme Light by Yves Saint Laurent

I liked the original Rive Gauche but it was overpowering for me and others. If you like the Rive, this is a more wearable version and lasts all day.

07 August, 2011

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

Big fresh green blast. The vetiver and the jasmine mix well together. The vetiver soon fades after and hour and a rounded myrrh note is prominant. Big thumbs up.

07 August, 2011

Black Jeans by Versace

Black Jeans opens with an ambient fiz. What I like about this one is the bitterness it has. Almost like birch ta, which I think is the geranium . It reminds me of how creosote smells on a hot day. Its fresh, slightly bitter, and tarry. Thumbs up

06 August, 2011

Vintage by John Varvatos

I realy love this fragrance and I don't say that often. I have to agree with the other basenoters that said this fragrance is romantic and masculine. At first sniff I thought that it had fig or a date fruit note even though the pyramid does not include those. Others have mentioned that this fragrance is weak or does not last long. I have to disagree as the fragrance evolves quickly. The drydown is amazing, suede, tobacco.

06 August, 2011

Envy for Men by Gucci

Envy opens with a great ginger note. I think I could have enjoyed this if the drydown wasn't so heavy and cloying. It soon drys down to a heavy ambery wood. Theres a suble cloying sweetness to this that I think makes this frag too heavy for me. I hate to say this but I detect a faint BO note. In the line of work that I do I work with alot of elderly people, and this reminds me of those un-washed hands that has been to every crack and crevice on that persons body. I couldn't stand to wear this frag because of the latter. The smell association was too far etched into my memory.

08 July, 2011

Havana by Aramis

I got this cologne because I heard that it was a good tobacco scent. This wasn't the tobacco that I expected. I have saw conflicting pyramids on Havana. Ones with tobacco and ones with vetiver. I think the notes on fragrantica describe this scent as to what I smell, opposed to the above pyramid. I get fresh vetiver with rich, deep spice. Not what I expected but I have to give it a thumbs up.

08 July, 2011

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Starts off with black licorice then vanilla, hints of the green ivy underneath. I like how this fragrance develops. On the dry down I get some watery notes that are great, maybe the barley water, or the rock rose.

18 February, 2011

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Smells like a pack of Fruit Stripe chewing gum.

29 January, 2011

Antaeus by Chanel

No thanks. Smells like someone spilled a few avon perfumes and they got mixed together.

23 September, 2009

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

You have to let this dry on skin not paper to enjoy the smell. I wonder how many people that thinks this smells bad has actually given it a days wear. I do not get any negative notes from this. Kouros has a slight bitter accord that I like. There is no sweetness in this. It is fresh, musky, and animalic. Very masculine and strong.

08 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 September, 2009)

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Very classy, not for teenagers. It does have the shaving cream note that everyone has mentioned. The scent opens up with vetiver in the base but quickly dissappears, I have noticed that alot of people associate vetiver in a fragrance as "old mannish" because, should I say "older" fragraces have heavy doses of vetiver. This is far from stale or "old". It favors Brut in a way however it is much lighter, smoother, and not synthetic...mixed with barbersol shaving cream. Close to the skin, in the drydown I sense a similarity to L'eau D'Issey's drydown, of course mixed with shaving cream and a hint of Brut. I absolutely love this cologne. If a woman walks in a room after you have left, she will have no doubt that a Man has been there.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Cinnamon and vanilla and some spice to make you sneeze and give you a headache. I was onced told by a female that she went crazy for this stuff. No thanks! Theres too much of a synthetic confusion. Smells like my sisters makeup/perfume bag 15 years ago.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

First impression. The cheap lemon dishwashing liquid you buy instead of Dawn to save money. It has a detergent smell that I can almost taste. The tobacco comes now and again but is overwhelmed by other notes.This absurd cologne is a flanker of a fantastic cologne called CK's Eternity. Smells like CK's Eternity with added lemon, too much lemon, and tobacco and pepper. I'll pass.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Can't stand this stuff, got a sample. Smells like you left the coffee pot on over night. Burnt coffee with some vanilla and chocolate thrown in. Overpowering and sickening sweetness.

23 May, 2009

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I spray tested this today and didn't like it at first but when I got home, this deep aroma came off my arm. Its different. Thumbs up.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This reminds me of gucci envy. I can see where people get the cherry cough syrup at the initial spray. Dries down to a woody scent with a hint of sweetness. I hate sweet male scents or scents that smell too much like candy, but this one has the perfect blend of woods and amber. Its not overpowering but has good silage.

Vetiver by Guerlain

I appreciate the blend of scents but this smells like something you would clean with.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

The most complimented fragrance I have. It is similar to Acqua di Gio but has something extra with and more character. More masculine IMO. My favorite of all.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This does not smell like the original which is a good thing for me. The initial smell is slightly sweet benzoin wood. Riding on top of the cool camphor wood is the incense which gives it a smokiness. The eucalyptus is riding on top, which I think gives this cologne a masculine character. I have heard people compare this to Lemale, JOOP, and such likes. I personally become nauseated when I smell Lemale or JOOP. I think people compare these because Body Kouros has a sweetness to it. The sweetness comes from a wood called benzoin which has a vanilla-like aroma. It has a "subtle" sweetness, non-cloying, wearable. Its a woody sweetness (not synthetic or vanilla cookie). To sum it up it is a masterpiece.

14 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 February, 2011)

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Where I work they clean the floor with something that smells like this. I hate it. Smells something like lemon pinesol.

19 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2009)

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Wow. Way too strong for me, it makes me sick. I can't get past the plastic/synthetic smell in this.

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

I see alot of reviews comparing this to AdG. I think this smells exactly like Polo Black but with more of a floral note instead of the citrus. In all this just smells like a mixture of other colognes. I like aquatic scents so ill give this one a neutral.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I sprayed some of this on my arm and I smelled it all the way home. Potent in your face smell. I don't like the sweetness in this, theres too much. My sister used to have something that smelled like this. It also made me sneeze.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I admit when I first smelled this cologne years ago I hated it. You have to let this one dry a few minutes before you smell it. It does open on a gasoline note. This time I tried many different ones and carried the spray cards with me to smell them after they had dried down. This one dries down so good. The opening note of the gas like smell was gone. I instantly bought this one, very unique and definining. Very nice masculine scent. My partner loves it.

01st January, 2009

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I got my sample of GIT today. It does smell like cool water. It is more floral than coolwater. I can smell the Iris in GIT. I own coolwater and honestly its hard to tell them apart. GIT has more of a floral note and smells more "soapy" than coolwater and definitely lasts longer and the smell doesn't change as much as coolwater does on my skin. I like this cologne but with the price ranges being a hundred dollars or more between two colognes that smell almost identical, it's a no-brainer. GIT it just costs way too much. My girlfriend couldn't tell them apart.

27 December, 2008

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I bought this one based on a solo review. The smell is unique. It has a more green scent rather than blue. Opens up with a chemical like odor or should I say medicinal is a better word. This reminds me of how a fake christmas or other evergreen tree smells when it is new upon the first sprays. The dry-down is plugs my nose with musty moss. Moss is good in fragrances but I didn't like it in this one. No joke, It smells like the interior of a cave. It is one of those try before you buy. I think that it does have that dirty yet clean smell that girls like, but I couldn't stand to smell it. I gave this stuff away!

26 December, 2008

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

I like this one, it has a nice citrus and mossy smell to me. Very masculine. I can see where people say it smells too fruity or like juicy fruit, but c'mon thats when you first put it on! It does smell like that but that leaves after a few minutes. It then dries to a clean moss smell and the citrus is blend is just right. I like this one out of all the other ck colognes.

22 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2011)