Reviews by Mapletop

Mapletop's avatar
    Mapletop

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

Just like others have stated, this is almost exactly like CK Eternity but I prefer this one to Eternity.

01st December, 2014

Norne by Slumberhouse

Swedish digestive bitters for 20 mins, then mishmash of evergreen. No one note dominates this fragrance. It leads me in too many directions and one of them is Christmas.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

I was referred to this fragrance for a green vetiver scent, which is not IMO. However I find that it has too many floral notes for me. It reminds me of a generic Avon womens perfume. This might be OK for a woman but it gets a thumbs down for men. I have heard people compare the light vetiver scent to Blvgari PH, but Blvgari is much more wearable for men and less sythetic smelling without the florals. The only similarity is within 5 minutes of application.

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

Inexpensive it is. Smells 10 times better than most overpriced colognes of similar genre. Well balanced.

Encre Noire by Lalique

The opening is a cedar log by a fireplace, not ashy at all but warm. I can see where people say this smells like ink, but not so much for me. Soon drys down to notes I find synthetic and all too familiar. If you like Hermes you may like this.

04th November, 2014

Original Vetiver by Creed

Vetiver is subtle and fleeting. Overall composition: The soap beside grandmas bathroom sink.

04th November, 2014

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I think this is one of those timeless fragrances. It does not smell dated to me, although my wife says it smells somewhat powdery. I do not smell the powder that she does. Polo borders on fresh/pine tar. I have tried many frags before 1980 and this is the only one I would wear today.

02nd November, 2014

Fresco for Men by Ilum Dean

Smells very similar to Aventus. Like how Cool Water smells similar to Green Irish Tweed. Aventus has more of a smoky/ashy prominence, as Fresco concentrates more on the oak moss. As for the pineapple note, they smell almost the same. Fresco is linear and does not change much, and I like that. Some people want their cologne to evolve or change, Aventus does that. The only con I have for Fresco is the longevity is bad.

28th December, 2013 (Last Edited: 31st December, 2013)

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

I appreciate this scent and what it is going for. It reminds me of other colognes I used to have, I find it similar to the dry down of Au Masculin without the licorice of course. It has that watery balsamic dry down. On initial spray it is awesome, vetiver, woody and earthy. It quickly transforms within 30 minutes to the balsamic dry down. I think I would have liked this better if the top notes lasted longer.

10th December, 2013

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I am a big fan of YSL scents. I just can't deal with this one. It smells nice for the first few minutes but then drys down to what reminds me of Axe-Dark Temptation.

27th November, 2012

Rive Gauche pour Homme Light by Yves Saint Laurent

I liked the original Rive Gauche but it was overpowering for me and others. If you like the Rive, this is a more wearable version and lasts all day.

07th August, 2011

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

Big fresh green blast. The vetiver and the jasmine mix well together. The vetiver soon fades after and hour and a rounded myrrh note is prominant. Big thumbs up.

07th August, 2011

Black Jeans by Versace

Black Jeans opens with an ambient fiz. What I like about this one is the bitterness it has. Almost like birch tar, which I think is the geranium . It reminds me of how creosote smells on a hot day. Its fresh, slightly bitter, and tarry. Thumbs up

06th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2014)

Vintage by John Varvatos

I realy love this fragrance and I don't say that often. I have to agree with the other basenoters that said this fragrance is romantic and masculine. At first sniff I thought that it had fig or a date fruit note even though the pyramid does not include those. Others have mentioned that this fragrance is weak or does not last long. I have to disagree as the fragrance evolves quickly. The drydown is amazing, suede, tobacco.

06th August, 2011

Envy for Men by Gucci

Envy opens with a great ginger note. I think I could have enjoyed this if the drydown wasn't so heavy and cloying. It soon drys down to a heavy ambery wood. Theres a suble cloying sweetness to this that I think makes this frag too heavy for me. I hate to say this but I detect a faint BO note. In the line of work that I do I work with alot of elderly people, and this reminds me of those un-washed hands that has been to every crack and crevice on that persons body. I couldn't stand to wear this frag because of the latter. The smell association was too far etched into my memory.

08th July, 2011

Havana by Aramis

I got this cologne because I heard that it was a good tobacco scent. This wasn't the tobacco that I expected. I have saw conflicting pyramids on Havana. Ones with tobacco and ones with vetiver. I think the notes on fragrantica describe this scent as to what I smell, opposed to the above pyramid. I get fresh vetiver with rich, deep spice. Not what I expected but I have to give it a thumbs up.

08th July, 2011

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Starts off with black licorice then vanilla, hints of the green ivy underneath. I like how this fragrance develops. On the dry down I get some watery notes that are great, maybe the barley water, or the rock rose.

18th February, 2011

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Smells like a pack of Fruit Stripe chewing gum.

29th January, 2011

Antaeus by Chanel

No thanks. Smells like someone spilled a few avon perfumes and they got mixed together.

23rd September, 2009

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

You have to let this dry on skin not paper to enjoy the smell. I wonder how many people that thinks this smells bad has actually given it a days wear. I do not get any negative notes from this. Kouros has a slight bitter accord that I like. There is no sweetness in this. It is fresh, musky, and animalic. Very masculine and strong.

08th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 23rd September, 2009)

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Very classy, not for teenagers. It does have the shaving cream note that everyone has mentioned. The scent opens up with vetiver in the base but quickly dissappears, I have noticed that alot of people associate vetiver in a fragrance as "old mannish" because, should I say "older" fragraces have heavy doses of vetiver. This is far from stale or "old". It favors Brut in a way however it is much lighter, smoother, and not synthetic...mixed with barbersol shaving cream. Close to the skin, in the drydown I sense a similarity to L'eau D'Issey's drydown, of course mixed with shaving cream and a hint of Brut. I absolutely love this cologne. If a woman walks in a room after you have left, she will have no doubt that a Man has been there.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Cinnamon and vanilla and some spice to make you sneeze and give you a headache. I was onced told by a female that she went crazy for this stuff. No thanks! Theres too much of a synthetic confusion. Smells like my sisters makeup/perfume bag 15 years ago.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

First impression. The cheap lemon dishwashing liquid you buy instead of Dawn to save money. It has a detergent smell that I can almost taste. The tobacco comes now and again but is overwhelmed by other notes.This absurd cologne is a flanker of a fantastic cologne called CK's Eternity. Smells like CK's Eternity with added lemon, too much lemon, and tobacco and pepper. I'll pass.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Can't stand this stuff, got a sample. Smells like you left the coffee pot on over night. Burnt coffee with some vanilla and chocolate thrown in. Overpowering and sickening sweetness.

23rd May, 2009

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I spray tested this today and didn't like it at first but when I got home, this deep aroma came off my arm. Its different. Thumbs up.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This reminds me of gucci envy. I can see where people get the cherry cough syrup at the initial spray. Dries down to a woody scent with a hint of sweetness. I hate sweet male scents or scents that smell too much like candy, but this one has the perfect blend of woods and amber. Its not overpowering but has good silage.

Vetiver by Guerlain

I appreciate the blend of scents but this smells like something you would clean with.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

The most complimented fragrance I have. It is similar to Acqua di Gio but has something extra with and more character. More masculine IMO. My favorite of all.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This does not smell like the original which is a good thing for me. The initial smell is slightly sweet benzoin wood. Riding on top of the cool camphor wood is the incense which gives it a smokiness. The eucalyptus is riding on top, which I think gives this cologne a masculine character. I have heard people compare this to Lemale, JOOP, and such likes. I personally become nauseated when I smell Lemale or JOOP. I think people compare these because Body Kouros has a sweetness to it. The sweetness comes from a wood called benzoin which has a vanilla-like aroma. It has a "subtle" sweetness, non-cloying, wearable. Its a woody sweetness (not synthetic or vanilla cookie). To sum it up it is a masterpiece.

14th March, 2009 (Last Edited: 09th February, 2011)

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Where I work they clean the floor with something that smells like this. I hate it. Smells something like lemon pinesol.

19th February, 2009 (Last Edited: 14th March, 2009)