Reviews by karisuma

karisuma's avatar
    karisuma

Activist by Body Shop

I've only had this for a week so time will tell, but it was love at first whiff. Heavenly love. It's so warm, so inviting on a cold day. I can see the root beer evocation mentioned below, but to me it evokes honey more. Intoxicatingly delicious.

18th March, 2013

Dunhill Black by Dunhill

Unique? Not to me. This is about as unique as a typical Adidas or Nautica. Very generic smelling, nothing special.

28th April, 2011

Jovan Satisfaction for Him by Jovan

I like it. Very inexpensive. Smells a bit common, but pleasant.

09th April, 2011

Black Jeans by Versace

Maybe my loss, and maybe because I'm not a formal guy (this is said to be worn with tuxedo and such). In any case, Black Jeans smells nearly identical to the scent of Palmolive dish liquid. It smells like black ink poured over cooked cabbage. As intriguing as that may be, it doesn't smell good to my nose.

13th February, 2011

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

I liked it when I first smelled it, but after a few uses it became apparent that Ice Men was not as great as I thought. Like several reviewers, I don't detect any coffee or "iced coffee", which was what I was looking for. It is unique, but not necessarily good. Not as competent as other Mugler creations including B*Men, A*Men, Sun Essence, or Pure Malt.

31st December, 2010

Nautica Classic by Nautica

One of the most disgusting smells I've ever encountered. Smells like feces.

14th December, 2010

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

Not my thing. I rarely use the words "repulsive" and "disgusting" to describe a fragrance; this one comes close. I would run away from anyone who smells like this.

Interestingly, this is how I imagine a "blue" fragrance would smell like, which is why I'm not a fan of that color.

26th October, 2010

Antonio by Antonio Banderas

Very interesting fragrance as evidenced by the other reviews. Longevity seems excellent. Unfortunately it smell too much like scented soap to me.

18th October, 2010

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

Classy scent in a cheap-looking bottle. Not at all sporty (which is a good thing; how many decent "sport" fragrances can you name?), and I agree with the similarity to Baldessarini. This is smooth and even a little creamy. A pleasant olfactory experience and currently one of my favorites.

15th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 16th November, 2011)

Cuba Black by Cuba Paris

Feels like a mix of Azzaro Pour Homme and Versace Black Jeans (the "cooked cabbage" smell is here). Like the latter, it is a very dark fragrance that lives up to its name - "Black". Not particularly enjoyable to me, but somehow more wearable than Black Jeans.

07th October, 2010

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

Probably the best bang for the buck in the fragrance world. The 3.4 oz sells regularly for < $10 at TJ Maxx, which is a steal for a scent this exquisite. Great longevity, lasts all day for me.

06th October, 2010

Armani Privé Eau de Jade by Giorgio Armani

What's so prive about it? That's what I found myself asking as I put on Eau de Jade from the Armani Prive collection. Average-smelling, this is an unspectacular citrusy cologne with a hint of pepper. I certainly did not find it worthy of its high-end retail price of $100+. I couldn't even justify spending $30 on it at Marshall's.

10th April, 2009

Xeryus by Givenchy

Heavily woody scent that I wouldn't want to see anyone below twice my age wearing. This is what I'd consider woody gone wild and overboard, similar to Halston Catalyst and I detest both for the same reason.

05th March, 2009

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Too harsh for my taste and not in any exotic way.

03rd March, 2009

Zirh by Zirh

Uninteresting, smells cheap and old. Can't really see anyone pulling it off and getting compliments.

19th February, 2009

California for Men by Dana

I thought about this one long and hard but in the end, I decided to return it to the store. This is not to say it's without merits: it's a nice sunny fragrance; however, I felt it would be a better fit for an older gentleman (I'm 25). It just seems a bit weird for a recent colleage graduate such as myself. Someone had mentioned a comparison to Tuscany - I found Tuscany to be much more sophisticated. California has a one dimensional linear compisition whereas Tuscany is far more complicated.

19th February, 2009

Heir by Paris Hilton

Light and uninteresting. I agree that Paris Hilton For Men is a more "daring" scent.

15th February, 2009

Corduroy by Zirh

Overall, I'm giving Corduroy a (+). Everything about this is great except the post-opening weak projection. After the deliciously rich gourmand opening, it dries down to something considerably subdued resembling Bulgari PH, which is disappointing when you consider how rich the opening is. I wish the cinnamon note could stay in tact longer than a few minutes because it is amazing but again, only lasts minutes.

Several reviews have linked this to Bulgari Black but on my skin, it's more similar to Bulgari PH. It is sweeter than Bulgari Black. Had the drydown been richer like the top notes, this would probably be one of my favorite scents.

15th February, 2009

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

The Armani Code comparisons are spot on. This smells very similar to Code if slightly more feminine due to the increased intensity. I'd go with Code.

09th February, 2009

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I agree with the reviewer who said "fresh air." Indeed, this one seemed to vanish into thin air within minutes. With its near nonexistence, I can't justify spending money on it.

09th February, 2009

Viva Samba Man by Perfumer's Workshop

This is a very nice fragrance. To me it's tangy sweet, warm and a little spicy. Not a bold or extraordinary scent, but quite wearable and versatile.

25th January, 2009

Avatar by Coty

Smells exactly like Aspen (also made by Coty), but lighter and shorter-lasting. Both can be found for under $10; I'd go with Aspen.

07th January, 2009

Cubano Gold by Victory International

Another BIG thumbs up for Cubano Gold. I got the 2 oz bottle at TJ Maxx for < $10. My girl LOVES it. If fragrances are meant to seduce, then Cubano Gold is truly an outstanding fragrance :)

29th December, 2008

Caesars Man by Caesars World

Having read consistently positive online reviews of this cologne, I was uncomfortably shocked by the odor on arrival. One reviewer on Amazon.com described it as "a combination of ocean and fresh summer grass," which I must say is a rather kind way to describe what my first instincts evoked the odor of a shrub of bitter medicinal herbs. Personally, I'm unable to process this odor as anything remotely positive. Yet, since it's so different from the other fragrances in my collection, I will likely keep it and "surprise" people from time to time--and one can only hope it won't be such an unpleasant surprise.

28th December, 2008