Reviews by Mandella

Mandella's avatar
    Mandella

Royal Secret by Royal Secret

This excerpt taken from 'To Kill A Mockingbird' came to my mind the second I inhaled this scent, "Ladies bathed before noon, after their three-o’clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum. . . . There was no hurry, for there was nowhere to go, nothing to buy and no money to buy it with, nothing to see outside the boundaries of Maycomb County."
    Royal Secret is a simple, pungent,and powdery oriental; it's easy to like and suits anyone who has a soft spot for this type of fragrance, little money, and little patience for fruity-floral horrors on the market today. However, I'd still love to try the original.

**edit** I now own the original scent in the body powder. I will enjoy wearing this on sultry summer evenings, while sipping iced tea on my front porch.

19 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 26 February, 2012)

Venezia (original) by Long Lost Perfume

This review is for the original Laura Biagiotti version. It opens with a floral 'bite',I assume, from the wong shi blossom. The florals and oriental notes swirl together until the rich, ambery notes take over in the drydown; the Italian honeyed fruits add to this scent's overall warmth. The smell of the fragrance reminds me of golden crushed velvet; very smooth and plush. Sillage is mediocre but persists 8+ hours after application. I typically still get faint whiffs of this in my hair and on my clothing the next day.

16 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 February, 2012)

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I had sprayed on Addict earlier in the day, and decided to swatch my wrist with TV when I was running out the door.Talk about Clash of the Titans!I digress....
    TV is a comforting smell but has always been a jumbled gourmet to my novice nose. I could detect honey, tobacco, vanilla, and something slightly bitter, but didn't know what to make of them. Since I had a pack of cigarettes nearby, I used them as reference, Et voila, TV smells like Vanilla Marlboros! Or more accurately, TV sells of fine tobacco,and high quality vanilla.Love it!

10th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2012)

Bali Dream by Estée Lauder

When I wear this in winter, this is the scene I envision: A woman is stranded in a blizzard at JFK. She grabs a magazine and turns to an ad that features a smiling couple standing on the beach of a tropical resort. Behind them are flowers and tiki huts. BD is a tropical,buttery confection and I live in the humid south....so this smells spectacular on me in Summer. The dry down isn't as 'clean' as it could be ,but who cares when it's 110 degrees outside!

05 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 February, 2012)

Notre Flore Neroli by L'Occitane

This is for the original version as I've heard that this has been reformulated: The beginning blast of Litchi about bowled me over but the swirling of flowery and Neroli notes shortly after diffused the whole affair. In the top also is a potent vanilla and sandalwood that tie everything together in a warm, nostalgic way. There is something so evocative in this fragrance that brought to mind lost childhood memories; so much so that I purchased it after one sniff. It definitely curbs the sweet tooth I have at the moment and sillage and lasting power are tremendous!

28 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2012)

Cast a Spell by Lulu Guinness

This smells like a down market version of Lolita Lempika but with patchouli replacing the licorice .It has a masculine drydown and wears close to the skin for most of its life.It would be nicer on a younger person, but since I got complimented often on the LL,I may wear this.

26 December, 2011

Uninhibited by Long Lost Perfume

I was given a .8 oz bottle from a friend who owns a perfume store.She found it under a shelf when she was rearranging her store.It smells divine!The opening is soft and raspy and the quality ingredients really shine through!The vanilla and fruits mixed with the aldehydic opening are stunning, with creamy sandalwood in the drydown.Longevity and sillage are A+.They don't make fragrances like this anymore.

18 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2012)

Celine Dion Signature by Celine Dion

April Downy Fresh up top, and a faint chemical amber down below. Probably gives a laundered impression to others, which isn't a wholly bad thing.

17 December, 2011

Samsara by Guerlain

I walked into a dusty old perfume store a few months back and spotted a vintage bottle of Samsara. My first thought: "well HELLO there!" This is now in the top 3 fragrances that I own, and I am never disappointed!To be quite frank, I only appreciate the standard Guerlains more as time goes by; the more I learn about the art of perfumery, the more beautiful they become. Here's looking at you Shalimar!

13 December, 2011

Notorious by Ralph Lauren

Upon first sniffing Notorious, I smell lemony-black currant, which is soon replaced by the chocolate note. The floral notes dance around in the background but never fully announce their arrival. After the initial blast of fruity-chocolate notes recedes, all I smell is a slightly raunchy patchouli for the duration of the 2-3 hours that this scent lasts. It is a notch above the rest of the mainstream plethora, but the dry down isn't as seamless as it could be. Perhaps it will grow on me as my nose grows more accustomed to the arrangement of notes , as is often the case.

Edit** I stand corrected,once again.Several weeks prior to posting above review I had sprayed this scent on my hand at least 5 or 6 times, and was put off by it every time.As I wrote, I was smelling it intermittently, and as the fragrance developed on my skin, it lost that raunchy edge that it has always had. It was replaced with a mixture of patchouli and chocolate. I guess it's possible that the dry down just smelled confused to me before. This is a pleasant scent that should be revisited if one doesn't like it the first time. Perfume truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

16 November, 2011

Sung by Alfred Sung

Does anyone know where to buy a genuine vintage sample of the original Sung? The Sung I remember was amazing. The newer version is chemical, screechy and a shadow of what it used to be. So sad.
    **received a sample of the original Sung today from a generous BNer. Spraying on the fragrance was like running into the arms of a long lost friend. I want to bathe in this stuff!

02 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2012)

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

There's not much I can say about this icon that hasn't already been said, so I wont. I will say that many other fragrances have a way of morphing into camouflaged versions of themselves in the dry down. If this were true for Opium, I would gladly wear it now, but sadly on first spritz -Opium.On the dry down, yep....still very much the same.It is beautiful but whenever I wear it, I am transported back to the days of "Dallas" and big hair.

01st November, 2011

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

The 'voodoo' that made Chanel 5 so irresistable is still hiding inside this one. She's wearing new clothes but still just as radiant as she's always been!

03 April, 2010

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

Love it. Don't know why.Assuming I do have some integrity in this matter,I believe the reviews are a little too cursory. Definately a winter fragrance. Would be too overbearing in the summer or springtime.

17 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 November, 2011)