Reviews by abc1234

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

bother of the King ( VCA PH ). It is equally marvelous.

I think the two are in the same type of smell, while Tsar has a tad more fruity and freshness hint while less soapy. It lasts a little shorter than VCA PH.

Royal !!!

Two Thumbs Up!

18th January, 2009

Carven Homme (original) by Carven

I am not a sweet/citrus sour type a guy. But Carven Homme does something right that makes feel really happy when I smell it. It is sweet, but not at all cloy and overwhelming. The type of sweetness is neutral, uplifting, subdued, formal, classy. I can't imagine how they can make such good fragrance.

It's a keeper!
18th January, 2009

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

It has a hint of Vetiver Guerlain but ligher, rounder, a tad of sweeter, more complex. Equally all time classic. No wonder so many people love it. One of my best blind buys..... wait, all my "buys" were blind! ;)

17th January, 2009

Vetiver by Guerlain

Absolutely fantastic! It is very difficult for me to describe the smell for lack of terminologies. It is clean, subdued, classy, no sweetness, pleasant, fresh, ... I didn't imagine such fragrance can exist!

Two thubms UP!

17th January, 2009

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I am not into sweet/sour(citrus) type of smell in general. A* Man struck me with a smell of pure sugar, a little burnt. It's so intense, thick, and "food" type of smell just not my cup of tea. I can't think of an occasion people wear this fragrance: certainly not at work, you don't want to offend people; not dine out since it may interfere with the smell of the food there. .....

Just say no.
16th January, 2009

Équipage by Hermès

Just got a bottle. Smells great: subtle, clean, smooth, elegant, classy. A perfect cologne for all occasions.

One of the best in my collection.

Two thumbs UP!!!
12th January, 2009

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I generally not a big fan of sweet/sour/floral scent which are too feminine to my liking. But Azzaro PH has a WONDERFUL green apple smell which is not sharp, not over-the-top. I makes me feel happy instantaneously! It has some kind of magical power. So elegant and fresh. Highly recommended (even you don't like fruity smell)
12th January, 2009

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens

After one spray on my wrist, I smell ZOO. Yes, the place with all kinds of animals, you know. Most zoos have flowers planted along side of walkways as well. It is dirty and gross. The animal smell is so realistic so vivid. Can't stand it.

But I guess this is the thing with niche fragrance, the worse they are, more popular they become. I bet average Joe can not appreciate such "high class" smell ;-)
11th January, 2009

Knize Ten by Knize

Very sharp, fresh Synthetic Leather, not real leather, smell. Yeah it's pleather! Like the fake leather in cheap cars. No class, no sophistication, not pleasant. Pass.
11th January, 2009

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Two Thumbs Up !!!!

This is a modern classic. Very sophisticated, complex, but still has a young lively spirit built in to it. It is fresh and depth, a combination works wonderfully. It is great to wear to work and other occasions as well.

Good job Hermes!
08th January, 2009

Havana by Aramis

Majestic, warm, classy. Smells very expensive. It has the depth and volume of a sophisticated modern man without being cheesily too sweet/aqua/citric etc.

The Best!!!
07th January, 2009

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

very neutral, pleasant, refreshing. Suitable for all occasions I think. I like it A LOT. My six years old son's comment: "cake" ;)
04th January, 2009

Cool Water by Davidoff

very refreshing and sweet. none offensive at all. has a romantic touch. My six-years-old son's comment: "candy"! ;)
04th January, 2009

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I am a little surprise to see so many praise from GUYS. This smells more feminine than most of female fragrance! It is extremely sweet, but not just that. It is the kind of sweetness that makes me doubt this is a male fragrance. It smells sooooo flowery, cloy sweet, feminine I can think of wearing it in public.

I bought a bottle blind. Two sprays. Thast's it! selling it now ...
02nd January, 2009 (last edited: 17th January, 2009)

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I bought a big bottle based on all the rave review here. It is not bad but nothing extraordinary. Very clean smell, so much so it smells EXACTLY like a common bar of soap or laundry detergent! No complexity, no change what so ever. Very disappointed.
02nd January, 2009

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

This is a very powerful and complex fragrance. I am a newbie and bought this solely based on reviews here on Basenotes. Man what a wonderful product! The first day I got it, I was kinda shocked by the 'weird' smell as I was used to sweet/refresh generic fragrances from Macy's. After a few weeks, now I am totally hooked by it. It touches the emotions like no other. In late night when I working on computer and surfing the net, I kept sniffing it on my wrist and couldn't get enough of it. I really is a classic.

I don't have all the terminologies -- it has a uplifted tobacco hint, a very pleasant and intoxicate one. After a while it fads into a clean Guerlain Vetiver smell but with much more texture and layers. Very warm hearted feeling.

Two thumbs WAY UP!!!
01st January, 2009 (last edited: 04th January, 2009)

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

It has similarity to the great Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar, but lighter and less soapy. It is formal yet not boring, romantic but not tacky, suitable for work place and parties. It does seem go down fairly quickly like within a hour or two, I can hardly detect much anymore.
31st December, 2008 (last edited: 18th January, 2009)

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

The best at the top of classy fragrances I tried: Guerlain Vetvier, Givenchy Gentelman, Burberry London, YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme and others.

Love it!
30th December, 2008 (last edited: 02nd January, 2009)

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Very light indeed. After a while the smell turns into something like salty sea water and very noticeable "fishy" hint. I guess it tried too hard to mimic "aqua ocean". Not my cup of tea.
29th December, 2008 (last edited: 30th December, 2008)