Reviews by Royal

Royal's avatar
    Royal

Lynx Twist by Axe / Lynx

Generic fresh with a touch of vomit. One of the worst things I've ever smelt. The other new release, Rise, is much better.

22 March, 2010

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

The opening of this is an absolute blast! The people saying Fruit Loops are completely right, after five or so minutes I definitely smell Fruit Loops. It dries down to the normal M7 woods, but a bit lighter and almost "fizzier." The top-notes are just so fun that I can't help but love it though.

15 January, 2010

Zara Man Winter by Zara

Absolutely abysmal, there is nothing of note in this fragrance. One of the most insipid, least inspiring fragrances I've ever smelt.

22 December, 2009

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

Whoa, this seems like I'm sniffing something completely different than anyone else. What do I get? Vetiver, vetiver, vetiver in spades, supported by some citrus. And, it's very nice, natural smelling vetiver with a nice lifespan. I can even see chunks of it floating around in the juice. A great buy for the fifteen or so dollars it's found. The Beckham line in a whole is very above-average.

14 December, 2009

Emporio Armani RED He by Giorgio Armani

Identical to Emporio Armani White He except for the bottle. The box even says as much. Should be removed from the database. The scent is good though.

03 June, 2009

cK one Summer 2008 by Calvin Klein

Such a good summer fragrance - this errs a little more on the masculine side than previous ck One summer fragrances; probably due to the increased presence of both woods and musk. The woods and musk are not heavy - in fact, it is very grapefruit heavy - grapefruit heavy frags always work well with my skin chemistry, so I might be a little biased towards my opinion of this frag. Truly a winner for hot climates, I gave this a test-run a few days ago when we hit 90 degrees in Florida, and it held up like a champ. If you live in a warm climate, it'd be very hard to say no to this one.

Sunset Voyage by Nautica

As said before, this is great as long as it lasts. Which isn't very long at all, which is very disappointing. However, I find that sweat tends to completely re-activate this fragrance - breathing on my wrists is more than enough to "wake" it up to write this review. So, this is strictly to be worn outside, in warm weather. Anything less and it dies very quickly. When it's there, it's great. The dry-down straight-up smells like a beach while it's there, with some spices and tropical fruits thrown in. Then again, I've been turning heads all day today, so either this blends in with my body chemistry and smells completely amazing, or I just look good today. I really don't know which.

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

Who would have thought that getting the Le Male formula done right would come in a four dollar bottle. This is a very heavy vanilla, and a very close cousin to Le Male. However, this scent has a subtlety to it that Le Male is missing. It could be that the vanilla is toned down and a bit of tobacco is present. There is no reason to drop the 60 dollars that a bottle of Le Male commands when a one ounce bottle of Cuba Gold can be found for four dollars, and is far better.

Aspen for Men by Coty

Anyone claiming that this will replace Cool Water or Green Irish Tweed in someone's wardrobe is dead long. This lacks all the youthful edge of Cool Water, or the well-blended elegance of Green Irish Tweed, leaving me with something barely worth its two and a half dollar price tag.

FCUK Him by French Connection

This is really good. People always said that Mugler Cologne smells like cleanliness. I don't get it. This, straight out, smells like a clean man. There's no chance of offending someone with this fragrance - it smells like you just jumped out of the shower all day long. Mine came with an all-over shower gel that simply amplifies this feeling and greatly enhances the scents longevity. This would be a great 'first scent' for a friend who's afraid of cologne - pick up a box set at TJMaxx for twenty dollars.

06 March, 2009

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

It's Le Male. Everyone knows it. By all means, it's quite a good sweet vanilla scent that women love. However, I see absolutely no reason to buy it when I can walk into my local Perfumania and pick up a 1.17oz of Cuba Gold for four dollars. Cuba Gold is basically a "better" knockoff of Le Male. And it's so much cheaper!

10th February, 2009

Tokyo by Kenzo

This one is quite unique, it has one foot planted firmly in the oriental camp, with the heavy ginger and aromatic woods, but the other foot is planted firmly in a fresh citrus category - this is extremely orange/grapefruit heavy. Thus, it is a fragrance that can be worn just as well in below freezing temperatures as it can in hot, humid Florida summers. Tokyo's longevity is fairly weak - but I've found a second application about 30 minutes after the first completely eliminates this problem (even if this may be because I'm now wearing eight sprays!) This is a bottle that never feels "wrong" to reach for - just spring for the 3.4, because you'll be making many returns back to the bottle in the course of a day.

06 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2009)

Axe Lab by Axe / Lynx

A very good casual scent, especially for the eight (!) dollars I spent for my 1.7. It dies out pretty fast, but works well for refreshing after a workout or going out with the guys.

01st January, 2009

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

This is THE scent for hot climates. An extreme compliment getter. I could see this working terribly in a climate that wasn't hot and humid, but it is the perfect Florida scent. Highly recommended.

31st December, 2008