Reviews by Promethea

Promethea's avatar
    Promethea

Trouble by Boucheron

Horrible. Agressive, green smelling oriental that, as it develops, creates the impression of strong aftershave attempting in vain to conceal BO. When will I learn not to snap up blind buys just because they're very cheap? More fool me.

14 October, 2010

L by Lolita Lempicka

Finally a Lolita Lempicka scent I can wear! Strangely, I don't find this anything like as cloying and overpowering as the regular or the au masculin. Beautiful vanilla & orange and I seem to be in the minority of thinking it does indeed smell like the ocean, a sort of salty note cutting through the sweetness. I'm not really getting the cinnamon which is a pity as I love cinnamon greatly but I'm more than happy with this perfume.

28 August, 2009

Brit Red by Burberry

Very surprised to find how much that I was repulsed by this - I am generally very fond of of spicy, foodie smells and couldn't wait to try this. The descriptions of the notes elsewhere seem accurate enough, it's just that somehow it all adds up to a mixture that is, to my nose, utterly nauseating. I want to love it the way the other reviewers love it because from their descriptions, this scent should be perfect and I feel I'm missing out hugely. Ah well, off to gift it to one of my relatives who may love it more than me.

17 February, 2009

Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I was very taken with the story of this perfume and wanted to like the fragrance but I really don't - the mixture of fruit and aquatic gubbins is just not something I want to smell like. Shame - my loss and poor taste, I'm sure.

03 February, 2009

J'Adore by Christian Dior

Yuck. If I was trying this blind, I would have guessed this a very cheap perfume indeed. A nasty, synthetic, almost metallic peach smell dominates this when sniffing it on my wrist. Sillage is apparently impressive - my flatmate recoiled at the smell from a distance of 12 feet to ask in polite disgust what on earth I was wearing. And that from one small spay to my wrist. Closer examination of the scent from said flatmate elicted the further opinion that the scent at close quarters smelled like BO being covered by cheap scent. Not a keeper.

02 February, 2009

Le Feu D'Issey Light by Issey Miyake

I guess those folks who love a 'clean, fresh' smell may like this a lot but on me this smells like an upscale toilet freshener. Hard to hate but hard to go nuts over either.

25 January, 2009

Amarige by Givenchy

Horrible, HORRIBLE soapy smell broadcasting out to the planet at gigawatt levels. I made the mistake of spraying this onto my wrist and I thought I'd never be able to remove it. This smell made me feel nauseous and headachey too so it's a real keeper. Why can't scents I love possess this extraordinary potency?

25 January, 2009

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

This is just lovely! a gorgeous mix of coffee, caramel and lavender. I have seen some reviews which mentioned that the coffee note disappears for them pretty quickly or begins to turn sour. This wasn't the case for me (or possibly I am easily pleased by bad, cheap coffee ;) Lasts all day too. Wonderful! I just wish it wasn't so expensive - if I hadn't found it half price in the Fortnum & Mason January sale, I could never have afforded it.

16 January, 2009

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris

I adore this - so unusual a scent. Incense-y and hay like and very very sexy. Not just because of the Jane Birkin connection but if the London of the 1960s could have a smell, this is exactly what I would imagine it being like.

06 January, 2009