Reviews by MDHiggins

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Cough drops..., yuck yuck yuck. I appreciate a nice masculine smell but this smells so heavy. Not a scent for the modern man.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Too feminine. Too much violet leaves and not enough woods..., can't do it. But to be fair, I didn't give it a full days wearing...

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

A great Armani frag that often gets overlooked. Truly a "modern, fresh and woodsy" fragrance. Only compliments on this one. Great for daytime/evening wear. I prefer this one over Code and Emporio. I can;t seem to figure out why Code gets so many more purchases than this one..., it's got to be the sweetness of code that attracts 18 year olds.

In any case, a really solid buy for late 20's/early 30's. Probably a bit too modern for someone older and a little too masculine for someone younger.

Brit for Men by Burberry

I tried..., I really tried. After 3 days of wear I just couldn't deal. It's way too feminine. I don't smell anything but baby powder and a freshly showered woman. (Which by the way is a nice smell..., just not for a man's cologne.)

My wife enjoyed this on me so I won't give it a thumbs down..., but really not a good one. If you want sweet powder go with Armani Code (which I don't really like either..., but it at least smells masculine to me.)

31st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 08th February, 2009)

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

Great fragrance!!!! TERRIBLE AD CAMPAIGN. Seriously..., it looks like a bunch of small children. I get what the director was aiming for when he said he didn't want "another handsome guy staring smolderingly into the camera" but to pick a bunch of prepubescent teens (apparently they're 18, but its not like you can tell) was a terrible move...., especially if they're hoping to attract young (eeck.., 30) business types like yours truly.

I love the fresh woody scent. You don't find many of these around in my opinion. Sure, many claim the to be, but are nothing more that a giant bottle of grampa's after shave. It's similar in style to a lot of the old favorites kicking around with notes such as vetiver and black pepper, yet somewhat different with it's fresh funk. A great frag for anyone under the age of 40 who doesn't want to buy another aqua-something-or-other.

If your idea of a trendy hair style doesn't involve "business in the front, party in the back" (AKA: the infamous mullet) this might work for you.. ;)

24th January, 2009

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I really think everyone gives this frag a bad score simply because it's a fresh/aquatic that smells like a lot of other things. One should judge a frag on it's own merits and not whether or not you like this particular type or whether it smells like other frags.

The thing with "cologne people" is that they all have this deep-seeded desire to fill the room with an eye watering, nose scratching, sneezing, musky, mossy, mildewy, thick-arm-pit-sludge reminiscent of grandpa coming in after a long day down at the shop. Everything remotely (dare I say) "trendy" and "fresh" automatically sucks because it's probably worn by a guy who has an attractive women under 130lbs. on his arm..., how dare he...., *gasp*

The fact remains..., if you're 25-35 and looking for something that modern and youngish women will smile at..., this watery start, light woodsy finish is a good pick.

11th January, 2009