Reviews by mrcologneguy

mrcologneguy's avatar
    mrcologneguy

L'Homme Idéal by Guerlain

Pleasant, sweet, almondy, women like it. Well-priced, and the bottle is good-looking. What's not to love? Don't overthink it, just enjoy. No, it is not on par with Guerlain masterpieces like Derby and Heritage. Still, it's a worthwhile addition to the collection. Surprisingly fun and fresh, more in the realm of (underrated) Guerlain Homme than the brand's legacy output. Not a bad thing when you're in the mood for a quick, modern, spray-and-go. It's highly versatile, safe for a wide variety of applications. Eventually L'Homme Ideal will find a passionate fan base on BN. Can't wait til we see threads about the "exquisite, rare, vintage formulation." Its amazing and quirky "cherry Pla-Doh" accord seems too good to last. Buy it before corporate bean counters dictate a cheaper, less interesting formulation.

04th April, 2015

Cedre Blanc by Creed

Plays well in comparison to the other Creed Acquas in in-store sniff tests, but ultimately it's done in by a shrill chemical undertone that emerges about ten minutes in. Shame, too. The opening is very nice. The middle and end are a real letdown. I keep trying to like it, but so far not so good. Kind of wish I'd gone for Vetiver Geranium instead as my first selection from this line. Guessing it might grow on me eventually, but in the meantime, there are other Acquas I'd recommend over this one.

21st November, 2014

No.032 Bay Rum by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

A beautiful, well-constructed bay rum. If you're even halfway interested in this genre it is a must buy. A perfect spicy fragrance for chilly weather wear. Jump on it.

06th November, 2014 (Last Edited: 15th November, 2014)

That Man by Revlon

A masculine classic from 1958, similar in spirit to ultra-rare Woodhue For Men. No kidding, it also reminds me of vintage, pricey Patou Pour Homme. Still can't figure out why this isn't a massive BN favorite, especially at current affordable prices. Warm, woody, ambery, a nice shot of oak moss. It's from a long lost time and place when men could go into a drugstore, spend less than $10, and come out with a very nice, high quality scent. Old Spice is the only remaining scent in that price/value range. If you love vintage fragrances, especially men's classics from the '50s-'60s, That Man is a must buy.

28th May, 2014

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Lots of comments here referring to a soapy smell, but it's really more like fabric softener. If you want to go around smelling like an overdose of scented laundry chemicals, you've come to the right place. A lot of fragrance fans crave that effect now and then, no doubt. There are worse reasons for wearing fragrances. This one works on both a utilitarian and fragrance artistic level. You'll handily accomplish the fresh laundry scent goal, and veer into genuine high-quality fragrance territory. You can do far worse in the territory of designer perfumery. This one's worth the midrange price point it's currently at. Wouldn't be surprised to see first edition bottles going at increased prices someday. Beautiful packaging and high-quality juice often equals candidate for cheapass reformulation and repackaging. Get the good version while it's still out there.

01st May, 2014

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

It's Millesime Imperiale with fizzy grape soda pop thrown over the top. Works surprisingly well. Somehow invokes images of its namesake, similar to the way Himalaya pulls off the evocative name trick. Overall, another impressive Creed release.

Worried about SMW's supposed feminine connotations? Well don't be a baby about stuff like that. Come along for the sparkling, good clean fun. Sure, it does wear a little feminine. But I get compliments from women when I wear it, so who cares? Maybe not right if your intention is to smell masculine to other men. Goes without saying that it would smell great on women, too.

Creed is great at mixing some unexpected masterpieces into their extensive collection. SMW is another one. You have to give them credit for coming up with quirky stuff like this. Bravo. SMW is a fine addition to any collection. You might not wear it often, but it's likely you won't have much else like it in your collection. Really hits the spot when you're in the right mood for it.

11th March, 2014

Ungaro II by Ungaro

I found a later edition bottle in an out of the way fragrance shop. Major score. As others have stated here, Ungaro II plays a lot like a sophisticated and slightly modernized Jicky, only with a distinctly masculine skew. Civet yes, but on my skin it's not the horrid civet bomb that others have mentioned. It's all very well-blended, smooth and delicious. Heavy on classic French vibes. It's hard to argue with such a winning proposition. Ungaro II pulls it off with highly admirable style and grace. If you find it, buy it immediately. Currently exhibits strong investment potential, if you can resist using the entire bottle with reckless abandon. . . it's that addictive, and you have been warned. . .

27th April, 2013

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Mrscologneguy bought it for me many years ago, and it's still a somewhat guilty pleasure. Guilty, because the sweet melon notes should not be so enjoyable in a fragrance worn by mature men. . . but WTF, who are you wearing this fragrance for anyway? Strictly to be applied for personal delight, but don't be surprised if women love it on you, too. Strangely strong compliments from a wide variety of female co-workers. My wife still likes it on me. Hard to argue with that kind of performance from any designer fragrance.

06th March, 2013

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Un Bois Vanille is a warm, woody, buttery vanilla fragrance. You should know what you're getting into when you try it. So, what's the fuss? Either you love these fragrance elements, or you don't. If you love them, you won't find any finer presentations of them. Un Bois Vanille is superb. Vanilla fans shouldn't think twice about buying. All other fragrance affcionados should jump on it, too. Buy it now, before horribly misguided reformulation wrecks it. Soon to be a legendary woody vanilla. You will find no finer.

26th February, 2013

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

A lovely lemon vanilla fragrance, with unexpected complexity and subtleties that come out with repeated wearings. The resulting effect is elegant, and a bit understated. Well-priced for the quality, and the packaging is beautiful, too. One of the better men's Chanels.

17th November, 2012

Aveda Pure-Fume Tonic for Men by Aveda

This one is far more spicy and warm than the "Pure-formance" Aveda men's fragrance from 2008. It's one of my favorites, in perennial high rotation for chilly weather. The "Pure-formance" version is heavy on menthol notes. The 1999 version has little-to-no menthol. It's all about warm, spicy effects. I get lots of compliments when I wear it. Well-priced for the quality.

10th November, 2012

Men Pure-Formance by Aveda

Very much a fine rendition of what you might think of as "spa" smell. It's the aroma that wafts from just about any expensive day spa I've ever visited. Very nice for when you want to smell clean, herbal-fresh, and modern. Well-priced, for such strong quality ingredients. Recommended to those who seek a modern fresh effect. Only caveat: go light on the trigger. It's strong stuff. Just one or two sprays and you're good for several hours.

10th November, 2012

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Well-documented on BN as a dreamy and beautiful boozy vanilla fragrance. If you're even remotely a fan of this genre you should dive right in. Vanilla fans will be in heaven, and others who want a high-quality vanilla gourmand will be very pleased. My wife loves this on me, and I wear it frequently. Well worth the investment. Highly unlikely that you'll be disappointed. Buy now, before some corporate bean counter comes up with a flimsy excuse for reformulation. Fragrances of the caliber are often too good to last.

05th May, 2012

Reflection Man by Amouage

Weird fascination at first sniff, and it hasn't let up yet. Coming down to the last few drops of a generous department store sample, I sprang for a full bottle. It grows on you. If you haven't sniffed it you should think bizarre, bright, chemical air freshener. But it's much deeper in the uniquely so-bad-taste-it's-good style that Amouage is famous for. Seems to be a tweaked version of a bright, floral, somewhat watery, and "clean" aromachemical conflagration. On the too-sweet side for casual wear in public, unless you actually want to shock the hell out of innocent bystanders with the atomic sweet chemical cloud surrounding you. There are times when I actually crave an outre effect like that. To all other casual observers beware. This one is for fans of slightly disturbing and obnoxious fragrance statements. Your statement will be broadcast loud and clear.

12th April, 2012

Pasha Fraîcheur Menthe by Cartier

It's a lovely, light, slightly minty riff on Cartier's superb Pasha. Less spicy, more fresh and minty than the original. Gentlemen, if you ever have to dress in a suit and tie, Pasha Fraicheur Menthe is a foolproof complement to the overall formal image. You'll love it. Works surprisingly well in casual situations, too - not stuffy at all. Very well-priced for the quality. Has a place an in any comprehensive men's wardrobe.

07th March, 2012

Coromandel by Chanel

I love it. It's pretty heavy on patchouli, almost too much so for my taste, but the patchouli is redeemed by an array of complementing rich, smoky, and sweet notes that play in and out all day long. One little spray to the chest and you will be entertained for hours.

Coromandel is a superb value. One of the best, strongest and longest-lasting in my collection. Beautiful packaging. Might be my favorite Chanel.

I have to say this, too: it seems too good to last. If you're at all interested, you should buy a bottle before corporate bean counters decide that reformulation would be a good idea. Looking into my crystal ball, I'm seeing Basenoters in the year 2022 starting threads about how the rare 2012 formulation is definitely worth paying triple the price. Yes, it is that good.

15th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 14th January, 2013)

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

An extraordinarily welcome addition to any serious fragrance collection. One of a kind, superior quality ingredients, and the composition works magnificently. As others have stated, it's often considered one of THE power fragrances. I often wear it when I'm in power business mode, and it performs without fail. Long-lasting, perfect projection and sillage, a superb complement to formal business wear. For particularly daring thrills, try it when you're just knocking about town on a Saturday afternoon. I find Vintage Tabarome to be amazingly versatile. Truly, if you're a collector, and have the opportunity to purchase Vintage Tabarome, jump on it immediately. A solid investment by any reasonable measure.

15th February, 2012

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

A dreamy, beautiful, rich citrus. Not much cedar in the house, but who cares, when the overall citrus concoction is this perfect? Sparkling top notes, rich middle, smooth drydown, all wrapped up in a sophisticated, richly historic setting. Highly recommended. A short-lived scent, but you'll happily and lavishly reapply. By far one of Creed's best.

08th August, 2011

Green Valley by Creed

I get strong, vivid images of fresh cut grass, wildflowers, a sunny day on a hillside pasture. What's not to love? It's an amazing spring/summer scent. Works well at other times of the year too, when you want a flashback to a beautiful spring day. Rumored to be discontinued, I can only say pounce on it immediately. It's a very good investment, even if you just want to use it all up in the next few months. Easily one of my all time favorite spring/summer scents.

07th May, 2011

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It's easy to understand why Serge Lutens fans have a tendency to be disappointed in L'eau. It's not another of his spicy baroque fantasies, to begin with. Complicating matters: it is rich, subtle, and complex, but it takes several wearings before its finer qualities come to the forefront. Yes, L'eau does seem like a high-quality laundry scent at first - and that is very welcome by some fragrance fans, no doubt. But interesting and subtle effects emerge with repeated wearings. There's a clever "burnt starch" element, some pleasant and pungent florals, various fresh effects, and the whole thing is delivered with amazing clarity and longevity. L'eau has been disparaged for linearity, but the linearity strikes me more as a loop than a straight line. Various elements take turns at the forefront all day long. I find it very entertaining, a perfect scent for office wear, or whenever I want something subtle, sophisticated, and versatile. Hard to imagine a situation in which this superior clean and fresh scent would not be welcome. If you casually dismissed it after only one or two samplings, give it another try. Needs to be sprayed, not modestly dabbed.

20th April, 2011

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A beautiful and unexpectedly perfect rendition of the scent of fresh-milled oak wood. That's not a scent I ordinarily would have coveted, but once I sniffed this beautiful and unusual masterpiece I was immediately hooked, as in "Where have you been all my life?!?" Sampled via the encouragement of Basenoters, who were right yet again. It is easily one of the best of the Lutens line. A clever masterpiece. Sold as unisex, but it seems way more on the masculine side to me. So glad I shelled out the cash for this one. It's one of my best buys in a long time.

06th April, 2011

English Fern by Penhaligon's

Happy 100th anniversary for this beautiful fragrance! It was love at first sniff for me. Basenoters' descriptions nailed it perfectly. I knew I had to have it after reading the BN reviews, and have not been the least bit disappointed. It's a superb British dandy fragrance. The packaging is beautiful, the juice itself bespeaks history, culture, good manners, and every time I wear it I feel so witty and charming and well-dressed. Few fragrances affect such a deep and instantaneous level of satisfaction with me. Modestly priced for such a classic. Highly recommended to any discerning fragrance fanatic. A touchstone in any well-rounded collection.

06th April, 2011

Sartorial by Penhaligon's

It's supposed to tell a story via intricate layers of fragrance. Well, here's the story: once there was a cute, flirty salesgirl behind a fragrance counter. A guy said, "Hi, what's new?" Later, he woke up with an $80 credit card bill, and a tiny bottle of Sartorial.

It's lovely stuff. Refined, and it always makes you feel well-dressed. Hence, the name. Very strong, lasts all day. Recommended for men who want to feel sophisticated and dressed-up.

15th March, 2011

Woodhue for Men by Fabergé

I bought a bottle of the new version, and it reminds me a lot of the vintage ladies version circa 1966. My mom wore it a lot. I like it. It's pretty short-lived. Maybe not quite as rich and long-lasting as the vintage ladies scent.

I read somewhere that vintage Woodhue For Men is exactly the same thing as the ladies version, just repackaged so guys wouldn't be embarrased about buying or wearing it. I don't know if that's true, but it's a good story.

The bottle looks a lot like the vintage bottle I remember.

Does it smell like the original Men's version? Dunno. Never smelled it.

Overall, I paid $20 for a bottle of it. Not bad for a little nostalgia trip. And the smell is really pretty good. I'll probably wear it a few more times before I make up my mind about whether it's actually good stuff. In any case, you could spend far more and do far worse.

Update Aug 11: ditched it. I got tired of the generally weak, synthetic vibe. A kind basenoter sent me a sample of the rich original -- it is divine by comparison. It would be great to have a decent reproduction of this back in circulation.

18th September, 2010 (Last Edited: 26th August, 2011)

Héritage by Guerlain

Blind buy of the EdP version, and it's so fine, so rich and complex, a perfect balance of sweet and spice - I'm afraid to try the EdT, since it could only be a letdown after this. Apply sparingly, but don't worry about longevity or sillage. You'll have plenty, and then some. IMO it's a bit too pronounced for formal business situations, unless you use only a microscopic amount. Otherwise, it's a fine one for a night by the fireplace. Warm, rich, spicy - an extemely high-mileage fragrance. Superb bang for the buck. Highly unlikely you'll smell it on others, either - though I could imagine the women in your life stealing a quick spray now and then. It would smell ravishing on beautiful, confident woman.

05th September, 2010

Dior Homme Cologne by Christian Dior

Highly recommended. I get lots of compliments on this one - more than the EdT and Intense versions even. As others have noted, it's close to the EdT, but a bit more citrus and fresh. It's very, very good stuff. The relatively short longevity (I get about an hour of decent top and middle notes) is both its charm and curse. You will be compelled to re-apply, guaranteed. If you're a fan of layering, it makes a good first course - skip the EdT and dive straight into Intense for your second layer. So rich and inviting for an EdC. It's among my most-recommended fragrances.

25th June, 2010

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

Superb. The best of Dior Homme, all knobs turned up to 11. It's a lingering, haunting, gourmand version of Dior Homme. The vanilla is turned way up, and it's very, very pleasant. Makes a good late evening fragrance, perfect for a quiet night at home. My wife loves this one on me. I love it for just about any occasion, though I keep the application on the discreet side for office wear. Dior Homme Cologne [not the same thing as Dior Homme] is highly recommended, too. I even like the deodorant. Not so fond of the bland, citrus-y sport flanker. Overall, though, a home run. Wish they made a bar soap to go with it all.

29th May, 2010

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Escape . . . more like "Flee" as in move away from this as quickly as possible. I wore this early on, when it was new and I didn't know better. It might be the sort of allergic reaction I get to this one. Hits me like bug spray - red, watery eyes, acrid chemical smell that burns a little. Can't imagine what I was thinking when I first purchased it. Maybe the fruity-chemically thing struck me as new and trendy and hip at the time. Now it strikes me as atrocious chemical meltdown. Can't do it.

21st March, 2010

Aqua Velva Ice Blue by Williams

If you're looking for the "good" version of Aqua Velva, try Alfred Sung Hei. Love it. Seems very similar to me, only higher quality, and a bit more smooth. Pleasantly short-lived, too. Just enough to get the classic "daddy" effect, not so much that you're gagging on it four hours later. Apply wiht caution, though. Even though longevity is short, the initial blast is strong.

01st March, 2010

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

An extraordinary sensual treat. If you like warm, spicy, sexy, dark sugar sweet -- don't think, just buy. I am completely knocked out by this brilliant composition. Rich and complex - those two words don't even begin to describe. . .

19th February, 2010