Reviews by Zgb

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Potion Royal Black by Dsquared2

Fickle. I'll try to explain. In some moments it is commercialized and frivolous whilst in other moments it seems completely the opposite, distinct, dose of seriousness etc. In any case there was some work over this fragrance, an effort, that can't be denied. There is quality here as well but that attrited/rubbish commercialism is in the pores of the fragrance and unfortunately quite notably so. A bit dark and sweet - indeed we've smelled it before in many similar forms of many brands. However it is not that much characterless, well not as Gucci Guilty line of fragrances is. Potion Royal Black wants to be a good quality fragrance but also trendy. It most certainly succeeds in this, however not completely. So it has character, quality and is also trendy however not the least bit originality in it. It is hard to make anything revolutional these days and sometimes even some niche brands have difficulties in that, so Potion Royal Black does get my attention to a degree however not a deep bow. A very nice try.

12 February, 2014

Narciso Rodriguez For Him Eau de Parfum Intense by Narciso Rodriguez

What a musk bomb indeed. I agree with the unisex notion but that's not a problem at all. It is quite a powerful scent but also mild in character, unobtrusive in its strength. Worn by the strong regardless of gender and by those in search of peculiar style which will express their presence further more. Quality of the fragrance is almost niche and the price is not that of the niche at all, so you also get a significant return of invest with gorgeous fragrance.

12 February, 2014

Luna Rossa Extreme by Prada

Incredible how it varies in the first hour on the skin. Firstly it is Fahrenheit Absolute + Prada Man only to become JPG Le Male + Prada Man in 60:40 ratio and to finally succumb completely to Prada Man with just a tad bit echo of the previous mentioned.

Quality is here but zero originality. What I also would like to mention that it doesn't project well for this type of fragrance.

06 February, 2014

Aqua Amara by Bulgari

Fresh, full of life. It has strength, quality and character, albeit no originality whatsoever. Indeed there is remote, but clear note of Bvlgari Aqua Marine which I dislike and a tad bit Boss in Motion if you carefully search for it.

If you really love this house and its line then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed as this is nothing new, nothing special. If you're the one from the masses, and a newb, then this will be more than fine.

I'm no longer a newb but I really, really appreciate this scent and how it glows on me. It didn't actually captivate me but I have to admit I find it rather pleasant to a point I might consider it more seriously.

06 February, 2014

A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather by Thierry Mugler

Well, this is indeed A*Men without the tar note, however the leather I'm not feeling at all. The DNA of the original A*Men is too strong here. With B*Men, for instance, the DNA was there but B*Men had a character of its own, LPdC barely manages to radiate somewhat differently than the original. LPdC is tad bit more refined, that much I'll give it credit. The first day I sprayed it on, I thought I just wasted my money. The 2nd day, I was almost relieved, but I still need some convincing, that is I need to wear it more. Coffee note is more prominent here whilst chocolate is more prominent in the original. What "saves the entire story is that on the outside LPdC emmits in tad bit different way, however not fundamentally different. I still don't get and "get" that leather note in it. I was really expecting something truly formidable like B*Men which I really like, or maybe even love, or Pure Havane (Pure Malt I never tried unfortunately). I see it gets a lot of positive ratings here, however I'm not completely impressed, albeit I have to admit I do like the fact that I have it in my collection. This one is, in fact, made for those who truly love and adore this brand and I have to respect that fact.

I'll rate this positive for a very, very, very thin margin.

17 January, 2014

Armani Eau de Nuit by Giorgio Armani

I'm not thrilled, however the longer it stood on my skin, the more I started liking it. There is a certain vibe/connection with Dior Homme here, however far from that I'd say they're the same. Albeit the fact that Armani Eau de Nuit is not original at all, it is not completely without character. So, it's not strong or "strong" but it has something that lifts the eyebrow up in "interesting indeed, Watson" fashion. Initially I was sure it'll be weak but it showed in way it is a quite "determined" fragrance. My liking aside, unfortunately it is attrited even in a sense of marketing, but then again it is not bland. In one moment I agree it is unrefined, unfinished even, but then again everything is somehow here. Indeed it is also quite artificial, unnatural, but then again what is natural these days?
    Suma sumarum - quite solid, not for bashing around, however neither is it near for pedestaling. (13.07.2013.)

05 January, 2014

Made to Measure by Gucci

Follows the Guilty line of scents, but a bit richer. Despite being rich it is of an insipid character, thus for a crowd that wears it. Imagine a brat in his early or middle twenties, dresses like he made it all, drives a good car too, but his only background is his dads money. Loud brat lacking in eloquence, books are an abstraction, good attire is a must - he is one of the "what's wrong with this planet"...and so is this fragrance.

26 December, 2013

Brit Rhythm for Men by Burberry

Not something I'm used to from Burberry. Original Brit is, well, original. New Year Edition 2010 is sharper take of the original, minus powdery note and got me compliments + it lasts and projects.

Brit Rhythm is sweet candy, a tad bit cheap cherry liqueur like fragrance that has nothing to do with the original idea of what Brit was/is. It is characterless, uninventive, bland, tacky and sleazy. Very disappointing indeed.

23 December, 2013

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Around 4 years ago I've tried it, on paper only. After quite a lot of them tested, at that time even more than few in a day, B*Men didn't stand out. Today I own it, de facto a blind buy.

Quite cold and sort of technological. Very urbane and for winter. There is certain holiday fling to it, I have to admit. Very Masculine, young like, a bit cold and corporate, progressive. Liqueur indeed and a bit gourmand, higher notes than A*Men and a hint of something green. In its own peculiar way, albeit cold way, it is invasive as A*Men which is hot and burned. B*Men contains DNA of A*Men, but then again they're not the same at all. B*Men is elating but cold, it also glows, radiates not so strongly as A*Men does, but more than enough to meet the price. Rhubarb is strong and very unique in B*Men, anis is quite complementary, patchouli and musk are present but not loud. Vanilla is lost in the midst of mentioned and the unspecified spices. B*Men is quite refined, but if you spray too much, you might get the synthetic, ugly part of him. One spray will do the job - it'll last, it'll project. Strong character is present just like with A*Men and I also dare say that B*Men is quite unique, original scent. It was discontinued rather suddenly and went to the perfume past without a glam. Too bad as I believe that, had it been released not in 2004. but in 2008. when it was, ironically - supposedly discontinued, it would've been en par with Pure Havane, Pure Malt and other flankers. This way B*Men is forgotten and lost amidst many flankers that were released in the meanwhile, which is in my subjective opinion a big injustice for B*Men.
    B*Men deserves more attention, more mentioning, more recognition.

12 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2013)

Legend by Montblanc

Boring, uninventive, unoriginal. Reminds me a lot of Trussardi Uomo 2011. and Cavalli Just Him 2013, then Gucci Guilty. Before all those mentioned there was Boss Selection that started it all. Sweet and fresh, a bit cold in character. The composition of notes implies that this is a complex scent, which is far from the truth. This is the perfume for people who operate on the "SA pointed it out, it's the newest" level. I don't know on what path this house was before this fragrance as I've never tried any besides this one, but I'm sure that, on whichever path they were, they've strayed from it with this creation. Reason I'm rating it neutral, and not negative, albeit my review implies the obvious negativity, is that this scent does what it's supposed to - appease the simple masses and maybe even garner a compliment or two to a younger, well attired wearer.

04 December, 2013

Central Park by Bond No. 9

I'll rate it neutral as I'm not impressed. Sure it smells a bit like glass cleanser, for cleaning windows actually, to be more precise. Even better yet, reminds me of the smell of car washing foam. In style it's quite close to Silver Mountain by Creed but Creed is much more soft, refined mayhaps, whilst Central Park Bond No.9 is sharper and tad bit more herbal-lets say. In a way It's quite a cold fragrance, sort of aromatic and a bit green. I'd most certainly give it more credits if its price was lower. This fragrance doesn't justify its cost, but I don't think that's its ultimate flaw. Despite all, it manages to create a certain spark of emotion.

02 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2013)

The Game Intense by Davidoff

Strong, potent, thick and very sweet, too sweet. Darker version of the previous fragrance and the gin note is way intense indeed. Incredible as it may seem but the frag reminds me of chocolate layered honey biscuits, on my skin at least. I dare say this is not something that the market is abundant with. Signature is, well, in a sense unique even though the fragrance itself is not original. With all the shallowness and syntheticity, Davidoff somehow struck a chord in way that this fragrance has my sympathies and I actually, myself also in disbelief, like it...for the time being.

Invictus by Paco Rabanne

The fragrance itself is far worse and tasteless than the bottle. Firstly it copies Carolina Herrera Chic for men, but in an synthetic, loud and very unrefined manner. Later on, the residue of the former mentioned remains as it turns into something familiar again, however sour and somewhat putrid. This is a very strong, long lasting and very, very unpleasant fragrance.

L'Homme Parfum Intense by Yves Saint Laurent

At the first moment I thought I'll be most likely neutral about, but then the drydown kicked in. EDP? Really? As an idea, the scent is not that bad but the realization is utter rubbish that sticks to the skin and barely projects whatsoever. Drydown is tasteless and unrefined, so even if it was any stronger it'd cause headache. Very disappointing and characterless fragrance.

Rochas Man by Rochas

Eroticism in the bottle

I'm lucky. I'm lucky to own it and then I'm lucky that I don't have any issues with longevity or projection with it as it lasts for 8+ hours easily on me. I love it from the first moment, the first spray. It was a blind buy btw. There is a connection with Givenchy Play Intense which is stronger, sharper but somewhat more bitter. Rochas Man is more sensible, sensual and more refined. It's a real shame this fragrance is not widely available, at least not in Croatia. This is a scent of eroticism and seduction and yet again masculinity, maturity, care and responsibility for self and others around - do not be fooled by the shape of the bottle and the colour of the box. This scent was made in 1999. but it's ahead of its time, made for the future just like Le Male was or Armani Code even. A superb creation indeed.

Originality 10/10

Fragrance 10/10

Longevity 08/10

Projection 07/10

Pros: Original, gourmand, erotic, masculine, smooth, seductive, refined, longevity
    Cons: a bit synthetic if you really want to look for it, projection"

18 October, 2013

Only The Brave Tattoo by Diesel

A different take on the original

Better than the original but also different. Mostly I find it to be a gourmand scent with a sub-note of the original and yet different enough not to be considered as merely a flanker. This fragrance is result, or to say - answer to the works of Azzaro Decibel and CK Shock, however before them there was Givenchy Very Irresistible for men which is the most elegant of those listed and most likely a muse. I find Diesel Only the Brave Tattoo a loud, however a well balanced fragrance that is warm but not bright, and yet not as dark as Fahrenheit Absolute is, for instance. I understand it's not a hype, but I don't think it deserves bashing. All in all, I think this fragrance is way more than just ok, albeit more than obviously not an inspiring masterpiece.

Pros: Gourmand(if you like gourmands), potency
    Cons: not very original"

30th September, 2013

La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

denser, more refined than EDT

It's been a while since I tried it, years in fact, but I remember clearly. So, you want a more refined version of La Nuit, fine - there you have it. But it's also more intimate so if you're a party/clubbing animal or dating a lot - EDP won't cut it. EDT simply projects way more and that's that - I know because when I wear it (EDT), I reek of it and I don't even put too much. So, when to wear EDP you wonder? In the office simply to enjoy the scent without suffocating others with it, at home in privacy or if you have a close quarters/dinner at home date in your place or the place of that other person. In such conditions EDP will be ideal whilst EDT will be too brash, too loud, too "look at me", or even too "hair spray"like (I know, naughty) - in other words for the streets, for the clubs. All in all I think there'll be or already are people who appreciate the EDP version, however it's been a while and I'm noticing very few reviews and I do know that La Nuit EDT is still more or less a hype. With that I also notice that on the forums the EDP is seldom mentioned, if mentioned at all. I will agree that there's nothing spectacular about the EDP version, however I do think it is a very nice, refined, intimate scent that should not be so much under the radar.

Pros: deeper, more refined
    Cons: less projection"

18 September, 2013

Baldessarini Secret Mission by Baldessarini

In spirit of Armani Attitude

In spirit of Zino Davidoff or more yet, Armani Attitude. Too bad it's just too light with poor projection, however I do feel the whiffs of it from time to time. It is warm and pleasant, intimate scent. Sure I see it'll get bashing and in a way I think it deserves to be bashed because the concept itself is not bad at all, but the realization of it makes it appear characterless and bland on the first, and a very nice try poorly made on the second. If it was just a bit stronger...but then again, "what ifs" are "what ifs", realities and facts are realities and facts.

Pros: Light gourmand
    Cons: too light"

14 September, 2013

Fuel For Life Spirit by Diesel

Much like Givenchy Pi

There is a great connection here with Givenchy Pi. A bit lighter but not that much lighter. The list of notes doesn't contain vanilla or benzoin, but the fragrance emits such smell and that alone pushes it into those perfume waters. Amber plays, it would seem, a crucial part in all this as it is felt very well. Incense is rather discrete but there if you concentrate and then you can also feel tad bit of woody notes but just a bit as is sort of inclines to that dryness, however yet it remains sweet and bit liqueur-ish. I myself at first thought I won't like it as it doesn't represent anything new or better, but the more I'm sniffing it on my wrist the more I appreciate it and like it. I wouldn't rush to buy it, yet also I wouldn't exclude it from potential owning one day.

Pros: If you like sweet - then you're set
    Cons: not for those who don't like too sweet frags"

07 September, 2013

Burberry Sport for Men by Burberry

A good Dior Homme Sport rip off

I always highly regarded Burberry as a house that has a style of its own, but making rip offs? Really? Some do that, but not Burberry...oops - it happened. So, Burberry Sport is a good rip off with a bit tender projection, is a bit more dry and in my opinion also lacks the quality that DHS has, putting originality aside. If a person finds herself in a position of being unable to afford DHS, but really likes this type of frags, Burberry Sport is not a mistake but a good investment, otherwise just a rip off, albeit not a bad one.

Pros: Longevity, price
    Cons: originality"

24 August, 2013

Guess Seductive Homme Blue by Guess

a regular in the sea of many similar

In the spirit of Lacoste Blue, Cerruti Pour Homme, Chopard Pour Homme and Joop! Jump. I might have had better opinion, hypothetically, in case of not trying former mentioned. However, the market is saturated with spicy-woody-aromatic fragrances already to a point that this one doesn't stand out whatsoever. Longevity is ok, drydown is rather spicy but dull. A fragrance altogether is not that bad and characterless but it has absolutely nothing to offer to a person that has already developed some taste based on experience. It is a nice try though, and it's not expensive, thus it might be a good investment for a beginner who needs something casual and for the office.

Pros: spicy, longevity, not overpowering, decent
    Cons: originality"

24 August, 2013

Tempore Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Soft masculinity

Ahead of time I'd say. This fragrance reminds me a bit of Kenzo Power to which Tempore Uomo must have been a muse, and a good one as I find Kenzo Power to be a good fragrance but often shunned for it's strong, floral, femininity. Tempore Uomo is nothing about macho, however it's not that one can't find a "man" in it. It's a modern, unique fragrance, ahead of it's time with a different take, or to be precise - idea of masculinity.

Tempore Uomo is quite powdery, floral, musky with a touch of incense and woods while vetiver tries to give it a bit of sharpness so it does not completely stray into feminine waters, but that might not be enough for those who are not tolerant and open towards new ideas. Ok, I'll admit, 1999. is not new but Kenzo Power that follows the style of Tempore Uomo is of newer date, 2008. if I'm not mistaken, and is sort of off the radar but even if mentioned or commented, which is seldom, it's being "accused" for it's apparent lack of masculinity and excessive floral note domination.

Tempore Uomo, like Kenzo Power, never rattled the cages. The reason might be simply of psychological/sociological nature. Not because these fragrances "suck", that is, are not potent, strong, even smell "wrong" but because their designers had a different, contemporary idea of how a modern man should smell or better yet, not to be afraid to smell like that.

Pros: Fragrance, originality, uniqueness
    Cons: heavy, bit feminine "

02 August, 2013

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

Dense, potent, sweet, refined, dry, warm

It pretty much stays the same from the beginning to the end, but what a lovely beginning that is, the kind one wishes not to end. Honey like and woody but also sort of like a fine cognac which stayed in a barrel for decade if not more, very dry. Refined and warm, classy but without the elegance, something like a semi drunk count or viscount, maybe baron or baronet, loaded with money, careless, surrounded with curtisans and...well, never mind. Leather notes are present but not to an extent to define the fragrance, but rather just slightly support it. Patchouli is a bit more dominant, however all in all this fragrance is such a creation that one cannot discern the exact notes and that's what makes it great. I dare say that this might represent a niche version of either vintage Givenchy Gentleman, Azzaro PH or Boss No1, that means also a more luxurious type of the former mentioned. Niche as it is, and mind you, niche indeed it is, there is a price to pay and if you ask me, it's worth it.

Pros: Longevity, sillage, quality
    Cons: cloying "

29 July, 2013

Potion Blue Cadet by Dsquared2

A cheap smelling frag for a hefty price

Weak and cheap. You've heard it right, but the thing is - it's not the price that's cheap but it's a description of the fragrance itself. You know those drugstore frags such as St. Oliver, New Yorker, those cheap ones that smell nice? That's Potion Blue Cadet, albeit for a "nice" price to pay. Citrusy, barely woody and completely without character. It does last in fact but it's projection is low, actually there hardly is any. If it was any of the prior mentioned, you know, St. Oliver for instance or Bruno Banani, I would have said - FINE, really not bad - for the price, however Dsquared - this frag - that price - NOT FINE!

Pros: none
    Cons: weak, unoriginal

29 June, 2013

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Uptight, smug and stylishly classy

In the spirit of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree but more spicy and sharp, a different approach to the former mentioned. Not better, not inferior, just different. Intertwined with old, traditional and new, modern. I can't remember the last time a scent made such an emotional impact on me except for Gucci Envy for men and V&R Antidote. The moment I tried it I knew I had to have it, period! Bought the last bottle, 125 ml and it'll no longer be imported + I heard rumors about it being discontinued. Wreathed with negative and positive emotions that constantly change one after another. While wearing Antidote, at one moment I feel as if old, already lived through my life, would like more but can't, such is the way of things. All of a sudden this negative emotion is replaced with emotion of being full of life, career, good cars, fancy restaurants and beautiful women - life, life awaits, so many great things. That kind of impact this fragrance has on me. I barely walk - I'll run a marathon, this bags are heavy - I'll do 100 kg bench press, I can't even bow - I'll do a hundred push-ups.

This fragrance is playing with my emotions, mind, creates illusions then strips them down and makes you face reality just to create another illusion right after that. This fragrance is a potion, but ironically it's not the antidote, it's poison! Mesmerising poison and I need my dosage constantly! It's a terrible shame it's discontinued - if the rumor is true, that is. Albeit the fact it's summer and weather started to get hot and sultry, I enjoy wearing it, however projection and longevity suffer quite much. In reality, this is a more temperate, colder weather fragrance which will give it's most in autumn, winter and the early spring.

Conclusion - if you can find it and it does to you what it did to me - purchase it without a second thought!

Pros: classy, formal, spicy
    Cons: sillage and longevity during warmer, humid days

16 June, 2013

212 Men Summer by Carolina Herrera

Quite ok

212 Summer, hm, ok how about Cool Water Deep + a little bit, well ok a lot of Bvlgari Aqua Marine as well?

Noticed the coloring of the bottle of Cool Water Deep and 212 Summer? It's also the same. Fresh, deep, sharp and quite solid albeit not original at all. How does one make original fragrance of this type? The market is quite saturated anyway. So is this a bad frag? Absolutely not. Where CH failed with the originality they did not fail when it comes to quality.

Scent 7/10
    Originality 2/10
    Longevity 8/10
    Sillage 7/10

Suma sumarum - quite ok

Pros: Longevity, sillage, quality
    Cons: originality

12 June, 2013

Bulgari Aqua pour Homme Toniq by Bulgari

Lovely, just like the original

Nothing in particular to say about it that wasn't already been said about the original, so I'll keep it short. It's exactly the same as the original Bvlgari Aqua. Fresh, sharp, dignifying, formal and casual at the same time with good longevity and projection. Flaw, as stated already is that there's hardly any difference between this flanker and the original, thus it's also sort of disappointing. All in all it is a satisfying, summer fragrance in Bvlgari style, so you can't go much wrong with it.

Pros: Quality, scent, longevity, sillage
    Cons: no originality, pure copy

29 May, 2013

Bulgari Aqua pour Homme Marine Toniq by Bulgari

Better than the first Aqua Marine

No problems with longevity, not that I'm saying there was with the first version. All in all this one is a bit more refined and less synthetic, but despite that unimpressive and not quite memorable fragrance. Flanker of a flanker, what could one expect anyway.

Pros: Less synthetic, lasts long
    Cons: Not inventive

29 May, 2013

Soul by Oriflame

Good copy of Hugo by Hugo Boss (1995.)

Not all that bad. Reminds a lot of good old Hugo by Hugo Boss, equally synthetic, however appealing non the less. Longevity is ok and the scent is quite cheap so it's a good bargain. Daily, sporty, summer scent with a touch of character, pardon me, soul. Smelled better, have and had better, but non the less, this one doesn't deserve bashing.

Pros: Sporty
    Cons: originality, synthetic

23 May, 2013

L.12.12 Noir / Black by Lacoste

Modern with a twist of retro

Not bad at all. It has retained the bits of prior versions and yet there is this distinctive smell that reminds me of Denim Black aftershave. There's the catch, very retro scent but also somehow contemporary. Lacoste did a nice job with this one. Could have been better, mayhaps a bit stronger, but really a job well done.

Pros: stylish, distinctive
    Cons: sillage

22 May, 2013