Reviews by Zgb

Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

212 Men Summer by Carolina Herrera

Quite ok

212 Summer, hm, ok how about Cool Water Deep + a little bit, well ok a lot of Bvlgari Aqua Marine as well?

Noticed the coloring of the bottle of Cool Water Deep and 212 Summer? It's also the same. Fresh, deep, sharp and quite solid albeit not original at all. How does one make original fragrance of this type? The market is quite saturated anyway. So is this a bad frag? Absolutely not. Where CH failed with the originality they did not fail when it comes to quality.

Scent 7/10
    Originality 2/10
    Longevity 8/10
    Sillage 7/10

Suma sumarum - quite ok

Pros: Longevity, sillage, quality
    Cons: originality

12 June, 2013

Bulgari Aqua pour Homme Toniq by Bulgari

Lovely, just like the original

Nothing in particular to say about it that wasn't already been said about the original, so I'll keep it short. It's exactly the same as the original Bvlgari Aqua. Fresh, sharp, dignifying, formal and casual at the same time with good longevity and projection. Flaw, as stated already is that there's hardly any difference between this flanker and the original, thus it's also sort of disappointing. All in all it is a satisfying, summer fragrance in Bvlgari style, so you can't go much wrong with it.

Pros: Quality, scent, longevity, sillage
    Cons: no originality, pure copy

29 May, 2013

Bulgari Aqua pour Homme Marine Toniq by Bulgari

Better than the first Aqua Marine

No problems with longevity, not that I'm saying there was with the first version. All in all this one is a bit more refined and less synthetic, but despite that unimpressive and not quite memorable fragrance. Flanker of a flanker, what could one expect anyway.

Pros: Less synthetic, lasts long
    Cons: Not inventive

29 May, 2013

Soul by Oriflame

Good copy of Hugo by Hugo Boss (1995.)

Not all that bad. Reminds a lot of good old Hugo by Hugo Boss, equally synthetic, however appealing non the less. Longevity is ok and the scent is quite cheap so it's a good bargain. Daily, sporty, summer scent with a touch of character, pardon me, soul. Smelled better, have and had better, but non the less, this one doesn't deserve bashing.

Pros: Sporty
    Cons: originality, synthetic

23 May, 2013

L.12.12 Noir / Black by Lacoste

Modern with a twist of retro

Not bad at all. It has retained the bits of prior versions and yet there is this distinctive smell that reminds me of Denim Black aftershave. There's the catch, very retro scent but also somehow contemporary. Lacoste did a nice job with this one. Could have been better, mayhaps a bit stronger, but really a job well done.

Pros: stylish, distinctive
    Cons: sillage

22 May, 2013

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Way popular, sweet, can be cloying when over-sprayed and women/girls tend to do that quite more than often. Now if it could be sprayed just a tad bit, I'd find it sexy. Floral in essence, sillage is great, can be felt meters and meters around, easily noticeable just like Dior Hypnotic Poison.

13 May, 2013

Joop! Homme Wild by Joop!

Not that bad, really. I don't want to be overly critical but I just can't see the higher game in this one when compared to the original. There is this liqueur-ish note, vanilla with tobacco coming about as the overall winner of notes. When compared to Joop! Homme, this is a spoiled teenage brat that doesn't have what it takes. Despite all that I find this to be a quite good, younger crowd pleasing scent that even myself like. What this scent did to me is that it made me appreciate the original even more.

12 May, 2013

James Bond 007 Ocean Royale by James Bond

Could've been Boss, Gucci, Versace, CK for a solid sum of dollars, but it's not. He is James Bond 007 cheappie and that's the only thing that's cheap - the price. Quite cool fragrance, I have to admit. Not really fresh, but sweet it is, woody and musky albeit the fact no musk note is listed. No watery notes in it, seaweed even less, however citruses mixed with spices with that distant note of coffee is quite a combo. Invested/gained ratio is in favor of gained, really. Very good frag for the price and it'll be resented only by those who suffer from obsession of wearing/not wearing a known brand.

12 May, 2013

Boarding by Azzaro

Such a shame indeed that this is a limited edition and it won't get much reviews, it won't get mentioned. I believe it can be bought only in duty free shops on air ports. Spicy, woody wonder this one is indeed. In style of Cerruti PH, Chopard PH and tad bit Armani Code Ultimate, but much stronger, more spicy and refined. It doesn't remind me per se of anything I've tried from Azzaro product range. I wouldn't say this frag is fresh in a typical way, don't get me wrong, it IS fresh, but not Bvlgari Aqua, Pour Homme/Extreme kind of fresh or Chrome, Chrome Legend etc. kind of fresh. It's the spiciness of it that's mesmerizing and woody notes just complement it and surround it with careful dosage so that the spiciness may not "explode" and burn your nostrils. Longevity and sillage are exquisite, so don't be trigger happy.

11th May, 2013

Eros by Versace

Dreadful, utter rubbish. Synthetic gourmand with no character or style.

26 April, 2013

Costume National Homme by Costume National

A fig like smell mixed with wood and spice, very refined! Also in this "story" there's cinnamon, and a very fine one. Cinnamon is almost my obsession. Elegant and yet casual, spicy and woody, overall refined. The moment I tried this I also became very nervous that this is not in my collection. I have to admit that there is something antique about this scent, not in a sense it smells old or anything like that - that is, not in a sense how some people perceive Kouros, Zino, Egoiste, Antaeus - but antique in some way as if you would enter an ancient Greek drugstore that is actually a part of some temple, where there are also some spices from Asia, better yet, Persia and Arabia and it's all mixing, permeating the air. So this scent, apart being obviously woody and spicy, really has a bit of oriental touch to it.

I was prepared to buy it but all of a sudden a good hearted person I know and who owns it, insisted I take it. Refusal was futile as resistance is futile with the Borg in Star Trek. What actually surprised me was the price. I was expecting it to be far more expensive, turns out it costs as much as most of the designers scents. One other thing, I did notice that this juice didn't get as much attention as, for instance, Terre d'Hermes. I'm not implying that they're the same at all, au contraire, but I do think that whereas Terre d'Hermes is the king in his domain, Costume National Homme is in his, the only difference being that it's seldom spoken of.

23 April, 2013

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

So simple but so good. Sure there were a lot of like it before and after 2006. so it kind of gets lost in the masses, but still even today I find this scent quite amusing and pleasant. Nothing spectacular, nothing original I'll agree with this, but it'll please the crowd and better yet it'll please a/the girl that's near you.

17 April, 2013

The Game by Davidoff

I like it. It's for the masses indeed, but still, I like it. Davidoff finally made something that's got nothing to do with Cool Water. "The Game" is cold in character but also kind of a dark scent so the color of the bottle is complementary with the scent itself. The gin note is strong and berry notes are even stronger, pervasive actually, thus the fragrance itself is quite pervasive on my skin making it project excessively. It didn't rock my world but I really find it appealing and yet I'd really be naive if I found something "deep" and meaningful in it. Despite being unoriginal, I'll rate it thumbs up on account it smells relatively good to me and on me, projects great and lasts and...it's not yet another Cool Water flanker which is nice for a change.

17 April, 2013

He Wood Ocean Wet Wood by Dsquared2

It's indeed a smell of wet wood, I'll give it credit to that. It smells nice. Apart from that it has no special characteristic or "feeling" that it creates so I've got nothing more to say about it really. I'll rate it neutral, although it mayhaps deserves more, currently I find it somehow uninspiring.

06 April, 2013

Burberry Summer for Men 2009 by Burberry

Well done scent of green, fresh apples and well rounded with musk. In a way, a bit it reminds of Creed Aventus, well in style at least. Blasphemy many will scream, I know, but that's my nose and it tells me so. Longevity is apt, sillage great, commendable even for a fresh fragrance.

05 April, 2013

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

I no longer remember it all that well in details, however I do remember it being sharp, zesty and bitter. Minty and with good quality vetiver, just a touch of musk, at least on my skin. A scent of the Russian aristocracy indeed. Not my cup of tea, however I really do appreciate this work as it is a great product of it's time and mayhaps an example for today.

05 April, 2013

Noble Vetiver by Chopard

Surprising indeed. Unbearable for the first minute, but after 5-10 minutes there it is! Sharp and very dignifying, noblesse oblige type of scent. Very formal and demanding, good quality. Scent itself is rather dry and bitter, also quite cold in character. All I can say that scent might fall well on a snob kind of person - so if you feel like a snob this one might work well for you. Noble Cedar has more humanity and warmth in it. Longevity and projection are up to the task. I personally don't like the scent, but am rating it positive on account of how it performs well, it's refined, distinctive and classy.

03 April, 2013

Noble Cedar by Chopard

Exquisitely great fragrance. Reminds me a bit of it's counterpart Chopard Vetiver in initial wave, but as soothes down it starts to develop it's own distinctive note. Unlike Chopard Noble Vetiver, Noble Cedar is a warmer scent both in notes and character. Also, there is less sharpness so it is much more smooth. Elegant and warm, refined are the main characteristics of the fragrance. It's for all seasons and formal attire, otherwise you might turn out a weirdo. Longevity and sillage are up to the task, so you needn't worry there. One other thing, which is more than obvious from the start - Noble Cedar and Noble Vetiver will be off the radar for most of population here. If these, exactly the same, fragrances were made by Creed we'd be listening about them on all bells, every day as much as we hear about GIT and Aventus.

03 April, 2013

Le Beau Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

This fragrance tells you two stories.

First story - I smell a bit like a better refined Boss in motion and some frags you've already smelled but you can't remember which ones exactly. You either accept this or not and you move on...or not...

Second story - my role, or goal to say precisely, is to smell like the top notes of the original Le Male and smell like this all the way without any change in particular. In this I almost succeed and will you buy me depends on your experience or lack thereof, and level of your naivety.

I actually like it and find it pleasing, but despite all that I have to rate it neutral.

27 March, 2013

Mexx Black Man by Mexx

I used to own this one in my early beginnings of this hobby. Mandarin orange and water notes are the most dominant. I'd dare say this fragrance is unique despite being cheap and quite synthetic, it doesn't actually smell cheap, what I mean is the price is low. Not everything good needs to be expensive or a well known brand. Summary is - simple, youthful, unique, noticeable and cheap.

26 March, 2013

Blue Seduction for Men by Antonio Banderas

Really not bad for the price. In range and style of Davidoff Silver Shadow Altitude and Echo, a bit of Azzaro Chrome Legend, distant echo of Bvlgari Aqua (class for itself). All in all not a bad fragrance. Longevity 8+ hours, projection solid. I give it a pass.

17 March, 2013

Gentlemen Only by Givenchy

Classic, elegant with recognizable Givenchy note. Vetiver and incense are quite well refined here and rounded up by musk. Now, if one expected a classic, loves classics, this one will for sure be regarded as a great scent. If one expected a modern approach with high end, classy vibe then sorry, you won't like it.

15 March, 2013

Hugo Red by Hugo Boss

Red is just a name and the bottle, the scent itself is as transparent as water, not just literally but in a sense of how it smells. Why am I rating it neutral then? Well the concept is not all that bad, it's the implementation and performance where it all gets downhills. Original Hugo by Hugo in all of it's syntheticity still has it charms and is generally accepted by the public, albeit not even close to be the legend. Hugo's flankers "just different" and "red" - forget about them.

15 March, 2013

L'Eau 2 Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

L'eau indeed, that is, light and airy. Despite being so airy it still manages to prove it's presence in the moments a person thinks it has dissipated. Orange is dominant and it gives off this certain bitterness which I find quite positive. Casual scent and nonchalant in nature. This one might find it's supporters easily but I doubt it'll be mentioned a lot. All in all, not a bad scent.

25 February, 2013

Trussardi Uomo (new) by Trussardi

I've never had the honor of smelling the old Trussardi, but I do have enough experience to say - this simply cannot be the heir or representative of any kind of the old beast. It opens up like Hugo Boss Boss Selection, then slightly starts to remind of Gucci Guilty whilst in the end it becomes somewhat more potent version of Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme -really...I mean, really, really. So you see, it's not all THAT BAD, BUUUUT - I mean really? Sweet, cold in character, shallow fragrance without any depth or a story to tell and completely unoriginal. Despite all that it is appealing. Why? Well, Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme had that interesting note to me, well at least in the initial spray, it got me but then as quickly the drydown came, it lost me. It lost me sooner than it got me. Trussardi Uomo 2011. seems to have a bit of a nag, however, playing Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme role a bit "better" or to say more correctly - stronger. I'm not expecting to get hooked any time soon, however a very slight window of opportunity does exist as in the beginning of this hobby I really liked Gucci by Gucci PH but it simply didn't last. Trussardi Uomo 2011. lasts, at least that.

14 February, 2013

Kenzo Homme Sport by Kenzo

Not bad. A clone of Allure Homme Sport + quite milder approach of Kenzo PH Boisee in a certain aspect, which is heavy frag in fact, thus Sport version might appeal more to the general public. All in all I expected it to be total failure, turns out its not, but due to utter lack of originality I have to rate it neutral. If you want something like Kenzo Homme Sport, but less airy and a little stronger - take Versace Pour Homme, Chanel Allure Homme Sport. On the other hand Kenzo Boisee is different than the two prior mentioned, more unique and different in character, yet there's an echo of it in Kenzo Homme Sport despite it's obvious similarity with VPH and CAHS. Albeit I actually fancy this scent quite so, I have to rate it neutral due to it's lack of originality and strength, not the longevity though - which is solid.

14 February, 2013

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

In style and smell reminds of Burberry Men, despite the apparent lack of originality, a very good scent. This fragrance is incredibly "friendly" which can't be said for many frags. The tea note and spices are strong, the tea note being stronger than in Burberry Men and also musk is quite more dominant in Lacoste PH. As the drydown slowly creeps in, one can easily get reminiscence of Bvlgari PH Soir albeit without that certain mediterranean character Bvlgari PH Soir contains. In any case, I'm pleasantly surprised by this scent, despite the fact it's not "original".

19 January, 2013

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

What I remeber about this fragrance is - whole lot of melon and then some. Fresh, spicy and a bit synthetic but overall not that hideous. People will like it, women will like it on me but I won't like it. I'll rate it neutral on account it is a good crowd pleaser.

19 January, 2013

La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent

Very nice approach. Cold in a sense of smell and yet not cold in character. I do agree that the similarity with La Nuit is obvious but there'll be individuals who'll like this approach to La Nuit better than the former approach.

12 January, 2013

He Wood Silver Wind Wood by Dsquared2

As if it's a heavy mixture of many known fragrances such as Azzaro Visit, Fahrenheit 32, Armani Code, Gucci PH I (2003) etc. Some people might actually like this on me, but in the end I don't like it at all. The original and Rocky Mountain version are far better fragrances.

04 January, 2013