Reviews by Zgb

Givenchy Gentleman (new) by Givenchy

How ironic indeed. This placid fragrance is pathetic but I actually like it...sort of.

Such a boring fragrance. Neither it's classic enough to be strong in scent and character, neither it's modern enough to be wanted by the crowd.

If one wants classic, stick to the classic Gentleman because even the reformulated version is class in itself when compared to this one. If you want a bit of more modern approach, Gentlemen Only and G.O.Absolute are really more than ok.

Who wears it? Boys wannabe men, same thing with YSL "Y"!

Irony is, I'd probably even buy this stuff for the office wear and casual room spraying here and there. Sort of usable, actually.

Scent 5/10
Originality 2/10
Longevity 5/10
Projection 4/10
40%
15th June, 2018

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Today, in terms of this time and especially YSL as a house, there's hardly anything good to say about this fragrance.

There's a bit stripped Body Kourous idea here, spiced up with something I can't identify. As if it could be named Body Kouros L'eau. There is also an echo of Givenchy Gentlmen Only in this fragrance.

It's a shame actually, for had it been released 10 years ago, it could have played a role of an answer to Gucci's Pour Homme II and be remembered today as one of the modern classics.

"Y" has good quality ingredients, but issued in the wrong time in a wrong way and is lacking in spirit and character.

57,5%
27th May, 2018

Hugo Urban Journey by Hugo Boss

Flanker number...how many were there up to this point?

Nothing new, generic and yet not that bad.

I'd stick to the original because, what ever one might think of the original, it is a modern classic and a product of its time.
27th May, 2018

Sauvage Eau de Parfum by Christian Dior

Not more "spectacular" than the EDT, however it is more rounded, softer and more refined.

A mass pleaser that works pretty well. Bubble gum note in this version is less acrid than in EDT version and thus much less annoying.

Considering the idea, formulae, format and components it can't get better than this, whatever you might think or not think about this fragrance.

Conclusion: better!

28th April, 2018

Man's Best by Bruno Banani

Cheap, but only in price. Doesn't smell cheap.

Sure it's a bit synthetic and not quite original. Oriental spicy fragrance for causual evening wear. Pepper, cinnamon, tonka, vanilla in a good, non sleazy way.

This fragrance even has some depth and "weight", however it is not too heavy so it can be easily worn in summer evenings. Even those with more picky noses and deeper pockets might appreciate this one.

___________________
67,5%
25th April, 2018

Prada L'Homme Intense by Prada

I have to admit that I like this version much more than the original. Less powdery, bigger accent on the soapiness which gives the scent an aromatic character en par with CW and GIT but not actually copying them. Not a master piece, but a very good fragrance considering a lot of designer offerings for the last 5 years.

More formal, more masculine and more self in style and character. Simply better.

Originality 6/10
75%
18th April, 2018

Luna Rossa Black by Prada

More than obvious connection and similarity to previous flankers. Sweet, tad bit powdery and woody. An echo of Le Male idea with a pinch of 21. century.

Not exactly a train I'd hurry to jump in, but also not the one I'd immediately jump out from if accidentally found myself in it.

_______________
62,5%
18th April, 2018

L'Homme Lacoste by Lacoste

Typical already seen to-go scent. Lacoste takes an idea of Davidoff Adventure and Boss In Motion, mixes those two and voila - Lacoste L'Homme. For daily use, preferably office and/or casual. It's character is too mild for winter, evenings and clubbing but that's not the idea of this fragrance anyway. You won't stand out with it but that's ok. Pragmatic, simple and purposeful fragrance without much depth or philosophy taken into account. Not bad or tragic, but far from instigating any emotion.

21st January, 2018

Pure XS by Paco Rabanne

Modern fragrance for mature men that I really don't appreciate, at least not how it smells on me.

I think it's more or less quite unique. It doesn't directly copy Bleu de Chanel and Dior Sauvage + YSL L'Homme. I think that PR tried to create it's own concept based on those fragrances. In that they succeeded, however when it comes to appeal, I think they failed miserably.

Originality 6/10 - pretty high for today's age
Scent 4/10 - I just can't click with it whatsoever
Longevity 7/10 - it lasts ok, could be better
Projection 6/10 - not tragic but concerning the theme and the type of scent, should project more.
21st January, 2018

A*Men Kryptomint by Thierry Mugler

First two hours it's Ultra Zest with a strong mint note. Then it's just Ultra Zest for the next few hours and that's that.

Very disappointed with this one. After Pure Tonka which was awesome in my opinion, they pull off Kryptomint, which would be ok if Ultra Zest wasn't already in the game.

This will be the first A*Men flanker I won't make part of my collection.
10th December, 2017 (last edited: 02nd February, 2018)

Dunhill Icon Elite by Dunhill

An interesting hybrid in vein of CK Man and Emporio Armani He. Fresh, potent, sharp and "specific", however far from unique.

Synthetic, but not a mess. It is a well done fragrance, considering how it is. Memorable? Not really. Good? Yes.

(test wear - 31.10.2017.)

Scent 5/10

01st November, 2017

Avant Garde by Lanvin

Avangard like? Not really, but very good surely. It is a hybrid of YSL La Nuit de l'Homme and a bit more than a pinch of JPG Le Male.

In case that you own La Nuit or Le Male, Lanvin A.G. will be redundant I'm afraid.

A rather pleasant scent that won't make you stand out in your environment, however that isn't the point. More often than not, most of people just want to fit and blend in and that's where Avant Garde wins. Also, most of the people like to smell good without being burdened by great heaviness or complexity. Avant Garde does a good job at that as well.

Pleasant, simple, already seen. No matter the fact, one wants to see, or smell it to express myself correctly, again despite its more than obvious familiarity.

29th October, 2017

Vespri Esperidati by Nobile 1942

Now, I could be mean and say this is much like Davidoff Cool Water or Creed G.I.T. and not be wrong. However, regardless of, this is not a bad work whatsoever. It shares the style of aforementioned, but with a slight citrus twist which gives it a bit more different character. How much more you ask? Well, the matter is quite subjective. I personally wouldn't bother with it, considering the fact it is discontinued anyway. It is tad bit sweeter and more lemony than CW and GIT. Is it actually any good? Well, if you do like sharp fragrances, namely Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed, then yes. I personally like Vespri Esperidati, but am not disappointed by discontinuation of it.

(tried 21.06.2014. for the first time, first review written then on another site.)

18th October, 2017

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Quite soapy and calodont-ish, sort of. An interesting, zealous, sharp fellow indeed.

It most certainly shares the vibe or style with V&R Spicebomb and Burberry London, however Eau des Baux is specific and has a quite different character.

This scent is a bit rough around the edges, but not in a negative way. It pampers no one, however also doesn't judge.

For a bit more mature lot with a firm stance and outlook towards the world and life.

Originality 7/10
67,5%
16th October, 2017

Tabac Man Fire Power by Mäurer & Wirtz

Cheap but great! Gucci Envy for men clone and an absolutely good one. Not great, though, but for that price? Very Good.

Initially, for a minute or two it smells like poor mans Burberry London, but that dissipates rather quickly. Dry down ensues and you get a clone of Gucci Envy for men. Not as potent, not as strong, but good enough in my opinion. Doesn't smell cheap or unsophisticated.

Originallity 8/10 high, because Gucci Envy For Men is no longer in production
Scent 8/10 I think there's no need to explain
Longevity 7/10 Lasts for a pretty while
Projection 6/10 Not great, but not tragic at all.
________________________________________
72,5 %
11th October, 2017 (last edited: 18th October, 2017)

Invictus Aqua by Paco Rabanne

More wearable and more decent than any from that line, namely the original and intense version.

The original Invictus reminded me a lot of Carolina Herrera Chic for men, only more aggressive, louder, sharper. Invictus Aqua gives of a hint of it too, but softer, more decent.

This one is very hyped among the youtube review community. Although I can see why, there are a lot of frags out there in the market that can make the same effect that Invictus Aqua does. So basically it is a generic mainstream fragrance, albeit done rather and really well.

For what it is, it is going to work and serve its purpose more than well. Easily wearable and accepted, unburdening yet firm and present.

24th September, 2017

M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent

M7 Oud Absolu is more formal and less pungent version of the old M7. The original M7 is all about showing strength and willpower, determination, moving around the town in the evening. M7 Oud Absolu on the other hand is a bit more toned down, calmer, for closed quarters. However it doesn't mean that it's weaker. The medicinal note here is less pronounced.

All in all, this version is a bit more calm, pleasant and chic without being less potent. I lasts and projects rather well.

If I had to choose, of course the original is original and that's that. However I'm very happy and pleased with this version. It's not that significantly far from the original in character and spirit. There are a few differences from up close. From the distance however, even avid fans will simply recognise it as M7 and not this or that version.

Conclusion: may he stay here even in this bottle. Spirit, character and signature are here. Longevity and projection are adequate. That's good enough for me.

Originality 7/10 high because old M7 is gone
80%
16th September, 2017

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

Decent, borderline masculine, Cartier quality scent.

The rose note is quite dominant, but the scent isn't that off putting as one would expect. Fragrance is strong and long lasting but mild in character at the same time.

When speaking of decency, this fragrance emits some form of gentlemen like, cavalier energy. Funny indeed, when was the last time I heard or used the term "cavalier"? Beats me, but I'll sure remember this scent.

I'd wear it in the spring, maybe even summer. Autumn definitely, but not winter. I wouldn't go clubbing with this one, albeit there are few Youtube reviewers who swear this works in the club. Now, a regular non-clubbing night out, sure. Dating, night or day, why not. Office, sure with mild application.

Personally, I'm not crazy about this one. I don't think it suits me. Regardless, it does invite me to give it a chance with a full bottle. Not now, not yet, but most likely in some time.

No matter what one may think about Declaration d'Un Soir, it is a very inviting fragrance, always somehow mildly, sincerely smiling and welcoming to the wearer and the environment.

____________________
14th September, 2017

Encre Noire à l'Extrême by Lalique

Less damp and cold than the original. While the original Encre Noire is much colder and sharper in character, A L'Extreme is warmer, smoother, more inviting but still a bit dark.

I'd rather not be in a position of having to choose between the two because both are exceptionally well done fragrances.

Sure similarities are there. Ink note here is a bit lower, wood notes are a bit stronger. Still, however, this is what you want if you like this type of fragrances and the original. Not better, not worse, just a bit different but yet different enough.

12th September, 2017

Individuel by Montblanc

I've heard a lot about this scent. A very, very good work. Not phenomenal, but very good.

A more humane version of Joop!Homme, at least for those who don't like Joop!.

Montblanc Indiviuel is a very nice, unburdening, bright spirited oriental for all circumstances and occasions. Sweet and potent, but not heavy and dense. Far more decent than Joop! Homme that still remains a beast that devours everything in its site, including the wearer.

Conclusion: considering what you get for this price, this is a must have fall and winter signature scent. Return of invest is this fragrance's top advantage when getting potential customers, and for a good reason. Smells very good and costs very cheap.

12th September, 2017

Touch for Men by Burberry

Peppery, sweet, soapy, formal, classic and soft.

There's a bit of a connection with Le Male here, but Touch for men is a bit more tea like herbal - green and soapy.

A good fragrance for formal occasions, office, daily meetings. It is not a weak fragrance, yet not loud at all. It has a calming effect on the wearer and the environment.

Decent, pleasant scent for people of milder characters (doesn't mean weak people), relaxing types but also bright joyful at the same time.

___________________
11th September, 2017

Dior Homme Eau for Men by Christian Dior

How to describe Dior Homme Eau? Milder version of Dior Homme with substantially lower dose of iris, absolutely.
DHE is very specific, elegant and likable scent. There is certain mild, pleasant sweetness that this scent emits.

To be a bit critical now, to me it's quite a feminine fragrance. DH is much more masculine, regardless of iris note being much stronger in it. DHE, when dries a bit, smells tad bit like a sugar melted in leftovers of a nice fruit tea.

Definitely a must try if you like Dior as a house in general and a must have if you love this DH line.

Comparison: I find DHE to be much more airy, less synthetic and refined version of Hugo Boss Boss Selection.

Conclusion: I didn't expect DHE to smell the way it does, however I'm not disappointed. This is a very specific and elegant scent.

Regardless of this nice review, I have to rate it neutral. I just can't see it on me. Sure I can spray myself with it, but I won't be taken seriously wearing it. I can't wear anything pink coloured, for instance, it just doesn't look good on me, doesn't suit me. Same with DHE.

Originality: 6/10
Scent: 7/10
Longevity: 7/10
Projection: 6/10
65 %
11th September, 2017

Prada L'Homme by Prada

Good work, but I don't really like it. In style it resembles a lot with Valentino Uomo Intense, Dior Homme, Rochas Man, Givenchy Play Intense etc. but doesn't really copy them. It has a distinct smell. There's an echo of Prada Man (Amber) in here too.

I didn't click well with this. Regardless it does get my respect. It doesn't call me, didn't trigger emotions in me. I understand it has its crowd of followers and that's ok. I think it deserves to be followed but just not by me.

Neutral rating due to understanding the concept, however not resonating with it whatsoever.

03rd August, 2017

L'Homme Ideal Sport by Guerlain

I like this line, but Sport flanker is absolutely redundant here when compared with Cologne flanker. Somebody will most certainly love Sport version. I'll just sort of appreciate the idea and that's about it.

55%
03rd August, 2017

Uomo Acqua by Valentino

Complete fail. It is a good summer fragrance, but not for men. This is very, very feminine frag!

Scent is distinct and unique in men's line, albeit not uncommon among women. If I smelled it on a woman, I'd definitely compliment her.

I am on a verge of giving it a neutral rating, however this is so wrong on so many levels when I smell it on me that I simply have to rate it negatively.
28th July, 2017 (last edited: 24th August, 2017)

Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy

Excellent work! Sure it's clone of V&R Spicebomb and PR 1 Million / Privee flanker, but it's a darn good fragrance.

This is definitely how I want to smell this autumn and winter.

Spicy, sweet, a bit dark and with a Givenchy elegance. One of rare fragrances that instigates emotions of life and life path/course in me. The only fragrance that managed this was and still is Gucci Envy For Men. Now there are two.

I don't mind if this is a clone. I'm not and I like what I like. The course is set, path is clear.

________________
28th July, 2017

Azzaro pour Homme Intense (new) by Azzaro

What a beautiful "evil" of the scent. When I say this, I think positively of course.

Sharp and bitter, warm in a strange but also cold way. Its lips never smile, but the eyes do.

Fougere par excellence. There's a touch of the original here but Intense is much darker, bit less wearable, or to be precise, less versatile. For the colder months and the evening.

Cinnamon in a way I haven't encountered yet, all that covered with brandy. Vetiver is strong, amber is not silent and tonka whispers loudly. All the notes are quite well intertwined in conversation how there's still hope for the better times, regardless of all that mainstream, teenage frags we're bombarded with lately.

The Azzaro PH Intense will not, however, push the original from its throne. They are complementary. The original is a whole year rounder, all occasions fragrance, while the Intense version is, in my opinion, strictly for fall and winter, evenings and go outs.

A gentleman and a scoundrel at the same time. Teenagers and weak blooded/minded will avoid this one. Too much character, integrity, honour and strength about this one.

Originality 7/10
Projection 9/10
34/40=85%
09th June, 2017 (last edited: 31st August, 2017)

Le Mâle Eau Fraiche by Jean Paul Gaultier

I tried the Superman flanker today which is not in the directory but is the same fragrance as Popeye flanker. Same notes, same composition.

Quite redundant if you own the original, however a rather nice variation of the theme.

For a younger crowd that enjoys life and enjoys enjoying it.
Carefully with the application as you might appear as senseless, tasteless clown looking for attention. Thing is a bit fresher but highly potent, at least on my skin.

Originality 2/10
_________________
62,5% - rather high rating in terms of numbers, but however my overall impression is "neutral" because to me the original is the king.
04th June, 2017

Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

To me this is better than Sauvage. Yeah, easily compared the two. Luna Rossa Carbon is simply less offensive, less sharp and has no bubble gum effect that Sauvage does.

Bleu has set the trend, Sauvage lifted the scale up and Luna Rossa Carbon is but a follower, however more than decent one in my opinion. I'd pick L.R.C. over Sauvage any time. It just seems more rounded and well balanced unlike Sauvage.

26/40=65%
30th May, 2017

La Nuit de L'Homme Eau Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent

2 in 1. Eau Electique is a mix of the original and La Nuit formula, closer to the 2009. La Nuit flanker prior to supposed reformulations.

It pretty much covers all the angles. Day, night, casual, office, clubbing, dating. Spring, summer, fall but not winter. Why not winter? Not because it's not strong enough, but its character and style are not winter like.

Conclusion: antoher flanker with zero originality, but it passes easily if you're a fan of the original and La Nuit flanker. Redundant if you own either or both, however if you ran out of them and want that good, same old effect, Eau Electriqe flanker is your player.

Originality: 4/10