Reviews by Zgb

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Kenzo Homme Sport by Kenzo

Not bad. A clone of Allure Homme Sport + quite milder approach of Kenzo PH Boisee in a certain aspect, which is heavy frag in fact, thus Sport version might appeal more to the general public. All in all I expected it to be total failure, turns out its not, but due to utter lack of originality I have to rate it neutral. If you want something like Kenzo Homme Sport, but less airy and a little stronger - take Versace Pour Homme, Chanel Allure Homme Sport. On the other hand Kenzo Boisee is different than the two prior mentioned, more unique and different in character, yet there's an echo of it in Kenzo Homme Sport despite it's obvious similarity with VPH and CAHS. Albeit I actually fancy this scent quite so, I have to rate it neutral due to it's lack of originality and strength, not the longevity though - which is solid.

14 February, 2013

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

In style and smell reminds of Burberry Men, despite the apparent lack of originality, a very good scent. This fragrance is incredibly "friendly" which can't be said for many frags. The tea note and spices are strong, the tea note being stronger than in Burberry Men and also musk is quite more dominant in Lacoste PH. As the drydown slowly creeps in, one can easily get reminiscence of Bvlgari PH Soir albeit without that certain mediterranean character Bvlgari PH Soir contains. In any case, I'm pleasantly surprised by this scent, despite the fact it's not "original".

19 January, 2013

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

What I remeber about this fragrance is - whole lot of melon and then some. Fresh, spicy and a bit synthetic but overall not that hideous. People will like it, women will like it on me but I won't like it. I'll rate it neutral on account it is a good crowd pleaser.

19 January, 2013

La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent

Very nice approach. Cold in a sense of smell and yet not cold in character. I do agree that the similarity with La Nuit is obvious but there'll be individuals who'll like this approach to La Nuit better than the former approach.

12 January, 2013

He Wood Silver Wind Wood by Dsquared2

As if it's a heavy mixture of many known fragrances such as Azzaro Visit, Fahrenheit 32, Armani Code, Gucci PH I (2003) etc. Some people might actually like this on me, but in the end I don't like it at all. The original and Rocky Mountain version are far better fragrances.

04 January, 2013

Silver Cologne by Amouage

I'm not quite sure how much this one could fall in "sport" line of fragrances. Sure it's called "Silver" but on the fragrantica and official Amouage site it's clearly stated that this is a sports man frag. If that's a sports man frag then so is Michael Kors Michael or Givenchy Xeryus Rouge. Ok, Silver - the only reason why I like Silver is the plum note. I just love a good plum note performance and Silver does it great. With all that it's also spicy and juicy but also dry. I find it stylish in a certain way, a bit formal maybe and not all that quite casual as it's marketing represents it. I see it's quite bashed here which doesn't baffle me much, however I think there's too much exaggeration about it being a bad frag. Subjectively biased I vote a thumb up.

23 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2013)

A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

Some will praise it, some will bash it, I'll do neither but I do like it quite much. Sure there's no coffee here, no chocolate and no creaminess. It's quite zesty, cold and sort of fresh. Reminds me a lot of Guerlain L'eau and Boisee but A*Men Pure Shot is less refined and much sharper, sort of like a loud bully when compared to the former mentioned. I myself thought about bashing it myself but after one hour I found it to be pleasant, likeable and soothing. I wouldn't rush to buy it, but if it could be obtained cheaply then I'd buy it without thinking twice.

17 December, 2012

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Fresh mountain water and flowers with a hint of the precious metal. Could pass as unisex as it's not the most masculine scent I've tried. There is a certain tea note, not most prominent but enough to be quite felt. Well balanced and refined scent, notes are not screaming but work well together. I wouldn't rush to buy it but I wouldn't pass it if it got into my possession. It's a quite nice scent, however nothing grand or memorable about it.

16 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 April, 2013)

Puma I am Going Man by Puma

Slightly woody but also incredibly spicy at the same time. Youthful and sportishly, positively energetic. Not easy come by lately, unfortunately.

16 December, 2012

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Quite similar to Tempore Uomo by Laura Biagiotti. Kenzo Power is not the most masculine scent as it is quite floral in my opinion, however it does contain certain style and character, thus a wearer must have style as well. Apart from that, this scent is quite summery to me, not formal at all and yet, as prior mentioned, stylish. There is a certain heaviness and also sharpness in this scent which makes it lively and brisk but yet not fresh. Projects magnificently and lasts more than 10 hours on me. I find nothing simple in this fragrance. Due to it's complexity, heaviness and need for a strong character, albeit no uniqueness, this fragrance is bound to confuse people and most of them won't know how to deal with it or what to make of it. It won't be a common subject, not much mentioned and it'll mostly remain off the radar.

13 December, 2012

James Bond 007 by James Bond

A complete rip off of YSL La Nuit De L'Homme, well for ten minutes at least. Late on it becomes a copy of Hugo Boss Selection. Well, rip off of both and not tragically bad rip off with solid longevity and projection. The positive side of this fragrance is that it is quite cheap and for a low amount of money you get a relatively good rip off of some well known frags. If I was younger and a beginner at this hobby, I'd have probably given it a shot.

27 November, 2012

Apparition Wild Orange by Ungaro

Strong, sweet orange scent. Very spicy and with a touch of vanilla in the dry down . Not bad at all. I like the feel of orange in scents in general and this one is quite, how to say, well juicy is the proper word.

25 November, 2012

L.12.12 Bleu / Blue by Lacoste

I like it. Not original at all. Cerruti Pour Homme, Joop! Jump also two similar gents and now Lacoste Bleu tadaaam. Spicy, woody frag almost exactly the same as the former mentioned, but hey, I like those and I also like tihs one. I'm biased so I'm giving it thumbs up.

23 November, 2012

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

I'll agree with some people that this scent is a bit synthetic and is not quite refined. However, despite that I find it pleasant. There is thin line between liking this scent and finding it nauseating. The line is thinner with AHS au extreme which I also like. And then it hits me, like all the rest - Versace Pour Homme. Now, Versace Pour Homme in my humble opinion does much better job than AHS and AHSauE. Why? In Versace PH they've cut the sweetness and left all the thickness but much more fresh. Yes, AHS is older indeed but Versace PH is better - yeah, throw rocks at me, I'm a great heathen. In the case of AHSauE the connection with Versace PH is even bigger but the sweetness in AHSauE is a bit more refined but also a bit stronger than the original AHS. I'm rating AHS thumb up on account it came out before Versace PH and was a good example for Versace PH which is thus more polished. I couldn't make this review without mentioning Versace PH and Allure Homme Sport au Extreme.

22 November, 2012

Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani

Unlike the original AdG, this one is thick, dense, not actually fresh and the story it tells is much more meaningful to me than the story that the original tells. Acqua di Gio Essenza is a story of a complete, mature guy whilst the original is just some "cute guy" seen on the street by girls. Original is fresh and airy, widely accepted and overworn. This will not be the case with AdGE and I'm also quite sure that, despite the fact that is much better and more refined, it'll not be overhyped and maybe, just maybe, it might get discontinued and forgotten, which is a shame. I'd compare the case of Dior Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit Absolute and JPG Le Male and Le Male Terrible. Now, Fahrenheit Absolute is not better than Fahrenheit, it's just different and tells a story of its own and a good story. Despite the fact Fahrenheit Absolute was not as much accepted or reviewed as much, same goes for JPG LMT, despite its good qualities and depth and that's what I'm expecting to happen to AdGE.

21st November, 2012

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I never noticed up until this moment that I've never written a review for this classic. Overused by the masses on each continent and yet able to remain special and charismatic. Sure, here in Zagreb you'll feel it a lot, Acqua and Le Male too, which is interesting. Why, you'll ask? Well, Acqua di Gio is constantly pushed, incredible as it may seem but almost every tram station in Zagreb had a big poster of it recently. There are 4 commonly pushed fragrances in all perfumeries in Croatia, and these have the biggest shells and are best stocked - Hugo by Hugo Boss (1995), Acqua di Gio for men, JPG Le Male and Davidoff Cool Water. Of all mentioned AdG and Le Male are the most buyed/felt around. The rest are just there in large amounts and nobody uses them, apparently, especially Cool Water.

Now, AdG itself is one of the first frags of that kind. Later on many tried to be like it and the only one that managed to, well sort of be like it, is Bvlgari Aqua for men. AdG is more fruity and daily type of frag whilst Bvlgari Aqua is much more spicy, deeper, bit darker. I just had the need to compare the two as in my opinion they fall into the same style category. AdG is even today a classic head turner (in my case it's Davidoff Cool Water - women just love it on me and they love it on me the most of all frags) despite the fact being overworn, however it never got me. And here's that Bvlgari Aqua story. Bvlgari Aqua got me first, that is, before AdG. After a year or so when I tried AdG it was just some nice juice and that's it. AdG EDP aka ACQUA DI GIÒ ESSENZA on the other hand, now that's another story.

21st November, 2012

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Experienced and inexperienced both agree that this is just an expensive Cool Water. Alas, I myself agree with them, however, Creed GIT is more refined and more natural and here I must give it credit. The only credit I can give to it. No matter, I like it. I won't rate it neutral or negatively on account it is expensive and completely reminds of Cool Water. This scent was made before Cool Water, and it is Cool Water that is a rip off, albeit a good one, not the other way around.

17 November, 2012

The One Sport by Dolce & Gabbana

It's a copy of Bvlgari Aqua Marine with absolutely no sillage and exquisitely poor longevity. Very bland fragrance that can be "beaten" easily by a simple aftershave.

28 October, 2012

Armani Code Ultimate by Giorgio Armani

I wonder why is this a flanker, it's different enough and with a character of its own. I really like it as I was expecting it to be, well, lame. It turns out that after quite a while we finally get, here and there, a fragrance that is capable of telling a story, sort to speak. Armani Code Ultimate is nothing revolutional. There's a bit Azzaro Boarding in it in a sense of smell and a bit of Azzaro PH Night in a sense of style, BUT Code Ultimate is a copy of neither. It's a bit dark, thick, liquer-ish and charming. One of its main flaws is that it might be misused and overused by teenage population. I just might add it to my collection one day despite the mentioned flaw.

28 October, 2012

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

A bit of M7 inside, a bit Gucci Envy too but altogether it's not a copy of either. Stylish for sure, masculine too but to me it just lacked longevity and projection. This type of frag, or to express myself better, frag of this style, should be much more potent. Albeit the style I like, let's put aside the strength it lacked on me, something else bothered me that I decided to pass it on from my collection. It seemed almost as an excess in my collection that was not as large as it is today.

23 October, 2012

Gucci Flora by Gucci

My sister was/is crazy about this one so I bought it for her wedding in 2010. Needless to say, I'm not crazy about this one but also I can't bash it too much, however it's not a very inspiring fragrance, not to mention it's price which is quite undeserving for what it offers.

22 October, 2012

Gucci Guilty pour Homme by Gucci

Guilty! Guilty for making such a lousy fragrance indeed. After all those kings. After Envy for men, Gucci PH I and even not that much old PH II, you discontinue them and replace them with this utter bollocks? Gucci PH by Gucci is almost, almost - I don't know - something, if it was stronger I just might "jump" on it, but this? Sure there's an appealing note but please, Gucci, you've ruined your name with this. Relaunch the old kings!

22 October, 2012

Burberry Brit : Limited Edition for Men by Burberry

In essence, it's as same as the original, but this one is a bit more sharp and sort of bitter-ish. No powdery note here, well at least not as strong as in the original. I'm pretty sure folks would like this edition, however I see it is discontinued.

21st October, 2012

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Never truly tested it, only smelled the cap. Cold in character, bitter-sweet and quite synthetic, however also appealing. Under different circumstances I cannot ascertain wether my review would be positive or negative, so I'm rating it neutral.

18 October, 2012

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

This is terrible. I was hoping that something might be wrong with the tester but it turns out the tester was fine. Synthetic mess is the best description of this fragrance and there's nothing else to add about it.

18 October, 2012

Pi Neo Tropical Paradise by Givenchy

It's practically same as Pi Neo, only here are citruses just a bit more expressed. I liked Pi Neo, I like this flanker too but it was completely unnecessary.

10th October, 2012

Bang Bang by Marc Jacobs

Thicker than the original, less cold in character, not cold at all in fact. Reminiscence of the original is felt, however this version is much more developed and upgraded in almost every sense. Thumb up from me, maybe even a part of my collection someday.

06 October, 2012

Opus I by Amouage

Thick, strong, spicy...very spicy. It is also somewhat soapy and with a touch of woods. I can't pinpoint if it is more masculine or if a woman might pull this one off, but then again, it's all quite subjective. I have to say that I'm almost under a strong impression, but not to a point where I'd rush to own it or vehemently suggesting this to everyone. In fact, this scent is not for everyone. I will rate it thumb up only on account of positive impact it makes on me, subjectively of course.

03 October, 2012

Luna Rossa by Prada

I was on a verge of rating this one neutral, but I won't. It's good. It's not great, but it's good, I have to admit this. No this not something original at all. In the initial blast it reminds me a lot of Fahrenheit Aqua, later on it gives off this vibe of reminiscence of some scent I smelled and liked before but I just can't deduce which one. Sweet, decent and a bit characterly cold. I wouldn't rush to own this one, I must say, however there is something about it that makes me smell my wrist from time to time and each time I do so, I'm on a verge of reconsidering and actually adding it to my collection. Insatiable as I am, despite that fact, it is not going to happen any time soon that I'll add it to my collection. I'm somehow missing this certain something in it that I think it should have, or at least inspire or trigger in me. As if it's so close to trigger certain emotions but lacks something to actually do it - it tickles emotions but doesn't completely stimulate them. What I do know is that one day I might consider it more seriously. All in all it has my respect and I give it a good thumb up!

01st October, 2012

Encounter by Calvin Klein

Encounter? Ok. So, this is how I see "encounter". This is an encounter of two comprehensive school, soon to go to high school kids who are about to kiss for the first time. There's gonna be a lot of drooling and it's gonna be stupid but also exciting and fun...if you're a kid. If you're an adult - there'll be no such kind of encounters. So, dear CK, after "Obsession for men" and "CK One", maybe just maybe "Contradiction" and recent "Shock" too, you no longer have anything to give, but please do prove us all wrong. Please do so.

01st October, 2012