Reviews by Zgb

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

He Wood Ocean Wet Wood by Dsquared2

It's indeed a smell of wet wood, I'll give it credit to that. It smells nice. Apart from that it has no special characteristic or "feeling" that it creates so I've got nothing more to say about it really. I'll rate it neutral, although it mayhaps deserves more, currently I find it somehow uninspiring.

06th April, 2013

Burberry Summer for Men 2009 by Burberry

Well done scent of green, fresh apples and well rounded with musk. In a way, a bit it reminds of Creed Aventus, well in style at least. Blasphemy many will scream, I know, but that's my nose and it tells me so. Longevity is apt, sillage great, commendable even for a fresh fragrance.

05th April, 2013

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

I no longer remember it all that well in details, however I do remember it being sharp, zesty and bitter. Minty and with good quality vetiver, just a touch of musk, at least on my skin. A scent of the Russian aristocracy indeed. Not my cup of tea, however I really do appreciate this work as it is a great product of it's time and mayhaps an example for today.

05th April, 2013

Noble Vetiver by Chopard

Surprising indeed. Unbearable for the first minute, but after 5-10 minutes there it is! Sharp and very dignifying, noblesse oblige type of scent. Very formal and demanding, good quality. Scent itself is rather dry and bitter, also quite cold in character. All I can say that scent might fall well on a snob kind of person - so if you feel like a snob this one might work well for you. Noble Cedar has more humanity and warmth in it. Longevity and projection are up to the task. I personally don't like the scent, but am rating it positive on account of how it performs well, it's refined, distinctive and classy.

03rd April, 2013

Noble Cedar by Chopard

Exquisitely great fragrance. Reminds me a bit of it's counterpart Chopard Vetiver in initial wave, but as soothes down it starts to develop it's own distinctive note. Unlike Chopard Noble Vetiver, Noble Cedar is a warmer scent both in notes and character. Also, there is less sharpness so it is much more smooth. Elegant and warm, refined are the main characteristics of the fragrance. It's for all seasons and formal attire, otherwise you might turn out a weirdo. Longevity and sillage are up to the task, so you needn't worry there. One other thing, which is more than obvious from the start - Noble Cedar and Noble Vetiver will be off the radar for most of population here. If these, exactly the same, fragrances were made by Creed we'd be listening about them on all bells, every day as much as we hear about GIT and Aventus.

03rd April, 2013

Le Beau Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

This fragrance tells you two stories.

First story - I smell a bit like a better refined Boss in motion and some frags you've already smelled but you can't remember which ones exactly. You either accept this or not and you move on...or not...

Second story - my role, or goal to say precisely, is to smell like the top notes of the original Le Male and smell like this all the way without any change in particular. In this I almost succeed and will you buy me depends on your experience or lack thereof, and level of your naivety.

I actually like it and find it pleasing, but despite all that I have to rate it neutral.

27th March, 2013

Mexx Black Man by Mexx

I used to own this one in my early beginnings of this hobby. Mandarin orange and water notes are the most dominant. I'd dare say this fragrance is unique despite being cheap and quite synthetic, it doesn't actually smell cheap, what I mean is the price is low. Not everything good needs to be expensive or a well known brand. Summary is - simple, youthful, unique, noticeable and cheap.

26th March, 2013

Blue Seduction for Men by Antonio Banderas

Really not bad for the price. In range and style of Davidoff Silver Shadow Altitude and Echo, a bit of Azzaro Chrome Legend, distant echo of Bvlgari Aqua (class for itself). All in all not a bad fragrance. Longevity 8+ hours, projection solid. I give it a pass.

17th March, 2013

Gentlemen Only by Givenchy

Classic, elegant with recognizable Givenchy note. Vetiver and incense are quite well refined here and rounded up by musk. Now, if one expected a classic, loves classics, this one will for sure be regarded as a great scent. If one expected a modern approach with high end, classy vibe then sorry, you won't like it.

15th March, 2013

Hugo Red by Hugo Boss

Red is just a name and the bottle, the scent itself is as transparent as water, not just literally but in a sense of how it smells. Why am I rating it neutral then? Well the concept is not all that bad, it's the implementation and performance where it all gets downhills. Original Hugo by Hugo in all of it's syntheticity still has it charms and is generally accepted by the public, albeit not even close to be the legend. Hugo's flankers "just different" and "red" - forget about them.

15th March, 2013

L'Eau 2 Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

L'eau indeed, that is, light and airy. Despite being so airy it still manages to prove it's presence in the moments a person thinks it has dissipated. Orange is dominant and it gives off this certain bitterness which I find quite positive. Casual scent and nonchalant in nature. This one might find it's supporters easily but I doubt it'll be mentioned a lot. All in all, not a bad scent.

25th February, 2013

Trussardi Uomo (new) by Trussardi

I've never had the honor of smelling the old Trussardi, but I do have enough experience to say - this simply cannot be the heir or representative of any kind of the old beast. It opens up like Hugo Boss Boss Selection, then slightly starts to remind of Gucci Guilty whilst in the end it becomes somewhat more potent version of Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme -really...I mean, really, really. So you see, it's not all THAT BAD, BUUUUT - I mean really? Sweet, cold in character, shallow fragrance without any depth or a story to tell and completely unoriginal. Despite all that it is appealing. Why? Well, Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme had that interesting note to me, well at least in the initial spray, it got me but then as quickly the drydown came, it lost me. It lost me sooner than it got me. Trussardi Uomo 2011. seems to have a bit of a nag, however, playing Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme role a bit "better" or to say more correctly - stronger. I'm not expecting to get hooked any time soon, however a very slight window of opportunity does exist as in the beginning of this hobby I really liked Gucci by Gucci PH but it simply didn't last. Trussardi Uomo 2011. lasts, at least that.

14th February, 2013

Kenzo Homme Sport by Kenzo

Not bad. A clone of Allure Homme Sport + quite milder approach of Kenzo PH Boisee in a certain aspect, which is heavy frag in fact, thus Sport version might appeal more to the general public. All in all I expected it to be total failure, turns out its not, but due to utter lack of originality I have to rate it neutral. If you want something like Kenzo Homme Sport, but less airy and a little stronger - take Versace Pour Homme, Chanel Allure Homme Sport. On the other hand Kenzo Boisee is different than the two prior mentioned, more unique and different in character, yet there's an echo of it in Kenzo Homme Sport despite it's obvious similarity with VPH and CAHS. Albeit I actually fancy this scent quite so, I have to rate it neutral due to it's lack of originality and strength, not the longevity though - which is solid.

14th February, 2013

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

In style and smell reminds of Burberry Men, despite the apparent lack of originality, a very good scent. This fragrance is incredibly "friendly" which can't be said for many frags. The tea note and spices are strong, the tea note being stronger than in Burberry Men and also musk is quite more dominant in Lacoste PH. As the drydown slowly creeps in, one can easily get reminiscence of Bvlgari PH Soir albeit without that certain mediterranean character Bvlgari PH Soir contains. In any case, I'm pleasantly surprised by this scent, despite the fact it's not "original".

19th January, 2013

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

What I remeber about this fragrance is - whole lot of melon and then some. Fresh, spicy and a bit synthetic but overall not that hideous. People will like it, women will like it on me but I won't like it. I'll rate it neutral on account it is a good crowd pleaser.

19th January, 2013

La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent

Very nice approach. Cold in a sense of smell and yet not cold in character. I do agree that the similarity with La Nuit is obvious but there'll be individuals who'll like this approach to La Nuit better than the former approach.

12th January, 2013

He Wood Silver Wind Wood by Dsquared2

As if it's a heavy mixture of many known fragrances such as Azzaro Visit, Fahrenheit 32, Armani Code, Gucci PH I (2003) etc. Some people might actually like this on me, but in the end I don't like it at all. The original and Rocky Mountain version are far better fragrances.

04th January, 2013

Silver Cologne by Amouage

I'm not quite sure how much this one could fall in "sport" line of fragrances. Sure it's called "Silver" but on the fragrantica and official Amouage site it's clearly stated that this is a sports man frag. If that's a sports man frag then so is Michael Kors Michael or Givenchy Xeryus Rouge. Ok, Silver - the only reason why I like Silver is the plum note. I just love a good plum note performance and Silver does it great. With all that it's also spicy and juicy but also dry. I find it stylish in a certain way, a bit formal maybe and not all that quite casual as it's marketing represents it. I see it's quite bashed here which doesn't baffle me much, however I think there's too much exaggeration about it being a bad frag. Subjectively biased I vote a thumb up.

23rd December, 2012 (Last Edited: 19th January, 2013)

A*Men Pure Energy / A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

Some will praise it, some will bash it, I'll do neither but I do like it quite much. Sure there's no coffee here, no chocolate and no creaminess. It's quite zesty, cold and sort of fresh. Reminds me a lot of Guerlain L'eau and Boisee but A*Men Pure Shot is less refined and much sharper, sort of like a loud bully when compared to the former mentioned. I myself thought about bashing it myself but after one hour I found it to be pleasant, likeable and soothing. I wouldn't rush to buy it, but if it could be obtained cheaply then I'd buy it without thinking twice.

17th December, 2012

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Fresh mountain water and flowers with a hint of the precious metal. Could pass as unisex as it's not the most masculine scent I've tried. There is a certain tea note, not most prominent but enough to be quite felt. Well balanced and refined scent, notes are not screaming but work well together. I wouldn't rush to buy it but I wouldn't pass it if it got into my possession. It's a quite nice scent, however nothing grand or memorable about it.

16th December, 2012 (Last Edited: 03rd April, 2013)

Puma I am Going Man by Puma

Slightly woody but also incredibly spicy at the same time. Youthful and sportishly, positively energetic. Not easy come by lately, unfortunately.

16th December, 2012

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Quite similar to Tempore Uomo by Laura Biagiotti. Kenzo Power is not the most masculine scent as it is quite floral in my opinion, however it does contain certain style and character, thus a wearer must have style as well. Apart from that, this scent is quite summery to me, not formal at all and yet, as prior mentioned, stylish. There is a certain heaviness and also sharpness in this scent which makes it lively and brisk but yet not fresh. Projects magnificently and lasts more than 10 hours on me. I find nothing simple in this fragrance. Due to it's complexity, heaviness and need for a strong character, albeit no uniqueness, this fragrance is bound to confuse people and most of them won't know how to deal with it or what to make of it. It won't be a common subject, not much mentioned and it'll mostly remain off the radar.

13th December, 2012

James Bond 007 by James Bond

A complete rip off of YSL La Nuit De L'Homme, well for ten minutes at least. Late on it becomes a copy of Hugo Boss Selection. Well, rip off of both and not tragically bad rip off with solid longevity and projection. The positive side of this fragrance is that it is quite cheap and for a low amount of money you get a relatively good rip off of some well known frags. If I was younger and a beginner at this hobby, I'd have probably given it a shot.

27th November, 2012

Apparition Wild Orange by Ungaro

Strong, sweet orange scent. Very spicy and with a touch of vanilla in the dry down . Not bad at all. I like the feel of orange in scents in general and this one is quite, how to say, well juicy is the proper word.

25th November, 2012

L.12.12 Bleu / Blue by Lacoste

I like it. Not original at all. Cerruti Pour Homme, Joop! Jump also two similar gents and now Lacoste Bleu tadaaam. Spicy, woody frag almost exactly the same as the former mentioned, but hey, I like those and I also like tihs one. I'm biased so I'm giving it thumbs up.

23rd November, 2012

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

I'll agree with some people that this scent is a bit synthetic and is not quite refined. However, despite that I find it pleasant. There is thin line between liking this scent and finding it nauseating. The line is thinner with AHS au extreme which I also like. And then it hits me, like all the rest - Versace Pour Homme. Now, Versace Pour Homme in my humble opinion does much better job than AHS and AHSauE. Why? In Versace PH they've cut the sweetness and left all the thickness but much more fresh. Yes, AHS is older indeed but Versace PH is better - yeah, throw rocks at me, I'm a great heathen. In the case of AHSauE the connection with Versace PH is even bigger but the sweetness in AHSauE is a bit more refined but also a bit stronger than the original AHS. I'm rating AHS thumb up on account it came out before Versace PH and was a good example for Versace PH which is thus more polished. I couldn't make this review without mentioning Versace PH and Allure Homme Sport au Extreme.

22nd November, 2012

Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani

Unlike the original AdG, this one is thick, dense, not actually fresh and the story it tells is much more meaningful to me than the story that the original tells. Acqua di Gio Essenza is a story of a complete, mature guy whilst the original is just some "cute guy" seen on the street by girls. Original is fresh and airy, widely accepted and overworn. This will not be the case with AdGE and I'm also quite sure that, despite the fact that is much better and more refined, it'll not be overhyped and maybe, just maybe, it might get discontinued and forgotten, which is a shame. I'd compare the case of Dior Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit Absolute and JPG Le Male and Le Male Terrible. Now, Fahrenheit Absolute is not better than Fahrenheit, it's just different and tells a story of its own and a good story. Despite the fact Fahrenheit Absolute was not as much accepted or reviewed as much, same goes for JPG LMT, despite its good qualities and depth and that's what I'm expecting to happen to AdGE.

21st November, 2012

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I never noticed up until this moment that I've never written a review for this classic. Overused by the masses on each continent and yet able to remain special and charismatic. Sure, here in Zagreb you'll feel it a lot, Acqua and Le Male too, which is interesting. Why, you'll ask? Well, Acqua di Gio is constantly pushed, incredible as it may seem but almost every tram station in Zagreb had a big poster of it recently. There are 4 commonly pushed fragrances in all perfumeries in Croatia, and these have the biggest shells and are best stocked - Hugo by Hugo Boss (1995), Acqua di Gio for men, JPG Le Male and Davidoff Cool Water. Of all mentioned AdG and Le Male are the most buyed/felt around. The rest are just there in large amounts and nobody uses them, apparently, especially Cool Water.

Now, AdG itself is one of the first frags of that kind. Later on many tried to be like it and the only one that managed to, well sort of be like it, is Bvlgari Aqua for men. AdG is more fruity and daily type of frag whilst Bvlgari Aqua is much more spicy, deeper, bit darker. I just had the need to compare the two as in my opinion they fall into the same style category. AdG is even today a classic head turner (in my case it's Davidoff Cool Water - women just love it on me and they love it on me the most of all frags) despite the fact being overworn, however it never got me. And here's that Bvlgari Aqua story. Bvlgari Aqua got me first, that is, before AdG. After a year or so when I tried AdG it was just some nice juice and that's it. AdG EDP aka ACQUA DI GIÒ ESSENZA on the other hand, now that's another story.

21st November, 2012

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Experienced and inexperienced both agree that this is just an expensive Cool Water. Alas, I myself agree with them, however, Creed GIT is more refined and more natural and here I must give it credit. The only credit I can give to it. No matter, I like it. I won't rate it neutral or negatively on account it is expensive and completely reminds of Cool Water. This scent was made before Cool Water, and it is Cool Water that is a rip off, albeit a good one, not the other way around.

17th November, 2012

The One Sport by Dolce & Gabbana

It's a copy of Bvlgari Aqua Marine with absolutely no sillage and exquisitely poor longevity. Very bland fragrance that can be "beaten" easily by a simple aftershave.

28th October, 2012