Reviews by Zgb

Aqua pour Homme Atlantique by Bulgari

The old Bvlgari Aqva had and still has this certain something. It is complementary with its wearer in communication with the environment.

Atlantiqve version is like a bit toned down Aqva Marine flanker, maybe a bit warmer and less loud or sharp. Not good enough to be regarded as a worthy flanker.

Advice (to self and others): albeit the "old" Aqva is now 12 years old, it still has this special vibe and does the job more than well. Long story short - I'll stick to the original Aqva (2005.) and eventually also get Amara version.

Originality: 3/10
Scent: 5/10
Longevity: 8/10
Projection: 6/10
22/40 = 55%
17th April, 2017

Dior Homme Sport (2017) by Christian Dior

Follows the same spirit of 2008. and 2012. version. The 2017. release is maybe just a bit more sugary when compared to 2008. which was more citrusy and with more prominent ginger note, whilst 2012. had a bit more leathery note in the initial spray.

Generally speaking, regardless of everything, this is still DHS, as good as it was or can get. One can't claim that this is in fact some other scent or flanker when compared to previous versions.

Originality: 5/10
Scent: 8/10
Longevity: 9/10
Projection: 8/10
30/40 = 75%
17th April, 2017

Spicebomb Eau Fraîche by Viktor & Rolf

Slightly fresher version of the original that can actually be worn casually during winter time. Unlike the original, this one might be more of a whole year rounder, however I wouldn't wear it in too warm and humid conditions. Summer wear, sure but not during hot days. Evening when temperatures drop a bit, definitely.

Originality 6/10
09th April, 2017 (last edited: 14th April, 2017)

Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci

Bold, bolder the boldest. The closest thing to Fahrenheit before reformulation. Strong and tough. Headache inducing fragrance and NOT for kids...not even for me. Terre d'Hermes in initial blast + already mentioned engine oil in the review below, yes indeed and quite pungent.

A lot of people might hate this but you have to respect it and give it a credit. So, is this a modern, contemporary scent? No. As I already mentioned, to me it's close to Fahrenheit before reformulation and oh boy do I remember hating it back in the day when I tried it for the first time...and the second, third...so on. Then came the reformulated version and I love it.

This? This is a truly remarkable beast. Do I like it? NO.
Will I wear it? NO. Will I buy it? Probably not. Do I respect it? YES!

I'll rate this positive regardless of the fact that it gives me a slight headache. One just has to give credit to this effort.

Scent 10/10 raw, pungent, animalic
Originality 7/10
09th April, 2017 (last edited: 14th April, 2017)

Boss Bottled Tonic by Hugo Boss

Nothing special. More citrusy for a minute or two in the initial blast. Later on it's just a classic Boss Bottled but fairly more airy and slightly watery.

Considering that we all know quite a lot about the old Boss Bottled, being a classic, there's nothing much to say about Tonic version as it is.

EDT : whole year, all occasions with an accent on formal wear.

Intense: spring, autumn, winter, evening - formal.

Intense Parfum: never tried, but my "educated guess" would be autumn and winter, evening - formal.

Tonic: spring, summer, day - casual, office

The winner, subjectively of course, for me is EDT because you cover all the angles with it.

Tonic rating:

Longevity 6/10
Projection 5/10
_____________________
52,5%
13th March, 2017

Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue by Versace

Follows the style of already well established frags such as Bleu de Chanel and Dior Sauvage, no question. One of simple done well frags. I wouldn't say it is a copy of any, but a style follower definitely.

Dylan Blue reminds me quite a lot of Boss In Motion Black, which I consider to be the best from the In Motion line.

Initial spray of it, 2-3 minutes I thought to myself "oh no, it's gonna be one of those reviews", however some hours later it turns out to be quite the opposite.

Perhaps it's not original or maybe elegant as Bleu de Chanel. Maybe it's not assertive or intrusive as Dior Sauvage, but it does have this certain distinctiveness in it after all.

Dylan Blue is a bit more fruity without being too sweet. Less woody than Bleu and less sharp than Sauvage. I dare say it is a well balanced fragrance albeit slightly common and nothing new.

__________________________
70%
10th March, 2017

Uomo Intense by Valentino

DH/DHI clone, par excellence. Ok, so it's not original. Is it any good? O boy, yes it is. Thick, strong, pungent, "black".

Unlike Dior, no softness, only style and character. It can be a very good substitute for Dior, not because of price, but because of the similar story with different characters.

Good thing is, it's not syrupy sweet. It has some sharpness, dryness and some sort of powderiness that doesn't allow the sweetness go berserk and in the wrong direction.

Conclusion: if you already own any of Dior Homme line (Homme, Intense, Parfum), don't bother. If you had any of those and wish to try something similar or better yet own, go ahead, give Valentino Uomo/Valentino Uomo Intense a chance, it is well deserved.

Projection 9/10
_________________________
75%
09th January, 2017

No Limits Man by Bruno Banani

Tested this one 05. december 2016. but it wasn't in the directory back then.

Ok, so you don't get something extra special with this one, but for that price, you get gold. Typical woody-spicy, every day fragrance. Excellent for beginners, for those with a low budget, but even for those who already have experience simply for daily office usage.

No Limits Man reminded me a bit of Boss In Motion Black which I also find to be quite a good flanker of the Boss In Motion line. This type of simple-done well fragrances usually get you noticed, at least in my personal experience.

So, yeah it's a 25$ Bruno Banani, but it won't leave you cold hearted, or those around you. If nothing else, it's worth of at least trying.

Originality 05/10
Scent 06/10
Longevity 07/10
60%
02nd January, 2017

Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier

Cheeky. Quite cheeky and not all that bad. Good fragrance, but wrong marketing.

Cheeky is that they mixed a lot of old and new here. There's a pinch of Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit Absolute here, then there's a bit of Gucci PH I, and then a bit of modern spicy like YSL La Nuit de L'Homme etc. But where's Le Male? Nowhere. Name and bottle, that's it.

Had they done what they avoid for years, that is making the new line, whole idea would've been much more positive.
This type of scent belongs into a more classic bottle, darker yet warmer colour tones and not in the Le Male, blue coloured torso.

Original is original and that's that. This is a bit of synthetic, more or less sweet revitalisation of old and new poured into yet another torso among many torsos in the past 21 years of this brand.

Regardless of anything, that is my critique included, I really, really dig this stuff. Would I buy a bottle and spray myself a lot with it? No. Maybe a decant would be enough for me.

I'll rate it positively because it did hit some spot in me, stroke a chord for some reason.

Originality 6/10 - why high 6? Because it manages to resurrect some old frags to a certain degree, yet give it all some distinct, albeit synthetic and sweet character.

Scent 7/10 - I really dig it after all
28/40=70%
29th November, 2016

Brit Rhythm for Him Intense by Burberry

Sweet and uninspiring like its predecessor, however quite less irritating and atrocious. Sweet mainstream fragrance with no particular depth or character, but guess what, it works!

Previous version from 2013. was an utter chem lash on me. This one, surprisingly isn't. A great bonus is I got it utterly cheap.

Cold, disinterested, fruity, leathery and spices echoing in the distance. An effective representative of modern utilitarian approach to things.

57,5%
08th November, 2016 (last edited: 11th November, 2016)

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

EDT

What a gem. Return of investment is big indeed!
Benzoin, citruses, spices and wood very well blended.
Quite a specific, unique fragrance, not for a casual wear.
Not a macho, not a hipster. An artist definitely and that of a noble blood. Quite awesome actually.

In style it's on the trace of CK Obsession for men, but with its own character so they can't be confused at all. You might find the distant echo of Givenchy Pi here because of the strong benzoin thing going on.

I made a blind buy, but only because it was cheap. I strongly suggest people to try it before purchasing because this one is really, really not for everyone.

I myself recognise it as a very good, high quality juice, however also am not being sure if I'll be wearing it a lot. When it comes to it, I'm thinking I'll have to give it a little more time before being straight if it'll stay a part of my collection or not. For now I'm just glad I finally tried it and have it.

30/40 = 75%
05th October, 2016

L'Envol by Cartier

Like a corporate smug always checking his expensive watch while you're trying to have a conversation with him. Simply out of habit, nothing personal, a lot of work to do.

A colder, more distant and refined approach to Cerruti L'Essence de Cerruti Pour Homme. Strong leather and wood notes with honey like a little echo from the close distance. Rather utilitarian approach to things, which I generally appreciate in life, however obviously not when it comes to fragrances, or maybe just this fragrance in particular.

Cold in character and doesn't instigate emotions albeit the fact it has great quality and smells nice.

23/40=57,50%
30th September, 2016

1 Million Privé by Paco Rabanne

I like it. I really do. It doesn't suit me well but that doesn't matter.

It's a much more decent approach to the original. Less screechy, more mature, more dense on the skin but doesn't project wildly which is good.

It instigates emotions of reminiscence and sadness but not in a negative, depressing way.

Strong spices, cinnamon and tobacco combination makes it smell great. Unfortunately, as I've mentioned before, doesn't suit me. I'd wear it and enjoy it in privacy.

26/40=65%
30th September, 2016

Hugo Extreme by Hugo Boss

Completely redundant due to being practically the same as the old EDT. Although not a cult classic as Boss Bottled, it's still a classic. The upper notes are toned down slightly and that's about it. The longevity is as impressive as with the original version, at least on me.

67,50%
13th September, 2016

Armani Code Profumo by Giorgio Armani

Not bad. A bit thicker, denser variant of the EDT. Original is the original and that's that. But, it's no longer that popular, the EDT I mean. One can no longer smell it in the crowd anymore. For instance, AdG prevailed, people wear it and quite a lot. Although old Code EDT is a legend, it sort of fell silent and off the radar for the past few years, even here on Basenotes where it was quite popular back in the day.

Then came Code Ultimate, a good work if you ask me. Ok, in the sea of many good or not that good designer frags, of which many share the same vibe, Code Ultimate sort of just blended in and went a bit unnoticed. Now comes the Code Profumo and it seems to me that it'll share the fate of its older brother Code Ultimate, which I find a bit better than Profumo.

Code Profumo reminds me a lot of couple of already existing fragrances such as Givenchy Pi, Diesel Fuel For Life Spirit, YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense and maybe just a pinch of V&R Spicebomb. So, you're catching my drift?

It might seem to the reader that I'm being quite critical here, but I actually like Code Profumo, well sort of. However, if you have EDT - use that one for the whole year any occasion, day or night. As per Profumo, autumn and winter, evenings only. If you already have Code Ultimate, Profumo is quite redundant in your collection if you ask me. So would I own it? Hunching my shoulders a bit while saying "one day maybe, why not?"

The ting is, it's really not that bad. It's a good quality fragrance, but there's nothing original about it and, oh yes, here it goes again - Code Ultimate is still in production and available.

I'll rate this fragrance "neutral". Even though I like it, it's quite redundant when it comes to earlier works on the same theme from this house, not to mention other designer houses.

Projection 7/10

(fragrance tested 28.07.2016. but review written now due to not being listed in the directory until today)
23rd August, 2016

Mr. Burberry by Burberry

What a fluke. Characterless and bland. Tries to be a mix of Bvlgari PH and Burberry Beat for men. Unimaginative to say the least.

Grape-like fresh concoction of bit of wood and spices really doesn't trigger anything in a wearer. Character, spirit, zeal, joie de vivre avoid Mr. Burberry and he avoids them.

Quite a poorly made rubbish. I'm so sorry for such an utter and senseless criticism, but I can't help it.

Scent 4/10
Projection 7/10
22nd August, 2016 (last edited: 26th August, 2016)

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

I really like it. Sure there's nothing new here, but it's highly appealing.

Unlike EDT, EDP is more dry, almond note is more pronounced and smells less like a hybrid of Pure Malt and Pure Havane.

It's not really masculine. In style it reminds me a lot of Coco Mademoiselle, but that's not tragic at all. It has depth, it's creamy, sweet and a bit dry at the same time.

What Dior did with Homme line, Guerlain is trying with Ideal. I'm afraid it won't be as successful as Dior, despite its quality.

72,5%
22nd August, 2016

David Beckham Beyond by Beckham

A modern, typical mainstream woody-spicy fragrance. Nothing original about but it does imitate well more expensive counterparts. It's not a complete synthetic mess, which is very positive considering the price.

So, maybe it's cheap but it doesn't smell cheap. For every day use, whole year fragrance for all instances - work/office, date, clubbing etc.

For those who want to smell good for a low price. Thumb up from me.

_____________________
26/40 = 65%
01st July, 2016

L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent

Exquisitely good! Indeed nothing original, though, but what's good is good. Period.

Considering the shyness of the original L'Homme, this Ultime version is ultimate indeed and a very good universal fragrance. Good for all instances, albeit inclining to a more formal instance. Whole year fragrance, be it summer or winter, it'll do the trick.

Strong, potent, highly projective, in my case at least. Where Parfum Intense was a failure in my opinion, YSL tried to make it up with the Ultime version and succeeded.

Although not high on the priority list, I'll most certainly give an effort to make it a part of my collection eventually.

15th June, 2016

L'Anarchiste by Caron

Talk about "different" and "off", L'Anarchiste is it!
Funeral and wedding at the same time.

Rough and gentle, warm and cold, loud and silent, happy and sad, sane and mad.

Fruity notes and fresh mint combined with woods and musk create a feel of iron or copper to be precise. Highly unusual fragrance, hard to love and hard to hate at the same time. Absolutely unique.

This anarchist is more that of a nobility. Educated and calm, but had his rough time on the streets once. Now he's brooding while drinking a fine cognac, watching the parliament building in the distance from his window. Soon it'll burn. He knows, it's all settled. The clock is ticking final hours.
06th June, 2016

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

Old school vibe. Quite a "miracle", more like a surprise making such a fragrance in 1997. The muse here was definitely Joop! Homme, something like "L'eau" version of it. Not that bad.

There is a boom of citruses and woods, warm sharpness in the beginning. Soon the spices ensue but they're quickly moulded by woody notes and Lalique PH is no longer sharp, but more smooth with a creamy-powdery undertone, slightly enhanced by warmed up citruses.

Quite old fashioned and a formal scent for spring or early autumn. Too heavy for the summer and sort of characterless for the winter, albeit the fact it is strong as the scent.

25th May, 2016

A*Men Pure Tonka by Thierry Mugler

In style this is like a more refined, less burned and dry Pure Wood. Not bad at all, although I was really disappointed at first. When I sprayed it, it was totally Pure Wood to me until I took a deep breath and side tested them.

Not to get all "joy oh joy", I find it to be quite redundant if one has Pure Wood and vice versa.

Pure Tonka is very sweet and also quite soft. I don't see a lot similarities with Rochas Man as that one is much less dark and less sweet. As per New Haarlem, never tried it so I can't make any claims concerning that one.

If you're a fan of the Pure series, you'll love the fact that you have Pure Tonka even though you're not that impressed, like me for instance. If you're not the fan, own Pure Wood, you might think Tonka is not worth the effort and probably be right.

I'll rate it positive due to it's strength and overall quality, also for a reason of being a fan of the series and having them all in my collection.

Originality 0/10
27th April, 2016

Voyage by Nautica

So, you like Versace Man Fraiche, Azzaro Chrome, AdG and all the other alike, this one is your player.

Price is ridiculous for the quality you get. Price tag is cheap, but the smell doesn't smell cheap and the package doesn't look cheap.

A compliment getter and a great return of investment.

Originality 0/10
27th April, 2016

Cuba Brazil by Cuba Paris

For 5 bucks one gets a creamy, fresh and not all that synthetic mess kind of fragrance. In other words it doesn't smell like 5 bucks or 50 bucks, but you can bet it smells good. Well, for the time it lasts.

Sure it's nothing grandiose. It's a copy of few well known brands that last and project just a bit better and some which last much more.

If I were somewhere far away from home, needed something fast to put on in case I didn't bring anything with me, I'd go to a drug store and grab this one without thinking twice, use it for the time needed and that's it.
22nd April, 2016

The One for Men Eau de Parfum by Dolce & Gabbana

When compared to the EDT, EDP is quite redundant. But damn, I still love the juice.

It won't give you more or less projection or longevity than the EDT, but here's the catch when it comes to me - I'm the lucky guy. I get 12+ hours of longevity and 8+ hours of projection with EDT version.

So, from instance of owning EDT, EDP is redundant. From instance of loving the scent, loving the line, why not have a spare bottle and potentially - if one does have longevity and projection issues - maybe a bit stronger juice after all?

The thing is with this scent, EDT or EDP, you have to love it. Modern classic.
04th April, 2016

Fahrenheit Cologne by Christian Dior

More airy and citrusy than the original, also a bit milder version of already existing Aqua Fahrenheit which is a bit stronger.

If you like this line in general, then this will definitely find its way on your scent shelf. Otherwise this scent will be regarded as an interesting and a bit different approach to fresh scents, but will not become really popular. I think it'll be overlooked by the general population and maybe even among those who do appreciate the entire Fahrenheit story and like to have flankers.

I myself find it a bit more than ok, but not enough to give it a firm thumbs up.

My vote goes for Fahrenheit Aqua.
04th April, 2016

Reveal Men by Calvin Klein

Melon and pear, a synthetic mess on my skin.

Although I do understand the concept that's behind this, I just can't stand it. There is a slight element of YSL Body Kouros here, without eucaliptus but "enriched" with fruity notes. It is, however a rather soft and smooth fragrance, but overbearingly thick and sweet.

I believe there will be quite a few people who will enjoy this fragrance, not me apparently. I do have to admit that it's unique in a strange way.

Scent 4/10
Originality 7/10
09th February, 2016

L'Eau Kenzo Intense pour Homme by Kenzo

A bit more intense version of the original. Thicker and more sweet. There is an echo of the nineties/20th century here.

Pretty mainstream fragrance that won't turn heads, will be recognisable and appreciated when applied sparingly.

Ok, it's not that strong, but it's sort of "bubble gum" sweet which can be very annoying if you over-spray.

Simple, mainstream but done well.

Originality - 5/10
Scent - 6/10
Longevity - 8/10
Projection - 8/10
09th February, 2016

Joop! Homme Extreme by Joop!

Like some sort of a mainstream rock band that's still searching/exploring itself.

Dull, boring, sweet and overpowering.

Notes are black cococa? Where? I don't sense it. Hot skin note? Nope, not here. Patchouli? Maybe, just maybe.
A lot of sickening, sweetened chemicals? Definitely.

I still appreciate the original. When mildly applied, the original can make wonders even today.

Extremely boring and irritating.

Originality - 4/10
Scent - 5/10
21st January, 2016

CH Men Privé by Carolina Herrera

Excellent scent, but why neutral rating? It's a shameless copy of Dior Fahrenheit EDP. To make things even worse in a funny way, YSL La Nuit de L'Homme L'Intense smells as exactly the same as well.

So basically we get two completely the same scents under different brands and names, that copy Dior Fahrenheit EDP.
I'd say pretty much that's insulting. Now, I did rate YSL La Nuit de L'Homme L'Intense positively, regardless of the fact that it's a shameless copy. I can not and will not rate CH Men Prive positively albeit the fact that it smells completely the same as YSL and Dior F.EDP, in other words it smells nice and classy.

The third frag that'll smell like this will get a negative review only on that basis, that it smells exactly the same. Because really, could there a third one, excluding Fahrenheit EDP which was the first? How things are going, there'll be a lot of them, hell, why not exactly the same by Gucci? It's name should be "Exactly the same Pour Homme".

Originality - 0/10 I think I said it all