Reviews by Zgb

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

In the Mood for Love Man by Gianfranco Ferré

I would almost agree with the former mentioned F Black connection, however, F Black is far more quality juice and unlike GF In the mood for Love Man, has some character.

GF In the mood for love doesn't bring me in the mood at all, definitely. It is a synthetic, cold yet sweet, spicy scent. Albeit it doesn't make me want to heave up, it really isn't anything I'd like to remember. I do believe that it'll find some love among the wider crowd.

01st October, 2012

L.12.12 Rouge / Red by Lacoste

Ok, maybe not as "red" but it just as might be! I really like this one. There is something sportish yet chic about this one. Not formal, sportish but not in a teenage typical citrus way. There's a bit of depth here. Mandarine, mango and a hint of benzoin with a touch of woody notes and we have something not all that bad, au contraire, quite surprisingly good!

L.12.12 Vert / Green by Lacoste

Hugo by Hugo Boss wannabe. Almost the same but this one doesn't last as long or projects as Hugo does. All in all, a rip off that lacks quality.

L.12.12 Blanc / White by Lacoste

Quite appealing and apple like, although apple is not in the pyramid notes. Nothing special at all, but I must stress out that it is appealing despite the fact that it's nothing original and it's quite mainstream.

Intuition by Estée Lauder

Quite feminine and complementary with the male version of the scent. In style, de facto, male and female version are the same and yet the male version is unmistakably masculine, whilst the femme version is unmistakably feminine. This is not for a "from the hood" girl, but for a woman that has some class and is intelligent. Scent itself is quite flowery, slightly backed up by woody notes, very well rounded and refined. There is a certain heaviness about it, but not such that it could not be worn during hotter weather, albeit with very mild application.

Intuition for Men by Estée Lauder

Sharp, zesty, conservative and quite Terre D'Hermes like. Strong in character, somewhat bitter and not a mainstreamer at all. In the initial wave there as if there is an echo of Fahrenheit but that's only for a while. A good quality scent for "stronger" men who'd like to avoid sweet orientals and yet smell contemporary and masculine.

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

Albeit similar, Intense version of Dior Homme talks a different story. A bit darker, evening character is even more profound in this version. In my opinion, whoever loves DH simply must own DHI as well! A bit smokier but not in a tobacco way, hint of cacao but dark and thick (no cacao notes in the scent per se). This scent is just gorgeous and that's that. To a person that's a bit more experienced in this hobby DH and DHI are both to be a part of the collection.

23 September, 2012

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

What's there to say. Youthful yet mature, sweet, thick but also somehow bitter and sharp which makes it quite masculine. Good quality colder weather scent that avoids me and I'm unfairly avoiding it, at least for now.

18 September, 2012

Oyédo by Diptyque

Citrusy, minty, woody. Unisex? I'm not sure. Not original at all but a good quality scent that puts me in the gloomy mood as if I sprayed depression all over myself.

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée by Guerlain

A good quality fragrance. So why a thumb down? It's the negative emotions that scent inspires in me. It's formal, office scent that blends well in spring time. It could be perfect for funerals too. I must stress out that the scent itself, albeit not all too original, is in fact a high quality scent, but I can't forgive it the fact that it puts me in the negative, gloomy mood.

Gucci by Gucci Sport Pour Homme by Gucci

Gucci by Gucci PH would be quite good only if it was stronger. So, they make something even weaker and call it "Sport". I've got nothing else to say about this one.

Tabac Man Silver by Mäurer & Wirtz

More contemporary and quite fresh unlike the original. Nothing much to say about this fragrance, however it is a quite positive scent, relatively good quality for the low price. Nothing memorable, but worth a wear once in a while.

12 September, 2012

GF Ferré Lui / Him by Gianfranco Ferré

Sweet, smooth, rounded, woody and spicy. An effort was put to compose this one. I've got nothing negative to say about this fragrance. I see some connection with Joop! Jump, Cerruti Pour Homme, Chopard Pour Homme and Azzaro Boarding (wich is not in the directory). Spring scent with some elegance, although it could hold well in all seasons except summer when due to heat it might dissipate fast. All in all thumb up, and too bad it's not mentioned here and there, I think it deserves it.

Boss Bottled Sport by Hugo Boss

What a pleasant surprise indeed! It even has some style and character. In all manners of a fresh scent, he is a winner. It has the freshness of Issey Miyake, heaviness of Fahrenheit and a style of Dior Homme Sport and yet is like neither of mentioned! What I was expecting is watered down lemon mixed with some spices with overall poor longevity and projection. What I got was a very nice scent that lasts, projects and actually smells quite great. Of course it's not a hype, nothing revolutional, but I repeat, a nice surprise by Hugo Boss.

Decibel by Azzaro

A projective, irritating bomb not following a typical Azzaro style. It reminds of CK Shock, but this one is more loud in a negative way to me. Scent itself is like a spoiled, loud brat that got a lot candy and is crying for more candy and attention after it puked all the candy that it has eaten already.

cK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein

Nothing shocking, but really not a bad juice. It borders with a gourmand category and I see the connection with Givenchy Very Irresistible for Men, but CK Shock is a bit more fruity and less formal, or to express myself more correctly, it is more casual than Givenchy. This fragrance blends quite well during colder weather seasons as the scent itself is quite warm. Longevity and projection are great. I'm rating it neutral only on account I find Givency better and I find it to be an example for many fragrances such as Azzaro Decibel (which I rate thumb down), CK Shock and Diesel Only the Brave Tattoo (which I rate thumb up).

cK be by Calvin Klein

Incredible how much it reminds me of Emporio Armani Him. I don't find this fragrance unisex at all, but quite masculine. There is this sharp, synthetic-technological smell about it, slightly sweetened. Albeit not unique altogether, and just because former mentioned Armani fragrance, scent will get noticed and be regarded as something smelled a lot in the neighbourhood or wider.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Sport by Issey Miyake

Why? Is it a trend? Well of course it is a trend. Why would one want to wear this one, albeit I have to admit that the scent is really good, ironically. When compared to the original and its intense version, this one is just not up to the task. Iteration indeed, as mentioned here by member "Andrewthecologneguy", but non the less a pleasing iteration.

29 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 September, 2012)

Kokorico by Jean Paul Gaultier

I myself am confused about this one, but non the less I like it! I can see that JPG tried to launch something could be en par to Le Male, a new classic that would stand side by side with Le Male and share a status of classic. This is where Kokorico is a complete failure. Now, in the terms of fragrance or smell itself, that is, I find it to be quite seductive, sweetly dry and cold in charachter, somewhat a hint of Zino Davidoff in it. People will mention it here and there but just don't see it as some future, popular mainstream, new age classic it was supposed to be. Le Male is THE fragrance of this house and that's that.

I'll rate it thumbs up only on account that I really liked it on me and it's quite long lasting with great sillage. Otherwise, fragrance itself should be rated neutral and I do expect at least 70% of reviews here to be "neutral" in character.

28 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 September, 2012)

Azzaro Pour Homme Night Time by Azzaro

Sweet, a bit cold in charachter, but masculine and nothing to do with the original. Its only potential fail would be the marketing or, to be precise lack thereof. If you're into Escada Magnetism for men, Roberto Cavalli Black or La Nuit de L'Homme or Feragammo F Black then this is your scent! I almost dare call it a "player". Very contemporary fragrance with no hint of clasicism of the original. Cedar and vetiver give quite a dose of mascunlinity whilst the sweetness is constantly retained and present. I'm not expecting it to become a hype on Basenotes, but I'll make sure to mention it here in the forums once in a while because in my opinion it deserves to be noticed. Longevity and sillage are astonishing so be careful when applying. Thumb up for this one! To say the truth, I expected it to be quite a fail and I'm so glad it proved me otherwise.

26 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2012)

Azzaro Pour Homme L'Eau by Azzaro

Why neutral? Well, original is original and that's that. There is a strange watery echo in this fragrance in the dry-down, not necessarily bad. Citruses are mildly felt only in the initial moments after spraying but all in all this scent is too similar at one point to the original, at the other point it is way similar to the Cerruti 1881. So, all in all not bad, classic scent in the spirit of the 1980's but also unnecessary and I find it quite doubtful that it'll be noticed or get a lot of attention.

26 August, 2012

Magic Man by Bruno Banani

Sweet and spicy but in a bit a cold way. There is quite a similarity, or connection, to be precise, wit Diesel only the brave. All in all quite youthfull night out fragrance that is not bad at all and doesn't lack quality in terms of projection or longevity.

03 August, 2012

Black by Kenneth Cole

Ok, I'll be short about this one. Black? What's "Black" about this unimaginative citrusy with tad bit coffee junk of a perfume? "Black" is its name and the bottle. The scent itself is bland and forgettable.

02 August, 2012

1881 by Cerruti

Classic that falls into Kouros category but with less animality and tad bit more formality, a milder approach let's say. Quite creamy and I really like the pine note in it. Incredible as it may sound to you, but this scent reminds me of former Yugoslavia in summer and a sea resort. I was just a little child then, but despite that, I remember those times, that feeling.
    Nobody talks about Cerruti 1881 Man and I think that's just wrong. This perfume deserves to be mentioned much more. Thumbs up!

02 August, 2012

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

Faceless, metallic, repulsively cold and sour. I can't imagine a person that'd be drawn to it.

Projection and longevity are ok, but who cares as I really wouldn't want to smell like this for too long...at all actually.

27 July, 2012

Brit Summer Edition for Men by Burberry

A good quality fragrance that causes pleasant feelings, but it's too similar to the original and New Year edition 2010 (which is still not in the directory). All in all, Brit Summer for men is not so much "summer" in my opinion. It's still heavy enough to blend well in autumn and winter. If this is for summer, so is the original.

I'm rating this one neutral only because I don't see this as a summer fragrance and because it's way too similar to the original, albeit the fact that I actually really, really like this fragrance.

Update 22.05.2014. - yesterday 21.05.2014. I've tried it again after almost two years. I have to admit I like it, however it is a bit too rose-y and quite feminine. Regardless of that, I like it, but my neutral rating will have to remain. Potency is immense as it projects wildly and very, very sweet to a point it can be cloying, thus quite not for the summer at ll. Longevity is also exquisite, 12+ hours on my skin.

26 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 May, 2014)

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I was quite baffled at first but then it really hit me. Quite much of the original there but yet Aqua version has toned it down in a very positive way. We're not talking about typical aqua here, yet there is distinct specific water note emmited by violet, I think. It's a very smooth fragrance. I like to compare this fragrance to Boss Elements Aqua due to it's smoothness and style. All in all it'll be a nice catch for me.

12 May, 2012

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

Synthetic and cold in charaachter but I think it's fabulous. Very contemporary and free, there is sort of unique vibe about it and it's not overworn at all. I don't like the bottle even though it fits the fragrance wich I, ironically, like! Longevity and projection are great. I understand why this might be tad bit off putting to people, and it's amber note is very strong and I agree quite synthetic, but I can't help it, I just like this juice and that's that.

12 May, 2012

Hugo Just Different by Hugo Boss

Ok, not bad, who liked the original will also like this one or even more. Scent itself is quite good however its projection is so pathetic and I can't forgive this. The touch of the original is present, but the originals projection and longevity are also great unlike this version wich smells actually better than the original. All in all, in a sense of smell it's not a fail, but in a sense of projection and longevity it fails completely.

08 May, 2012

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

In a way it reminds me a bit of Gucci Envy For Men. Quite an interesting juice that I just might give a chance in the future. I was expecting it to be a fail for certain, not that I'm mesmerised, but it is sort of chic and its longevity and projection are somewhat better than with the original version. I wouldn't wear this one on a very hot day, rather in spring, autumn and winter. In any case, thumbs up.

08 May, 2012