Reviews by Zgb

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Potion by Dsquared2

On my skin, in first wave, it emulates like a cold, sweet walnut liquer but quickly starts to remind me of Gucci PH I, but only in a sense of style. Despite reminding me of Gucci PH I, it is retaining this cold sweetness wich separates it from Gucci PH I. After hour or two it returns back to the top notes while GPH I parts are left only in traces. With all that the scent is a bit "smoky", sweetly honey like (although no honey notes in it), projecting quite strong. It's a good quality scent but all in all it's not my cup of tea.

L'Homme Libre by Yves Saint Laurent

Very nice tropic like warm, watery with tad bit of fruit all in a seashell scent. The original is felt in the background but at the same time there is Chanel Bleu connection about this version, and not a bad one indeed. Incredibly nice balance between being warm and inviting, yet being somehow sharp and fresh. Sexy and free, totally non formal but with a style. Its only flaw is in the sense of marketing - it's a flanker and mostly it'll be regarded by many only on that account.

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

I didn't expect it to become a hype on Basenotes but even less have I expected it to be quite bashed from the start. Allure homme sport extreme is tad bit gourmand scent, not so casual, yet almost formal and not sporty whatsoever. In a sense of a style it reminds me of JPG Le Male a lot, I'm stressing out the word - style - not the smell itself. Creamy, soft, elegant, sexy and inviting scent. It made quite a positive impact on me. Now, I know this sounds crazy, but I think that Allure Homme Sport and its extreme version are worthy of owning both at the same time as extreme is more romantic, smoother and more gentle, the previous version has more emphasis on masculinity, sharpness yet retaining elements of class and smoothness and is louder in a bit different way. In my opinion Chanel didn't blow it with this, maybe only in a sense that this scent is a flanker whilst it has enough of a character of its own that it should be regarded not as flanker, but a scent for itself.

Cool Water Pure Pacific by Davidoff

Tad bit sweeter, yet retaining the character of the original. I usually don't have the tendency to try Cool Water flankers as there are too many of them, thus Cool Water being tastestly overflankered. This however was a pleasant surprise to me to an extent I'm even considering to own it. Longevity and projection are great.

29 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2012)

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

In initial blast - atroucious and cheap. It quiets down to dry, warm, spicy wood mixed with apple. Becomes almost interesting, chic yet causal, free spirited and warm, but then again it has nothing that would make me want it.

29 March, 2012

Dangerous Man by Bruno Banani

Rather sharp, zesty and even leathery (though no leather notes) fragrance that tries to copy Fahrenheit in style without copying Fahrenheit per se. Wether it succeeded or not is rather subjective, however I wouldn't throw rocks on this one, not at all. What I was expecting from this fragrance was that it'd be sweet. It turned out it's rather dry, sharp and somewhat bitter. I'd even give this one a thumb up, the reason I'm not is simple - albeit the fact that it did leave certain impression and it's longevity and projection are quite satisfying, there's nothing about it that was motivating or inspiring to me. Nice try though.

13 March, 2012

Brit by Burberry

Very strong, powdery and floral but not suffocating or heavy. Very smouldering and bracing. Quite a sophisticated womans scent and I can't imagine a teenage brat wearing this. Woman that takes care of herself and with a dose of formality. I find this scent to be quite floral and almond like, albeit the notes list does not appear to be floral whatsoever. This scent made me appreaciate Burberry Brit For Men a bit more and I find it to be quite complementary with this scent. The reason I'm commenting this scent is because I've mingled with a girl who wore it and the thing stuck on my skin and coat. Longevity and projection are outstanding. All in all, I hope she wears it next time I meet her.

05 March, 2012

Absolue Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I can't stand this vile, atrocious thick attack of rose, honey and benzoin. It is so heavy, so thick, so overpowering that it actually wears the wearer and not the other way around. This scent, if it must be worn, should be worn during very cold weather, if possible very much below freezing levels. I do see this as a niche fragrance and I see it as a very daring scent, but for the love of God just keep this far away from me...I think minimum 10 km is enough for me not to feel someone wearing it.

14 January, 2012

Aventus by Creed

Not that I won't mayhaps change my opinion or even own it in the future, but this scent incredibly reminds me of Emporio Armani Him. In a way lighter, sweeter version, but non the less refined, lets say and tad bit sweeter. There is nothing about Aventus that would make me glorify this scent the way it's being glorified on this site in general. Would I recognise it as a niche in general? No. Is this some magic potion that came from the sky? No. Is this a good quality scent that didn't rock my world? Yes. I could name a dozen if not couple of dozen of designers scent that, if they don't actually "rock my world" have a good potential to do so. One other thing, it seems that Aventus is a great compliment getter, at least it is claimed to be by many here, and it also seems it's worn by the crowd exclusively on account of getting compliments and being noticed and not for the personal enjoyment in the scent per se. A very nice fragrance, all in all, and I do see a lot of potential here. Rushing to own it, however, will not happen in my case. I'll take my time.

06 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 26 September, 2012)

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The significant difference between this one and it's flanker La Nuit is that La Nuit has great projection and longevity, whilst this one doesn't. It turned out to be quite shy on my skin, I'd rate it thumb up if it weren't so.

25 December, 2011

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Very similar to Gucci Pour Homme 1 (2003.) and Juicy Couture Dirty English. It projects more and lasts longer than Gucci PH I, so it is a good alternative to it as Gucci PH I and Dirty English are discontinued fragrances. What's there to say about this juice? Incense, spice and warm wood. Women will appreciate it as they're bombarded with sweet scents or overly citrus scents by men all the time. All in all, sometimes copycats are not such a bad idea after all, au contraire.

25 December, 2011

Kenzo Pour Homme Boisée / Woody by Kenzo

The moment I've tried it I was captivated by it. So fresh and lively, yet cold in character. Unique, as Kenzo does make them that way. Do not be fooled by this one, fresh as it is, there is a great ammount of thickness, heaviness. It will project and it will last, it is not all that casual. I'm not saying this is a very formal fragrance, but it's not a kiddy or a teenage scent, that's for sure. Thumbs up.

24 December, 2011

Zara Man by Zara

I got this one as a birthday present from a friend working at Zara. This fragrance is a weird cross of Bvlgari Aqua Marine and Dior Homme Sport and this way mixed, in style it reminds a bit of CK Truth for men. Scent itself is fresh, longlasting and not that all cheap smelling. Alberto Morrilas is a man who designed some of the worlds famous fragrances, so that explains why Zara Man (word "limited" is written on the green bottle), even though not original at all, actually smells good and can pass to a stranger as a fragrance of more profound designer name such as Boss, Davidoff, Bvlgari or even Gucci these days after their new line gucci by gucci, g by g sport, guilty, guilty intense as they turned their backs to Gucci Envy For Men, Gucci PH I and other older scents that made a name Gucci a respectable one. Now, back to the fragrance - longevity is 6-8 hours, projection somewhat better than medium and noone will think that you're wearing something cheap or obscure, at least by my personal experience.

Update: I know I was on to something. Guy that created Acqua di Gio for men, created this one as well as Zara Man is a complete copy of the mentioned. I personally believe this was done on demand of the Zara house.

29 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2011)

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

I feel quite much of plum in this scent, and I adore the smell of plums in fragrances. Incense doesn't dominate at all, it is hardly felt, at least on my skin. It is not a loud scent, yet quite present and elegant too, I do agree it is formal. To an extent it could be comparable with Xeryus Rouge in sense of style as they both share this fruity vibe, XR being less warm. This fragrance deserves more attention than it gets, and on this site it gets none unfortunately.

18 October, 2011

Chopard pour Homme by Chopard

Nothing new, but the style and a scent women tend to appreciate, at least in my enviroment. Spicy with some nice hint of wood it reminds me of Cerruti Pour Homme (wich I like more as it is a bit more intense) quite much. Innofensive, relatively fresh scent for the office and maybe a date too, as I regard this type of scent as innofensively stylish.

15 October, 2011

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Such a shame for the longevity of this scent. Orange and orange leaves, dry but not dry to an extent that they've turned brown, scent I'd buy instantly if it'd last for more than 2 hours. I do know where I'll get my dryness and ornages, it's well known Terre d'Hermes.

I'm rating this neutral not on part of projection, but on part of longevity.

03 September, 2011

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

Even though not very original, highly appealing. When I'm mentioning originality I'm actually referring to Hugo Boss No 6 aka Bottled. There is something, though, that slightly detaches it from Boss Bottled but not to an extent to own it if Boss Bottled is already owned. This type of fragrance is for a charismatic, elegant, self assured man and might be a part of my collection once my bottle of Boss no6 gets drained completely. Thumb up from me with this slight hope that Davidoff maybe, just maybe "has it".

24 August, 2011

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Funny I haven't realised that I wrote no review about this fragrance. Warm concotion, creamy, quite oft compared with lipstick smell wich I understand but myself do not actually feel this way about this fragrance. Elegance, yes and incredibly how much this fragrance is powerfully masculine to me exactly because of this certain female-ish vibe in it. What are men without women anyway, women inspire us to be more than just average joes, inspire us to be more men than we are just like in ancient Sparta. It's that feminine support that this scent has, it's support, not the essence, the essence of a man never changes. This scent is sometimes bashed as being feminine, it's the inner fear of certain men for becoming female-like if they wear a certain frag, but this frag in essence is masculine and it's that elegance that confuses these men as most men run away from elegance considering it as something gay/queer/weird (gimme beer and make me a "sammich" kind of guys). If you'll be eager to search for the lipstick note, sure you'll find one, but if one'd clear his mind from such bullocks and have one "clean" nose inhaling moment with this it'd be simply revealing in the manner - too fancy for me or damn this fancy and I want this. I'm glad to know that there are more in the latter group than the former, snobbish as I may seem.

Scent itself is original and elegant, vanilla, leather, tad bit smoky and I think women in fact might drool on this one when worn by a man who has a proper attire on him and behaves like a gent (not pushing it though). Longevity is sometimes issue with this one as I have an impression it lasts only a few hours on me, yet some other times as if it lasts much longer. Moody scent in terms longevity and projection.

A+ fragrance and I think I should use it more often but my collection is shamelesly big and a man loses himself when there are too many frags to choose, such is the case with almost anything in life when it comes to abundance of choices.

Dior Homme - one of many, but one of many special ones.

17 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 September, 2011)

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Elegant and casual at the same time. Whole year rounder if you ask me. Serious and tad bit conservative, yet not stiff or stuck up. It is fresh but in a light or to say lithe manner. Mild tea note is present, but just a bit, nicely spiced up with a hint of wood too. This one deserves more attention in general and should be talked about more.

16 August, 2011

Boss in Motion : Made for Summer by Hugo Boss

Watered down version of Boss in motion black. I got this one as a gift from my friend. I myself would not have bought on my own as it kind of lacks the charachter when a) compared to Boss in motion black b) other Boss frags wich are not all that bad, but being bashed a lot non the less c) considering what I own in my not that small collection.

15 August, 2011

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

Old classic, fresh, smells like a laundry soap. This would definitely not fit me at all. The only reason I'm not giving this one a thumb down is because I do not consider it to be all that bad and we have to take under consideration the time this cologne was created.

25 June, 2011

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

From fresh citruses to a warm, classic, office signature scent. Well refined, smooth and elegant. I really love it but at the same time I don't see myself wearing this, at least not yet.

21st June, 2011

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

I can see it got its share of bashing here but I completely love this scent! It is so youthfull and free. Zesty scent for summer evenings and a casual style, definitely a scent that will get noticed. Pepper is strong in the inital burst but quickly settles down to a nice spicy, aromatic and a tad bit woody scent. Longevity and projection are outstanding! Just love it!

16 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2012)

Champion by Davidoff

Nothing revolutional. Spicy, fresh and quite sharp at the same time. I cannot though point fingers at it and say eew, but I do have to concour that it smells cheap, somewhat reminds me of Boss Bottled Night and to an extent Chanel Bleue wich is more sophisticated than the former mentioned. Champion has a solid longevity and projection, but the scent itself is easily forgettable.

(edit due to lapsus calami)

05 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st March, 2013)

Rose 31 by Le Labo

I'm not a big expert when it comes to defining notes, however, I'm good at describing impressions a scent creates. At a first whiff it smells like a sweet, highclass brandy, but this is short term as it really quickly turns into something sweet, spicy but nothing like we're used to in context of sweet that is usually represented by Body Kouros, Le Male, Pi etc.
    Rose 31 has a woody vibe to it, element of warm wood is present to my nose, rose itself I cannot expurgate. Rose 31 is deep, sincere, not at all shallow. It represents a good taste, a man with deeper thoughts and senses.

05 June, 2011

cK one by Calvin Klein

I agree with the "smelled it a million times" constatation, but non the less - so appealing, attractive, fresh, youthful, cheerful and free. No mistake in owning it, no matter the fact it is overworn just like AdG.

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 June, 2011)

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

This one is quite good, serious and a masculine fragrance. There is a bit of Zino here, and a bit of Armani Attitude, but with something that separates it from the two mentioned. The thing that separates is the citruses and the lavender. I'm in fact a bit surprised that this scent recieved so many negative revivews as this is a rather distinguishing scent with quite a cahrachter. It is a whole year scent, but it could be ragarded as tad bit heavy on hot and sultry days. Longevity and projection are quite good.

10th May, 2011

F pour Homme Black by Salvatore Ferragamo

This scent was surely designed for seduction. I'm pretty positive about it. It is very elegant, smooth, woody, spicy, masculine, serious, slightly powdery. Sillage and longevity are great, one should be careful when applying. This scent is a whole year rounder, although I presume it would develop best during cold weather, summer evenings - not bad, but only one spritz. I can see some connections with Terre d'Hermes, but also it has a certain similar vibe with Givenchy Very Irresistible For Men. Ferragamo is a house rarely mentioned, it remains so but without apparent reason as their scents are in general of good quality and highly appealing.

09 May, 2011

Only The Brave by Diesel

I have to agree with MassMenace review below. Scent itself is very projective, quite excellent longevity. Nothing stunning, nothing new, nothing ˝brave˝ about it. If you ask me, if ˝only the brave˝ was anything similar to original Fahrenheit by Dior then the name would be justified. This is a sweet, spicy scent for the masses, but I have to admit that I find it highly appealing and would have no problem owning this. I'll rate it thumb up only because I find the scent very nice and it's possible that mayhaps I might even own it in the future.

09 May, 2011

Zen for Men by Shiseido

I don't see the need for overbashing this fragrance. I, for instance, find it quite pleasant and soothing. It is not revolutional or something way new but there is a hint of distinctiveness in it. I'll give it thumb up, I might even own it in the near future.

06 April, 2011