Reviews by Zgb

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Quite soapy and calodont-ish, sort of. An interesting, zealous, sharp fellow indeed.

It most certainly shares the vibe or style with V&R Spicebomb and Burberry London, however Eau des Baux is specific and has a quite different character.

This scent is a bit rough around the edges, but not in a negative way. It pampers no one, however also doesn't judge.

For a bit more mature lot with a firm stance and outlook towards the world and life.

67,5%
16th October, 2017

Invictus Aqua by Paco Rabanne

More wearable and more decent than any from that line, namely the original and intense version.

The original Invictus reminded me a lot of Carolina Herrera Chic for men, only more aggressive, louder, sharper. Invictus Aqua gives of a hint of it too, but softer, more decent.

This one is very hyped among the youtube review community. Although I can see why, there are a lot of frags out there in the market that can make the same effect that Invictus Aqua does. So basically it is a generic mainstream fragrance, albeit done rather and really well.

For what it is, it is going to work and serve its purpose more than well. Easily wearable and accepted, unburdening yet firm and present.

24th September, 2017

M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent

M7 Oud Absolu is more formal and less pungent version of the old M7. The original M7 is all about showing strength and willpower, determination, moving around the town in the evening. M7 Oud Absolu on the other hand is a bit more toned down, calmer, for closed quarters. However it doesn't mean that it's weaker. The medicinal note here is less pronounced.

All in all, this version is a bit more calm, pleasant and chic without being less potent. I lasts and projects rather well.

If I had to choose, of course the original is original and that's that. However I'm very happy and pleased with this version. It's not that significantly far from the original in character and spirit. There are a few differences from up close. From the distance however, even avid fans will simply recognise it as M7 and not this or that version.

Conclusion: may he stay here even in this bottle. Spirit, character and signature are here. Longevity and projection are adequate. That's good enough for me.

Originality 7/10 high because old M7 is gone
Scent 9/10
80%
16th September, 2017

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

Decent, borderline masculine, Cartier quality scent.

The rose note is quite dominant, but the scent isn't that off putting as one would expect. Fragrance is strong and long lasting but mild in character at the same time.

When speaking of decency, this fragrance emits some form of gentlemen like, cavalier energy. Funny indeed, when was the last time I heard or used the term "cavalier"? Beats me, but I'll sure remember this scent.

I'd wear it in the spring, maybe even summer. Autumn definitely, but not winter. I wouldn't go clubbing with this one, albeit there are few Youtube reviewers who swear this works in the club. Now, a regular non-clubbing night out, sure. Dating, night or day, why not. Office, sure with mild application.

Personally, I'm not crazy about this one. I don't think it suits me. Regardless, it does invite me to give it a chance with a full bottle. Not now, not yet, but most likely in some time.

No matter what one may think about Declaration d'Un Soir, it is a very inviting fragrance, always somehow mildly, sincerely smiling and welcoming to the wearer and the environment.

14th September, 2017

Encre Noire à l'Extrême by Lalique

Less damp and cold than the original. While the original Encre Noire is much colder and sharper in character, A L'Extreme is warmer, smoother, more inviting but still a bit dark.

I'd rather not be in a position of having to choose between the two because both are exceptionally well done fragrances.

Sure similarities are there. Ink note here is a bit lower, wood notes are a bit stronger. Still, however, this is what you want if you like this type of fragrances and the original. Not better, not worse, just a bit different but yet different enough.

12th September, 2017

Individuel by Montblanc

I've heard a lot about this scent. A very, very good work. Not phenomenal, but very good.

A more humane version of Joop!Homme, at least for those who don't like Joop!.

Montblanc Indiviuel is a very nice, unburdening, bright spirited oriental for all circumstances and occasions. Sweet and potent, but not heavy and dense. Far more decent than Joop! Homme that still remains a beast that devours everything in its site, including the wearer.

Conclusion: considering what you get for this price, this is a must have fall and winter signature scent. Return of invest is this fragrance's top advantage when getting potential customers, and for a good reason. Smells very good and costs very cheap.

12th September, 2017

Touch for Men by Burberry

Peppery, sweet, soapy, formal, classic and soft.

There's a bit of a connection with Le Male here, but Touch for men is a bit more tea like herbal - green and soapy.

A good fragrance for formal occasions, office, daily meetings. It is not a weak fragrance, yet not loud at all. It has a calming effect on the wearer and the environment.

Decent, pleasant scent for people of milder characters (doesn't mean weak people), relaxing types but also bright joyful at the same time.

___________________
65%
11th September, 2017

Dior Homme Eau for Men by Christian Dior

How to describe Dior Homme Eau? Milder version of Dior Homme with substantially lower dose of iris, absolutely.
DHE is very specific, elegant and likable scent. There is certain mild, pleasant sweetness that this scent emits.

To be a bit critical now, to me it's quite a feminine fragrance. DH is much more masculine, regardless of iris note being much stronger in it. DHE, when dries a bit, smells tad bit like a sugar melted in leftovers of a nice fruit tea.

Definitely a must try if you like Dior as a house in general and a must have if you love this DH line.

Comparison: I find DHE to be much more airy, less synthetic and refined version of Hugo Boss Boss Selection.

Conclusion: I didn't expect DHE to smell the way it does, however I'm not disappointed. This is a very specific and elegant scent.

Regardless of this nice review, I have to rate it neutral. I just can't see it on me. Sure I can spray myself with it, but I won't be taken seriously wearing it. I can't wear anything pink coloured, for instance, it just doesn't look good on me, doesn't suit me. Same with DHE.

Originality: 6/10
Scent: 7/10
Longevity: 7/10
Projection: 6/10
65 %
11th September, 2017

Prada L'Homme by Prada

Good work, but I don't really like it. In style it resembles a lot with Valentino Uomo Intense, Dior Homme, Rochas Man, Givenchy Play Intense etc. but doesn't really copy them. It has a distinct smell. There's an echo of Prada Man (Amber) in here too.

I didn't click well with this. Regardless it does get my respect. It doesn't call me, didn't trigger emotions in me. I understand it has its crowd of followers and that's ok. I think it deserves to be followed but just not by me.

Neutral rating due to understanding the concept, however not resonating with it whatsoever.

03rd August, 2017

L'Homme Ideal Sport by Guerlain

I like this line, but Sport flanker is absolutely redundant here when compared with Cologne flanker. Somebody will most certainly love Sport version. I'll just sort of appreciate the idea and that's about it.

55%
03rd August, 2017

Uomo Acqua by Valentino

Complete fail. It is a good summer fragrance, but not for men. This is very, very feminine frag!

Scent is distinct and unique in men's line, albeit not uncommon among women. If I smelled it on a woman, I'd definitely compliment her.

I am on a verge of giving it a neutral rating, however this is so wrong on so many levels when I smell it on me that I simply have to rate it negatively.
28th July, 2017 (last edited: 24th August, 2017)

Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy

Excellent work! Sure it's clone of V&R Spicebomb and PR 1 Million / Privee flanker, but it's a darn good fragrance.

This is definitely how I want to smell this autumn and winter.

Spicy, sweet, a bit dark and with a Givenchy elegance. One of rare fragrances that instigates emotions of life and life path/course in me. The only fragrance that managed this was and still is Gucci Envy For Men. Now there are two.

I don't mind if this is a clone. I'm not and I like what I like. The course is set, path is clear.

________________
28th July, 2017

Azzaro pour Homme Intense (new) by Azzaro

What a beautiful "evil" of the scent. When I say this, I think positively of course.

Sharp and bitter, warm in a strange but also cold way. Its lips never smile, but the eyes do.

Fougere par excellence. There's a touch of the original here but Intense is much darker, bit less wearable, or to be precise, less versatile. For the colder months and the evening.

Cinnamon in a way I haven't encountered yet, all that covered with brandy. Vetiver is strong, amber is not silent and tonka whispers loudly. All the notes are quite well intertwined in conversation how there's still hope for the better times, regardless of all that mainstream, teenage frags we're bombarded with lately.

The Azzaro PH Intense will not, however, push the original from its throne. They are complementary. The original is a whole year rounder, all occasions fragrance, while the Intense version is, in my opinion, strictly for fall and winter, evenings and go outs.

A gentleman and a scoundrel at the same time. Teenagers and weak blooded/minded will avoid this one. Too much character, integrity, honour and strength about this one.

Scent 9/10
Projection 9/10
34/40=85%
09th June, 2017 (last edited: 31st August, 2017)

Le Male Eau Fraiche by Jean Paul Gaultier

I tried the Superman flanker today which is not in the directory but is the same fragrance as Popeye flanker. Same notes, same composition.

Quite redundant if you own the original, however a rather nice variation of the theme.

For a younger crowd that enjoys life and enjoys enjoying it.
Carefully with the application as you might appear as senseless, tasteless clown looking for attention. Thing is a bit fresher but highly potent, at least on my skin.

Originality 2/10
_________________
62,5% - rather high rating in terms of numbers, but however my overall impression is "neutral" because to me the original is the king.
04th June, 2017

Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

To me this is better than Sauvage. Yeah, easily compared the two. Luna Rossa Carbon is simply less offensive, less sharp and has no bubble gum effect that Sauvage does.

Bleu has set the trend, Sauvage lifted the scale up and Luna Rossa Carbon is but a follower, however more than decent one in my opinion. I'd pick L.R.C. over Sauvage any time. It just seems more rounded and well balanced unlike Sauvage.

26/40=65%
30th May, 2017

La Nuit de L'Homme Eau Électrique by Yves Saint Laurent

2 in 1. Eau Electique is a mix of the original and La Nuit formula, closer to the 2009. La Nuit flanker prior to supposed reformulations.

It pretty much covers all the angles. Day, night, casual, office, clubbing, dating. Spring, summer, fall but not winter. Why not winter? Not because it's not strong enough, but its character and style are not winter like.

Conclusion: antoher flanker with zero originality, but it passes easily if you're a fan of the original and La Nuit flanker. Redundant if you own either or both, however if you ran out of them and want that good, same old effect, Eau Electriqe flanker is your player.

Originality: 4/10
Scent: 8/10
Longevity: 7/10
Projection: 7/10
26/40 = 65%
26th May, 2017

Guerlain Homme Intense by Guerlain

So, EDP you say? Guerlain you say? Such a weak and generic fragrance. Sure it has this echo of Guerlain elegance, but not enough to meet the price and the expectations that bottle gives.

Woody and just slightly boozy, basement sort of damp and dark.

Shame. It could have been an amazing fragrance if not a masterpiece.

Originality: 5/10
Scent: 4/10
Longevity: 6/10
Projection: 4/10
19/40 = 47,5%
21st May, 2017

Burberry Summer For Men 2013 by Burberry

Ah yes, I remember this one, but only an echo of a memory. Tried it right about 4 years ago and made a short review of it on another site.

Flanker of a flanker of a flanker. Fresh, citrusy and just a bit musky. Albeit nothing new 4 years ago, even less new 4 years later, still a likeable fragrance among many similar likeable fragrances.

________________
22/40 = 55%
12th May, 2017

Aqua pour Homme Atlantique by Bulgari

The old Bvlgari Aqva had and still has this certain something. It is complementary with its wearer in communication with the environment.

Atlantiqve version is like a bit toned down Aqva Marine flanker, maybe a bit warmer and less loud or sharp. Not good enough to be regarded as a worthy flanker.

Advice (to self and others): albeit the "old" Aqva is now 12 years old, it still has this special vibe and does the job more than well. Long story short - I'll stick to the original Aqva (2005.) and eventually also get Amara version.

Originality: 3/10
Scent: 5/10
Longevity: 8/10
Projection: 6/10
22/40 = 55%
17th April, 2017

Dior Homme Sport (2017) by Christian Dior

Follows the same spirit of 2008. and 2012. version. The 2017. release is maybe just a bit more sugary when compared to 2008. which was more citrusy and with more prominent ginger note, whilst 2012. had a bit more leathery note in the initial spray.

Generally speaking, regardless of everything, this is still DHS, as good as it was or can get. One can't claim that this is in fact some other scent or flanker when compared to previous versions.

Originality: 5/10
Scent: 8/10
Longevity: 9/10
Projection: 8/10
30/40 = 75%
17th April, 2017

Spicebomb Eau Fraîche by Viktor & Rolf

Slightly fresher version of the original that can actually be worn casually during winter time. Unlike the original, this one might be more of a whole year rounder, however I wouldn't wear it in too warm and humid conditions. Summer wear, sure but not during hot days. Evening when temperatures drop a bit, definitely.

Originality 6/10
09th April, 2017 (last edited: 14th April, 2017)

Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci

Bold, bolder the boldest. The closest thing to Fahrenheit before reformulation. Strong and tough. Headache inducing fragrance and NOT for kids...not even for me. Terre d'Hermes in initial blast + already mentioned engine oil in the review below, yes indeed and quite pungent.

A lot of people might hate this but you have to respect it and give it a credit. So, is this a modern, contemporary scent? No. As I already mentioned, to me it's close to Fahrenheit before reformulation and oh boy do I remember hating it back in the day when I tried it for the first time...and the second, third...so on. Then came the reformulated version and I love it.

This? This is a truly remarkable beast. Do I like it? NO.
Will I wear it? NO. Will I buy it? Probably not. Do I respect it? YES!

I'll rate this positive regardless of the fact that it gives me a slight headache. One just has to give credit to this effort.

Scent 10/10 raw, pungent, animalic
Originality 7/10
09th April, 2017 (last edited: 14th April, 2017)

Boss Bottled Tonic by Hugo Boss

Nothing special. More citrusy for a minute or two in the initial blast. Later on it's just a classic Boss Bottled but fairly more airy and slightly watery.

Considering that we all know quite a lot about the old Boss Bottled, being a classic, there's nothing much to say about Tonic version as it is.

EDT : whole year, all occasions with an accent on formal wear.

Intense: spring, autumn, winter, evening - formal.

Intense Parfum: never tried, but my "educated guess" would be autumn and winter, evening - formal.

Tonic: spring, summer, day - casual, office

The winner, subjectively of course, for me is EDT because you cover all the angles with it.

Tonic rating:

Longevity 6/10
Projection 5/10
_____________________
52,5%
13th March, 2017

Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue by Versace

Follows the style of already well established frags such as Bleu de Chanel and Dior Sauvage, no question. One of simple done well frags. I wouldn't say it is a copy of any, but a style follower definitely.

Dylan Blue reminds me quite a lot of Boss In Motion Black, which I consider to be the best from the In Motion line.

Initial spray of it, 2-3 minutes I thought to myself "oh no, it's gonna be one of those reviews", however some hours later it turns out to be quite the opposite.

Perhaps it's not original or maybe elegant as Bleu de Chanel. Maybe it's not assertive or intrusive as Dior Sauvage, but it does have this certain distinctiveness in it after all.

Dylan Blue is a bit more fruity without being too sweet. Less woody than Bleu and less sharp than Sauvage. I dare say it is a well balanced fragrance albeit slightly common and nothing new.

__________________________
10th March, 2017

Uomo Intense by Valentino

DH/DHI clone, par excellence. Ok, so it's not original. Is it any good? O boy, yes it is. Thick, strong, pungent, "black".

Unlike Dior, no softness, only style and character. It can be a very good substitute for Dior, not because of price, but because of the similar story with different characters.

Good thing is, it's not syrupy sweet. It has some sharpness, dryness and some sort of powderiness that doesn't allow the sweetness go berserk and in the wrong direction.

Conclusion: if you already own any of Dior Homme line (Homme, Intense, Parfum), don't bother. If you had any of those and wish to try something similar or better yet own, go ahead, give Valentino Uomo/Valentino Uomo Intense a chance, it is well deserved.

Projection 9/10
_________________________
75%
09th January, 2017

No Limits Man by Bruno Banani

Tested this one 05. december 2016. but it wasn't in the directory back then.

Ok, so you don't get something extra special with this one, but for that price, you get gold. Typical woody-spicy, every day fragrance. Excellent for beginners, for those with a low budget, but even for those who already have experience simply for daily office usage.

No Limits Man reminded me a bit of Boss In Motion Black which I also find to be quite a good flanker of the Boss In Motion line. This type of simple-done well fragrances usually get you noticed, at least in my personal experience.

So, yeah it's a 25$ Bruno Banani, but it won't leave you cold hearted, or those around you. If nothing else, it's worth of at least trying.

Originality 05/10
Scent 06/10
Longevity 07/10
60%
02nd January, 2017

Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier

Cheeky. Quite cheeky and not all that bad. Good fragrance, but wrong marketing.

Cheeky is that they mixed a lot of old and new here. There's a pinch of Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit Absolute here, then there's a bit of Gucci PH I, and then a bit of modern spicy like YSL La Nuit de L'Homme etc. But where's Le Male? Nowhere. Name and bottle, that's it.

Had they done what they avoid for years, that is making the new line, whole idea would've been much more positive.
This type of scent belongs into a more classic bottle, darker yet warmer colour tones and not in the Le Male, blue coloured torso.

Original is original and that's that. This is a bit of synthetic, more or less sweet revitalisation of old and new poured into yet another torso among many torsos in the past 21 years of this brand.

Regardless of anything, that is my critique included, I really, really dig this stuff. Would I buy a bottle and spray myself a lot with it? No. Maybe a decant would be enough for me.

I'll rate it positively because it did hit some spot in me, stroke a chord for some reason.

Originality 6/10 - why high 6? Because it manages to resurrect some old frags to a certain degree, yet give it all some distinct, albeit synthetic and sweet character.

Scent 7/10 - I really dig it after all
28/40=70%
29th November, 2016

Brit Rhythm for Him Intense by Burberry

Sweet and uninspiring like its predecessor, however quite less irritating and atrocious. Sweet mainstream fragrance with no particular depth or character, but guess what, it works!

Previous version from 2013. was an utter chem lash on me. This one, surprisingly isn't. A great bonus is I got it utterly cheap.

Cold, disinterested, fruity, leathery and spices echoing in the distance. An effective representative of modern utilitarian approach to things.

57,5%
08th November, 2016 (last edited: 11th November, 2016)

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

EDT

What a gem. Return of investment is big indeed!
Benzoin, citruses, spices and wood very well blended.
Quite a specific, unique fragrance, not for a casual wear.
Not a macho, not a hipster. An artist definitely and that of a noble blood. Quite awesome actually.

In style it's on the trace of CK Obsession for men, but with its own character so they can't be confused at all. You might find the distant echo of Givenchy Pi here because of the strong benzoin thing going on.

I made a blind buy, but only because it was cheap. I strongly suggest people to try it before purchasing because this one is really, really not for everyone.

I myself recognise it as a very good, high quality juice, however also am not being sure if I'll be wearing it a lot. When it comes to it, I'm thinking I'll have to give it a little more time before being straight if it'll stay a part of my collection or not. For now I'm just glad I finally tried it and have it.

Originality 6/10
30/40 = 75%
05th October, 2016

L'Envol by Cartier

Like a corporate smug always checking his expensive watch while you're trying to have a conversation with him. Simply out of habit, nothing personal, a lot of work to do.

A colder, more distant and refined approach to Cerruti L'Essence de Cerruti Pour Homme. Strong leather and wood notes with honey like a little echo from the close distance. Rather utilitarian approach to things, which I generally appreciate in life, however obviously not when it comes to fragrances, or maybe just this fragrance in particular.

Cold in character and doesn't instigate emotions albeit the fact it has great quality and smells nice.

23/40=57,50%