Reviews by Zgb

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Very sharp, kind of old school and has sort of Egoiste Platinum vibe - that caustic detergent smell, clean and cut, too clean and too cut actually. Not a casual scent, for the office definitely. I have to admit that it is kind of elegant but also kind of brutt-ish (I'm not reffering to Brut cologne). All in all no finesse here, I'm usually not kind of person that will say ''old ppl or old lady smell'' but I'm on a verge of saying this for this one, and for me even being on a verge of doing this is enough.

30th March, 2011

Tokyo by Kenzo

This scent is in fact a copy of Azzaro Visit, but unlike Visit it is more citrusy, very much close to the skin and with poor longevity. I rated Visit neutral but I do respect it for it's tremendous sillage and longevity wich can be compared to Joop! Homme. Kenzo blew it with this one, though I have to admit the bottle looks very cool.

30th March, 2011

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

Rating thumb up: This scent really has some character. Dark, woody with a vibe of cherry liquorice. In notes and in group it is not a woody scent but it sure gives me a woodsy impression. There is this appealing dry sweetness that can't be ignored. This is not casual, not for the office, it is not sporty. This is for romantic occasion, it is masculine, serious, dark, deep, mystical and distinctive, somehow roughly gentle, subtle but strong, non provocative yet so noticable, somewhat brash but also elegant. Projection great for a while, longevity not as nearly good for this type of fragrance. A very good fragrance, well composed.

Edit: after few wears I came to realise how much I didn't need this in my collection, how there are much much better fragrances taht I already own, am yet to own and am yet to discover. Now I'm rating this to neutral, in year or two I just might rate it to thumb down if I'll even bother to do it as now I see this is not even worthy enough to be bashed, but simply ignored.

23 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 September, 2011)

Boss Orange Man by Hugo Boss

Ok, I have to admit that this is nothing original, nothing 'rocks my world' but I have to give it a thumb up. It is very similar to Boss Bottled and Dark Blue, an interesting mix indeed, but nothing new here.I must stress out it is very youthfull, bright and free. Brings positive emotions about. I'm not going to rush to buy it, but somehow I wouldn't mind having it. Don't know exactly why this fragrance influences me this way, positively and happy, but it simply does.

Update: I noticed this fragrance gets a lot of bashing. In my experience, the only reason for it being so bashed is only because it's Hugo Boss fragrance.

10th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2012)

Visit by Azzaro

Spicy, musky, woody. Red pepper sure hits in fast, high and strong and lingers quite much. It takes time to settle down, at least on my skin. Succsefull 25-40 urbane guy is the vibe this scent truly emits. Did it make me go <<wow>> about it? No. Is it a compliment getter or does it make you a guy that stands out from the crowd smelling this way? Yes. I'm actually glad it's part of my collection. Scent is exquisitely longlasting, projective and stylish, but I just can't give it thumbs up. There's just something elusive that doesn't let me do that.

10th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 March, 2011)

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

Not bad. In fact I kind of find it better than Code wich lacks longevity and projection on me. Although this one is slightly synthetic, I find it appealing none the less. It is to thin for winter but I bet it makes wonders during spring or maybe autumn when temperatures are just right. There is nothing >>natural<< about this scent, it is very modern, sweetly cold in its weird way. Don't know why but it reminds me of Space Guild from Frank Herberts Dune. This might be the first Armani fragrance I'll posess.

22 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2011)

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Very fresh, like a bowl full of fruits. Fresh, light, non offensive but yet it is not weak, it projects well and lasts quite a while. This scent really has some character, though I do think it could be worn by women too.

22 January, 2011

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Mandarines, oranges mixed with vanilla, benzoin to be precise. Great scent, so casual yet so elegant, open, I must say it is linear too. Really a nice classic I might posess one day.

22 January, 2011

Eau Sauvage Extrême by Christian Dior

Well it incredibly reminds of Azzaro Pour Homme.It reminds to an such extent that even I, after some experience and no longer being such a newb, could say that Sauvage Extreme is just a copy of Azzaro Pour Homme with a hint of leather and a hint too less to make it an entirely different fragrance with a soul of its own.

Now don't get me wrong, this fragrance is quite much old school high quality. Very potent, masculine, great longevity and sillage, but alas not original the one least bit.

05 January, 2011

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

Thumb down: I have a good skin, most scents last on me quite a while, even those with wich there is a general longevity problem. But this fragrance dissipated rather fast after first application and that left me baffled. Too bad. They really blew it with this one.

Edit, thumb up: damn I was wrong! This scent is in fact very projective and has a very good longevity despite the fact it is ''airy'' scent. It is perfect for spring and one can feel that distinctive Bvlgari style in this scent. It is quite elegant and not in your face kind of smell, yet it'll create quite an aura around you. Must have been that I didn't test it properly the first time I've tried it.

23 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2011)

Once Upon a Time pour Homme by Kenzo

Soft scent, has Kenzo PH vibe but they're not the same and it is a bit dark scent. Very decent and a bit spicy. I wouldn't rush to buy it, but I wouldn't discard it if I got it as a gift. Longevity is ok, projection is somewhat limited.

07 December, 2010

Boss Spirit by Hugo Boss

My friend has a little tester. It seemed great and promising when I was smelling it out of the tester, but when I put it on my skin it turned into something very heavy Fahrenheit like (I hate Fahrenheit), but tad sweeter. Although I have to admit that the scent is very unique, it doesn't appeal to me the least bit.

03 December, 2010

Azzaro pour Homme Elixir by Azzaro

This is a sweeter take of original Azzaro Pour Homme. For romantic occasions, evening, clubbing. If you own original Azzaro then I don't think it's worth to own this one as well.
    I was expecting much more, yet I can't say I'm dissapointed, BUT I can't rate it positively, I just can't. There is nothing original about this scent.

02 December, 2010

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

In initial blast it reminds me of Dior Homme a lot, but that fades fast and this becomes rather cozy, sensual, masculine, sexy scent. It is not a wild beast, don't expect great projection but you'll feel it from time to time and it'll surprise you! Longevity is around 8+ hours. Very good fragrance!

01st December, 2010

Le Male Terrible by Jean Paul Gaultier

More modern take on old Le Male. Pepper and citrus are quite a good match for the rest of the game in this. This one is great and will be liked by those who did not like old Le Male. As for me, I like the old one and it'll always be a part of my collection.

Update - did this scent rattle the cages? Not really and I'm not saying this on account here being to few reviews of it despite that enough time has passed while this juice was around. It didn't take much for me to get rid of it, albeit my review about is still positive. I don't miss it at all. What I need from this type of scent I can easily get from the original, or from YSL Body Kouros. Le Male Terrible remains unrecognized if not shunned even, it'd seem.

15 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 February, 2012)

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Thumb down: I'm dissapointed. Incredible how much actually this fragrance is more refined and upgraded version of Boss Bottled Night. This house tries to follow trends obviously, not it's nose. Let us hope it is the first and the last mistake. Citrusy scent with incense in the background and also something sharp and bitter that reeks of synthetic I'm afraid. Marketing shows a city during night, well the scent really gives this dark-ish aura but there is absolutely nothing that distinguishes this fragrance in terms &#733;I'm Chanel&#733;, no this fragrance when smelled says &#733;I'm something trendy, don't you like me?&#733; No, as a matter of fact I don't like you. If you were Davidoff, Clavin Klein or Hugo Boss I would have liked you because then it would make sense to me.

Thumb up: geez I was harsh. Zealously harsh, obviously. This scent is much better than described, though Bottled Night connection remains, Chanel Bleu sits well with me now to a point I think I might own it. Still, not a hype or anything groundbreaking, however it took me some time to come to realise that this scent has something about it that makes me wanna wear it and makes me feel good. Strange, I know. Back then I just bashed it for being uninspiring, now I see and appreciate its complexity.

09 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2012)

Bang by Marc Jacobs

This scent is all about pepper. It reminds quite much of Le Male Terrible and Azzaro Visit because of that same pepper note. There is also something green-ish about it, the rest of the basenotes are lost in this huge amount of pepper. Longevity and projection are quite satisfying but I would not rush to buy this. If got it as a gift I'd keep it for a while before passing it to someone else. I'm sure it'll find plenty of noses wich will appreciate it. I do agree it is a night out scent.

09 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th December, 2011)

Sculpture Homme by Nikos

Airy, sweet like a clean white sheet on a wind or a white greek temple with all the white sculptures in it. Diesel Plus Plus masculine is a very good copy of this fragrance.

09 October, 2010

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Such a nice citrusy, spicy, woody composition. No wonder this is a signature scent for many men out there. Very masculine, potent, elegant. A masterpiece.

25 September, 2010

Encre Noire pour Elle by Lalique

I tried this accidentally. I find it very unique but not appealing. This scent strikes me as very depressing. Reminds of graveyard, funeral in autumn, empty, dark and pristine appartment.

22 September, 2010

Chrome Sport by Azzaro

This one reminds a bit of the original, the metalic note remains but it is a bit colder. One might get an impression that this is watered down original Chrome, but it is not. If old Chrome was too strong to you, Sport version is the deal. It has a good projection and longevity for a light scent. All in all not a failure like most of new scents are these days.

17 September, 2010

Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss

What a let down. I was expecting this fragrance to be warm and sensual but it turned out to be Bvlgari Aqua rip off with a violet note. Original Boss Bottled is great and this has nothing to do with it. This one is truly for the masses.

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

Such a shame it is discontinued. Such a cinnamon gem this scent is! I was planning to own it. I hope I get lucky even though it is discontinued.

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

Very interesting, sort of coconut, creamy scent that gets attention. Diesel plus (the red flask) is cinnamon-ish and I kind of like it even more. I might add that one too to my collection. I'm quite surprised about that two.

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

Pleasant, bit seductive and luxurious, quite refined. To an extent this one shares a vibe with CH 212 for men but unlike 212 this one is a bit darker and more elegant.

I tested it again and oh boy I liked it even more. It's not that impressive, but this certain whisky undertone, somewhat overall woody - boozy scent is that I find amusing and attention worthy. Longevity is more than good, projection too. It is quite elegant and exclusively for autumn or winter wear with proper attire as there is nothing casual about this scent.

16 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 May, 2012)

Baldessarini Del Mar Marbella by Baldessarini

This one is a keeper. Great scent for any season. Very masculine, yet quite casual. One of underrated ones that is lost in the mass of oversaturated market.

16 August, 2010

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

Casual, mature, sophisticated. Scent that emulates sea, coast, sea shells. I see many negative reviews here. Mayhaps most of reviewers were would prefer Marbella edition of the scent, wich I myself consider an upgrade of this one.

16 August, 2010

L'Essence de Cerutti by Cerruti

Elegant, masculine, serious leather scent. Worn by men that are unflappable achievers. This creation is probably the best from this house.

L'essence de Cerruti Pour Homme shares the vibe with L'instant de Guerlain Pour Homme and Baldessarini Cologne, however is not a copy of former mentioned and offers the same quality that Guerlain offers + is more long lasting than Baldessarini. Most of all it's incredible how cheap Cerruti is, cheap in price but only in price and not cheap in any other sense. I'm puzzled that this scent is not more known or talked about more. Quite off the radar which is a shame.

15 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2012)

Allure Homme by Chanel

Beautiful, spicy, sweet, elegant and so well rounded! A masterpiece of a scent with good longevity and sillage. This is a classic anyone should try and own at least once in a lifetime.

12 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2012)

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

Incredible, I can't believe this is a Boss scent. Masculine smell of honey with spicy/woody touch to it. This scent is very elegant. For the office or even romantic occasion. Longevity and sillage are very good. Definitely thumb up!

08 August, 2010