Reviews by Zgb

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Magic Man by Bruno Banani

Sweet and spicy but in a bit a cold way. There is quite a similarity, or connection, to be precise, wit Diesel only the brave. All in all quite youthfull night out fragrance that is not bad at all and doesn't lack quality in terms of projection or longevity.

03rd August, 2012

Black by Kenneth Cole

Ok, I'll be short about this one. Black? What's "Black" about this unimaginative citrusy with tad bit coffee junk of a perfume? "Black" is its name and the bottle. The scent itself is bland and forgettable.

02nd August, 2012

1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

Classic that falls into Kouros category but with less animality and tad bit more formality, a milder approach let's say. Quite creamy and I really like the pine note in it. Incredible as it may sound to you, but this scent reminds me of former Yugoslavia in summer and a sea resort. I was just a little child then, but despite that, I remember those times, that feeling.
    Nobody talks about Cerruti 1881 Man and I think that's just wrong. This perfume deserves to be mentioned much more. Thumbs up!

02nd August, 2012

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

Faceless, metallic, repulsively cold and sour. I can't imagine a person that'd be drawn to it.

Projection and longevity are ok, but who cares as I really wouldn't want to smell like this for too long...at all actually.

27th July, 2012

Brit Summer Edition for Men by Burberry

A good quality fragrance that causes pleasant feelings, but it's too similar to the original and New Year edition 2010 (which is still not in the directory). All in all, Brit Summer for men is not so much "summer" in my opinion. It's still heavy enough to blend well in autumn and winter. If this is for summer, so is the original.

I'm rating this one neutral only because I don't see this as a summer fragrance and because it's way too similar to the original, albeit the fact that I actually really, really like this fragrance.

Update 22.05.2014. - yesterday 21.05.2014. I've tried it again after almost two years. I have to admit I like it, however it is a bit too rose-y and quite feminine. Regardless of that, I like it, but my neutral rating will have to remain. Potency is immense as it projects wildly and very, very sweet to a point it can be cloying, thus quite not for the summer at ll. Longevity is also exquisite, 12+ hours on my skin.

26th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 22nd May, 2014)

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I was quite baffled at first but then it really hit me. Quite much of the original there but yet Aqua version has toned it down in a very positive way. We're not talking about typical aqua here, yet there is distinct specific water note emmited by violet, I think. It's a very smooth fragrance. I like to compare this fragrance to Boss Elements Aqua due to it's smoothness and style. All in all it'll be a nice catch for me.

12th May, 2012

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

Synthetic and cold in charaachter but I think it's fabulous. Very contemporary and free, there is sort of unique vibe about it and it's not overworn at all. I don't like the bottle even though it fits the fragrance wich I, ironically, like! Longevity and projection are great. I understand why this might be tad bit off putting to people, and it's amber note is very strong and I agree quite synthetic, but I can't help it, I just like this juice and that's that.

12th May, 2012

Hugo Just Different by Hugo Boss

Ok, not bad, who liked the original will also like this one or even more. Scent itself is quite good however its projection is so pathetic and I can't forgive this. The touch of the original is present, but the originals projection and longevity are also great unlike this version wich smells actually better than the original. All in all, in a sense of smell it's not a fail, but in a sense of projection and longevity it fails completely.

08th May, 2012

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

In a way it reminds me a bit of Gucci Envy For Men. Quite an interesting juice that I just might give a chance in the future. I was expecting it to be a fail for certain, not that I'm mesmerised, but it is sort of chic and its longevity and projection are somewhat better than with the original version. I wouldn't wear this one on a very hot day, rather in spring, autumn and winter. In any case, thumbs up.

08th May, 2012

Baldessarini Concentrée by Baldessarini

Unfortunately the only thing I remember about it that in style it reminds me a lot of Boss Bottled, but with more charachter, serious and more refined. Nowadays it's nowhere to be found as supposedly Baldessarini line is being shut down. All in all a fragrance worthy of not just trying but possessing too.

04th May, 2012 (Last Edited: 22nd July, 2012)

L'Eau par Kenzo Wild Edition pour Homme by Kenzo

Very casual and free. Nothing special about it, though. Longevity and projection are average. Can't see this one worn but on a sunny, warm day with shirt wide open. It's quite airy but not typically fresh. Sure there are better frags out there, this one is worth a try non the less. I got it quite cheap, otherwise I wouldn't own it.

30th April, 2012

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

Fruity, cold-ish but not in an uninviting way. Free, conservative but not uptight at all. In other words it's quite classy but also very casual at the same time and it seems that Hermes does make them almost all that way. It is very refined and rounded, not a single note is "screaming". Spring and summer day scent with a style and charachter.

28th April, 2012

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

In Cool Water style but somewhat "greener" and more "acrid". By saying adjectives green and acrid, I'm not being negative. This scent is conservative and formal. There is nothing sexy or excessive (XS=sex and excess) about this scent, even in terms of time when this scent was created and popular. Good quality scent, recognizable, and I think that it would suit me well considering the fact that women like this sort of fragrances on me. These are the times when the sweet juices are sold, and gosh this is not a sweet juice...not one bit. That is one of the reasons I'll add this one to my collection, not with a rushing pace, though.

14th April, 2012

Potion by Dsquared2

On my skin, in first wave, it emulates like a cold, sweet walnut liquer but quickly starts to remind me of Gucci PH I, but only in a sense of style. Despite reminding me of Gucci PH I, it is retaining this cold sweetness wich separates it from Gucci PH I. After hour or two it returns back to the top notes while GPH I parts are left only in traces. With all that the scent is a bit "smoky", sweetly honey like (although no honey notes in it), projecting quite strong. It's a good quality scent but all in all it's not my cup of tea.

L'Homme Libre by Yves Saint Laurent

Very nice tropic like warm, watery with tad bit of fruit all in a seashell scent. The original is felt in the background but at the same time there is Chanel Bleu connection about this version, and not a bad one indeed. Incredibly nice balance between being warm and inviting, yet being somehow sharp and fresh. Sexy and free, totally non formal but with a style. Its only flaw is in the sense of marketing - it's a flanker and mostly it'll be regarded by many only on that account.

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

I didn't expect it to become a hype on Basenotes but even less have I expected it to be quite bashed from the start. Allure homme sport extreme is tad bit gourmand scent, not so casual, yet almost formal and not sporty whatsoever. In a sense of a style it reminds me of JPG Le Male a lot, I'm stressing out the word - style - not the smell itself. Creamy, soft, elegant, sexy and inviting scent. It made quite a positive impact on me. Now, I know this sounds crazy, but I think that Allure Homme Sport and its extreme version are worthy of owning both at the same time as extreme is more romantic, smoother and more gentle, the previous version has more emphasis on masculinity, sharpness yet retaining elements of class and smoothness and is louder in a bit different way. In my opinion Chanel didn't blow it with this, maybe only in a sense that this scent is a flanker whilst it has enough of a character of its own that it should be regarded not as flanker, but a scent for itself.

Cool Water Pure Pacific by Davidoff

Tad bit sweeter, yet retaining the character of the original. I usually don't have the tendency to try Cool Water flankers as there are too many of them, thus Cool Water being tastestly overflankered. This however was a pleasant surprise to me to an extent I'm even considering to own it. Longevity and projection are great.

29th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 14th April, 2012)

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

In initial blast - atroucious and cheap. It quiets down to dry, warm, spicy wood mixed with apple. Becomes almost interesting, chic yet causal, free spirited and warm, but then again it has nothing that would make me want it.

29th March, 2012

Dangerous Man by Bruno Banani

Rather sharp, zesty and even leathery (though no leather notes) fragrance that tries to copy Fahrenheit in style without copying Fahrenheit per se. Wether it succeeded or not is rather subjective, however I wouldn't throw rocks on this one, not at all. What I was expecting from this fragrance was that it'd be sweet. It turned out it's rather dry, sharp and somewhat bitter. I'd even give this one a thumb up, the reason I'm not is simple - albeit the fact that it did leave certain impression and it's longevity and projection are quite satisfying, there's nothing about it that was motivating or inspiring to me. Nice try though.

13th March, 2012

Brit by Burberry

Very strong, powdery and floral but not suffocating or heavy. Very smouldering and bracing. Quite a sophisticated womans scent and I can't imagine a teenage brat wearing this. Woman that takes care of herself and with a dose of formality. I find this scent to be quite floral and almond like, albeit the notes list does not appear to be floral whatsoever. This scent made me appreaciate Burberry Brit For Men a bit more and I find it to be quite complementary with this scent. The reason I'm commenting this scent is because I've mingled with a girl who wore it and the thing stuck on my skin and coat. Longevity and projection are outstanding. All in all, I hope she wears it next time I meet her.

05th March, 2012

Absolue Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I can't stand this vile, atrocious thick attack of rose, honey and benzoin. It is so heavy, so thick, so overpowering that it actually wears the wearer and not the other way around. This scent, if it must be worn, should be worn during very cold weather, if possible very much below freezing levels. I do see this as a niche fragrance and I see it as a very daring scent, but for the love of God just keep this far away from me...I think minimum 10 km is enough for me not to feel someone wearing it.

14th January, 2012

Aventus by Creed

Not that I won't mayhaps change my opinion or even own it in the future, but this scent incredibly reminds me of Emporio Armani Him. In a way lighter, sweeter version, but non the less refined, lets say and tad bit sweeter. There is nothing about Aventus that would make me glorify this scent the way it's being glorified on this site in general. Would I recognise it as a niche in general? No. Is this some magic potion that came from the sky? No. Is this a good quality scent that didn't rock my world? Yes. I could name a dozen if not couple of dozen of designers scent that, if they don't actually "rock my world" have a good potential to do so. One other thing, it seems that Aventus is a great compliment getter, at least it is claimed to be by many here, and it also seems it's worn by the crowd exclusively on account of getting compliments and being noticed and not for the personal enjoyment in the scent per se. A very nice fragrance, all in all, and I do see a lot of potential here. Rushing to own it, however, will not happen in my case. I'll take my time.

06th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 26th September, 2012)

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The significant difference between this one and it's flanker La Nuit is that La Nuit has great projection and longevity, whilst this one doesn't. It turned out to be quite shy on my skin, I'd rate it thumb up if it weren't so.

25th December, 2011

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Very similar to Gucci Pour Homme 1 (2003.) and Juicy Couture Dirty English. It projects more and lasts longer than Gucci PH I, so it is a good alternative to it as Gucci PH I and Dirty English are discontinued fragrances. What's there to say about this juice? Incense, spice and warm wood. Women will appreciate it as they're bombarded with sweet scents or overly citrus scents by men all the time. All in all, sometimes copycats are not such a bad idea after all, au contraire.

25th December, 2011

Kenzo Pour Homme Boisée / Woody by Kenzo

The moment I've tried it I was captivated by it. So fresh and lively, yet cold in character. Unique, as Kenzo does make them that way. Do not be fooled by this one, fresh as it is, there is a great ammount of thickness, heaviness. It will project and it will last, it is not all that casual. I'm not saying this is a very formal fragrance, but it's not a kiddy or a teenage scent, that's for sure. Thumbs up.

24th December, 2011

Zara Man by Zara

I got this one as a birthday present from a friend working at Zara. This fragrance is a weird cross of Bvlgari Aqua Marine and Dior Homme Sport and this way mixed, in style it reminds a bit of CK Truth for men. Scent itself is fresh, longlasting and not that all cheap smelling. Alberto Morrilas is a man who designed some of the worlds famous fragrances, so that explains why Zara Man (word "limited" is written on the green bottle), even though not original at all, actually smells good and can pass to a stranger as a fragrance of more profound designer name such as Boss, Davidoff, Bvlgari or even Gucci these days after their new line gucci by gucci, g by g sport, guilty, guilty intense as they turned their backs to Gucci Envy For Men, Gucci PH I and other older scents that made a name Gucci a respectable one. Now, back to the fragrance - longevity is 6-8 hours, projection somewhat better than medium and noone will think that you're wearing something cheap or obscure, at least by my personal experience.

Update: I know I was on to something. Guy that created Acqua di Gio for men, created this one as well as Zara Man is a complete copy of the mentioned. I personally believe this was done on demand of the Zara house.

29th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th December, 2011)

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

I feel quite much of plum in this scent, and I adore the smell of plums in fragrances. Incense doesn't dominate at all, it is hardly felt, at least on my skin. It is not a loud scent, yet quite present and elegant too, I do agree it is formal. To an extent it could be comparable with Xeryus Rouge in sense of style as they both share this fruity vibe, XR being less warm. This fragrance deserves more attention than it gets, and on this site it gets none unfortunately.

18th October, 2011

Chopard pour Homme by Chopard

Nothing new, but the style and a scent women tend to appreciate, at least in my enviroment. Spicy with some nice hint of wood it reminds me of Cerruti Pour Homme (wich I like more as it is a bit more intense) quite much. Innofensive, relatively fresh scent for the office and maybe a date too, as I regard this type of scent as innofensively stylish.

15th October, 2011

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Such a shame for the longevity of this scent. Orange and orange leaves, dry but not dry to an extent that they've turned brown, scent I'd buy instantly if it'd last for more than 2 hours. I do know where I'll get my dryness and ornages, it's well known Terre d'Hermes.

I'm rating this neutral not on part of projection, but on part of longevity.

03rd September, 2011

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

Even though not very original, highly appealing. When I'm mentioning originality I'm actually referring to Hugo Boss No 6 aka Bottled. There is something, though, that slightly detaches it from Boss Bottled but not to an extent to own it if Boss Bottled is already owned. This type of fragrance is for a charismatic, elegant, self assured man and might be a part of my collection once my bottle of Boss no6 gets drained completely. Thumb up from me with this slight hope that Davidoff maybe, just maybe "has it".

24th August, 2011