Reviews by Zgb

Joop! Homme Extreme by Joop!

Like some sort of a mainstream rock band that's still searching/exploring itself.

Dull, boring, sweet and overpowering.

Notes are black cococa? Where? I don't sense it. Hot skin note? Nope, not here. Patchouli? Maybe, just maybe.
A lot of sickening, sweetened chemicals? Definitely.

I still appreciate the original. When mildly applied, the original can make wonders even today.

Extremely boring and irritating.

Originality - 4/10
Scent - 5/10
21st January, 2016

CH Men Privé by Carolina Herrera

Excellent scent, but why neutral rating? It's a shameless copy of Dior Fahrenheit EDP. To make things even worse in a funny way, YSL La Nuit de L'Homme L'Intense smells as exactly the same as well.

So basically we get two completely the same scents under different brands and names, that copy Dior Fahrenheit EDP.
I'd say pretty much that's insulting. Now, I did rate YSL La Nuit de L'Homme L'Intense positively, regardless of the fact that it's a shameless copy. I can not and will not rate CH Men Prive positively albeit the fact that it smells completely the same as YSL and Dior F.EDP, in other words it smells nice and classy.

The third frag that'll smell like this will get a negative review only on that basis, that it smells exactly the same. Because really, could there a third one, excluding Fahrenheit EDP which was the first? How things are going, there'll be a lot of them, hell, why not exactly the same by Gucci? It's name should be "Exactly the same Pour Homme".

Originality - 0/10 I think I said it all
Scent - 8/10 it smells good
Longevity - 8/10 it lasts
Projection - 7/10 solid projection
18th December, 2015

Lalique White by Lalique

Nihil nuovo sub sole, but it is stylish, decent and there's even some hidden complexity in it. Fresh, clean, white, less heavy than Fahrenheit 32. It'll give most in the spring, when temperatures are mild, neither too cold or too hot.

Nice scent for the office or walk in the park, forest etc.

I'll rate it positive/thumb up simply because I like it and I'm biased.

14th December, 2015

Luna Rossa Sport by Prada

Spin off ala JPG Le Male, a bit of YSL Body Kouros, and in the end a bit of Givenchy Pi. Whatever you might think about that from this perspective, it gets the job done and that's it.

Basically, you're not interested in something new or different. You just want to smell good without and not too much philosophy, this is for you.

I'll rate it neutral albeit the fact that I like it. It's way too similar to fragrances already mentioned in this review, and lets get real, smelling like that and calling it "Sport"?

14th December, 2015

Hommage à L'Homme Voyageur by Lalique

Very elegant, formal and serious. It's foundation is based on the Encre Noire with a nice pinch of idea of Burberry London. Result, something quite unique.

Highly accentuated vetiver and moss note. Moss in nature is not something that people in general give high regards to, however with this fragrance, moss gets a different dimension.

Sharp, zesty, tonic, cold and balanced, centered and positively dark.

If you're thinking about wearing this as your signature, it requires formal attire. Clubbing? No. Dating? Only when girl/woman got to know you a bit better. It's not a line opener as it takes experience and taste for it to be appreciated. Time of year? Autumn, winter, early spring.

Originality 7/10

07th December, 2015

La Nuit de L'Homme L'Intense by Yves Saint Laurent

Quite a shameless rip off of Dior Fahrenheit EDP. There is a pinch of La Nuit EDT in it, however domination of Fahrenheit EDP or even F. Absolute is too strong.

So, is it bad? No. It lasts, it's strong. Is it original? Of course not. If you already tried Fahrenheit EDP, Absolute, own both or either of the two, La Nuit Intense will be quite redundant. Is there any quality here? Yes, it's still YSL.

If you're 25+ and want to smell nice for clubbing, dating, walk in the park with your girlfriend, casual night out - this is your scent. I wouldn't really wear it in the office, or if I would - I'd spray rather sparingly.

I have to admit, it instigates emotions regardless of the fact that it's a rip off.

I'll rate it positive albeit I was on a verge of rating it neutral.

Scent 8/10 - it's really good
Originality 0/10 - shameless copy
Longevity 8/10 - quality of ingredients is there
Projection 7/10 - rather solid
12th November, 2015 (last edited: 08th December, 2015)

CH Men Africa by Carolina Herrera

I tested it 31.03.2015. and this is a filtered/shortened review I made on another site. At that time this scent was not in the Basenotes directory so review here is a "bit" late.

Creamy, bit more green approach to the original but also a classic D&G Pour Homme. Not weak. Small echo of Chic For Men is also present. Originality none, quality quite some.

Is it a modern scent? Well if you take into consideration the old and "new" reformulated D&G PH, then the answer is obivous - no.

Is this a good scent? Well I'd say it is, but call it "Africa"? I don't know really. Packaging is sort of cool
if you're into that.

Overall impression: flanker of a flanker of a flanker and nothing new whatsoever, but also it's quite well done.

I think it'll have its supporters, but my opinion is that the original version did the job quite well from the start, thus making this "Africa" version redundant.

Originality 0/10
Scent 8/10 (it's still a good scent)
23rd October, 2015

Baldessarini Ultimate by Baldessarini

Very good, I have to admit, really but really good scent.
On the trail of Serge Noire, in style and character. In designer world there is a serious lack of scents like this.

Baldessarini Ultimate is very formal and requires a bit of a dress code as well. For the office, formal meeting etc. Dating? Not at first, at least not until a person gets to know you a bit more because it's too formal albeit the fact it's modern as well. You don't want to smell on a date in fashion that you also might be holding data statistics and market analysis in your hands.

Further on, this is a true spicy oriental fragrance with accent on "spice". Very bright, smart, decent, mature, corporate, modern with a twist of classic!
This scent justifies the Baldessarini motto : "separates the men from the boys"

Originality: 7/10
Scent: 8/10
Longevity: 8/10
Projection: 7/10
________________________
30/40=75%
21st October, 2015

A*Men Pure Malt: Liqueur de Parfum by Thierry Mugler

Although I do agree that this version is just a tad bit more refined, I also must stress out that this is basically the same fragrance, discontinued for a reason. Ok, that was a little harsh and maybe cynical, but bear with me. Straight in the opening there is a slight, noticeable difference that quickly dissipates to pretty much same old Pure Malt. That's not over, though. Alcohol note is slightly toned down in this flanker, giving the fruits, spices and wood a bit more freedom of expression, sort to speak. Still it can't be denied that the difference is too subtle, albeit apparent, to be recognised when smelled up close and none when smelled from afar.

If you're a collector or simply love Pure Malt in general, then you won't be sorry for having this one. From the point of view of the first, you have them all in the collection, from the point of view of the second, you basically have a reserve bottle.

Scent 10/10 (it's still Pure Malt basically, so it's perfect)
Originality 5/10 (had it not been discontinued it'd be 0/10)
02nd October, 2015

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Deeper, richer and more dense than the EDT. Is it better though? EDT has its own charm and merits. EDT is more sharp and brash and that's what I actually like about it.

EDP is more of a gentleman when compared to the EDT.
Are they both great? Depends. They're generics, simple fragrances done well. That's actually ok!

Are they both worthy of collecting? Yes, absolutely. Still I prefer EDT but just for a margin.

25th September, 2015

Boss The Scent by Hugo Boss

Sweet wannabe. At first it's a sweet wannabe combo of Chanel Allure / CK Obsession for men / L'Essence de Cerruti, but only at first.

In the middle and dry down it's just a synthetic, loud, fruity fragrance with no style or character whatsoever.

If you're a beginner, just want to smell in the office, school, college, on the street or whatever, or you just need an average "crowd pleaser", then this is ok. Otherwise, skip it.

Originality 3/10
22nd September, 2015

Armani Eau de Cèdre by Giorgio Armani

Old school, new age. Office scent, not too casual, but also not that you must follow some dress code, just don't look shabby or sporty or both while you wear Eau de Cedre.

In style of Paco. R. Pour Homme, Azzaro Pour Homme etc. Eau de Cedre doesn't smell the same as the former mentioned, albeit it's not so unique and distinctive as well. That doesn't matter as it takes a bit of a guts, I guess, to make such an old school frag with an old school vibe in 2015. It's not bland and it has character in my opinion. Requires tad bit of maturity of the wearer.

Very pleasant for the wearer and the environment as it'll not suffocate everyone, yet it'll be noticed.

Originality 7/10 - only because it's 2015. and they are trying to re-market this type of fragrance.
Projection 7/10
15th September, 2015 (last edited: 21st September, 2015)

Sauvage by Christian Dior

This will be one of the shorter reviews.

Boss Bottled Night meets Gucci Guilty/Guilty Black/Guilty Intense. For the masses and so much not Dior.

Well, it finally happened to Dior. Following the mass market demand. I can't say I blame them, man needs to make a living.

One thing I have to admit, people will love it on you and it's a "grower".

15th September, 2015

Gentlemen Only Casual Chic by Givenchy

This version follows the original. More airy, less dense, however not any less potent. Combination of retro + modern.

Regardless, is it any good? Well yes it is, but also kind of boring and uninspiring.

You can get much more for less money.

Scent 6/10
Longevity 6/10
__________________
22/40 = 55%
27th August, 2015 (last edited: 15th September, 2015)

Brit Splash for Him by Burberry

What a spin off of AdG. Not a very good spin off at that as there already are plenty of spin offs. Better spin offs than Brit Splash. This is not even an attempt to make something. Bland, boring, unoriginal, uninspiring.

Longevity 3/10
Projection 3/10
______________________

11/40 = 27,5%
27th August, 2015

Sun Men by Jil Sander

I agree with some comments here, being fresh yet warm and somehow balsamic like sun tan lotions. I can easily picture summer on the beach but also a city or a town on Croatian coast during hot days, evenings too. Has this floral touch to it that pushes it towards feminine side. I think it can easily pass as an unisex fragrance, albeit a certain masculine note can't be denied.

Originality 6/10
____________________
28/40 = 70%
06th August, 2015

Fan di Fendi pour Homme by Fendi

I can't believe I forgot to write a review about that one. I did write one though, on the Croatian counterpart of Fragrantica, 13.06.2013. so I'll basically rewrite it here in English, however not in a complete detail.

So, Fendi huh? A bit retro in the initial wave, very spicy and in style quite close between Burberry London (minus boozy, port wine feel) and Moschino Forever. More emphasys on Moschino Forever.

Spices and leather notes are rather neatly combined and that makes Fendi smell quite refined. Can't say exactly when to wear it. It has some depth and weight so it can be worn during colder days, yet again it so uninvasive and sort of light at the same time so it's very wearable during warm periods. Warm and thick, however also gentle and mild, but not weak. Very urban, both formal and casual.

Too bad it's discontinued so soon along with flankers.

28th July, 2015

Paco by Paco Rabanne

Rather good. Unisex? There are more feminine fragrances out there, marketed as frags for guys. Paco is not bad at all. I can sense some quality here, however also it's quite contemporary, that is congruent with time when it was made. By that I'm not insinuating it's old fashioned. There's character here, it's not bland. Fresh but also not light, there's heaviness here. Green, sweet but in a subtle manner, with emphasized citrus notes. Smooth, not sharp.
Not unique but definitely it is distinctive.

___________________
30/40 = 75%
26th July, 2015

Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani

Being realistic, it has quality and zero originality. Put between the original version and Essenza version from 2012. which is a nice upgrade of the original, Profumo is quite redundant I'm afraid.

Not to be to harsh in judgment, Profumo is rather deep and intense, yet rather decent/dignified and "serious". I strongly believe that it can gain more love and attention after a while which is quite a bonus. I'm saying this because at first I was very reserved about it, now I can see this certain distinctivness in it, albeit mostly retaining the character and style of the original.

So in the end is it really redundant? Only if you already own the original or Essenza or both. If you owned those before, but no more, Profumo is your next best pal.

__________________

27/40=67,5%
10th July, 2015

L'Homme Idéal Cologne by Guerlain

Not quite inovative, but not all that bad altogether. It has this weird vibe, like an idea of Dior Homme Sport or Dior Homme Cologne and Chanel Allure Edition Blanche, however yet, Guerlain Ideal Cologne is neither of the mentioned. The fact that it is not original remains, though.

Quality is here, and Ideal Cologne is quite mainstream but that didn't go the wrong way, the way it happened to other houses, for instance Gucci with its Guilty line and some other.

Overall, Guerlain Ideal Cologne is a good fragrance. Not excellent, not original, not exquisite or special, but simply good or "mainstream done well" if you like it.

10th July, 2015

Kouros Silver by Yves Saint Laurent

Bad. Very bad. Saying it's an utter rubbish wouldn't be too harsh.

This an YSL fragrance? Worse yet, a counterpart to original Kouros and Body Kouros? I can't even begin to accept this.

Very disappointing. Reminds me a bit of YSL L'Homme EDP, but a bit more dirty. L'Homme EDP was also disappointing but nowhere near as Kouros Silver is. Such a shame for YSL.

Scent 1/10
10th June, 2015

Déclaration by Cartier

Well, well, well what do we have here? Terre d'Hermes before Terre d'Hermes and a damn good one, just as much as Terre. Declaration is maybe even more thick than Terre d'Hermes, dare I say. Exquisite for sunny days, be they warm or cold. For the office, formal meetings and occasions, I'd think twice about wearing it for a date, well at least first 3 dates.

Overall - excellent!

Originality 8/10
10th June, 2015

Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Objectively: pumped up one in instance, in its core in a way. Strictly looking, or sniffing, with a cold, reasonable head - a worthy successor.

Subjectively: way too sweet, sweeter than the original, toned to a bit darker colour not just of the bottle, but scent also in a way. Overall quite redundant when put side by side with the original.

Good idea and good performance however wrong time. There is still the original and the original still smells damn good. There are also a lot of, for better or worse, copies of the original under different brands and names - by this I don't mean fakes but simply other fragrances.

If you have the original, at least try Ultra Male, I doubt it'll impress you to a level that you'd buy a full bottle. If you had the original Le Male and still would like to again, try Ultra Male for it is Le Male with a twist.

There is one very good light spot that forces me to rate this fragrance positively - the dry down. Dry down is that awesome to me, at least on my skin, that I'd actually buy it and wear it just because of it.

Projection 9/10
04th June, 2015

A*Men Ultra Zest by Thierry Mugler

I'm rating it positive for a very thin margin. I figured, what the heck, I rated A*Men Pure Leather positive on the similar terms, why not Ultra Zest then.

Ultra indeed, but Zest? Too strong, too potent and too much not fresh for the summer. It is way similar to Pure Malt. Is Ultra Zest the same as Pure Malt? NO! BUT, very similar in style yes.

Orange box, orange bottle - representing all the summer glory and does it actually succeed? Subjectively - NO, maybe yes for others. Objectively - NO.

Is there all the orange and tangerine here? Well actually there is. How then it reminds of Pure Malt? It simply does.
This scent will give its most, ironically, in winter and not in summer. Especially not in hot summer days. In the end, the only fresh scent from the Pure line is Pure Shot/Energy whatever you might think of it.

I was expecting this fragrance to be dense, sweet and maybe even overbearing and it happened. What I wished Ultra Zest to be? Fresh in a certain unique fashion, but not in a Pure Shot/Energy way. So I got what I expected and not what I was hoping for.

Do not be fooled by the colour of the box and the bottle. It isn't fresh, it's marketed as such. It is a strong oriental that'll give a lot in winter and maybe during summer nights when applied sparingly. If you're not the fan of the line or a collector, you might find Ultra Zest an interesting blend and like it. If you like the line, its idea and are a collector, you might be a bit disappointed by Ultra Zest, like me.

Overall conclusion is - it is not a bad fragrance and it'll most definitely get you compliments. It is very potent, with great longevity and projection.

So, reading my review someone might say I should've rated it neutral at best, and I mean at best. Well, I'm rating it positive regardless. I think the more time will pass, the more crowd will give it some more or less merit and myself will get to appreciate it more in time, also be glad that as a collector of the line it stands with the rest of A*Men flankers.

Originality: 4/10
Fragrance: 8/10
Longevity: 9/10
Projection: 8/10
03rd June, 2015

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

09.06.2010. tried it casually and wrote a short review on Croatian counterpart of Fragrantica. Although I no longer remember it clearly, I do remember some things. First of all I remember a certain sharpness, however not rough on the edges. It didn't really remind me of the original Cool Water, but it was in that style range, also character. Not a bad scent, in fact from personal experience such scents work really well with the environment, especially when it comes to the female gender. CW Deep is not a great creation, nothing revolutionary, it is deep in the sea of not just flankers but other similar fragrances from other houses, but by the name of reason or some higher entity - CW Deep does work, gets the job done whatever you might think or feel about it. (worn/tried 1st. time 09. june 2010.)
02nd May, 2015

Coromandel by Chanel

I tried this 09.12.2013. accidentally. I met with a friend who was "moving" a girl, oops - a woman to be precise, a complicated story so I won't go into details, and he met her that day, he got hooked for the scent so she gave him 2/3 spent bottle. Anyway, I met him and I noticed he's fiddling with something in his pocket, he took it out and I just had to spray it on in the middle of the street.

Coromandel may be marketed as a fragrance for women, but it could have been for men, or unisex at best and it still wouldn't matter as this fragrance is such a lovely creation, not very versatile though, that anyone who has the taste for style and knows how to wear it, be it a he or she, will pull it off successfully.

Now how does it smell? Think Thierry Mugler Angel and A*Men. The idea, the DNA string of it is definitely there. Chocolate, woods, spices well mixed together, refined. Coromandel is smouldering, embracing, but also firm and strong in character. Earthy, spicy, eatable, neither dark or light. A wonderful creation not for everyday wear unless you have an occasion every day. Coromandel is truly a magnificent perfume force to be reckoned with.

(worn/tried 1st. time 09. dec. 2013.)
02nd May, 2015

Boss Bottled Intense by Hugo Boss

So, the reason I'm rating this thumb up is that it's a good juice. Why I'd rate neutral or maybe even thumb down? It's the same juice like the EDT, only a little deeper colour of juice in the bottle.

But before we go all bash-bash on it, Boss Bottled Intense IS a bit more dense and refined than the EDT, at least to a bit more experienced nose. Albeit myself being somewhat experienced after years of sniffing and collecting, the difference is not that big between the EDT and Intense version that I would buy the Intense version.

Intense version is quite more soft and more woody than the original version, however not louder or more potent. In fact I dare say that the old 1998. EDT projects more although it doesn't outlast the Intense version.

All in all, great but same juice with just a little twist. I think that there'll be people who'll find something quite more in this than me. As for myself, already owning the original EDT version, I see no need to complement it with the Intense version, but would buy this one after finishing the bottle of the 1st version.

Projection 7/10
12th April, 2015 (last edited: 16th April, 2015)

Azzaro Club Men by Azzaro

Ha! Classic to a degree that it couldn't be more! Think Denim Black, Azzaro Silver Black, Emporio Armani Lui. There is a bit of tea-ish hint derived from Bvlgari PH Soir. It is a bit synthetic but what isn't these days anyway.

Nothing original, nothing ingenious but I have to give it some credit though. Barely worn, even less talked about, or even mentioned. It's quite a bit of a retro type of scent, very versatile, relatively potent but not invasive. If people would give it a chance, it'd be noticed quite a bit, however still wouldn't be talked off - well at least not a lot. I just can't bash it. I'll give a thumb up regardless it'll probably never end up as part of my collection - but then again one never knows.
31st March, 2015

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme Intenso by Dolce & Gabbana

Elements of the original are present, but Intenso is sweetened and less sharp. Bitterness of the original echoes out, however subdued by a light sheet of artificial sweeteners. Soapy like the original too, but no so loud or powerful.

Intenso is a bit more contemporary approach to the original and does not lose the old principle of manliness, but tries to tone it down and make it more contemporary.

Further on, albeit more contemporary, it is still not a scent for a younger crowd even though the fragrance contains elements of new lines of old houses, for instance Gucci Guilty line and so on.

Creator wanted to make Intenso a bit more dark than the original and in a strange way that is truly achieved. Regardless of that, except for the cool bottle and name which makes it a success from the instance of marketing, Intenso is from the instance of how it actually radiates as a scent, when compared to the original, completely lacking in character and an overall idea.

In essence, what is in fact Intesno Pour Homme? Less sharp, sweetened and toned down original.

I can't exactly, even though it seems I bashed it, give it thumb down rating due to the fact I find it to be sort of very pleasant despite all obvious flaws. I'll rate it neutral.

Originality 3/10
Scent 6/10
Projection 6/10
18th March, 2015 (last edited: 27th March, 2015)

Moschino Forever Sailing by Moschino

A great surprise to me. Indeed it's your regular freshie in the sea of many alike, in this case tad bit similar to Bvlgari Aqua Marine, yet character of its own. Mint note here is almost invasive, very strong, but to me it's also incredibly pleasant and refined - I bet most people won't agree with me with the word refined, though. So mint it is, what else? Patchouli gives it some structure but is a bit lost in that screaming mint note. If you like fresh, and I mean really fresh, this is for you. I know it is for me. (tried/worn 07.09.2013.)
28th January, 2015