Reviews by WillC

WillC's avatar
    WillC

Morning Blossom by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

I went on a bit of a neroli mission before I eventually settled on this one. I tried C&S Neroli, Penhaligon’s Castile, SMN Zagara, Profumum’s Neroli and PDN’s Cologne Sologne, and Morning Blossom trumped them all. I think it’s maybe the quality of the natural ingredients which really brings the fragrance to life -– almost in a 3-D way, as I’ve read Hirch Duckfinder commenting on La Via del Profumo fragrances in general – I can almost feel it wafting up from my skin, twisting and turning in the air in front of me. Morning Blossom is also quite aptly named, since longevity is around 4-5 hours, so if you apply it in the morning, it’ll be gone by the afternoon.

Overall, an absolutely outstanding citrus fragrance, which seems to demand a perfect summer day to accompany it.

08 March, 2010

Tabac by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

A deliciously comfortable masculine” (cf. Luca Turin) is a brilliant encapsulation of this fantastic fragrance. You might look at this description in the following way: “deliciously” referring to the slightly gourmandish aspects of the fragrance – most obviously gingerbread-like (as with Feuilles de Tabac – which Tabac, in my view, comfortably outclasses), although sometimes I seem to catch a faint whiff of something a bit like cocoa in the top notes. “Comfortable” – sometimes it reminds me of putting on a favourite old jumper (Tabac works well in winter, I’ve yet to try it in warmer weather), and there is definitely a strongly comforting aspect to the fragrance (perhaps this is partly because I used to be a smoker), although Tabac wouldn’t be at all out of place at a black-tie event. “Masculine” – I would say the fragrance is most obviously masculine, though I think a daring woman could pull it off.

There is a kind of sense of depth and density the fragrance has to it – this is perhaps due to the complex blending of a large number of natural ingredients – which I find very appealing.

All in all, one my personal favourites from the La Via del Profumo line, and, I think, a definite must-sample for anyone looking for a truly high-quality tobacco fragrance.

08 March, 2010