Reviews by madgradrx

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

In theory this was supposed to smell of chocolate, vanilla, tobacco, ginger, etc. I bought blind and received what I could only refer to as Eau du Coppertone Suntain Lotion. Smells vile on me, luckily I traded it to someone with better results.

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

I'm going against the consensus here, I like this one. It's a light, carefree smell that's perfect for a casual day on the weekends when you don't need to smell like the CEO. It's truth in advertising, it does smell like apples and coffee. Sure it's a touch synthetic but it's not the end of the world. This is a good scent for a young man coming out of highschool/going into college.

Original Vetiver by Creed

Another scent with Vetiver in the name that doesn't have any in the bottle. I think OV and Carven's Vetiver lost their vetiver to Guerlain in a poker match. It's a pleasant creamy soap type smell, with zero longevity on me. It's also bears a startling similarity to TM's Cologne.

Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren

I'm giving this a thumbs up because while I don't exactly love it on myself, everyone who's smelled it on me has. A mix of tobacco flower, spice, and a mossy drydown. Refined not brash, well suited for office wear but I would never reach for it in a romantic setting.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

This is without a doubt the finest gourmand I've ever encountered and quite possibly one of the best scents ever created, period. First, someone at the Bond lab screwed up and finally made a scent that didn't owe quite a bit to Creed. For anyone complaining about the integrity of the Bond firm, this will nullify any arguments. It's a warm blend of coffee, vanilla, and patchouli that everyone around me raved about when I wore it. It didn't last long for an EDP, that's my only complaint.

Richard James by Richard James

A perfectly balanced rose fragrance for men. Smooth lush suede notes balance out the ripe rose smell while spices mingle in the background. Refined and elegant, sure to be a classic one day. Terribly hard to find in the states though. Lasts quite a while, can't see myself wear it once the temps go above 80 though.

Duel by Annick Goutal

A very brisk and refreshing green tea fragrance that will be perfect for hotter temps in the summer. Longevity is an issue though, double spray here to get any sort of duration.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

My girlfriend raves about this fragrance and while I like it, I can't quite match her level of enthusiasm. It's soft leather mixed with a little citrus and cream type smell with leaves and spices in the background. Nice fall scent!

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

Maybe this one needs to grown on me but for right now I don't know what to think. You see, I have the packaging the bottle came in, the box and the receipt and it says Armani Night He but I'll be damed if what I'm wearing sounds anything like what's been described so far. There is no tangerine or grapefruit or any citrus at all to me, I think I smelled some violet in the beginning but this could be wishful thinking. I'm left with a very sharp drydown, wouldn't call it sensual at all. The myrrh doesn't seem to be tempered by the wood or patchouli and the pepper note I pick up isn't helping matters. It's unique but I must be missing something to fully appreciate it.

Cuir de Russie by Creed

Sour lemon floor cleaner rubbed into the side of a leather satchel that's been dry rotting in an attic for fifty years combined with leaded gasoline. If this is the next level of leather sophistication, I'll stay a bumpkin gladly.

Scent Intense by Costume National

I love amber, and this one delivers in spades! A very dark, rich amber smell nicely complimented by a tea note lurking in the background. Very 'artsy' type fragrance, perfect for going to an exhibit or a club but a little too much for office wear I think.

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

A somewhat dull green scent with a unique fig note, quite forgettable in fact.

New York by Nicolaï

My second signature scent, this is perfect. A masterful blend of aromatic spices and creamy amber that remain in perfect balance throughout the drydown, one never overtakes the other until the last few hours when it becomes clean and powdery. Everyone should smell this at least once.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

It actually does smell like a cactus when you cut a tall one open! I've never smelled anything like it in a cologne, and it's well received when I go out. Definetely a club type scent, it's fresh and perhaps a touch too sweet, so apply with caution.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

They managed to bottle melancholy. This is not a happy smell, it is indeed a rich wet rose smell that seems out of place anywhere where it's not cold and raining. I think if Seattle could have an official fragrance this would be an excellent choice.

Vétiver (original) by Carven

Smells like rain water collecting on a plastic sheet or tarp during a spring shower. I don't know why there is vetiver in the name because there doesn't appear to be any in the actual product. I spray half a bottle on my bed as a a room freshener and I can still barely smell anything.

Vetiver by Guerlain

I know it's not a niche, but this is my favorite vetiver. I love how the tobacco and vetiver blend to give a rich, earthy accord that borders on gothic, not something I expected.

Ungaro III by Ungaro

Goth in a bottle, in a good way. Roses, old leaves, wet wood and unknown flowers blend together in this masterful creation perfect for the cooler months. I heard it's going to be discontinued, so I should probably start stockpiling now!

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

An archaic fragrance by today's standard, it's a fine example of how tastes have changes so drastically over the years. Excellent blend of leather, tobacco and dry spices that gives off a grizzled masculine appeal.

Touch for Men by Burberry

One of the most maddeningly variable scents in my collection. On some days the scent dries down quite nicely to a refined mix of violet, musk and peppery woods. On others the white musk and tonka dominate. When I first bought it, there were more of the former days than the later.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

I think the executives at Creed personally hate me for some offense I don't even know I've comitted. They create wonder scents that I rush out and pay an obscene amount of money for...only to have them dissapear faster than a sorority girl's dignity at a frat party. This smells *exactly* like my daily cup of tea, warm and creamy. I dodged the creed bad batch bullet on this one and I've very pleased about that. I only get four to five hours out of this scent, but I still love it despite the longevity, or lack there of.

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

An excellent EDP, oriental/gourmand mix. Well blended with spices, vanilla and amber, smells almost like a well made cake. Very sensual, not an office scent

Mark Birley for Men by Mark Birley

Clear case of Emperor's new cologne. Short lived generic citrus+ozone that's been done a million times, except now there is a 100+ price tag attached to it.

Le Dandy by D'Orsay

It's very hard to write a review of this scent without gushing like a maniac. It's one of my signature scents, a glowing warm mix of liquor, tobacco, and creamy woods. This is one of the fragrances that never fails to elevate my mood when I apply it, and it lasts over eight hours on my skin. Rare, but all the better that way!

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

My go to scent for the office. It projects an aura of confidence and power and it lasts all day. The lavender dominates at first and I suspect that puts alot of people off when they smell it, but after an hour or the intensity is reduced and it blends in nicely to the spicy dry down. This is a deep fragrance, not a light aquatic for the feint of heart

L'Anarchiste by Caron

You have to give Caron credit for even releasing this. It's gun metal, orange peels, clove, vanilla, the smell of a pool of blood, and mint. Jarring, smacks you in the face when you put it on and at no point does it settle down enough for you to think "oh yeah I'm just wearing a cologne." Love it or hate it, everyone should try it once.

JHL by Aramis

An excellent cinnamon scent, reminds me of the way my mother's kitchen used to smell for some reason. I don't get the references to a tobaccoo smell, on my skin it's more a glass of liquor with a layer of freshly ground cinnamon floating on top.

Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A very underated MPG. The iris root here smells more raw than the one in Dior Homme, and it's mixed in with florals and woody dry down. Not for everyone but if you like florals this is a good choice.

Insensé by Givenchy

Anyone telling you that this is a masculine scent is a little misguided. It is indeed a very crisp, clean, and long lasting floral perfect for spring, just not if you have a Y chromosone.

Havana by Aramis

One of my goals in life is to round up the execs at Aramis who thought it would be a good idea to discontinue this scent and whack them over their collective heads with a bat. While the notes have used before, never have them come together with this effect. Brilliant mix of tobacco and spices that manages to work well in the fall/winter and on hot summer nights. Good longevity, excellent sillage, wearable in the office of for an evening out.