Reviews by MadScientist

MadScientist's avatar
    MadScientist

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Tar by Comme des Garçons

This doesn't smell like tar to me at all; it smells like rubber - specifically, the rubber valve used to blow up flotation toys for the pool. Further in, it begins to smell more like the surface of the flotation toy or a pair of heavy duty grippy rubber work gloves. Either way -- rubber or tar -- I don't want to smell like this. I find it interesting but not bottle-worthy. Longevity and sillage are below average on me (both 2 on a 1-5 scale).

27 November, 2008

Cuba by Czech & Speake

Disappointing. Others before me have already described this juice well; I also give it a thumbs-up on its own merits. My "meh" rating is based on the sole aspect that the new juice is a copy of a copy of a copy of itself (current stock is a reformulation according to reliable sources). Meaning, all the components of the original seem to still be there but it feels diluted compared to the vintage formula*. Specifically, the "headiness" mentioned on C&Ss website in its description is considerably diminished. The heady effect becomes most apparent late in the drydown but again, it is a fraction of its former self. In the vintage version, the effect was CLEARLY noticeable within about 15 minutes and it lasted throughout most of the drydown.

Heady, ethereal, intoxicating, enveloping warmth - all terms I would use to describe the vintage version but unfortunately, very abstract. It is a quality that one will recognize when one encounters it but that cannot otherwise be adequately described by words alone. Other fragrances I've tried that have a similar effect in varying degrees are Creed Silver Mountain Water, Green Irish Tweed, Himalaya, Basala, Stardust (men), and Dune (men). Could it be ambergris and/or tonka? I believe one or both of these ingredients are common to all the frags I mention.

* I'm making my comparison from memory of the sizable sample of vintage formula I had a couple years ago.

04 November, 2008

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

Rose, citrus, sandalwood, fire & brimstone...magnificent. It fits Ozzy Osbourne perfectly. This is what I would imagine he'd smell like. Me? I can't possibly wear this stuff. I don't have the attitude, presence, or (clothing) wardrobe to do it justice. It's just too wicked.

03 December, 2006

Very Sexy for Him 2 by Victoria's Secret

Excellent, light, causual. My very first impression was "melon" - watermellon or honeydew. This is Acqua di Gio with a little black pepper cracked on top. Dries to a nice woody flavor. Good for summer, office. Not a big fan of the name though.
    Jim, USA, 2004/1002