Reviews by misscasey

misscasey's avatar
    misscasey

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Very unique and distinctive scent here! Slightly sweet, a little sharp and synthetic, but certainly interesting. Spicy in a clean sort of way, almost like catnip. I would probably wear this if it didn't give me such a headache.

01st March, 2012

Patchouli by Molinard

Perfect! I wanna full bottle NOW! This is a full bodied patchouli scent, powdery and slightly sweetened, slightly astringent to my nose. Naturally smoky and "incensy" while not overly "head-shoppy" or "dirty" as critics describe other patchouli scents. The perfect balance between dusty and sweet, somewhat along the lines of Bal a Versailles (though sweeter and more pleasant, and course, lots of patchouli.)

Good luck finding anything this good at your local head shop! This is a proper fragrance right here, and I love it. :)

01st March, 2012

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

My boyfriend bought this for me for Christmas. I picked it out at Sephora. It's very clean and refreshing, yet not terribly "common" smelling. I love the fresh, slightly spicy (must be the cardamom) aspect. Definitely not a heavy scent, though it veers toward the masculine. This does not strike me as a women's scent at all. (Well, it is marketed as unisex.) Voyage d'Hermes is bright and cheerful yet has a serious and assertive side. I agree that is a little transparent though, not very much sillage, and after awhile I can hardly detect it besides on my clothing. (After the drydown, it's surprisingly subtle.) Usually, I prefer a scent with a little more body, but this lightweight yet adventurous beauty is perfect for spring and summer days, and especially fun times outdoors!

21st February, 2012

24, Faubourg by Hermès

Thumbs way up! This is incredible. Definitely on my top five or so. I didn't love it at first, but it didn't take long either. For me, 24 Faubourg is the perfect combination of clean, classy, and elegant. While my jeans and t shirt way of life doesn't seem to do it justice, it's not a very serious, uptight scent either. The effect for me is relaxed and low key. I hesitate to use the term soapy, with its vague and possibly negative connotations, but for me the "clean" aspect is unmistakable. It feels clean and relaxed and put together. This one I would wear not to impress others but rather to please myself. It isn't what I would normally think of a warm, cozy scent (it's not very warm in my mind), but I somehow find it both relaxing and invigorating after a warm bath. Despite its seeming elegance, what I most want is to wear it during thoughtful moments alone, in my best lounge wear, after cleaning my house and myself, and curling up with a good book. But that's just me. (This one is too good to share!)

21st February, 2012

Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent

One of my most decided negatives. I'm usually not so sure ... yes I know I could give it more of a chance, but ... I don't think it's worth it. It's wimpy and downright unpleasant ... smells like nothing at all conjurable besides boring, synthetic, and trite perfume ... yuck, yuck, yuck.

09 August, 2011

Versace by Versace

The first impression is pleasant and pretty. This scent is fresh, crisp, and fruity- prefect for spring. I like the zingy, non sugary sweetness, and something maybe lemonlike. Reminds me a little of D&G Light Blue or Eclat D'Arpege. This soft fruity floral should be wearable and nonoffensive, but one of the perceived milky notes do not agree with me. Like some fresh fruit and flowers in a vase full of warmed milk and old vegetables. By the way: I've gotten that dreaded warm milk note in quite a few scents, so this could be "just me."

23 August, 2009

Ferré by Gianfranco Ferré

Gorgeous! I agree with mbanderson that this scent is well blended. Everything compliments everything, and I really have no complaints with this one. I love the fruit notes which are smoother and more realistic than most I've smelled and not at all syrupy/sugary. Artificial but tastefully so- not obnoxiously, cheaply, sloppily artificial but more refined than other scents. It also doesn't burn my nose which is a plus. A feel good scent which makes me feel young and happy and carefree. Though it was made in 2005, Ferre reminds me of scents I smelled as an early adolescent in the 90s. Maybe the Calgon spray that's supposed to smell like rain? Except this one is so much better. Makes me feel innocent- and reminds me of long lost adventures with long lost friends. Which is pretty impressive since I'm sure I've never smelled it before!

23 August, 2009

Candie's by Candie's

Thumbs down??!! Nooo, I've smelled much worse!!
    The bottle is cute, and especially for the price this is pretty good stuff. Bright, fruity, and sweet with and just a hint of warmth and spice. Why not?

21st August, 2009

Exceptional Because You Are by Exceptional

Light, sweet, melony, aquatic floral. Pleasant but painfully boring. Overtly synthetic. Brings dryer sheets to my mind.
    Very ordinary and predictable IMHO.

07 August, 2009

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

Mmmmm. Perfect! An ambery floral with a chalkdust note that softens the sharpness. An elusive peachy fruit note makes this pleasant and wearable.
    If there is musk, it is not the sweet juicy white musk I'm used to smelling in newer frags (I don't like that kind of musk). It is dry and dusty but not too much so.
    There is a vague sweet richness which is delicate and hard to define.
    For some reason Bal a Versailles reminds me of old books and paintings, the historical buildings on my college campus, and the beautiful intelligent people who inhabit them.
    A smart scent in my mind. I. LOVE. THIS. STUFF. !!

07 August, 2009

Fig & Vetiver by Anthousa

Smooth, sweet, and very beautiful! Also smells natural IMHO, like mellow fruits and coconut. The creaminess makes it special and not too sharp.
    One word of caution: I believe this contains natural fragrance oils. Key word oils. When I sprayed on my wrist it made my skin shine (the EDP spray).
    It was later absorbed and ceased to glimmer, but I would suggest not to spray this on clothes as the oils could stain.

04 August, 2009

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

I rather liked this straight from the vial- the opening too- and then the drydown became an old bowl of cereal on me, bad milk and all.
    I've always been annoyed when reviewers mention bad milk- like "really, come on now." But this smells just like a soggy bowl of Cheerios.
    With weak potpourri and a hint of BO.

PS It's probably just me, so please don't let me deter any fans or potential fans. Give it a try for sure.
    But I agree with Galamb_Borong that it smells like cheese.

04 August, 2009

Boucheron by Boucheron

NICE!! Unlike other scents of its genre and time, Boucheron is not very musky- just big, warm, and bright. Not too sweet, but sweet enough to make the florals feel at home.
    I like how its not too cheery and not too serious.
    Boucheron has found an important place on my "if I can find cheaply enough" wish list.

03 August, 2009

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

Smells to me like I cracked open some chocolate covered cherries and used them as bath beads. Which is not a terrible thing, but not what I'm looking for in a fragrance. I like this scent, but it feels like something is missing. Super duper sweet is all I get. Like Cherry Coke. Just doesn't suit me I guess.

02 August, 2009

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

I like Elle a lot! As a fan of dry, spicy, woodsy scents- this is the most patchouli prominent women's frag I've tried. It doesn't smell like a head shop; it smells like the beautiful sexy hippie chick who owns the head shop. The perfect mix between edgy and mainstream. Sexy and fresh. Daring and pleasant. Would also be lovely on a man.

28 July, 2009

Mitsouko by Guerlain

*Sigh* This smelled so much better in the reviews. In 3D land, I just can't take it. I almost like it, but not quite. To say it is challenging is the ultimate understatement ... My boyfriend hates it ... It's interesting how it induces nostalgia- how it seems familiar, yet completely unknown ... I cannot identify a single note- which is something I'm weak at to begin with. It's very sharp and nonsweet to me. But it can also smell doughy, pasty, makeupy, papery, mossy, musty, and dusty. Effervescent like Alka Seltzer. An impression of spice but not actually spicy. I cannot describe it using any of the 4 tastes- not sweet, bitter, sour, or salty. So many likeable impressions but overall is unpleasant. Also seems to give me a headache ... I feel self conscious in a bad way when I wear this ... Like I might be arrested for wearing it. Which could make it fun if you can stand it! I'd love to smell it on someone else. If I were rich I would own it for novelty's sake. But since I'm poor and will not wear it, I'm giving it a neutral and putting it up for swap. Good luck with this one! (newer EDT version)

28 July, 2009

J'Adore by Christian Dior

A pleasant scent with some realistic notes. I'm not getting anything besides fruits and florals, maybe a touch of something musky underneath. Gives me an impression of roses and apple peels. I like how the notes have a natural feel while fresh and soapy. Subtly sweet, with something tart to my nose. Sparkling? Sure. Interesting? Nope. Bores me to tears. I have trouble detecting this on me, and it's eau de parfum. Virtually no sillage unless my nose isn't working. Could be because I've been wearing darker, heavier scents lately. I'll have to disagree that this smells mature (not particularly at least). I could see a young person wearing this- even a teenager. At the same time, it could work for anyone who wants to wear this. A light and subtle daytime scent IMHO. Very nice but nothing exciting.

27 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)

Chance Eau Fraîche by Chanel

I like this scent as it's pleasant with mighty projection and strength (IMHO). Not what I was expecting for an "eau fraiche."
    I don't plan to wear it myself, but it smells great on my lady friend. To my nose, Chance Eau Fraiche leans toward the masculine and could easily be worn by a man. Obviously a high quality fragrance which I do suppose smells fresh- in a sporty way- if you only just sniff and don't think too much about it. This scent would best suit a bold, confident woman who is stylish and sure of herself. Wear it and turn heads!

14 July, 2009

Carlos Santana for Women by Carlos Santana

Carlos, I'm sorry but this just doesn't do it for me. I'm a huge fan of Carlos' music, so I really want to love this and feel bad for giving it a neutral. I think that the notes and the effect are both nice. I like the idea. However, there is an overly synthetic fruit note which I-maybe unfairly- associate with a tropical scented air freshener I've smelled before. Which sadly enough spoils this for me. I don't want to be that way, but ... Oh well. By the way, I'm not getting any "spice" from this. Maybe it's just me :(

14 July, 2009

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

A lovely, fresh floral scent! Just beautiful. Casually, effortlessly chic. Bold but not too sassy. The florals in L'Eau D'Issey are more apparent than those in newer aquatic type scents-which is a great thing in my opinion. This to me is THE classic fresh floral. Not trendy or dated, just all around good stuff. I'll wear it and wear it proudly.

PS: My boyfriend says it's one of his favorites and he is a picky, "don't make me smell that fake stuff all the time" ... " I just don't like artificial scents" kind of guy. Amazing. I guess he doesn't think it smells like perfume per se; just smells clean and pretty. Reminds us both of Cool Water though I like this one best.

14 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2009)

Samsara by Guerlain

My all time favorite fragrance. Just perfect! Any description will do no justice for Samsara. Just try it. Buy it. Wear it. Highly recommended and a MAN MAGNET.

13 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2009)

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

There is a too sharp, too heavy, too chemical musky note. Maybe the synthetic cedar note that someone has mentioned. I agree with the comparison to Eclat D' Arpege, but I prefer Eclat D' Arpege. However, I'd rather not wear either one of them. Maybe I'd like this on someone else.

03 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)

My Insolence by Guerlain

This fragrance is exceptional in that upon smelling I was sure I disliked it. I am usually less decisive about scents, and in fact this is my first thumbs down review. This is not a bad fragrance. The smell is not offensive or overtly "perfumey." But it is far too light/powdery/sweet for my taste. Perhaps it would be lovely on the right person. I don't know. But I give it a thumbs down since it disagreed with me.

10th June, 2009

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Opium is a scent which I would like to smell on other people but not on myself. Sort of like a really nice outfit that looks great on someone else but would not look as good on myself. I like the smell. I like it because it doesn't try to be likeable. It's just there. The notes work well together and it it smells put together. I could like it a lot in the right mood. I would maybe wear a hint of this if I wanted to feel dressed up. Smells like a timeless classic to me.

10th June, 2009

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

I rewrote this review because, due to misinformation from a salesperson, I was actually reviewing Bulgari Red Tea! Bulgari Pour Femme is a light, fresh, somewhat sweet floral with a tealike note in there somewhere. Pleasant enough but leaves me bored.

10th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)

Eau Fraîche by Bulgari

A fresh, clean, fruity floral. Delicate yet sassy. Nearly reminiscent of tea. I enjoy this scent a lot, and would give it a thumbs up if it weren't so wispy. After 15 minutes I can hardly get a whiff. I bought 1 ounce unsniffed at a discount store about a week ago, and I've sprayed half the bottle in an effort to follow the scent to its secret hiding place. If only this were a bit stronger :(

09 June, 2009

Revert Eco Perfume Spray by rue21

My stepdaughter equivalent bought a bottle of Revert at Rue 21 for about $9.99. Let me tell you now that for a 10 dollar 1.7 oz bottle, you couldn't ask for more. I was surprised right away that I liked it as much as I did. It smells a bit like a "body spray," but better than many in my opinion. It is fairly potent for a scent of this style. If I had to pinpoint a note I would say there is a sharp tangy citrus note, probably grapefruit. Intensely fresh and fruity and any other notes like florals are next to zero. The package boasts some natural ingredients and eco friendly packaging. It is too much of a fruit punch for a grown woman like myself, but I would much rather smell this on my preteen than Calgon or the like.

24 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

I regret to say that this is my first thumbs down review. My mother had this on her dresser. I tried it on. I disliked it immediately. However, I became nostalgic as I was vaguely and instantly transported back in time when I was a kid, at a country church with my aunt. This is just how the ladies smelled at church. I also got a fleeting impression of old time aftershave. This one is not for me.

24 May, 2009

Shalimar Light by Guerlain

First of all, I have not had the pleasure of trying the original. With that said, Shalimar Light is fantastic. My boyfriend loves it. Every time I wear it, he doesn't recognize it but asks which perfume it is. He has said it's his favorite. Very sweet but somehow fresh. It smells lemony and vanilla-ish with some bright, sunshiney florals. This fragrance is stunning and one of the few scents which seems to automatically affect my mood. One of my favorites. Two thumbs up!!

17 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

An awesome frag which I'd like to keep in rotation. I won't try to describe the scent besides that it's smoky/spicy/sweet. Beautifully balanced, easy to wear, with excellent sillage and longevity. Truly a masterpiece. Am 100% sure to buy again as soon as possible and will be very sad if they stop making it.

17 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)