Reviews by malka_lev_adom

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

It isn't as good as the original Allure EDP. There's something they added to it that's synthetic, makes it much more generic, hollow... somehow cheapening it. The vision I get from it is going to one of those ultra-modern, HUGE pick-up bars. Something that is modern, well-designed, well-packaged and wannabe sophisticated, but it lacks richness, innuendo, true class. It smells like an immitation of the real thing, and that I do not appreciate.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet!
    This is such an unusual scent, even though 1001 imitations have sprung out since its release.
    First, design-wise: this may very well be one of the best designed perfume bottles EVER. The cleanliness and sleekness, the unexpected metallic element, it is such a jewel to have making an elegant statement on the dresser. I wish more designers would take this approach to their perfume bottles. Now,on to the scent.
    Let people call it lipstick. When it first hit my skin, I said: "wow, this is going to work!". I was intrigued by the contrast between the sweet, powdery iris and this note I identified as black pepper but may be cardamom mingling with something else - leather, perhaps? I immeditaly had a vision of a woman like Grace Jones, somehwere inbetween the gender definitions, but beautiful, man or woman. Now I smell it on more guys than I did a couple of years ago, and it's very flattering on the skin.
    I wear it, sparingly, probably not often enough to buy a bottle, but it's always there winking at me as I walk up to the cosmetics counter in a drugstore... especially before a night out. It can work perfectly as an evening scent for both men and women. Now, how many fragrances you can say that about? Dior Homme is such a gem!

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Plainly ans simply put: This fragrance is heavy with musk, bitter to my nose, and it completely turns me away from any woman wearing it.
    In a way it reminds me of an old brand we have here called "Musk Oil", which I guess was very heavy on synthetic musk... and I've always found it to be a complete turn-off, scent-wise.
    Then again, chypres rarely work for me.. I just thought from the shape of the bottle and the title that it would be much softer than it really is.
    I'm sorry to say, but this one is a no-go for me.

Allure Eau de Parfum by Chanel

What a difference the level of concentration makes! It's night and day, betwen the EDT and EDP, honest. With the EDT I could only smell generic alcohol and couldn't understand for the life of me why they had called it "Allure". I would've called it "Meh".
    But then came the Eau de Parfum. Oh, joy. The richness, the florals, the basenotes, everything fell right into place. Definitely all woman, really rich and classy. It's a classic, and it's an instant go-to scent. I've been coveting it ever since it was released, although at 27 I feel I still have a little maturing to do before I can wear it with 100% comfort. I LOVE IT, though, I really really do.

Rosewood by Banana Republic

This is *NOT* rosewood. Please, Dear perfumers at BR, do not name a fragrance after a note that's not even in it!
    The reason I tried this on me (and what a grave mistake that was...) was that I thought it would be a mature, feminine scent just like rosewood is. It was not to be.
    Alas, I was hit with a wave of sweetness straight after application that just kept intensifying into this cloud of cheap, cloying candy.
    Now, I have no problem with sweetness, if it comes in a digestable form - Dior's Hypnotic Poision is a good example of a good kind of sweet.
    But this one... No thanks!

03 August, 2008

Slate by Banana Republic

I tried Slate on yesterday, as a potential daytime scent. I must say that I truly enjoyed its freshness, regardless of it being oriented towards men. It seems mild enough to work on women, too. I need to try it a few more times before I make up my mind but this seems great for those days when you just want to be casual, energetic, and assertive.
    As for buying a bottle, we'll see...

03 August, 2008

Premier Jour by Nina Ricci

I think I smell sweet pea in this, and sweet pea is one of my favorite floral notes. it's a soft scent, this one, and I love it in the hot summers of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. soft, fresh, gentle... it's perfect for the times you want to wear a sun dress or just a gentle camisole that covers only what needs to be covered. beautiful.

29 December, 2005

Dream by Gap

I fell in love with the orange blossom note in this and this scent's sweetness when I was 16. I still have the bottle, nearly unused, because it didn't take very long for me to discover Dior's Hypnotic Poison and abandoning "dream" for eternity. Regarding "dream", I liken it to candy. I still think that candy is nice to have every once in a while, not every day or all the time. There are better ones out there for me that suit me better now, at 24.

29 December, 2005

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

There's something harsh to it that my chemistry reacts with in a not-so-nice way. Probably the amber. it smelled too much like men's cologne. WAYYY too masculine for me.

SummerbyKenzo by Kenzo

very pleasant, very wearable, soft fresh and radiant. Very good, although not exactly me. a good option to have when you run out of the house and forget to apply perfume... you know these situations, right? you make a quick visit to the local mall to apply perfume and go on with your day... it's the kind of scent I'd choose on these mornings.

Angel Garden Of Stars - Peony Angel by Thierry Mugler

Here's an "Angel" I can actually wear!
    I love the peony in this, it softnes tings up beautifully.
    it reminds me a bit of BPAL's "Xiuhtecuhtli" in a way. Which is a good thing. it's not distinct enough to want on it's own - I'm sticking to my BPAL - but still, getting an "Angel" I can wear well, is an achievement.

Alien by Thierry Mugler

extremely pleasant at first, wet on the skin... nice and ethereal. Then it seems as if it kind of faded away, you don't smell much... it's only a few hours later that you're left with a halo of a curious sweet second-skin note... like clean skin only better. I like it. I really wish it smelled like the inital application the whole time. I loved the top notes.

Mandarina Duck by Mandarina Duck

strange. very strange. it has a peppery note to it, like black pepper, and somehow the notes just don't seem to bond together... strange scent. not for me.

Secret 88 Temptation by Victoria's Secret

it's almost masculine on me, I think it could be worn by a man too. I like it, but there are better spice and vanilla blends out there.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I know why I liked it on me. Because it's very similar to the first Emporio for men, just sweeter... the tangier lemony note is missing from Black Code... to be honest, I'll stick to Emporio He. Much more fresh.

Kenzoair by Kenzo

It's interesting how much I like anise scents, while at the same time, I hate anise as a food ingredient. Where I'm from, wild fennel grows in fields and on the sides of the roads. When you snap a thick stalk open, the sap emits a wild, perfumy note that I think would be devine on a man. it's not a mild civilized anise candy as in Lolita Lempicka - it's wild, green, ALIVE fennel. I'm very glad to see that Kenzo picked up on that note, wild fennel sap. Here it's combined with a kind of citrus, among other things. If I were a man, I'd wear it. Very fresh, and different.

Rochas Man by Rochas

this scent, to me, spells TROUBLE in big, bold, red letters. It is terribly sexy on any man, and I associate it with a guy I was involved with who addmittedly was an awesome lover - but an awesome heartbreaker. I find scent to be a huge turn-on, I know to stay away from it if I want to control myself. Yup, the effect is that strong *sigh*.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

It can smell totally amazing on the right person. I honestly get the impression of sweet baby liquid soap mixed with black pepper. Not for me, but it works on others.

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

I wanted to like this. heaven knows I LOVE the packagind of the EDP. But smoke, vetiver, heavy, heavy... Nu EDP attacked my nose. I tried it once over 5 years ago, and I can still remember how masculine and smoky it smelled. it almost felt as if a stick of incense was burning inside my nose. Not a nice experience. I liked the EDT a little better, but there are scents that are 1000 times better on me.

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

I don't know what made it smell like some kind of cheap air freshener spray, but it did. I had high hopes for it.

Byzantine by Rochas

I remember this one very well as my grandfather's second wife used to wear it. I didn't like her too much as a person, but the scent itself really appeals to me - it's really exotc. the sweetness, powderiness and floral note really blend well together. it's not as soft or nearly as sultry as Hypnotic Poison for example, but it's still highly luxrious. the bottle which is rich blue with gold wrting on it really sums it up well - a rich, soft oriental. Good stuff.

Fragile by Jean Paul Gaultier

I love the rich floral note here, that has just a hint of fruitiness to it. From my experience, Tuberose gets along with my skin. A good option for evening and those who like richer florals.

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

If I could give it 5 thumbs up, I would.
    This is the first feminine scent I wore and the first feminine scent I bought. Until then, I could only wear "shared" scents - unisex or light men's scents. Hypnotic Poison was the first scent that really evoked a mood, an image... a vision of the woman I wanted to be at 17. I didn't wear it too often for years since I smelled it on too many women around me. But now that less women wear it, I'm going back to it. It's one of the most amazing scents in the world.