Reviews by SeaninDubh

Messe de Minuit by Etro

Smells like the priest dropped a year's supply of candles into the censure. Have tried this several times wanting to like it. Not for me.

09 August, 2010

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

Candle wax falling onto an electric heater that has been switched on for the first time since summer, a tube station in London with a whiff of incense. The initial synthetic cocktail gives way to something very wearable with a trace of something a little odd.

30th September, 2009

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

It's floral, it's powdery and soapy, but there's something almost melancholic about IdH in a good way. I'm a big fan of frankincense, but here it's kept in the background and comes through in a very different way from other scents. This might be my summer fragrance this year. Maybe it's the associations I have, but this is one I'll wear on my own rather than in a group. Floral enough to be unisex, IMO. I'm not usually an irish fan either, but it works for me in this scent.

03 April, 2009

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

A wonderfully spicy, sweet fragrance that smells natural. The sweet, and after a while almost synthetic vanilla on the drydown is not to my taste and it seems almost as thought the frankincense is wasted. But I'm a frankincense monster, so I'll give this one a thumbs up as I'm sure this one will please many people and it's quite a unique scent despite being reasonably simple.

28 March, 2009

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

The spicy, gingery opening soon gives way to a slightly vanilla-tinged wood smell. On my skin, the drydown is a lovely, intense, sweet olibanum that results in frequent wrist-sniffing. Not to everyone's taste, but for lovers of woody, incense frags, this one is up there, and costs less than some of the other incense frags on the market.

My new signature scent for my 30s. I could bathe in this!

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I bought this back in 1994 while I was at uni. It was my 3rd signature scent, and one I've kept in my wardrobe ever since. That it is so popular really is of no worry to me. This is a beautiful acquatic scent that manages to be woody, citrusy and spicy as well.

I keep meaning to buy some high grade sandalwood oil to layer this with, to see how that would work.

The scent of many years of my life. I'm moving on to woody orientals and forays into oud, but this one will always be on my shelf.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

I loved 212 from the very first smell. It is indeed sweet, with a metallic/synthetic twist, but I am a lover of all things olibanum, and while I can't single this out in the basenotes, I think this must be the clincher for me and the note that pulls 212 away from some of the overpoweringly sweet, floral scents with similar notes. A must have for me.