Reviews by Arts Rep

2 Oeillet by Prada

Sensuous, rich, layered without being complicated. Modern and classic at once. Elegant. Sillage is clean and it lasts forever on my actually has that ability to make it seem as though it IS the scent of my skin. The carnation dominates throughout but is never sweet or cloying. Quickly becoming my signature.
01st April, 2009

Aoud Oeillet D'Inde by Montale

On me, the carnation/clove note was the perfect fulcrum for everything else to rest on, and stayed around for the drydown in subtlest but still intoxicationg way. I agree not heavy on the aoud - but that was ok as everything else worked so perfectly together. Generally there are just too many notes (not to sound like the Emperor in Amadeus, but...) in the Montale line, but not here. Everything played off everything else in harmony.

Greyland by Montale

Much too much going on for me. As mentioned in my Montale Oeillet review, it feels like the Emperor in Amadeus to say that - but my nose has no idea what direction to run in when Greyland is around. And it stays and stays and develops and develops for ever. Dizzying, really. It is also one of the few frags in my collection to have never garnered any notice, query or compliment from anyone (and it is strong enough for a dead dog to notice).

New York by Nicolaï

My old standby, friend, and signature frag for fifteen years now. Have never once - ever - not been complimented when wearing it. I'm guessing that's because someone about it mixes perfectly with my body chemistry, but it also feels like a perfectly constructed work. Every note blends into the next and it develops in the most organic and beautiful way. Sillage is brilliant without overkill.

Muschio / Musk by Santa Maria Novella

Ordered a decant based on these reviews and boy was that a mistake. I don't get the powder - I don't get anything but the insistent cloy of a SMN frag. To me they smell vaguely all the same save a smattering of the top note in the particular name. No comparison to Lutens' Musc Koublai Kahn, imho. Sorry.
16th February, 2009

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

I concur wholeheartedly with Carl 999 and Monkey Man Matt. I ordered a decant based on the glowing reviews here as well as the fact that I have been a fan of Caron's PUH literally since childhood (can never have enough lavendar or vanilla as far as I'm concerned). I could not have been more disappointed. The notes cited are all present but the net result seems dated, uninspired and uninspiring. It lasted no time at all on my skin, felt like a chemical compound instead of a great frag and reeked of 1985.
16th February, 2009