Reviews by Narguile

Narguile's avatar
    Narguile

What We Do In Paris Is Secret by A Lab on Fire

This is so beautiful, and will probably be next on my list to acquire - every time I wear it I am surprised again how beautifully it develops. The honey is not an overwhelming note for me, but just adds a floral nectar tone to the whole composition. From the notes, it sounds gourmand, but in practice it's like some amazing floral hybrid where they managed a gourmand tone emanating from a live, heady flower. So spectacular and radiant, it was instant love for me.

04 June, 2012

Axe Anarchy for Her by Axe / Lynx

Smells as if you've rubbed your degree powder deodorant all the way down your arms.

04 May, 2012

Sexy Angelic by Honoré de Prés

It's possible that I'm anosmic to something in this - it smells like pale, watered down almond and plastic doll head and little else. Very disappointed as I love some of the others in this line.

04 May, 2012

Diane by Diane von Furstenberg

I really wanted to like this, but it smells like a chemically base on me - with an odd musty tone. Very dissappointing.

02 February, 2012

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

I love this scent - it plays on me like an elegant, cool and green carnation scent. Lovely and austere, I would have it if only it weren't for the $300 price tag :)

03 September, 2011

No. 68 by Guerlain

I bought my bottle of Cologne du 68 unsniffed, but desperate to find at least one Guerlain to love besides Bois d'Armenie. I ripped open the box, spritzed it on, and was immediately intoxicated! Lovely citrusy opening with slightly herby freshness - and then, a few minutes in I started to get this heavenly slightly powdery lavendar and gourmand touches - which reminds me a whole heck of a lot of the wonderful Vero Profumo Kiki. This is a good thing, because I adore Kiki, but find it a bit much in parfum strength and very far out of my price range. This is like the wearable fashions for a couture piece - it is Kiki to me, but in a much more user friendly approach, comfortable for every day wear but beautiful enough to make a lovely impression. The sillage is wonderful on this, but not cloying, and the lasting power is going strong at 4 hours right now and still lovely. As it dries down, I really get the guerlinade drydown - it's definitely my kind of scent!

10th April, 2010

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

For your money, Kenzo Power is a much more beautiful powdery iris with just a touch of creamy warmth. There is a garish bit in Dior Homme that forever makes it screechy on my skin, and the gourmand notes in this smell cheap. Not for me.

09 April, 2010

White Linen by Estée Lauder

I will admit, from the outset, that I am biased, as this is one of my mother's choices for fragrance. I associate the clean, wonderful brightness to memories of her in her vibrant younger years, pink cheeked and laughing. I also am lucky enough to have a decant of this in parfum form, which turns down the screechy volume of the aldehydes and smooths the floral notes. Like Chanel No 5, it is more abstract of a floral than any clear one, but I love the clean white vibe of this fragrance. Sometimes I desire to have a pureness of spirit, a starched white shirt and smartly cut trousers - this is the perfect scent for those days.

09 April, 2010

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I am fairly certain that I am anosmic to the musks used in Lovely, because I have tried two different bottles and can smell hardly anything, except for a chemically woody base that smells like cashmeran and not much else. Where is the florals and musks? Very sad, but that is not even wearable to me as I find the chemical drydown unbearable.

04 April, 2010

Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

This beautiful and *very* green fragrance may be just a bit too green for some. The gorgeous citrus topnotes remind me of lemon and orange peels when they are still a bit unripened, and a tad bitter. It is bracing and fresh. Then the scent begins to warm up a bit and it is green leaves and stems, fresh and cool and juicy. Love this part of the scent. It never gets very sweet to me, but as the scent progresses there is a bit of a warm, powdery sweet tone to this - some say coconut and some say almond, but to me it is a shifting nuttiness - not exactly tropical, and not exactly almond. It is more the impression of a slightly powdered creamy note, that just hugs the edges of the scent to give it a bit of lushness. I absolutely adore the story this scent tells, so wonderful! It will for sure be an addition to my collection as soon as LuckyScent gets it in stock!!

25 March, 2010

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

This fragrance is completely amazing on me, and I'm surprised to see that no one else gets the rose impression that I do. On me, this is an amazing spicy, exotic rose fragrance tinged in savory luxe cinnamon and cloves. It also has a very silky feeling to it, like the drydown of Safran Troublant. There is a sexy musky undercurrent where I can very subtly notice cumin - but this is a note I love and searched out, not something that I think would be very noticeable to others. What I don't get is smoky, which lots of others have noted, and I'm surprised that I don't get. The medicinal note in this plays to me as more of an Oud wood impression, and reminds me of the glorious wood backdrop of Lyric Woman. I'm stunned by the mixed reviews, but no matter, all the more for me to hoard!

23 February, 2010

Circus Fantasy by Britney Spears

This, in my opinion, is one of the best celeb fragrances, if not the best. I tried this today, and was surprised by the deliciously tart topnotes, a lovely raspberry fruit juiciness and spice middle that reminded me of a more demure Hot couture for a bit, and then some wonderfully sheer lush floral notes and creamy musk in the drydown. There was no cheap plastic notes, no awful cheap wood or harsh musk like I expected. Honestly, if you had put this in a different bottle I would have sworn it was a high end creation - it's wonderful. The creamy notes are the best I've experienced, and though it sounds like it might be a garish gourmand scent, it never is. It's a wonderfully fun, beautifully constructed youthful scent that can be appreciated by those with a discerning nose :)

18 February, 2010

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

I love this Dior like no other. It is the perfect citrus on me - bright and wonderful opening, which reminds me of the green citrus smell of lemon skins when you are zesting them. The almond gives a wonderful almost creamy feel to the middle of this, and in the drydown I get a distinctly dry cedar and almost peppery warmth in this. I love it at every stage, and hope that this one stays around for a while!

10th February, 2010

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

This is all curry and maple syrup on me. I wanted to love this, but after waiting a terrible 45 minutes for something, anything different to happen, I am sad to say that I just don't think this is going to work for me.

10th February, 2010

Amaranthine by Penhaligon's

I am a wholehearted Bertrand Duchafour fan, especially after the glorious Safran Troublant. Amaranthine is an unexpected surprise for me - The banana leaf and green tea in this couple to create an almost melon like fresh top note that is unlike anything I've ever experienced. The florals and ylang couple for an exotic silky midrange, and the vanilla, milky and cardamom create a comforting base that is of siimilar style to Safran Troublant's creamy dry down. Lovely and unique.

28 November, 2009

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

What started out as lovely powdery iris and a powdery patch/chocolate base just intensified with time and over the course of the last few hours has gotten louder with a synthetic woody amber sweet base. I so wanted to love this, but it is too much.

28 November, 2009

Angel Garden Of Stars - Rose Angel by Thierry Mugler

I find this scent to be a wonderful conglomeration of some of my favorite fragrances - I don't love the rotted fruit and dirty earth of the original angel, so I appreciated the muted tones of this one, the patchouli more of a coromandel type patchouli, dusty and warm. The fruity floral aspect of this scent reminds me of the rose jam accord of Liaisons dangereuse, and there is a wonderful sweet tobacco effect in this similar to my beloved, and discontinued, Escada Collection. All together, this adds up to a wonderful, shimmering scent that I love for the first few hours - the only downside is that this scent eventually dries down into the original Angel finish, leaving a clingy patchouli base after a few hours that lasts, and lasts, and... lasts. It just will not die. Which for most people is good, but for me is a little much.

30th June, 2009

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I think this is a really wonderful vetiver - dry, smoky and enveloping with a wonderful slight nuttiness (that for me, often translates into the smell of fresh pine nuts). I do not find it bitter at all, but my chemistry seems to magnify even the tiniest sweet and nullify bitterness in any scent. My husband did not like this - "soapy" was his only comment. Gasp! Not at all. I find the smokiness perfect - not barbeque esque, no lighter fluid notes, just the dry crisp smell of a far off campfire in a wide open space. My only wish is that it had a bit more development - this for me starts off the same way it ends, a very linear, glorious vetiver.

24 May, 2009

Absinthe by Slatkin

I can't better Somerville Metro Man's review of this, so I won't dare try. But it is spot on, and I can tell you this fragrance has a magnetism about it that reeled in the compliments like no scent I've owned before or since. It can be too much, and needs to be worn sparingly... years of dabbing on what was left of a large decant made for ample application. But, oh so lovely and dark!

28 April, 2009

Love In Paris by Nina Ricci

I have tried and tried to get this fragrance based upon the review in "The Guide" but all I get is watered down peach and shampoo. It is not pretty, it does not evolve in any fashion, and I wouldn't want anyone to catch me smelling of this!

28 March, 2009

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

I absolutely love the complexity of this fragrance, the smoky rubbery tar opening that evolves into a hazy vanilla veil at the very tail end. It is everything I could not appreciate years ago when I first began my fragrance collecting, and now I can fully appreciate the complex structure, the slinky skin salt note that wraps through the whole delicious mix. Totally amazing and worth every minute.

16 February, 2009