Reviews by argentak

argentak's avatar
    argentak

John Varvatos STAR USA by John Varvatos

Had to write a second review because this frag is double-listed. But anyways. Star USA is clean and smooth but also has a rich, darker undertone. It's a perfect transitional fragrance and isn't heavy in any way. The beauty of it really lies in how the fragrance lingers. There is all the bold definition of a leathery evening cologne but it has a subtle smooth edge that makes it feel effortless in everyday casual situations. The beauty in its dynamic simplicity earns it an A+ for me.

20th July, 2012

John Varvatos STAR USA by John Varvatos

I bought a full EDT of this number after all of the buzz I heard about it through some various channels. I have to say I'm mightily impressed. It's got your very classic American designer smooth casual feel but yet has a dark depth to it.

It's rare to find a fragrance which can pull off deep and mysterious while also doing smart and daytime semi-formal.

20th July, 2012

Diesel Green Masculine by Diesel

Diesel Green is like a thick, leafy punch in the face if you don't pump the handle quickly and gently to get a good atomization. Otherwise it streams out its iconic weedkiller style pump in drops and the overwhelming concentration makes you feel like you've just had a savoury Mountain Dew syrup poured on you.

However, when the bottle is mastered, the scent is leafy and fresh but has a deep blunt warm sauna-like atmosphere that beckons the wilds of a temperate rainforest that separates it from your mom and pop variety grass fragrances.

Definitely full of mystery and definitely distinct. Don't use it if you're afraid to stand out.

28 April, 2012

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Personally I love this fragrance because it is cool and warm at the same time without losing any softness in the contrast. It's a young professional scent that tends to warm up, and doesn't contain too much fruitiness like similar aquatic scents.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I can appreciate Drakkar Noir but it is not for me. This scent is the epitome of a 100% urban setting cologne and is a bit too blunt.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I have to admit this is my number one favorite fragrance to wear. I'ts got the leathery underbite of a popular 80's scent with the sweet, organic aura of the 90's all in one. I also have to admit that when you first smell or spray it from the bottle there is a split second where it actually smells kind of bad, which I suspect is the doing of the peppermint playing off of too many darker scents, but when it passes there's always a warm, sweet scent that's prevented from being too overpowering by the tar and coffee.