Reviews by Mehitabel

Trouble by Boucheron

Being a fan of Boucheron, I was more than willing to give it a chance, scent unsmelt, and I was not disappointed in the frag. My only criticism is that it smells so much like Dior Addict, and seems to be one of the many followers in the Angel types of scents. I'm not getting the Casmir coconut or the Hypnotic Poison almond accords, though.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

My first impression was that of rotten fruit. I had to give it another chance, because so many people I know like it, and it smells good on them. It took more than one try, on a coolish day, for me to get past the spoiled fruit to the glow. Because it's unpredictable on me though, I often pass it over.

Un Air de Samsara by Guerlain

The mintiness of the Samsara variation lightens it up so, seemingly setting the earthbound sandalwood confection free. I love it in the summer. I perceive it as a cross bwtween Guerlain's monumental Samsara, and their Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca (though not as yellow-green). It sounds unlikely, but it works beautifully!

Macchia Mediterranea by Borsari

Aquatic and very herbal. It's very pleasant, but not particularly feminine. I like it, and share it with my husband.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme by Bulgari

I wanted to like it, but the tea note was just too extreme for me.

Dirt by Demeter Fragrance Library

It's got that musty patchouli thing going on that I just love. Oddly, it layers well with Demeter's Baby Powder. I like it.

cK be by Calvin Klein

Oddly enough, this scent seemed mediocre to me until I accidentally layered it with Organza Indecence... wow!

Energizing Fragrance by Shiseido

I'm not sure I would characterize the fragrance as energizing as much as enervating. Between what smells like anise and a very rich datura aroma, I find the perfume evocative of something very carnal and reptile-brained. I love it.

Byzantine by Rochas

I love this sparkling, effervescent fragrance. White flowers with some orange blossom and spices make it sing, joyously.

Byzance by Rochas

Five stars are not enough. I love the spicy complexity of this. It does not seek to please, but to pique. Sort of like Niki de Saint Phalle with a conspiratorial smile.

Deci Delà by Nina Ricci

Capricious, dazzling, and effervescent, it is delightfully fruity without, for me, being cloyingly so. The woods and chypre ground it nicely. A keeper, especially for summer.

Crêpe de Chine by Long Lost Perfume

An elusive green floral fragrance that I've used for many years. I covetously guard the remainder of the original juice as the remake is disappointing, a mere shadow.

Candie's by Candie's

I know this is mostly subjective, but on me, the stuff is horrible. I could not find one thing about it I like.

Calvin Klein by Calvin Klein

Very floral, full, rich, and beautiful. I loved it then and would gladly love it now, albeit, less frequently.

Enigma by Alexandra de Markoff

This is one of the first perfumes that really got my attention. It is a very spicy oriental, not as sweet as Opium or Youth Dew, and is heavily laced with patchouli. I love it.

Ambargris by Madini

Smoky, carnal, captivating and compelling. It speaks to a primitive part of the brain, in a very persuasive language.
20th February, 2009

Arpège by Lanvin

I bought this after many years of not having used or smelled it. I sprayed it on and inhaled. My first impression was a happy 'Ah' that gradually gave way to the exultant 'Oh my!' as the scent unfolded. It was like stepping into a fragrant space, and, then, suddenly, the sun emerging. This is a truly wonderful, complex, and joyous perfume.
20th February, 2009