Reviews by Andyman

Magnificent Gold by Yves Saint Laurent

This reminds me of Pi by Givenchy.
16th February, 2019

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Soft, soapy and sexy!
07th February, 2019

Aramis Black by Aramis

This is dry and rather unusual, containing some notes I've never heard of before, i.e. elemi and lentiscus. The cognac note is also original and stands out to me.
17th January, 2019

The One Grey by Dolce & Gabbana

I really like this. I think it’s quite sexy. And although it does smell similar to the original The One, I can still appreciate it as a distinct scent that stands on its own. Grey is woodier and spicier, whereas the original is more sweet and watery.
16th January, 2019

Uomo Acqua by Valentino

This is very light to my nose. I actually can't smell anything much except a bit of woodiness. Not for me I'm afraid; I prefer something with a lot more substance and strength. Therefore, I can't give this anything except a thumbs down. Disappointing.
11th January, 2019

The Collector : Black Muscs by Alexandre.J

Reminiscent of both Lola and Daisy by Marc Jacobs.
03rd January, 2019

Hidden London : Belgravia Chypre by Penhaligon's

This is the first Penhaligon's I have smelt.

Intensely woody, which makes it very similar to Gucci Pour Homme (2003), which is now unfortunately discontinued. However, the Gucci is a little drier, whereas Belgravia Chypre is a bit sweeter, which I suppose would make it more suitable as a unisex fragrance.

A definite thumbs up.
03rd January, 2019

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

My bottle doesn’t look like the one in the picture here.

This smell reminds me of a clothes spray my mother used to use whilst ironing. It therefore smells a bit cheap to me, but I will give it a bit of use every now and then. I don’t hate it, but neither is it one of my favourites.
02nd January, 2019 (last edited: 16th January, 2019)

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

Both this and the original EDT (particularly the latter) remind me of Jean Paul Gaultier’s Le Male, but I would say the Guerlains are more refined. I prefer the EDP to the EDT.
02nd January, 2019

L'Homme Idéal by Guerlain

I think this is quite sweet, probably from the almond in the Amaretto accord, although somehow I think of strawberries, and this makes me think of a similar accord I get from Paco Rabanne Black XS. Possibly the tonka and orange blossom are contributing to the sweetness too.

I prefer the EDP to this, but it is still a nice, good quality fragrance.
02nd January, 2019

Voyage by Nautica

Yes, Nautica Voyage is a very agreeable fresh aquatic. Yes, I smell the apple in the top notes. Yes, I think it is better than Cool Water. Yes, it is cheap, which is an added bonus. Yes, it is worth adding to my collection.
28th December, 2018

Very Irrésistible for Men Fresh Attitude by Givenchy

I would describe this as both fresh and nutty, an interesting juxtaposition.
17th December, 2018 (last edited: 03rd January, 2019)

Pi by Givenchy

This is a good one. It seems to have a seamless transition from top through to base. That is, the opening is sufficiently soft and doesn't stand out so as to smell completely different as it dries down. However, I must say that the vanilla stands out nicely but is not overpowering (at least I know what that smells like).

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

I like this. Yes, it is a powdery citrus. (Not too many fragrances seem to contain a lime note.)

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Very simple construction according to the notes listed here: bergamot, geranium and patchouli. I really like the bergamot opening, and the middle and base notes are ok, so I will just give a neutral rating for this one. Although I own this, it is not one of my favourites.

Silver Shadow Altitude by Davidoff

Fresh spiciness adorns the opening, and to my nose also a soft honey accord. Pleasant, and as has been brought out by other reviewers, very different to the original Silver Shadow. Not a long-lasting scent, though.
12th December, 2018

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

This certainly is delightful and delicious! Really fresh, with a hint of peppery spice in the opening. Also, I noticed a tinge of "soapiness". I consider this one of the best I own, and naturally it will be worn more than others in my collection.
11th December, 2018

Wings for Men by Wings

Cool Water with a “smokey” twist.
04th December, 2018

Joop! Thrill Men by Joop!

Sweet spicy powder. Not a great scent, but it's not bad either.
04th December, 2018

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This is one of the two most powerful colognes I have ever smelled, the other being Amouage Gold. No wonder men clear elevators with this. I don’t mind it; however, I prefer B*Men. A*Men continues to remind me of are a particular brand of glue we used in Primary School, and a young lady at work today said it smelt like her grandmother’s wardrobe, neither of which comparisons need be detrimental to this totally unique smell. Did I say unique? In connection with a Mugler fragrance? Nah… Can’t be!!
19th December, 2012

Noble Cedar by Chopard

Today to work I wore Aramis, this, and Casmir of the same house, both the latter being brand new purchases but the Aramis being one of my earlier ones. As each one wafted up from my neck, chest and wrists respectively as I typed away, I couldn't help but think how perfectly this olfatory trio suited my mood today. A final repeat spray of Noble Cedar before enjoying a roast lamb dinner at a local Sports Club went down nicely, though I was already convinced that this was something above average. It is rich, creamy, woody and smoky and I like it a lot. I shall now go and put on some Gaultier² and watch "Driving Miss Daisy". Night night.
12th December, 2012

Rose The One by Dolce & Gabbana

I actually prefer this to the original and find the smell comforting. In my opinion, Rose the One is another expertly crafted and high quality perfume from Dolce & Gabbana. The rose is there, but it is attractively understated and creatively flanked by the tartness of the fruits (probably the grapefruit mostly). This is all softened and sweetened by the other flowers and the musk and vanilla.

Along with the new D&G Pour Femme and the original ladies’ D&G from twenty years ago, this scent to me demonstrates an absolute synthesis and perfection of form which can only be obtained by a perfumer who has dedicated much time and thought into creating something of great beauty and feminine dignity.
30th November, 2012

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

Clean, soapy and with just a hint of spice, this is without a hint of a doubt a very beautiful perfume, which explains why this always attracts a high purchase price. It is seamless and perfectly balanced. An olfactory masterpiece that should—and I dare say will—last forever. Emphatically a thumbs up!
27th November, 2012

Volupté by Oscar de la Renta

This harmonious and very well balanced perfume for me is a three-way paradox. First, I think it’s sweet and juicy but dry. Secondly, it is a soft fragrance but also rich and strong. Finally, it reminds me of boiled peanuts and sweet bananas, but I don’t feel like eating it. Do I like it? Yes, as well as the bottle it comes in (but darn that tricky lid).
24th November, 2012

Romance Summer Blossom by Ralph Lauren

A fairly unremarkable fruit and flower mix, softened agreeably with vanilla.
24th November, 2012

A*Men Pure Energy / A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

For me this is heaven! I adore the combination of the delectable coolness of the mint, the woodsy bittersweetness provided by the sequoia and juniper and the tempered spiciness from the white pepper. I associate it with winter. It’s cool and warm at the same time, like sitting in front of the fire with snow falling outside. Comes with Mugler’s signature potency.

I am unfamiliar with the rest of the A*Men “Pure” range, so I’m afraid I cannot compare.

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

I concur with Meg2005 from 5 years ago that it is similar to SJP’s Lovely, only better, as she also points out. This is an unusual and reasonably lively combination of florals, with the magnolia and lily of the valley and maybe orange (as far as I can tell) providing a slightly and almost pleasantly musty smell. This mustiness reminds me of an uncle and aunt's house from my childhood. Was it the somewhat comforting smell of the wicker furniture my aunt liked to collect? Probably it was a combination of things. You know how each house/household seems to have its own peculiar smell?

A limited knowledge of a half dozen or so Lanvin scents has led me to believe that the quality of this house's offerings is a bit uneven, but then there are more than 40 that I haven't smelt yet!

Dolce & Gabbana pour Femme (new) by Dolce & Gabbana

This is lovely; the nicest treatment of vanilla I have ever smelt: vanilla with flowers, fruit and marshmallows. The closest thing I can think of is JPG's Fleur du Male, but this is even nicer. It is softer, which is appropriate, seeing as we are talking about a lady's perfume here (not to discount Fleur du Male's femininity). It may also be a good sweet fragrance for those that don't like things too sweet (? tangerine and raspberry as mediators). Quite possibly a masterpiece.

Hugo Just Different by Hugo Boss

It took me a while to "get" this, but I think I have now. Just Different has a fresh herbal opening, with a curious "grey" or "blunt" middle/base that reminds me of plasticine or something a bit earthy (for lack of a better knowledge of what olibanum or labdanum smell like—or the other base notes for that matter), but there is no dryness. This is certainly something a little unusual that I would probably have to be in the right mood to wear and enjoy. I look forward to adding this to my Hugo Boss collection.

Live Luxe by Jennifer Lopez

A fresh and somewhat sweet fruit bomb! I especially love the mouth-watering pear and peach accord in the top notes. These are two of my favourite fruits.

I am disliking just a little the combination with the florals in the heart and the base notes, but perhaps the top fruit notes proved difficult to mix. I often think that the more attractive and fresh a fragrance's opening, the harder it is to give it more substance as it wears; indeed, perhaps that is the way it should be. I think this fragrance has compensated quite marvellously, though, by giving us a good strong dose of fruit that seems to last quite well.

I like this better than the original Live.
22nd November, 2012