Reviews by Andyman

Andyman's avatar
    Andyman

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This is one of the two most powerful colognes I have ever smelled, the other being Amouage Gold. No wonder men clear elevators with this. I don’t mind it; however, I prefer B*Men. A*Men continues to remind me of are a particular brand of glue we used in Primary School, and a young lady at work today said it smelt like her grandmother’s wardrobe, neither of which comparisons need be detrimental to this totally unique smell. Did I say unique? In connection with a Mugler fragrance? Nah… Can’t be!!

19 December, 2012

Noble Cedar by Chopard

Today to work I wore Aramis, this, and Casmir of the same house, both the latter being brand new purchases but the Aramis being one of my earlier ones. As each one wafted up from my neck, chest and wrists respectively as I typed away, I couldn't help but think how perfectly this olfatory trio suited my mood today. A final repeat spray of Noble Cedar before enjoying a roast lamb dinner at a local Sports Club went down nicely, though I was already convinced that this was something above average. It is rich, creamy, woody and smoky and I like it a lot. I shall now go and put on some Gaultier² and watch "Driving Miss Daisy". Night night.

12 December, 2012

Rose The One by Dolce & Gabbana

I actually prefer this to the original and find the smell comforting. In my opinion, Rose the One is another expertly crafted and high quality perfume from Dolce & Gabbana. The rose is there, but it is attractively understated and creatively flanked by the tartness of the fruits (probably the grapefruit mostly). This is all softened and sweetened by the other flowers and the musk and vanilla.

Along with the new D&G Pour Femme and the original ladies’ D&G from twenty years ago, this scent to me demonstrates an absolute synthesis and perfection of form which can only be obtained by a perfumer who has dedicated much time and thought into creating something of great beauty and feminine dignity.

30th November, 2012

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

Clean, soapy and with just a hint of spice, this is without a hint of a doubt a very beautiful perfume, which explains why this always attracts a high purchase price. It is seamless and perfectly balanced. An olfactory masterpiece that should—and I dare say will—last forever. Emphatically a thumbs up!

27 November, 2012

Volupté by Oscar de la Renta

This harmonious and very well balanced perfume for me is a three-way paradox. First, I think it’s sweet and juicy but dry. Secondly, it is a soft fragrance but also rich and strong. Finally, it reminds me of boiled peanuts and sweet bananas, but I don’t feel like eating it. Do I like it? Yes, as well as the bottle it comes in (but darn that tricky lid).

24 November, 2012

Romance Summer Blossom by Ralph Lauren

A fairly unremarkable fruit and flower mix, softened agreeably with vanilla.

24 November, 2012

A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

For me this is heaven! I adore the combination of the delectable coolness of the mint, the woodsy bittersweetness provided by the sequoia and juniper and the tempered spiciness from the white pepper. I associate it with winter. It’s cool and warm at the same time, like sitting in front of the fire with snow falling outside. Comes with Mugler’s signature potency.

I am unfamiliar with the rest of the A*Men “Pure” range, so I’m afraid I cannot compare.

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

I concur with Meg2005 from 5 years ago that it is similar to SJP’s Lovely, only better, as she also points out. This is an unusual and reasonably lively combination of florals, with the magnolia and lily of the valley and maybe orange (as far as I can tell) providing a slightly and almost pleasantly musty smell. This mustiness reminds me of an uncle and aunt's house from my childhood. Was it the somewhat comforting smell of the wicker furniture my aunt liked to collect? Probably it was a combination of things. You know how each house/household seems to have its own peculiar smell?

A limited knowledge of a half dozen or so Lanvin scents has led me to believe that the quality of this house's offerings is a bit uneven, but then there are more than 40 that I haven't smelt yet!

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Femme (new) by Dolce & Gabbana

This is lovely; the nicest treatment of vanilla I have ever smelt: vanilla with flowers, fruit and marshmallows. The closest thing I can think of is JPG's Fleur du Male, but this is even nicer. It is softer, which is appropriate, seeing as we are talking about a lady's perfume here (not to discount Fleur du Male's femininity). It may also be a good sweet fragrance for those that don't like things too sweet (? tangerine and raspberry as mediators). Quite possibly a masterpiece.

Hugo Just Different by Hugo Boss

It took me a while to "get" this, but I think I have now. Just Different has a fresh herbal opening, with a curious "grey" or "blunt" middle/base that reminds me of plasticine or something a bit earthy (for lack of a better knowledge of what olibanum or labdanum smell like—or the other base notes for that matter), but there is no dryness. This is certainly something a little unusual that I would probably have to be in the right mood to wear and enjoy. I look forward to adding this to my Hugo Boss collection.

Live Luxe by Jennifer Lopez

A fresh and somewhat sweet fruit bomb! I especially love the mouth-watering pear and peach accord in the top notes. These are two of my favourite fruits.

I am disliking just a little the combination with the florals in the heart and the base notes, but perhaps the top fruit notes proved difficult to mix. I often think that the more attractive and fresh a fragrance's opening, the harder it is to give it more substance as it wears; indeed, perhaps that is the way it should be. I think this fragrance has compensated quite marvellously, though, by giving us a good strong dose of fruit that seems to last quite well.

I like this better than the original Live.

22 November, 2012

Live Platinum by Jennifer Lopez

Like a fresher, fruitier and lighter version of Marc Jacob's Lola, with a touch of his Daisy in there too. Possibly the best in the JLo Live series.

17 November, 2012

Alberta Ferretti by Alberta Ferretti

Definitely dominated by a soft and sweek muskiness, as blood-orange puts it. Although it does not contain musk, it reminds me of Opium pour Homme; it gives the same sweet musky impression. I like it.

17 November, 2012

Happy Spirit by Chopard

It's nice. It's a refreshing and light floral, with the floral element toned down and not overstated. The florals aside, for me it is more fresh than fruity, but is that a paradox? Is it the fruitiness that endows it with freshness? Anyhow, its zingy freshness is similar to that found in Burberry Weekend for Men. Also slightly reminiscent of Noa Fleur by Cacharel, which I adore.

16 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 November, 2012)

Noa Fleur by Cacharel

I absolutely love this! But then I just love florals! Like Allison_R. said, it's lovely and soft and smooth but with good longevity. The other ingredients combine with the rose and peony to give it a very pleasing prettiness. I can't detect any coffee, though. It also shares a certain similary with Marc Jacob's Lola, which is another excellent perfume, incidentally also containing peony and rose. Like it and Marc Jacob's Daisy, Noa Fleur is probably something I could smell every day and never tire of.

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

This is a new item I discovered at the chemist about a week ago. Upon spraying it on a tester card I immediately said "yuck" and was horrified that any perfumer would make something that smells like this. However, always with an open mind and having since learnt that Mugler produces the most unusual and powerful concoctions, I am one week later finding myself fascinatingly attracted to it. Once the initial pungency tapers off it becomes sweeter and "nicer".

Mr Mugler, you are an olfactory pioneer! Well done!

Unforgivable by Sean John

Salt and oranges is what I get from this, perhaps the former accounting for the "sea moss" ingredient. Although I own this, I do not consider it one of my best.

Villain for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Yes, it is very similar to Dolce and Gabbana The One for Men, which is one of my all-time favourites. Whereas D&G might be a bit more watery and sweet as it develops, I think Villan is a bit drier and also less sweet, with the spices and perhaps woodiness underlying things more as it develops.

15 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 November, 2012)

Alien Essence Absolue by Thierry Mugler

I really liked this and considered buying it, until I smelt the drydown. This was not a bad thing: it just smelled like a cross between JPG's Fleur de Male and Kenzo Amour Florale EDT, both of which I own, so I did not see any point in obtaining it after all. I do like it better than the original Alien. (Need I say it is very floral.)

Correction: I think the drydown of the original Alien smells more like than Fleur du Male and Amour Florale than this (did I get my tester cards mixed up??). On smelling this again a few days later, I note a strong vanilla presence, and I thought it also contained food like caramel, but I am obviously mistaken.

13 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 November, 2012)

Bang Bang by Marc Jacobs

Very nice, even nicer than just Bang. It's softer.

25 October, 2012

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Fresh, warm, seductive—there is just something special about Armani Code; so special, in fact, that this became my second signature fragrance (the first one being Joop! Homme). Elegant and classy (and not just the smell; the bottle is very stylish too), this is, in my opinion, the best Armani men's fragrance ever and a masterpiece among men's fragrances in general.

Although I have had reservations about paying the high price any Giorgio Armani fragrance attracts, not so Code; it is worth every cent.

03 March, 2009

Elements by Hugo Boss

Although I had smelt it before and already liked it, it wasn't until I read Andrewthecologneguy's review that it occurred to me that Boss Elements smells like Davidoff's Cool Water, just a bit "dirtier" (perhaps warmer would be a better term).

It has a nice citrus opening and comes in a beautiful brown glass bottle. Note the plum in the top and heart notes—very few men's fragrances contain this ingredient.

03 March, 2009

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

My new number one fragrance! Sweet, spicy and clean. Delicious!

01st March, 2009

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Despite all the bad reviews, I am certain that there are more people who like this scent than these reviews indicate. It is certainly a popular choice in this part of the world (Queensland, Australia), and is one of my all-time favourites. Joop! Homme was also my very first signature scent—and the only one I wore for years.

I guess the motto "try before you buy" would apply if you haven't smelt this one before.

In my opinion, this is a classic—a view shared by Basenotes (see top).

01st March, 2009