Reviews by x-man

x-man's avatar
    x-man
    Serbia Serbia

Eau de Sisley 1 by Sisley

This reminds me of Diorella. However, the original by Dior has more prominent yasmin than Sisley. Both scents are very similar in its execution - yasmin added totraditional cologne. Really good stuff stylish and timeless. Too bad it is not more original.

16 March, 2011

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Reading posts about daring buys in leather jackets, rebels without cause who would wear this scent.

It is incredible what clever marketing can do.

You see, this is almost exactly the same as the Cussons Imperial Leather, a scent originating from 18th century when it was chosen to be the perfume of the Russian Court.

The rendition of this famous scent by Juicy Couture called Dirty English is really, really good. I love it.

16 March, 2011

Kenzo Pour Homme Boisée / Woody by Kenzo

I love the thing and I am in my late 30-ies.

The new Kenzo is suitable for office wear in my opinion as it offers fresh and clean radiation. Longevity is totally fine with me and belive me, I am quite sensitive about that. I was not sure about that mint note that sits at the top but I grew to like it a lot. This thing smells quite differently than my other scents.

It was one of those impulsive buys that I feel happy about.

23 February, 2011

Vétyver by Roger & Gallet

Simple, yet lovely vetyver. Each time I get out of the shower I spray it all over me. It is clean, pleasant, well composed and refined. Makes me feel good and refreshed each time I apply it. My kids love it too. Longevity is short but I don't care, its main purpose is to make you feel good about yourself.

11th July, 2009

Rochas Lui by Rochas

This is quickly becoming my favorite fragrance. It is so special that it sometimes makes my favorite Givenchy Gentleman feel as a mainstream scent.

I am using this during the evening and on special occasions and I can tell you that I smell like no one in my vicinity. It feels so different despite the patchouli presence. These days, I sense patchouli everywhere.

Very masculine and very special scent. Makes you feel confident, classy and unique. It lasts very long on my skin.

And the bottle is stylish, very 70-ties which I like a lot.

This is a true gem.

30th May, 2009

YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration by Yves Saint Laurent

Now this one is something else. Wear this, and you will feel as a shady character from Paris underground life, half way between being legal citizen and a pure criminal.

But never without a style.

This water is extremely decadent and different than anything else you have tried before. Be wary about the girls that find this scent attractive... they will steal your heart and toss it to the crocodiles tomorrow, only if they find out you can't keep up with them...

Nothing can make you feel so clean and so "dirty" at the same time as YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration. You will feel like a real man, from the real world. Unlike some unsecure mama's boy seeking new trends and constantly finding yourself. If you don't feel like a man yet, this thing will make a man out of you. Remember, you don't spray it, you wear it like Don Corleone wears the tuxedo on his daughter's wedding day.

Definite macho scent. Lay down your weapons Antaeus.

17 May, 2009

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Am I wrong when I say that perfume companies do not make scents like this any more? I mean... this thing is something else. Where I live, people tend not to give comments on how do you smell, weather you are smelling good or bad. But this is one of those rare scents that generates comments. And they are all positive, coming from both sexes. The Russian leather note in Gentleman is at the same time elegant, decadent and distinctive enough so that you instantly feel like one. I hope they never stop producing this scent. It is one of my signature scents from the moment I tried it. Big thumbs up.

17 May, 2009

Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet

Almost identical to 4711 and I love them both. Colognes that can change your mood from bad to good. Probably the only scents that boost the feeling of freshness once you get out of the shower... You have to appreciate that.

The longevity of Jean Marie Farina is somewhat better in comparison to 4711. I might be wrong on that one. However, for some strange reason, I don't mind that.

A timeless classic.

04 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 May, 2009)

1881 by Cerruti

Cerruti 1881 is easily my No.1 choice for daytime wear during spring and summer. Its powdery sweet bergamot, lemon and rosemary Mediteranean style makes me feel comfortable and at the same time, very special. It is great as an office wear but you will love it for all casual occasions. This powdery effect is actually what makes it interesting since you would expect it to be sharper to your nose. I tend not to like powdery feeling in my scents but this one is right on the money.

I prefer Cerruti 1881 over Chanel Pour Monsieur due to its longevity. However, Chanel is definitely more complex and refined.

Still, 1881 is a scent that you simply need to have if you want to feel like those Italian guys driving scooters in the movie Roman Holiday.

03 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2009)

Versace l'Homme by Versace

This is definitely a big scent, spirit of the 80-ties in abundance. When I was in a shop, I sprayed Versace l'Homme on my right wrist, Cerutti 1881 on my left and spent the next couple of hours in the shopping mall, sniffing both of them every now and then. For some reason, I did not like the opening of Versace l'Homme. Too harsh to my nose. At one point, some 60 minutes later to be exact, it turned into a Kouros clone which was quite a surprise to me. Ok... I am one of the Kouros fans, I like its originality and bold character. However, buying this Versace sounded as if I am buying a replacement for the original. Having said that, I admit that I wanted to like this one. Sadly, I am not so impressed. I ended up buying the Cerruti 1881...

23 February, 2009

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A nice girl sprayed this on my hand while I was at a huge store in Barcelona. I loved it so much that I had to find her again and ask her what was the fragrance. On a way back to Belgrade, I bought a 100ml bottle of YSL L'Homme at Rome airport. Now I am not sure about it. To my nose, is smells as a lighter version of DUNE (by Dior). In my book that is not a good thing. I mean, DUNE was a really big thing for me back in the late 90-ties and I loved wearing it in the evening but... I have not sprayed it for a good 10 years. The bottle is still almost full. The magic is gone. The magic of YSL L'Homme lasted much shorter.

22 February, 2009

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought YSL M7 according to the reviews here at Basenotes. While I was in the shop (Sephora) there were no testers for M7, just for M7 FRESH which I liked a lot. Despite that, I have bought the original version. At first, I did not relate to this scent. For my nose, it was somewhat old fashioned, which I like but that was it. However, my wife liked it a lot and she is very picky about these things. She could not stop smelling it off of me. In time, I really learned to appreciate YSL M7 and the warm, special feeling it creates for me. I guess this scent has to grow on you and that is something I like and respect. I am usually very cautions about all things that I like at first sight (sniff), simply because they tend to become boring too soon. This one is right on the money... huge, "expensive", makes you feel special and different. It is not an office wear, save it for special occasions. Also, the longevity is very good.

22 February, 2009