Reviews by monsieur_sparkle

monsieur_sparkle's avatar
    monsieur_sparkle

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

Yum. I have the older version of 1740, and it's like a Lutens-esque oriental done right. Loads of honey, dried fruit, and tobacco, with a nice, tasteful dose of cumin, leather, and other spices. Very nice oriental, though it may be too over the top for some. Personally, I love it. It's kind of like a more extreme version of the Parfum d'Empire's Ambre Russe. Has nothing to do with the historical Marquis de Sade, for better or for worse !

18th August, 2011

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Cool, I liked the spicy peppery opening. It's good for about 20 minutes, then it all fades away to bald Iso-E Super. Nothing wrong with that particular aromachemical, but it is extremely cheap and disappointing when that is all that is left of the fragrance after less than half an hour. So damn lazy and weak.

01st June, 2011

United Colors of Benetton Man by Benetton

Saw a bottle of this juice while waiting in line to check out at Marshalls. Cost was 10 bucks. Box was already open. I said, "what the hell."

United Colors of Benetton Man starts out with a very sweet, minty candy scent. Unfortunately, within seconds this harsh, monstrously loud synthetic woody note rises out of the candied depths like Swamp Thing from the primordial muck. The minty candy gets weaker and weaker and the "woods," which actually smell more like a really strong, really noxious rubbing alcohol, get stronger and stronger until finally you can take it no longer and scrub off this atrocity of a scent.

You can find a lot of good scents at really good prices at Marshalls. Quorum and Azzaro Man immediately come to mind. Unfortunately, United Colors of Benetton Man does fall into that category.

27th May, 2011

Incense Extrême by Tauer

Cold, metallic incense. Like razor blades dipped in resin. After an hour or two Incense Extreme loses the metallic vibe and gradually gets muskier, creamier. Overall this fragrance is weird, unfriendly, and slightly repulsive.

12th April, 2011

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

This, ladies and gents, is one of the most underrated perfumes in the fragrance world. Warm, smoky, and slightly lemony incense with that dusty undercurrent that top-shelf frankincense from Oman is known for is flawlessly framed on one end by deliciously spicy notes of pepper, and by mellow balsamic woods on the other. It's entirely delicious, and I've never smelt such a high quality frankincense note anywhere in perfumery - not in Amouage, not in Tauer, and certainly not in CdG. Not only that, but the supporting players do a perfect job of highlighting the beauty of the frankincense.

If you're enough of a frag aficionado to be browsing this site, then you owe it to yourself to at least try Bois d'Encens. Yes, even if you don't like so-called incense frags.

08th April, 2011

Eau Lente by Diptyque

Indian spices? NO. Just clove. Enough clove to choke a dentist, and I say that as an admirer of cloves -- in the right context (and dilution). However, give this frag an hour, and it develops into the most gorgeous, resinous, dry, dusty oppoponax imaginable.

This phase of Eau Lente is simply beautiful, and it lasts and lasts. It's worth waiting through the cloves to get to the oppoponax, but still, one wishes Diptyque could have come up with more appealing topnotes for this frag.

Anyway, a slightly hesitant thumbs up for me, although I suggest staying as far away from Eau Lente as possible if you're clovephobic.

03rd April, 2011

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

Gotta revise my opinion of this one. Hated it at first because it's fairly weak, doesn't last long, and smells nothing like the excellent Kouros, but after giving it a few wearings I've come to like it.

It's a weak, inoffensive scent for someone who hates weak scents. It's fresh and citrusy, but underneath it all is just a tiny bit of spice and skank to give it some appeal and remind you just a little bit of the original Kouros. Smells pretty good and it's easy to wear; it's a good choice for an atmosphere where people are sensitive to fragrance.

Still not as good as the real thing but it's nice, I approve. I get much better longevity out of it if I spray it under my shirt. If you want a lighter version of special K, try to hunt down the tragically discontinued Kouros Fraicheur, but if you're interested in a "light / fresh" scent that doesn't smell like air conditioning, this is a pretty good choice.

19th March, 2011

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

First, I have something to confess: I'm crazy for sweets. I love ice cream, candy, cake, pie, you name it. And I'm also a sucker for fragrances that smell like the sweet stuff. So naturally, when I first tried out Gaultier2 - which reeks of bubblegum, milkshakes, and vanilla pudding - I had to have a bottle. That's when the trouble began...

After wearing the stuff for three days, I got sick. For the whole weekend I was stuck in my bedroom guzzling down nyquil. Of course blaming it all on poor G2 would be unscientific, maybe it was allergies or the flu or whatever. So last night I did an experiment. I was in perfect health so I took a spritz of G2. The results? Migraine. Nausea. Vomiting.

I don't know what kind of crazy neurotoxins Kurkdjian put in this stuff, but it's BAD. I mean chemical warfare in a bottle bad. I wish I were exaggerating, cause I really liked G2 at first, but I think you could probably kill a crowd of people by breaking open a bottle of this stuff in public.If Al-Quaeda gets their hands on G2, western civilization is finished.

Please, for the love of god, don't wear it.

06th April, 2009

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

Straight to Heaven is loaded with lots and lots of patchouli, wood and sugary sweetness, all reeking of quality, plus an odd blast of spice that hit my nose about half an hour after application. It all adds up to a very sensual masculine fragrance (technically unisex, but I think this is more masculine than many male-marketed sweet scents) that gives the impression of a celestial being on the prowl, or at the least a very rich and sophisticated bad boy.

After awhile the spicy notes fade out, leaving you with some nice and very natural-smelling sweet patchouli touched with musk. Longevity is adequate, but by the end of the day all that's left of this fragrance is a skin scent of sweet white musk. More lasting power would be nice, but I suppose that's one of the drawbacks of working with natural ingredients.

I like Straight to Heaven and I'm glad I got a chance to sample it. Anyone who has a taste for sweet, high-quality masculine frags should definitely give it a go.

02nd April, 2009

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Top Notes: Spiced Vomit
    Heart Notes: Dishwashing Detergent, Mold
    Base Notes: Soiled Laundry

Can't understand all the thumbs up here, maybe I sniffed the flanker, Weekend in Hell, by mistake? This stuff smells like a guy who drank spiced rum all night and then crashed out while vomiting in a hamper full of dirty laundry. This is by far the most vile fragrance I've ever smelled. What was Burberry thinking? Shoulda been called Satan's Batchelor Pad or Eau de Vomitorium.

31st March, 2009 (Last Edited: 03rd April, 2009)

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Awesome oriental. Starts with a sweet, creamy fruity smell but before long a licorice / anise note that reminds me of Lolita Lempicka au Masculin takes over. Aside from both having anise, vanilla, and a fantasyland kinda vibe, LL and Douce Amere smell totally different; Lolita is more eccentric and in a way childlike with all its crazy off the wall green and boozy notes bouncing around. Douce Amere seems to me more sobre, mature and refined with its light woods and spices and a gentle sweetness that transports me to another world. The anise in Douce Amere isn't as over the top either, it has its say and then contentedly fades away into the heavenly vanilla cinnamon drydown. I love it and will probably save up for a bottle.

31st March, 2009