Reviews by Uppercut

Uppercut's avatar
    Uppercut

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

It opens with a buttery rum battlecry, and then settles into an earthy flatline of muted patchouli. This patchouli midnotes are also haloed by a menthol-esque aura that stings the nose, even well into the drydown. It's actually cooling my nose with every sniff of my wrist.

Let me be clear - I dislike patchouli and find nothing attractive about smelling like a person's unbathed lower navel or armpit. This patchouli is different though. Its not as nefarious, but and not as offensive, but its still unpleasant to my nose. In the drydown its made more interesting with the aforementioned menthol/cedar kiss (which smells like something that would scare moths in your closet). But there is also an inky and ashy poweder to this.

Is it interesting? Yes. . . but so is Gitmo. . .doesn't mean i want to spend time there.

There are some who'll love this, and that's ok. . as long as they don't mind eating alone.

14 April, 2009

FCUK Him by French Connection

For a $14 purchase, including bodywash, at TJ Maxx, this was a great buy. Some complain that it's too synthetic. Maybe it is. . but it smells damn good. the Lavendar and Vanilla immediately surround you and playfully slap you across the face beforeswirling around your body. I wore this last night on my right forearm at TJ Maxx and immediatley knew it was a MUST BUY. Hours later, I was still in bed with that one spray generating enough scent for me to wave my arm under my nose.

So far I really like it, and would pay full price for it if I had to. It's not a formalwear scent, but its somthing you can put on for the office without offending and spray yourself with on your way out the door to hang out with friends or a girl.

10th April, 2009

Castile by Penhaligon's

Love at first smell. This frag is one of those once-in-a-couple-years scents that makes you pause like Indiana Jones did when he laid eyes on the golden idol statue in the cave. Oft compared to AdP Colonia (and its Assoluta sibling), this frag is even better, which is saying something since I absolutely love the AdP colognes and have worn them religiously for years.

On my skin, this frag has staying power and transforms from a bright neroli opening into a mindblowingly pleasant musk. It's not a white musk or a dirty musk - its a refined and comforting, distinctive musk. But it is NOT musky. It is the kind of scent that makes you want to nestle your head and stuff your nose into your own neck. . . oh. to be a flamingo and be able to do such things!

In addition to AdP Colonia's opening, the drydown actually reminds me of Dunhill Man (tonka bean 2004 frag) - not necessarily in scent, but in the emotion it gives - comfort, soothing, distinction.

From opening through drydown this is both sophisticatedly noble and classy, yet liberating and invigorating. You're not the Crown Prince, with the weight of history and your country's future on your shoulders. Rather, you're his youngest sibling. All the aristocracy of your older sibling, but none of his responsibility. Go play, Young Man1 Fly planes and drive roadsters with one hand on the wheel and the other holding a flask! Ride horses without a saddle, holding onto nothing but the beast's man!!. Date whoever you want and then tell them "mother would never approve" when you inevitably get bored of their lack of complexity.

You're a lucky SOB and you know it. You couldn't have it any better.Castiiiiiiile!

08 April, 2009