Reviews by moss1310

Oudh Noir by Angela Flanders

Every scent I have tried from this house surprises me. They seem to be well-crafted works that can stand with any other high-end niche maker. Oudh Noir is no exception. It's certainly not as potent as pure oud oil, but it does no harm to the note. Rich and earthy, slightly sweet, and a little feral. To my nose, the oud is layered wonderfully with patchouli and vetiver. I also get something a little sweet and herbaceous. Maybe juniper berry. A dark, intriguing and sexy scent, better for nightime than day IMO. Listed here as a feminine but it is truly unisex.
23rd August, 2010

L'Eau du Navigateur by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The first L'Artisan fragrance that seems to last more than an hour on my skin. Also the most bold and intriguing in the line. Opens with a deep, dark coffee blast, without being foody. Rich woods, incense, and a hash like smell then mingle together, in and out until it finally calms down to light tobacco and woods. I don't know if I'd buy a bottle, but I would certainly consider it.
23rd August, 2010

Guerlain Homme L'Eau by Guerlain

A great everyday scent. Sophisticated in the classic Guerlain sense, but modern as well.To my nose, it opens with bright, clean citrus. I don't detect the mintiness of regular GH in L'eau. It then transforms into a rich, woody wetiver scent. A wonderful addition to the Guerlain's masculine library.
13th August, 2010

Vanithé by Nez à Nez

Cheap smelling is right! The verbena opening is too sweet. The tea that comes in isnt dark enough to balance the whole thing out. Yes, it does settle down in about 20 minutes and luises the sweet lemon tea vibe, but the sweet-woody-vanilla base still isnt something I would want to wear.
07th July, 2010

Opoponax / Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides

An opening of wonderful opoponax that quickly dissipates. What follows is a sweet and spicy arange creamsicle scent that is pretty vile and almost makes it unwearable. The drydown bounces the scent back from nauseating though. A rich, warm, resinous vanilla. Unfortunately, it isn't enough to save the scent completely.
07th July, 2010

L'Anarchiste by Caron

L'Anarchiste gets a lot of buzz, so I was very eager to try it. I'm glad that I traded for a sample and didn't do a blind buy. I agree with all comments about spiced apples and cheap potpourri. I also imagine one of those inexpensive scented candles that you can buy at any dollar store in the U.S. Maybe this one would be called "Christmas Celebration" or "Holiday Spice". Surprisingly generic and fairly linear on my skin.
23rd June, 2010

Calypso Figue by Calypso Christiane Celle

I agree with bforthefall. Not much fig here at all. At first spray I get a little fig and stem, but it quickly turns into Chocolate, Coffee, and amber. Definitely will not replace Philosykos!
27th April, 2010

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

There isn't much to say about A la Nuit except that is an amazing, intoxicating, modern rendition of Jasmine. It isn't the sweet, powdery jasmine that so many scents mimic. It is indolic, forceful, cool summer at dawn jasmine. I find it to be a completely acceptable unisex floral as well. One of my SL favorites.
14th April, 2010

Figuier / Fig / Eau de Figuier by Heeley

My impressions of this mirror foetidus. Too me it is not fruity and is almost pure fig leaf and stem. Very green with the hint of the fruit that comes out in the leaves. I do actually get a hint of the lime, which does add some interest, but this is a true fig leaf scent on me., Although it is beautiful, modern, and like all Heeley's very well made and constructed, it doesnt hold my interest as fig leaf isn't one of my top favorite notes. If you are a fan, this one is for you though.
08th April, 2010

Cefiro by Floris

hmm....to me it is just your average citrus scent. I don't get the woods, but do get a tame, toilet paper-smelling musk at the base. Not horrible, but not worth owning.
08th April, 2010

Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

This is an odd one. I can't say I hate it. I definitely can't say I love it, or even like it. No play doh here for me either. What I do get is the cherry cordial, a little almond, and a hefty dose of pipe tabacco. If this was it, then I think I would have to give a thumbs up. However, the urinal cake mentioned by NillaGoon makes this very wierd. I don't get the urine, but there is something very disinfectant about it. Probably the benzoin and spice. Glad I tried it. Would never buy it.
06th April, 2010

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I agree with the comparisons to suntan oil. Which isn't so bad. I get soft white flowers, coconut, almond, vanilla, and a bit of cherry. A little feminine, but I wouldn't mind smelling like this at a summer party. What makes me give this a nuetral is the faint smell of hair spray. With all of the other smells piled on, it really does remind me of a spray on, leave in conditioner I use, and I can get that at a much better price.
06th April, 2010

Union Square / Andy Warhol Union Square by Bond No. 9

Does this house have any outstanding scents? That being sai, Union Square is one of the more bland Bond's I have tried. Hum drum green floral that doesn't make any sort of statement.
30th March, 2010

Fleur de Santal by Sinfonia di Note

This is my favorite from Sinfonia di Note, at least of the 6 or so I have tried. It's very similar to Musc Ravageur, which I wasn't expecting at all. The main difference to me is that it opens with a cinnamon/spice blast. This is actually nice, not overwhelming at all. It then glides into a rich and creamy phase. I get vanilla and a hint of sandlewood. Then the musk comes in. Its a slightly more dirty musk than MR, but in the same vein. Very well done!
25th January, 2010

Bouquet de Bois by Sinfonia di Note

Its listed as a feminine here, but I see it more as a masculine/unisex. It seems to me like this is the house's take on a traditional cologne, all citrus and woods. The scent goes on with a blast of orange or bergamot. On my skin it is like a freshly sliced orange, which is a somewhat refreshing move away from the lemon so predominant in most male scents. The cedar then comes to the stage and takes equal billing with the citrus. Some florals slide in and out, but for me, the fragrance lives out it's moderately long life as a citrus and cedar frag. Reminds me of the Coach men's scent but at double the price. Pleasant? Yes. Unoffensive? Yes. Interesting? Not so much.

21st January, 2010

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

I agree with the naysayers here. This is just vile on my skin. Smells like pickling spices, pickiling spices, and more pickling spices!
20th January, 2010

Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

For me this opens with a a dark, dusty, liquor-y rose. Very rich and deep. Soon a powder comes in that overwhelmes everything else. The powder note in fragrances just doesnt do it for me, and this one is long and strong. At the base the powder subsides, but by this time my curiosity is gone. Not a bad scent, but so far the weakest of the Maison Francis Kukdjian's that I have tried.
01st December, 2009

Jailia by Profumi di Pantelleria

Vibert's review is spot on. Not a genre that I like or wear, but there is something gorgeous about this. Rich tropical fruits, honey, vanilla, and chocolate. Not overly sweet though. It is much more sophisticated than it's counterparts on the market. Though I won't buy this for myself, I would highly recommend to those that like this type of scent.

Mandarine / Mandarine Tout Simplement by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Just like the name implies. Very simple. Very fresh. Very mandarin. The opening is a bit too tart and sweet for me, like squeezing a fresh mandarin on my skin, but it develops into a nice,soft summer scent,

Fleur d'Oranger by L'Artisan Parfumeur

probably my favorite orange blossom scent. much more natural than TF's Neroli Portofino, not as girly as SL's Fd'O. Beautifully structured and very unisex.

Sanguine Muskissime by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

everyone is pretty spot on, so I guess it depends on what you like. Bright citrus in the beginning that leads to soapy, sweaty light musk. It isn't my cup of teas but I could see how it might be great during the oppressive heat of summer.

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

peanut butter and hemp seed oil. not bad, but not that good.
14th July, 2009

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I agree that this is a simple musk, but am surprised by how dismissive some of the other reviews are. I am a musk lover and really enjoy this. It is is no MKK, or Helmut Lang EDP, but it is nice, airy, yet sphisticated and distinctive musk. Perfect for occasions where you want to make a statement without screaming too loud.

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

What can I say that hasn't been said in the other positive reviews. This is the Holy Grail of musks. It is dirty, sexy, and unforgettable. This is a must have for every scent lover's collection.

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Wow. I was surprised by this one. To think that in 1951 a major house wasn't afraid to put something like this out! Or maybe things were more daring then. This starts off with a typical, commercial citrus zing, but quickly turns dirty and anamalic in a very good way. Although it stays fairly linear on me, I still love it. If you see this one at a good price, buy it!~

Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum by Helmut Lang

My first Helmut Lang experience was with Cuiron, which I hated. I couldn't understand what the raves were about. So I was hesitant to try this, but thank god I did. It is truly amazing. Everso's review is spot on. This is a rich, creamy, sophisticated musk. I like Musc Ravageur, but when I am in the mood for that I will go to this now. When I have it on, I can't help but sniff myself. I am sure I look ridiculous, but this scent is addictive and very unisex.

Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie

Another scent that smells like pickled pimientos to me. It opens with that vinegar and spice accord and stays, and stays, and stays. I can't wash this off my skin. I love spice, but I cant take this. These aren't fresh spices. They are old spices sitting in the kitchen cupboard for too long. Whilke I respect the opinions of those that see the complexity in thios, it just doesn't work for me!
03rd April, 2009

Oriental Lumpur by Les Néréides

I was shocked upon applying this. All I get on my skin is pickled pimientos. The kind inside of green olives. It never develops into anything more than that.
03rd April, 2009

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I agree with the naysayers here. Tom Ford the person is an interesting charachter. Part of me wants to like him for the innovation he still can show in men's fashion, part of me wants to hate him for being an opportunist and pretending to understand the nich fragrance market The hate wins with this one. Interesting at first, but nothing groundbreaking . The dry down reveals it to be a powdery scent with horrible longevity. The extreme version is much more robust if you really want a Tom Ford fragrance and don't want to pay Private Blend prices.
02nd April, 2009

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The opening is of lovely rose and saffron. Absolutely wonderful. As it dries down, vanilla comes into the picture. It is a creamy, slightly spicy vanilla. Not the sickly sweet vanilla found in so many vanilla fragrances. I'd be tempted to buy a bottle if it didn't disappear so quickly on my skin.
02nd April, 2009