Reviews by moss1310

moss1310's avatar
    moss1310

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I have to agree with moltening on this. At first it is overpowering. But the sweetnesss isn.t that nauseating sugar sweetness. It is of dried fruits. It reminds me of the filling of a particular Naan that I like that has dried fruits and coconut.

After the initial shock, the typical Lutens spices come into play. Surprisingly, I can't stop smelling myself. My body runs warm and the heat makes the scent almost glow. Amazing lasting power and sillage too.

02 April, 2009

Ambre Topkapi / PB by MDCI

I was excited to try Ambre Topkapi, which probably made muy disappointment even greater upon actually using. Luckily I will only waste the 10ml decant and not a whole bottle. The initial amber and spice blast is nice, but average. Reminds me of some Burberry scent I had years ago which I can guarantee retails for a lot less. As surreality mentions, it then settles into a dominate chypre accord which is ok, but fairly one dimensional. And that is about it. I have tried it again nulerous times to see if I am missing anything, but nope, that's it. Very pedestrian. Save your money and purchase the much better Ambre Sultan or Chergui.

25 March, 2009

Bois Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I hate to say it, but this is the first Lutens scent that I despise. From all the reviews I'm hoping it just doesn't work on my skin. The smell is so familiar, I can't pick it out. Maybe something of my gransmother's. And maybe that's it, it is too feminine. i like wood and spices, and SL does them so well, but these are too powdey and old-fashioned in Bois Oriental. I'll stick with my other SL scents.

25 March, 2009

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior

What an amazing scent this was. I bought this at the Munich airport when it first came out. I ran through my bottle so quickly and couldn't find it in the US. So wondefully fresh. Everyone is right. It was a lot of Eau Savauge with a hint of leather. I wish they would have made a super concentrated version that lasted on my skin longer.

18 March, 2009

Equistrius by Parfum d'Empire

The iris kills me with this. it really dominates the scent from about 10 seconds after I put it on, until the scent finishes. It is just too sweet and lacks depth.

Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire

I actually like this perfume house, but don't love the scent. It is definitely interesting. It hits me with fresh, tropical grass, cardamom, and coriander then gets really sweet. Almost like honey was poured over the above ingredients and the pile was left to bake in hot, humid air.

Voleur de Ciels by Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan

I loooove this! On me it opens with big jasmine and some expensibve leather or suede. it softens up with a wonderful scent of floral tea. Sounds a bit feminine, but it really works on me.

Musk to Musk by Montale

I agree with SirSlarty's review 100%. It is dusty and musty. That being said it is not horrible. The musk, when you can smell it, is pleasant. There are some nice florals. Overall though it is too light and synthetic smelling. Does anyone know of a musk that can come even close to Muscs Koublai Khan? I seem to be searching in vain.

11th March, 2009

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris

I have changed my initial review and revised my thumbs down to a huge resounding thumbs up. How our noses change.

This is one of my favorite scents. I find it utterly original and complex. It smells diffrenet on everyone so must be tried first, but if it works, then you will wear nothing else like it.

To me, it is the olfactory equivelant of walking in to a magnicant, old country estate. The dampness of the region gives it a slightly damp. musty air. But the old leather sofas, antique wood furniture, and gorgeous oriental rugs make it unique, beautiful and timelessly elegant. L'Air de Rien is like that. Once you soak it all in and let it rest, it is cozy and familiar. The oak moss and musk lend their dark familiarity, and the amber warms it up and makes it wearable for any occasion. Everyone should at least give this one a try.

11th March, 2009 (Last Edited: 25 January, 2010)

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

Ugh, this is awful. I expected the beach but got overpowering black licorice and the smell of those mosquito repelling candles. The salt smell is so faint and dies so quickly that it almost isnt worth mentioning. Not Il Profumo's best.

11th March, 2009

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

Cuir Ottoman is amazing. It opens with a strong, luxurious leather scent. The leather stays through the wear. Notes of wood and tobacco come through to me. There is a slight floral or vanilla tht begins to open up and soften it, but never makes it sweet. I have tried to many leather scents to count, and this is definitely the one that achieves complexity without betraying the essence of leather.

10th March, 2009

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

Not a bad scent, but something just doesn't catch me. The initial blast is quite nice, rich brown liquor and dried fruits, but then all I smell is very ripe plums. I agree with Asha. There are some really interesting notes underneath. Wood, leather, caramel to me. However, that fruitiness just covers them up. I think this is much better for a woman. If those hiding scents would come out more, I'd be more likely to purchase a bottle.

10th March, 2009

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

I have to agree with everso on this. I really don't get it. Leather? Smells more like rotting flowers and fruit candy and it stays sickly sweet throughout it's life. Thank god I just got a small vial. Won't be using this again.

09 March, 2009