Reviews by markc

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

I received a sample of this from a Guerlain boutique, and I wasn't expecting to like it. However, this is definitely a feminine perfume a man shouldn't have trouble pulling off. Green turning to floral it develops nicely. It is pretty close to the skin though, but it's worth a try if you find a sample.
14th January, 2008

Messe de Minuit by Etro

Some get Church Incense, some get old damp books, but I think most of what I get is musty basement, or what I would imagine an old abandoned (not tourist) castle would smell like. I love it. No, it's not for everyday wear, but it just seems very nostalgic. Super longevity, if this is Etro's EDC then if they had an EDP that would be scary. Very weird in a good way for me.
14th December, 2007

Black Aoud by Montale

Black Aoud has two major things going for it in my book. It is not hard to detect, and people absolutely notice and love it. I just wish I loved it. I find it pretty simple. I don't find it as magnificent as others. I really think Attar is way more interesting. But due to the two pluses for me, I won't swap it...yet (which I know would be extremely easy to do.)
13th December, 2007

Attar by Montale

Very appealing. Beautiful Rose/Oud combination. Very good sillage, and outstanding longevity. This leans to the masculine side and just smells very romantic. It would be great for a date to the drive-in movie after dinner at a restaurant. I recommend and it near the top of my wish list.
10th December, 2007

L'Anarchiste by Caron

Very original, but ultimately not one I'll buy again. I love the Top Notes, I do get that weird blood, clove, metallic feel. I hate the middle notes. These are also strange, but to me unpleasant. I really doubt it's the cedar, because I'm a huge fan of cedar. Finally, it dries down to musk. I do like it enough not to put on my swap list, but don't find it good enough to buy another bottle when this one's empty. Slightly above average longevity, and average sillage for me.
06th December, 2007

Aoud Pur Oriental by Montale

My favorite Montale. Oud, oud, and more oud. It's in the same vicinity as M7, but much drier, and with just the right amount of Frankincense. I've not tried any Oud oils, so I wouldn't know how to compare. This wasn't for sale very long, and I'm very happy my favorite BNer was willing to sell me this prized bottle.
05th December, 2007

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

The dry down is a bit musky. I really feel for me this is a comfort scent. It does relax me. My favorite of the Kouros's.
04th December, 2007

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

Ok, I hope I don't offend the legion of Patou Pour Homme admirers. I find it very good. I was trying to think of what this might compare to that I know, and the best I can do is it may be the more formal version of RL Safari. It exudes class. Very good longevity, decent sillage.
However, the part where I hope does not offend. I realize this is discontinued. I love it but would not consider buying it at the pretty much $200 it's being sold at if you can find it. So, in essence I think it's great but not that great. I do wonder what it sold for when it was in production.
03rd December, 2007

L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

Superb iris as others have described. Masculine. Very very close to the skin. Would be bottle worthy if it projected more.
29th November, 2007

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I'm glad I waited through 3 full wearings to put down my opinion here. I'm liking it more and more and also finding the longevity is pretty good, especially for a Creed. The first time I thought I was getting coconut and not much more, but now I'm getting more of the lime and some rum too. Overall I am starting to enjoy this.
27th November, 2007

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Dueling notes? Green? Earthy? Booze? Leather? All come to the party but none really dominate. I have to say this one works for me. The only thing keeping it out of my top 10 is less than average sillage and longevity.
26th November, 2007

Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella

Very close in my opinion to the smell of a lit cigar. This has great sillage and amazing longevity. This is a very strong tobacco frag. Unfortunately my wife despises it. I love it but don't absolutely love it that I couldn't do without it. Therefore, I am reluctantly moving to my swaplist. This is one if the few she makes just a hideous face at saying it reeks of piss.
24th November, 2007

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons

I like it (hence the thumbs up), but wish it projected more, and wish I got more wood out of it. It is very sweet as some have mentioned. I really don't think it is named very well. I would love to have something that evokes the redwood forest among the giant sequoias but this one just isn't it.
21st November, 2007

Costes by Hôtel Costes

Very nice. Spice, Clove, a bit of florals. I did walk past the Hotel Costes earlier this year. I should have stepped in to compare.
20th November, 2007

Play by Comme des Garçons

Pretty true to the notes listed. I got much of the Bitter Orange, lime, and sea notes. It is unique, especially for a citrus type scent. That said, I'm not a citrus type fan, but if I was I would definitely try. Pretty good longevity too for a citrus.

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

Generic unoriginal fresh clean. Boring!

Cristobal pour Homme by Balenciaga

Take the vanilla out add some incense and cedar and this would be pretty similar in my opinion to Azzaro Visit. I do see some similarities to Body Kouros as others do. I will say that it really warms the skin. If I didn't already have over 160 bottles in my wardrobe, I probably would spring for a bottle of this. It is a very nice price. Try it you might like it.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

In the 90's it wasn't so bad, but today after experiencing over 500 others, this just seems so generic. I have a buddy who wears only this and one other (Nautica), and I can always smell him coming without even looking at him. Should I give the rest of my bottle to him? I see him a couple of times a week, so it's kind of a dilemma. This is one of the worst in my wardrobe, but if I gave it away, I would be subjected to it about 100 times a year. It's not terrible, just boring and generic.
14th November, 2007

Chergui by Serge Lutens

I don't deny the beauty of Chergui. It is a very nicely constructed blend of honey, hay, amber, and some nice floral notes. However, I honestly find it hard to believe that is is one of the absolute favorites here if not the favorite on the entire site. This is extremely close to the skin. I completely 100% understand that some, if not most don't want to be too loud with too much projection so everyone within 20 feet of you can smell you. However, at this price tag, I really don't want to bury my nose to my wrist to try and detect it. I for one believe most Lutens' are way too potent (Arabie, Miel de Bois, etc), but this one is just way too weak. If this had let's say average sillage, it would be in my wardrobe in a second.
13th November, 2007

Black by Bulgari

Extraordinary. I honestly cannot believe there are so many different very wide ranging opinions out there. This has been my absolute favorite since first buying it in 1999. Not many others as distinct or unique. From reading some previous reviews, I'm convinced that people are smelling only what they want to smell. I definitely smell rubber, black tea, and vanilla. How some only get cloying sweet vanilla only is beyond me. I have to say, I will now study Luca Turin, because if it's in his top 10, I already have great respect for him without knowing much at all. Pure genius. 10 out of 10!
09th November, 2007

Héritage Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Very evolving. It is nice to apply, sit down, and every half hour take a sniff. It changes so much, and most of it is good. This is a pretty powerful one, so don't apply too much.
08th November, 2007

Firewood / Feu de Bois by Ava Luxe

This is after only 1 testing from a sample vial. I do have to say I wonder what could have been, because I do agree with the sythetic smelling note. I have the same problem with the Absolute version of CB Burning Leaves. On paper, this should be right up my alley. In reality, I wish it were a bit more natural smelling.
07th November, 2007

Jack Black Signature Silver Mark / Jack Black Signature by Jack Black

A good but not great one. I love the Cypress here, a bit salty smelling. Nice woodsy, average sillage and longevity. It is unique, just wish it was a bit more powerful (even though it is an EDP).
05th November, 2007

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Resides in my Top 10. I first wore this when it came out, and whenever I did friends of mine would say I was wearing the celery smelling cologne today. Not sure I ever understood that. Wonderful opening, uttlerly raw and masculine. I just wished it lasted a bit longer. I wonder how I lived without this from about 1994-2000. Will always have a bottle of this at the ready.
31st October, 2007

Eau des Îles by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Very dry and bitter. Very interesting. Smokey coffee, spices, somewhat harsh but a different harshness than slightly similar L'Artisan Navagateur, which I get a bit of a B.O. note from. The only reason I'm not looking for a bottle of it, is the fact that I'm way over quota as it is.
30th October, 2007

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I'm kind of still trying to decide what I think and like about FdA, but what I can say is that the liquer like note dominates on my skin. I don't get much pine at all (wish I did). I will say it does last long but doesn't project much. Pretty close to the skin here. I guess the best thing I can say about it is that the missus loves it. As of 3 full wearings now I could take it or leave it.
29th October, 2007

Leather by Demeter Fragrance Library

Lasts a decent time for a Demeter. However, this seems like it would be better used as a room spray or to spray in your car in place of that new car smell spray. It doesn't project off your skin much.
28th October, 2007

Black by Kenneth Cole

This is one I thought I liked until finding basenotes. After trying hundreds more, this now seems pretty inferior. It is a fresh clean smell with just a bit of suede. Easy for me to see now that this is not special or unique at all. I do get decent longevity, in contradiction to many of the reviews. Not bad, just not distinctive.
26th October, 2007

Ambre Canelle by Creed

Complex. Great evolution here. It starts out pretty heavy with something that smells a bit on the feminine side. The drydown though, as others have said, changes and often. Spice, ambergris, musk, all take turns like children on a sliding board. Decent longevity and projection.
24th October, 2007

Number Six by Caswell-Massey

I'm no fan of citrus based scents. Number Six, however appeals to me as not only because Washington wore this, but kind of puts me on a porch at a farmhouse in a rocking chair, just enjoying a cool breeze. This has a country feel to it. Poor longevity, but it's cheap so reapply.
23rd October, 2007