Reviews by sharkface

sharkface's avatar
    sharkface

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Creed released an entry into a well established scent genre (tropical) and used the things that makes creed a good house to put out a good scent. The coconut and lime notes are clear and natural. The rum and sugar base smells like an inviting mojito. There's no hint of anything chemical in this scent. It lasts a long time and the sillage is appropriate. Nothing shocking or even original in the mix, just high quality ingredients that make this scent desirable for those who like that kind of thing. It makes the whole thing a very good tropical scent.

09 May, 2009

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

I put this on yesterday and I can still smell it pretty strongly. The initial citrusy note died quickly and what is left today is what it smelled like yesterday after the top notes died down. Cloying lavender. There was no absinthe like advertised, just a weird cloying lavender. The silage is still pretty strong too. The initial notes were great, but I don't think this is something I want to smell like.

24 March, 2009

He Wood by Dsquared2

I didn't smell cedar or any kind of wood. I smelled something soapy that I couldn't quite put my finger on, but it was powerful and it made me kind of nauseous. Luckily, it wore off fairly quickly.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Maybe this scent is a great example of skin chemistry but I think it's a clear example of how noses smell things differently. I smelled like exactly what I smelled on the card. Fast Orange Industrial Cleaner. It was over powering and it was the only note I got from this cologne. Not saying it's a smell I hate, it's just not how I want to smell. It certainly is not classy.

On the other hand, my girlfriend didn't mind it. She said it smelled citrusy but had a hint of something earthy and fresh. She didn't particularly care for it compared to other colognes I wear though.

I know a lot of people like this one but I do not think it's skin chemistry that makes it different from person to person. I think a lot of people smell this one differently, so having someone think I smell like rotting oranges on a park bench, cigarettes, dirt, gasoline or bug spray is not a gamble I really want to take. If this is what you decide to wear, you will smell like industrial strength cleaning solvent to me, and I don't think skin chemistry has anything to do with that.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

It smells like chocolate chip cookie dough, sugar and lipstick. It smells so sweet it actually makes my teeth hurt.

Also, it has the silage, power and longevity of skunk musk. I have actually smelled this scent from 50 feet away on a very windy day.

Trying this on was the single worst scent experience I have ever had and I do not understand why people like a scent like this which I can only easily describe as absurdly offensive.

Touch for Men by Burberry

It starts off with a powdery violet that avoids being too sweet.

15 minutes later it calms down into a peppery middle.

finally, it ends with a musk/tonka bean combo that sticks around for hours and sits close to the skin. It's warm and simple. I love it.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

Wearing this is a great experience for as much as it smells like my pipe-smoking uncle who showed me my first copy of playboy. Once I got that thought out of my head, i could concentrate on the the strong tobacco leaf and pepper mixed with a lemon twist. The scent is much classier than my uncle was. It smells like power and class and should be worn that way. Any other way would cheapen it.

It works out really well and if I can ever find a bottle of it, I'll buy it. It seems creed has made this fragrance absurdly hard to obtain. I can't find it anywhere!

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This starts with a perfect lemony top note that doesn't let go for a long time. After it does though, it has the same essences as a freshly mowed lawn. I didn't get much of the soapy smell that other reviewers got here. It has a completely original green note which is hard to find and really separates it from comparisons with cool water. Finally, hours later, it becomes an ambery pleasure with no sillage to speak of. Bring a decant to refresh with coz the whole experience is about 3-4 hours.