Reviews by JimHeckel

JimHeckel's avatar
    JimHeckel

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I like this one a lot. Candy, candy, candy, and candy all the way through. If you like that, then you will love this one. One caution - when the other reviewers call this stuff potent, THEY AIN'T KIDDING. One shot is enough, believe me. As far as sillage is concerned, forget about cruise ships - imagine Nibiru crashing into the Pacific Ocean and you have a good idea of Joop's sillage. If you like candies / gourmands, and are prepared to go VERY lightly on the sprayer, this is your go-to scent.

25th February, 2012

Shalimar by Guerlain

I saw the reviews, and I decided to get a bottle from the local shop. Yes, I am a man, and I wear Shalimar...and I like it. It reminds me of 4711 meets Number Six meets Florida Water. Good and citrusy, sweet, and just plain nice. Not getting anything flowery from my wrist, sorry. But nice, sweet, and relaxing.

14th December, 2011

Aqua Velva Ice Blue by Williams

This stuff is cheap...yet still overpriced. Good value for the money? So is Old Rotgut Gin, yet it is still swill. If it's a good, bracing aftershave you want, get yourself some 4711 or Florida Water.

19th June, 2011

Poison by Christian Dior

Well now, this one sure does live up to its name. I like the goth stuff (I am wearing Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme right now) but this one smells like someone shoved a bunch of flowers into a bowl of Smucker's and threw in a grenade. No offense meant - to Smucker's! Someone pass me a big bucket of 4711, I need to clear out my nasal passages just thinking about this one and the memories I have of every Taylor Dane wannabe wearing it. GAAAAAH!

02nd April, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th May, 2011)

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum by Paloma Picasso

I see Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme has a little sister (I say 'little' because VC&APH came out in 1978 and this one came out in 1984). If I were to date a lady wearing this, I would be initially attracted, but would surely watch my step. Fancy, rich, and every bit as ladylike as VC&APH is gentlemanly. Someone here mentioned a cigarette-smoking mature lady in a Mercedes - that totally works, and no I am not being sarcastic either. Remember Foreigner's music video 'Say You Will' - the part where the lady was spraying on perfume? That was Paloma Picasso, I am sure of it.

03rd February, 2011

Florida Water by Murray & Lanman

This is my aftershave. First picked it up at the 7-11 (American convenience store) for three bucks. Worth it, too. No longevity, but works well after shaving and is a nice personal pick-me-up. My first impression was 'great citrus, too bad this is gone in half an hour' and I was right - BUT - what a wonderful half hour. This and 4711 are totally my favourite aftershaves.

26th September, 2010

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Nice, sweet, and really enjoyable. The scent reminds me of a candy / chocolate / coffee dessert covered with whipped cream. I wont wear this to a formal event, but its good for relaxing in a casual environment. Good scent for the price, and one I recommend to those who want to smell just plain great.

01st August, 2010

Only The Brave by Diesel

The bottle is sweet; the scent is lacking. Good for the under-21 crowd, I guess. As for me, Im sticking with my 1970s era powerhouses.

24th May, 2010

Quorum by Antonio Puig

This should be called 'New Jersey Guido'. Strong, macho, and in your face. Very powerful, very leathery, and macho enough to make Chuck Norris look like Mr Sweetchuck.

02nd May, 2010

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Edgar Allan Poe would have loved this one - dark, sweet, yet kind of nice. I just sprayed it all around my little redoubt, and it smells just perfect. It's great if you're in a goth mood - but do spare application, please, or you'll choke everyone.

[EDIT 28th August 2012] After wearing this more or less daily for two and a half years, it's safe to say that I'm hooked for life. The leather, rose, powder, and incense all work together perfectly. I always feel like a King whenever I wear it, and that's a Very Good Thing. I still like the other scents that I've reviewed, but this one will be my constant companion for as long as it's made. VC&A, if any of your reps are reading this, you need to keep this one in production in perpetuity. Seriously.

30th December, 2009 (Last Edited: 28th August, 2012)

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I wore this one all the time in junior high. The scent really takes me back. As an adult, I can appreciate it a lot more. It lasts a long time, and it smells great. Top drawer stuff.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Not bad. The blend of patcholi and sweet florals is a pretty good one. Smells like Caswell-Massey's Aura of Patchouli meets Axe's Dark Temptation bodyspray. I give it a Neutral rating - but if Guy Laroche decides to add a wee touch of Mysore sandalwood to the mix, it'd have a Thumbs Up from me.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

Good for its historic value. I often wash my hands in it. The alcohol content acts much like the alcohol in hand sanitizer, and it's a good waterless clean (though no substitute for a bath, natch). The fact that the scent has slightly less longevity than a scoop of ice cream on a fat kid's dinner plate is also a good thing - it won't interfere with my cologne. Think of this as less of a cologne and more of a hand washing solution, and you'll probably like it more.

Axe Dark Temptation / Lynx Dark Temptation by Axe / Lynx

I purchased this bodyspray about yesterday. It's pretty meh by itself, but add Caswell Massey's Aura of Patchouli cologne spray and you've gotten yourself something that smells perfect and lasts a long time. A hint about bodysprays. Spray them everyplace below your neck where you have body hair - yes, including "down there" - and it will last all day.

01st October, 2009

Verbena Harvest by L'Occitane

Okay...I honestly tried to love this one, but just couldn't. The lemonsmell is like swimming in bathroom cleaner, and it burns my skin to boot. I got it because the boutique I went to was out of Caswell Massey's Number Six, so I got this instead. Bad move. Back to the Six I go, to stay this time.

13th September, 2009

Number Six by Caswell-Massey

This one is my signature cologne - very formal and very wearable. Longevity is not an issue if you use enough of it - I use about six ounces a month - and its aroma is very calming and centering. Women could wear this as well, but only with short hair and khakis. Great frag for the money, and one I would totally recommend.

12th July, 2009

Jake by Hollister

Eh...this one tries to be spicy and woodsy, but ultimately fails at both. But then again, at the age of 35, I'm past Hollister's target market. I probably would have rated this much better if I smelled it 20 years ago.

21st June, 2009

1752 by Caswell-Massey

This one is actually pretty good. Yes, the top note is more than a little rank, hence the Neutral rating. But wait an hour and it settles down to something rich and nice. I keep a bottle in my bedroom, and use it every day.

23rd March, 2009

24, Faubourg by Hermès

I smelled this when it first came out, in a department store in the late 1990s. Beautiful - I obviously can't wear it, as I'm a man, but I still love smelling this one.

23rd March, 2009