Reviews

Reviews by adonis

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Big compliment getter. One of my favorite fragrances. It shares some of the same qualities that also makes Bois du Portugal unabashedly masculine, although I prefer Rive Gauche much more. You can't judge this one by the opening - an hour in is when the magic happens. Works well in any weather, although a cool stormy day and RG is an the perfect combination - perfect, I tell you! :) I wouldn't recommend RG to high schoolers, but by your later college years you could pull it off. Just don't expect this one to resemble anything found on your average dept store shelf. Two thumbs way up.
25th July, 2011

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense by Yves Saint Laurent

Darker, dirtier, deeper than the original during the first hour. Not any longer lasting, however. I love RG so much that it's hard to criticize the intense version. It doesn't really merit a purchase if you already own a can of the fantastic and manly smelling barber shop masterpiece that is YSL Rive Gauche.
26th May, 2011

Aventus by Creed

What can I say? I like it. It's a compliment getter. I'll leave the notes breakdown to those far more proficient at it than I. There are several batches of Aventus currently on the market, each different smelling than the next. Caveat emptor. Search the threads for more information.
31st December, 2010

Silver Musk by Nasomatto

Very long lasting ultra clean, yet thick scent. Sillage is good as well, although others could mistake the smell of Silver Musk for a high end body wash or shampoo. Not really controversial, yet magical in an interesting way. I understand the connection to elves, LOTR, and flying fairy fantasy creatures. Perhaps this is what Sookie Stackhouse smells like.
02nd October, 2010

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Magnificent in it's simplicity. A restrained lemon opening that dries down to an warm herbal base. The entire start to end experience is wonderful. While it doesn't smell like ADP Colognia, the two fragrances share the same distinguished gentlemanly and happy vibe. Appropriate for any occasion. Such a pleasant and lovely scent. Thumbs way, way up for this beauty.
20th August, 2010

Bois du Portugal by Creed

This is a quality fragrance. Don Draper smells like this. BDP is definitely of a different era. I'm surprised it was formulated in 1987. Don't buy it blind, but definitely try it.
23rd January, 2010

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Magnificent stuff. The cedary drydown is lovely. Can't wait for morning to roll around so I can apply it again. Giant thumbs up on this one.
26th July, 2009

Gendarme 20 by Gendarme

Just to clarify things, Gendarme 20 is the original Gendarme formulation PLUS a formidable Lavender note. Gendarme EDP (the more concentrated version of the original scent) is different - a large "G" graphic is displayed on the bottle. These are two separate products from the same family of fragrances. If you like a clean pronounced lavender, 20 is your scent. Not a hint of sweetness or femininity in the juice. I really like it, but as with all Gendarmes I wish the lasting power was greater. I guess you can't have everything. Nonetheless, a big thumbs up because it smells so good.
17th July, 2009

Mr. Hulot's Holiday by CB I Hate Perfume

I think the lesson from both the Demeter and the CB line is the connection between memory and scent. CB likes to take you back to childhood with his concoctions of Play Dough, waffles, and coastlines. Mr. Hulot's Holiday is very interesting. This is the East Coast in a bottle. I immediately got vivid images of the Atlantic Seaboard and a summer vacation I was on when I was four or five. In particular I could remember the deep blue sky of Miami and crossing waterways on short bridges. Powerful, but It's just not a scent I'd ever want to apply more than a few times. Much respect to Christopher; now make something all of us would love to wear 24/7/365.
25th April, 2009

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

Oh, how I love this one. The top and middle notes give way to a beautiful dry leathery scent that is both refined and sexy. I don't know how ADP was able to improve upon their original classic, but they did. Colonia Intensa also lasts longer on the skin than original ADP. A fragrance masterpiece, folks.
14th April, 2009 (last edited: 17th May, 2009)

Erolfa by Creed

I'm a sucker for office safe scents (we do spend most of our waking hours at work after all), and Erolfa would offend no one. This one I have to spray on heavier to smell, whereas SMW and GIT are single spritz deals on my skin. If GIT were a Merlot, Erolfa would be a big buttery Australian Chardonnay. The dry down is pretty fast, yet the middle and base are just as enjoyable as the top notes. Salt -> yes! Tangerine -> are you sure? Sillage is poor, but who cares - more for me. Perhaps my favorite Creed so far. Look out Summer, here comes Erolfa Guy. A Fonzie thumbs up on this one.
14th April, 2009

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

If Neroli Sauvage was a movie it would be called - "Gone in Sixty Seconds". Premature olfactication. The opening is terrific - a beautiful sort of lemony intoxication. There's almost no middle or base notes. So much promise but ultimately disappointing.
10th April, 2009

Clean Provence by Clean

Tried most of the "Clean" line today. I'm sniffing Provence on my hand right now. It's nice - feminine and young. Definitely not a man's scent. I like the light soapy ones, so it's hard to be critical. No sillage, but a guy nuzzled up to your neck would like it indeed. Safe, but sometimes safe is good. Worth trying out.
04th April, 2009

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

It really does smell like sweetened coffee candy or caramel butterscotch chews. Personally I don't want to smell like sweetened coffee candy, but you might. Staying power is amazing. Couldn't scrub it off in 2 washings. I can't really knock it just because I don't like it, so it gets the sideways thumb from me.
29th March, 2009

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

This is really good. Surprisingly good. It vaguely reminds me of Creed's MI, certainly more than the yucky Unforgivable does. I suspect this is going to go the route of Gio and Cool Water - two nice scents that became far too popular. Still, worth trying, and certainly worth buying. Get on the train before it leaves the station.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The moment I smelled it I thought, "Wow, this is classy". More of a nighttime scent in my opinion. I could see wearing this on a date with a lovely female on your arm, burying her nose into your sleeve to get another whiff. YSL did a nice job on this one. I want it, but first I have to go about getting the lovely female. Try it, you just might like it.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I so wanted to like this one as I'm looking for a nice summer scent. Unfortunately, it's not going to be this. It isn't bad, nor is it offensive. I just get a scented toilet paper vibe from the dry-down. Maybe it's the little hint of vetiver in the mix. Worth trying, but not worth buying.

Russian Caravan Tea by CB I Hate Perfume

Remember powdered Nestle's Sweetened Iced Tea mix? This is exactly that scent. I can't say I dislike it because RCT reminds me of carefree summer vacations as a child - much to my parent's dismay I drank gallons of the stuff. I can't say I like it because I don't want to smell like sweetened iced tea. Amazing how CB I Hate Perfume can capture these essences.
16th March, 2009

Grabazzi by Gendarme

Clean, clean, clean and soapy as they get. The top notes are really unique and lovely, but the dry-down becomes, as one poster noted - "Lava Soap". Still, if you want to offend absolutely nobody, this is a great cologne, although you can achieve the same effect for a lot less money. I like the Gendarme line a lot, but this one...hmmm.
16th March, 2009

Unforgivable by Sean John

Strong, sparkling melon punch with the staying power of the Roman Empire. Fortunately, it was available at a deep discount at the local pharmacy, otherwise I would still be kicking myself for buying this. I had to bag the box because I could smell it in my bedroom. I was hoping it was going to be pretty close to MI, saving me many dollars as a result, but I don't get the comparisons at all.

Himalaya by Creed

I love GIT, I really like Erolfa, I kind of like SMW, and I couldn't wait to scrub Himalaya off of me when I tested it. Far too feminine for me. However, if you're a mature woman reading this review you might really like it. Flowery doesn't do the description justice.
15th March, 2009 (last edited: 18th April, 2009)

Vetiver by Guerlain

I really, really wanted to like this. The reviews were so good, and I made the mistake of buying without sampling. To me, it smells like the cement dentists mix up before they pack a tooth. Oh well, live and learn.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Blackberries and whipped cream with a steaming cup of English breakfast tea. Few would take offense to this scent. Lasts on my skin around 4 hours, which is fine. I usually tire of a smell after that long a time anyway. I bought a sample of this at TPC before buying, I'd recommend you do the same or try it out at Neiman Marcus before purchasing blind.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Some great smelling stuff. Thanks to you basenoters, I immediately identified a fake bottle I received and sent it back. Like everyone says, buy this from reputable dealers. A small price savings isn't worth the trouble in this case. The scent - Sean Connery wearing a tux inside a casino in Monte Carlo, circa 1965. There's something incongruous about wearing GIT with jeans and a T-Shirt - a vibe better served by Silver Mountain Water. About the Cool Water comparisons - GIT doesn't have the metallic tang in the opening notes. The dry down is completely different than CW. Probably a better scent for the cooler months, although I won't know until the warm weather arrives. I'm glad I bought this one, despite the price.

Gendarme by Gendarme

I like this juice a lot. Nobody in the office will ever accuse you of being "that guy". I agree with the others about the fleeting experience. I've met Topper Schroeder a few times at his Gendarmiere store in LA - cool guy, willing to talk in depth about his creations. Apparently, it's the Tonka which makes the scent seem to dissipate so quickly. Guess I'll just spray more on. There's no danger of over applying. It's clean, fresh, light. This is going to be one of my spring and summer fragrances.