Reviews by ashby

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

I received a sample of this and I decided to give it a test run today. Bad idea. This fragrance is terrible! It is so citrus-heavy that I not only reeked of Lemon Pledge or Orange Glo, but it left me feeling uncomfortable (which has never happened to me before)... Never again...
21st April, 2007

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

This is an amazing fragrance. It has a citrus/orange quality to it but it's not at all overwhelming and quickly fades into an incomprehensible (to me anyway) woodsy, almost leather-like aroma that just makes me go mmmmmm.... I really enjoy this!!
21st April, 2007

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

A rather fresh and fruity scent for a man, but I like it. Upon first spraying it you immediately notice the sky air accord, wet fig leaf and green mango. The scent gradually introduces you to its layers of white sage, juniper bud and hydroponic basil. As it dries down the bases notes of moroccan cedarwood, cucumber, bare amber are exposed. All in all, a great fragrance, which is something I'd never expected to say due to the fact that this is Paris Hilton. Thats hot.
27th December, 2005

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

A very beautiful, powdery floral fragrance. Timeless and elegant.
27th December, 2005

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Camus wrote, "Every act of rebellion expresses a nostalgia for innocence and an appeal to the essence of being"... and so we have Fracas, a creamy, dreamy tuberose that assaults and charms. Fracas is a kitten with a whip scent that wastes no time with introspective reverie when life, glorious jingly-jangly life, is waiting to be explored. This is the scent of a woman who can make a shy child feel sparkly and golden, who sometimes eats two desserts, and who will ride into the night on the back of a motorcycle with a man she barely knows.
26th December, 2005

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Contrary to what sunny_in_the_south may say, I must disagree. Giorgio is the quintessential "old lady" fragrance. It's incredibly potent and one spritz is certainly more than enough, but she who wears Giorgio certainly would never use only one spritz.
26th December, 2005

Mat; Chocolat by Masakï Matsushïma

Very realistic chocolate top notes briefly yield to a high-pitched, slightly synthetic mock-choc accord (a la Angel) before drying down to a woodsy milk chocolate with just a hint of cardboard. I am not a fan of "edible-smelling" fragrances, but I think this one is well-done: the woods aren't too strong or distinctive, but just provide a workable framework to strengthen and prolong the chocolate scent. Well worth a try if you're looking for a not-too-artificial chocolate scent with a bit of backbone and lasting power.

Hedwig by Demeter Fragrance Library

This scent is inspired by the play and movie "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," about a transsexual rock-star wannabe, and the scent is, kid you not, reminiscent of hairspray, stale cigarettes and motel room. I spritzed a bit of this and the room smelled like a bar the rest of the day. This truly does remind me of the way my clothes smell when I've spent all night at a very smokey bar.

In Love Again by Yves Saint Laurent

A refreshing fragrance for modern women. Top notes include grapes, grapefruit, brimbelle. Middle notes include tulip tree, grapefruit, water lily. Base notes possess a touch of blackberry, sandalwood, mush.