Reviews

Reviews by Keene

Hearts & Daggers for Women by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

This is going to sound horrible, but I had a little vial of Barbie perfume when I was a child that smelled exactly like Hearts & Daggers for Women.

I loved it, even going so far as to crack open the lid and add some water and alcohol in an attempt to make it last longer. I think I was about 6 years old when I ran out, and ever since the loss has haunted the perfume lover in me! Lol, silly, isn't it?

When I first sampled this fragrance at the department store, I was repelled by the immediate, sickeningly sweet scent it left on my skin and hurried on to others. The first impression was a bad one, and I was equally repulsed with the bright magenta "punk" bottle. I had no doubt I didn't want it.

However, about twenty minutes after leaving the store, I noticed the soft smell of freshly cut apples coming off of my skin. When I finally realized it was coming from the wrist with the Ed Hardy fragrance on it, I was floored. That disgusting perfume? Really?!?!?!

Even now, I'm still a little bit in denial. H&D almost perfectly captures the crisp smell of that first perfume which I had loved so dearly as a child. Unlike many perfumes with apple scents in them, this one doesn't smell fake or highly concentrated to me. The apple blossom is a light companion to the sweet jasmine, spicy musk, and deep amber, saving it from being too pretentious for day wear and making it interesting. I can already tell--this will grace my wardrobe for many years to come. :)

I don't see the notes listed for this yet, so here they are in order of appearance:

1. Top Notes:
Blood Orange, Violet Leaf, and Apple
2. Middle Notes:
Mango, Apple Blossom, and Pink Jasmine
3. Base Notes:
Cashmere Musk, Amber, Benzoin, and Blond Wood
26th December, 2010

Hugo XX by Hugo Boss

I'm not too terribly good at disecting the different smells in perfumes, but I enjoy them regardless. This one is definitely a younger, sweeter scent. It is something I wear in the evening, especially when I'm going out dressed up in more than just jeans and a t-shirt. It is a little strong, so I wouldn't recommend it when you know you're going to be sweating or when you'll be locked in a car a few minutes after application. It needs about fifteen to twenty minutes to calm down enough for small spaces. Also, unlike foetidus, who has also reviewed this, I don't notice a strong alcohol scent.
29th September, 2009

Absolutely Irresistible by Givenchy

My experience with this perfume is very limited, but I would just like to share my initial impression of this perfume. I don't know about the sickly sweet smell of it that someone else mentioned ... in fact, when I smelled this my thoughts were that it had a muskier, spicier undertone, which I think is from the red pepper in the top note. It reminded me of a smell a woman would wear that would blend well with the scent of tabacco. (Is that a strange thing to think?)

I sprayed some on the collar of my jacket, and a day later, I can still smell it. Obviously, it is a very strong fragrance. Towards the end of it's life, it smells less floral. I can detect the amber and patchouli easily. However, I always attributed patchouli with a powdery smell, and there is very little powder to the dry notes.

While I liked this scent, I do agree with the people that say this is definitely NOT a workplace fragrance. It is strong and almost blocks out a person's ability to smell anything else when sprayed on the collar (as I did). However, I kept sniffing my jacket all day long today, and I have to say that after it had faded appropriately, it was a very enjoyable smell.
12th April, 2009

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

I agree with other posts that the initial scent of this perfume is a little displeasing to the nose, but after about fifteen to twenty minutes on me it softens out to a very light, pleasing scent that keeps its compsure for many hours.

I have worn this perfume for over a year now, and I disagree with the opinion that it can't be worn in the work place. The scent can be over-powering if sprayed liberally, but by those women that wear uniforms or suits, simply spraying it once on the back of the neck and under the hair, or on an undershirt or the skin before donning the uniform works very well. I have only ever received compliments with this fragrance and it has never been pointed out as an offending or overpowering scent. In fact, I work in a very high-stress environment in extremely close confines and people are very quick to point out strong perfumes and colognes as a distractor in the working environment, yet I have still never received any negative feedback.

In my experience, this perfume goes well when on a romantic date but can also be worn in a professional setting if applied correctly.
11th April, 2009