Reviews by MJW77

MJW77's avatar
    MJW77

Aventus by Creed

Definite thumbs up for Aventus! A really great smelling fragrance that has quickly become a favourite of mine. Can be worn any time of year and in any situation. Basically whenever you feel the need to smell really good! No sillage or longevity issues for me either, just plenty of compliments!

05 February, 2012

Unforgivable by Sean John

I finally decided to give Unforgivable a try today and have to say I'm underwhelmed. I have been wearing MI alot recently and wanted to see if the similarities are there and if Unforgivable would be worth a shot as it's now so cheap. Well, as so many have pointed out the similarities are there, particularly in the top notes, however, there is a vast difference in quality. I had a shot of Diddy's juice on one hand and also some on a tester strip. I can still smell the tester strip 5 hours later but the the shot on my hand had evaporated after 30 mins! All I was left with was a slight scent of orange peel and nothing more. My curiosity has now been satisfied and I certainly won't be purchasing a bottle.

08 June, 2011

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I really enjoy this fragrance. I managed to get a couple of samples and have worn it out in the evenings a few times. I enjoy the spicy herbal opening but really love the vanilla in the drydown. It seemed to suit me and I felt perfectly comfortable wearing it. It's highly sophisticated and sexy with great sillage and longevity. To me it feels slightly more masculine than feminine. Great stuff if you can pull it off. I am seriously considering purchasing a bottle.

01st April, 2011

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

I have a sample and have have given it a few wearings on the wrist, but I'm just not keen on this one. I don't enjoy the violet note up top nor do I enjoy the dirty musk in the base. I couldn't coutenance even giving it a full wearing. There are far superior frangrances out there so I'll happily leave NRFH to those who enjoy it.

23 February, 2011

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

I really like this one. The bitter orange and mint do make a very sweet opening, but there's also a kind of bracing cleanliness to it. The scent remains pretty sweet throughout but becomes more subdued as the tobacco note announces itself. I think it's a versatile fragrance that can be worn casually or formally and in most seasons. Not bad longevity for a cologne too. Good stuff!

16 February, 2011

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain

This fragrance and it is simply awesome!! I always feel so classy and confident when I wear L'instant Eau Extreme. Won't even bother to go into details about the notes other than say I KNOW I smell amazing when I wear this!!! I actually bought this fairly early when I began my interest in fragrances and felt then I may have found my holy grail. I have purchased many fragrances since but none have usurped L'instant EE as my number one. If I had to keep only one fragrance this would be it. HUGE thumbs up!

15 February, 2011

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Good stuff. A mature, sophisticated leather fragrance. GG does exude a sense of masculine gentlemanliness but I don't think this is too old school and can easily be worn and enjoyed today.
    My Dad has the pre reformulation aftershave of Gentleman (which he doesn't use much.) Having compared this with the current EDT that I own, I don't think the reformulation is bad at all.

14 February, 2011

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

This is fantastic fragrance that has gone right to the top of my hierarchy! I enjoy the original Dior Homme but I like the Intense version more. It still has the cold almost plastic like iris note up top but this note doesn't linger as long and slips into the background letting the sweet, warm chocolatey vanilla come to the fore. Luca Turin in The Guide described it as 'delicious sweet baked apple' which is a fantastic decription of DHI. Awesome as an evening fragrance - really sexy, classy and sophisticated, but could also be worn on a crisp cool day simply because it smells so good. I highly recommend this. This is up there with L'Instant EDP as my favourite gourmand. If anyone is debating whether to get DHI or L'Instant EDP, just buy both.

Both thumbs up!

Having tried the 2011 reformulation I have to say I don't think it's too bad. In fact it is still a really good fragrance. I've done a side by side comparison and the latest version is very similar, although does have some different notes. You notice the difference more when smelling the original first and then the reformulation. The original seems to have more depth with the cocoa and the new version feels a little thinner, but smelling the new formula on it's own, you could easily think i was the same fragrance.

13 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 August, 2011)

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Do people really spray this on leave the house and think they smell good?

I wore B*Men once having purchased it blind (NOT recommended!) and was conscious of how unusual and unpleasant I smelt. It bascially smells like a bag of Liquorice Allsorts. It was cheap, presumably because no one was buying it, but still a waste of money. It's certainly my least favourite fragrance of those that I own.

There are so many great fragrances out there it really isn't worth bothering with this weird concoction. Awefully strange stuff.

07 October, 2010

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

I totally agree with all the positive reviews on this one. I have owned and enjoyed this fragrance for a good few years and would highly recommend it. It's exudes a classy and sophisticated masculine warmth. Sillage and longevity are spot on too. It's nothing like the original pour Monsieur and shouldn't be compared to it. How Luca Turin could only give this a one star rating in the guide is, quite frankly, baffling. Ignore the guide and trust the positive review here!

08 September, 2010

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I like the spices and the port wine note in Burberry London. For me, it's a good all round fragrance that's suitable for both casual wear or office attire. Good stuff.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I wasn't at all sure about M7 when I first sampled it, but something about it struck me and I had to go back and give it another try. It was the odd cherry menthol note up top, which I've now come to enjoy. The drydown is also fantastic and M7 is now right up there in my top evening fragrances. It doesn't seem particulary popular either and I can't recall ever smelling this on anyone else, which is a bonus for me!

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I do own and enjoy Habit Rouge but have to agree with others who have said that it's hard to wear. I sometimes feel a little self conscious wearing it because it smells quite 'old'. HR is probably more suited to the over 40's as opposed to the young crowd. I'll give it a neutral rating as it's a fantastically constructed scent but does smell slightly dated now.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I love the sweet woods and eucapytus warmth of Body Kouros. A great evening fragrance, highly recommended. I picked it up cheaply online and it's well worth it!

22 March, 2010

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

To my nose Kouros smells pretty clean and I associate the smell with a hot steamy white tiled shower room. It's a brave fragrance for brave men and if used in moderation is a winner. In every department store or perfume shop in the UK, Kouros still stands tall amongst YSL's men line and shows no signs of stepping from the limelight nearly 30 years after its release - and rightly so. The power of Kouros brings to mind the phrase 'women want me, men want to be me...'

24 February, 2010

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Everything I would usually go for in a fragrance suggests I should hate this. Strong Cedar, yes, pensil shavings, yes, church like, funereal, did anyone mention wood??? yes yes yes - but I just don't hate it. I do find it dirty, dusty, manly and quite complex as well as all the above. It also reminds me of something else that I just can't put my finger on - a nice cigar shop, humidor etc, perhaps? I do like these smells, however I would never want these in a fragrance, but here they are... and I can't help but like it! Definitely masculine and would never appeal to the aqua, issey and general cr*p aquatic generation and, as I thought, myself... however, don't blind buy, try it first - but yes, it is good...

05 December, 2009

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

There are a number of simple adjectives I like to be associated to the fragrances that I wear; sexy, masculine, fresh, clean, fruity, dirty, gourmand, or just plain old nice. None of these could be said of Terre D'Hermes, except perhaps, dirty - and not in a good way. To me it starts off smelling slightly orangey - one of my least favourite citrus notes and then settles down to a dirty, dusty fragrance. It reminds me of the smell of a dusty old road. I have sampled it numerous times and simply do not understand why this is so popular. Why would someone want to smell like this?! It simply fails all criteria by which I would judge a great smelling scent. My minimum expectation is to smell nice. Terre D'Hermes does not.

This should be thumbs down and not neutral!

28 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2010)

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

When I first sampled Azzaro, which was just over a year ago, I almost instantly recognised the fragrance. I can't put my finger on why it seemed so familiar. Initially I thought my dad may have worn it but he has never really been a fragrance man. Obviously many other men would have worn it too so that could be why I recognised it. I must add that the recognition was wholly positive and not an 'oh no that smells like my dad would smell'. To me, Azzaro instantly smelled exactly like a great masculine should. It smells beautiful from the initial blast to its fantasic musk and ambergris drydown. Azzaro really is a classic male fragrance which, in my opinion, has not dated. Quite simply, it still smells great and despite being introduced in '78 puts so many current offerings to shame. My only negative comment would be that the bottle does look dated and, to me, screams 70's! Update the bottle by all means but please do not tamper with the contents. Azzaro is awesome!

28 November, 2009

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

I tried Colonia Intensa a few times on tester strips and was blown away by how good it smelt! I tested on my skin too and then decided to splash out on some. As much as I really like this fragrance, with it's bright citrus opening and masculine leathery drydown, my only disappointment is with longevity - but I suppose it is a cologne. I dowse myself in this stuff to try to combat the longevity issue, which seems to work, although whenever I tried this on the tester strip the fantastic smell seemed to last forever. This still gets a thumbs up because it smells so sophisticated and masculine, I suppose I just wish it was a bit stronger, particularly for the price.

01st November, 2009

Envy for Men by Gucci

I first tried Gucci Envy alongside Prada Amber and Prada won the battle easily. However, I decided to give Gucci Envy another go on it's own some time later. I now really appreciate this scent and have added it to my collection. It has also usurped Prada in my fragrance hierarchy. I now really appreciate the ginger note in the opening and also love the drydown. After applying some in the morning later in the day I was getting some lovely wafts of something really pleasant (I couldn't detect exactly what note) but it took me some time to realise that it emanating from me. I have also received many compliments wearing Gucci Envy. I think this fragrance is extremely versatile and can be worn in all seasons and for most occasions. In fact, any occasion where you just want to smell really good!

01st November, 2009

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

I originally disliked this fragrance because all I could smell was salt water and quite frankly I was flabbergasted as to how Luca Turin could consider this a masterpiece! Despite my dislike from previous samples I decided to buy a bottle that was on offer just for the hell of it and to give it a real chance. And I'm glad I did. It clicked and I 'got' the fragrance. After a few wearings now I still get the salt water aspect but only a hint of it, merged with exotic tropical accords and primarily a melon note.
    Beyond Paradise has definitely leaped up my fragrance hierarchy as I find it very wearable and seems to fit with my personality and style. I would probably never wear this in the evening as I have many other great evening fragrances but I do love wearing this in the day. I really enjoy BP and have tested it against both Vetiver and Rive Gauche and have found that BP won hands down. The fresh tropical sexiness of BP made both Vetiver and Rive Gauche smell rather stuffy and old.
    I do wonder if Beyond Paradise is too youthful a fragrance for many basenoters which is why the reviews haven't been particularly positive. I also believe it has suffered due to it's 5 Star rating from Luca Turin. I still don't agree with this but I can definitely now appreciate where he's coming from. All in all a great fragrance!

20th August, 2009

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought Rive Gauche after all the positive reviews on basenotes. It seemed like it was a must have for any discerning fragrance fan. I don't dislike this fan favourite, but can't help feeling that it's hugely overrated. There is no need for me to mention what it smells like, I'll just give an opinion on what I think of it.
    Basically, when I choose a fragrance to wear it depends on whether its for the day or evening, where I might be going, what I'm wearing etc, but I can never seem to find an occasion for Rive Gauche. I don't have an extensive fragrance wardrobe by any means but I just have many others that I prefer and I that I feel suit me better. I do think RG is for the more mature market and, dare I say it, is rather boring. All the talk of it smelling like shaving foam and barber shops is accurate but if I had a wet shave with foam that smelt like this I would still probably slap on another fragrance over the top of it. I don't dislike RG at all, I think it smells nice enough, I'm just concerned others may think I smell old and when it comes down to choosing a fragrance I rarely reach for the Rive Gauche.

20th August, 2009

1881 by Cerruti

I first encountered Cerruti 1881 back in the late-ish nineties while at University. My housemate used to wear it when we went out clubbing. He was a big guy, an even bigger drinker and in all honesty no oil painting. However, I did notice that when we went out he always smelt good. I found out what fragrance he wore but never purchased myself as it was his fragrance. He did also manage to get a few ladies while out so I also put this down to the fact that he smelt better than he looked! I had pretty much forgotton about 1881 until I found a bottle in the sale and decided to test it. Straight away I remembered why I liked it. It really is a fresh, clean, masculine and classy fragrance, although I'm not overly clean on the bottle or the name. I decided to purchase a bottle and really enjoy wearing it. It also has a fantastic drydown. As for other comments that describe this fragrance as old, I just don't get it. I never once thought my old housemate smelt old when he wore 1881 and he would have been early twenties then. I only though he smelt good. I am also surprised that there aren't more reviews of 1881 considering it has been around since 1990, but perhaps many have missed out on this hidden gem, or also been put of by the name and bottle! This is a highly underrated fragrance that is definitely worth a try!

19 July, 2009

Rapport by Eden Classics

Well I never expected to find this fragrance on Basenotes! I bought this at my local chemist in the late 80's early 90's thinking it was a far more sophisticated option than the Lynx or Slazenger Sport underarm deodorants that my friends wore. I had also progressed onto this from Brut which I would splash on after swimming class at primary school! I remember I actually liked the smell of Rapport and recieved compliments when wearing it. Until recently I could vaguely recall the scent but funnily enough it wasn't until I discovered and tried Antaeus through Basenotes, that the first thing I thought of was that Rapport must have somehow been a poor imitation of Antaeus, such was the apparent similarity. I do love Anteaus but was too young to appreciate or afford such a fragrance back then, but part of me wonders if this is because I liked Rapport. I don't suppose they are similar at all and I won't be rushing out to test Rapport again, but some note within Antaeus transported me back to my days of spraying on Rapport and feeling like a man. Thankfully I now have Antaeus, among others, to do this.

06 July, 2009

The Dreamer by Versace

An oddly fantastic powerful fragrance! Yes, the opening notes are pretty unique but don't be put off by the negative reviews here. Just try it for yourself and give it time to settle - you will be rewarded!

12 June, 2009

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

This fragrance definitely has to be tried on the skin. When sprayed on a testing strip I did detect what other basenoters have described as a lipstick smell (Iris?), however, I didn't find this particularly unpleasant! When applied to the skin the 'lipstick' aspect is merely fleeting and this fragrance settles down beautifuly with the cacao adding a gourmand element. This is a top fragrance which I love to wear. I also find this fragrance perfect for all seasons and works equally well with casual or smart dress.

I managed to buy 100ml bottle of the soon to be vintage formulation of Dior Homme today. My original 50ml bottle was running low and I wanted the original formulation before it becomes obsolete. There is a clear difference between the 2011 reformulation and the original, even to my untrained nose. The new formula has far less iris in the opening and slightly deeper basenotes. As for the bottle the new formula has the black stem and the notes listed on the back. I'm very disappointed (but hardly surprised) that a great fragrance has been reformulated but happy that I have a full 100ml decant of the original!

06 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2011)

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This is a really beautiful fragrance. I do also get the aquatic and melon notes as mentioned by other basenoters. It's just so fresh and clean I can understand why it's so popular. Fantastic. I have to admit I'm gutted it's been compared to and mistaken for Unforgivable. Unforgivable is a fragrance I never have smelt and have no intention of doing so, but I am now concerned others may think I'm wearing it! At the end of the day I shouldn't really care because, quite simply, when wearing Millisime Imperial I smell great either way.

01st June, 2009

Vetiver by Guerlain

I have held back on reviewing Vetiver for a while now because I have gone through various emotions regarding the fragrance. I tested it and liked it, the fresh opening reminding me of cut grass on a summers day or clean linen hanging on a line. Then I began to get a little confused and doubtful about the drydown. I didn't think the drydown was unpleasant, I just questioned whether other people that might detect this fragrance on me would actually think I smelt nice. It was the tobacco and pepper notes. The thing was, if ever I put some on my wrist I kept wanting to smell it and did enjoy it. I was perhaps a little self conscious of what others would think. Having worn it a few times now though, I really don't care as I enjoy the fragrance immensely, and find that it gets better over time as it develops on my skin, and the 'guerlinade' of the tonka bean note becomes detectable. I would definitely recommend this fragrance and find myself wearing it a great deal. Thanks again to basenotes - I probably wouldn't have tried it otherwise!

22 May, 2009

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

I will start by saying I am a fan Guerlain's masculine scents, but I certainly think GH should be judged on its own, and not compared to previous Guerlain offerings. In doing so I find Guerlain Homme to be fresh and invigorating and really enjoy the mojito accord. I think this will be a slow burner in the basenotes community and over time people will come to appreciate it for the lovely fragrance that it is. I actually liked it the first time I tried it and was surprised by the vehement negativity. Definitely a thumbs up! Go on try it...

21st May, 2009

Héritage by Guerlain

A beautiful rich fragrance with a classic Guerlinade drydown. Pure class. Big Thumbs up!!

16 May, 2009