Reviews by shellshell40

M6 Do Not Ask Me Why by CB I Hate Perfume

On me this is a smoky and mysterious scent. I don't know what opium smells like but this smells like hash to me. There is a slight floral sweetness. It is intoxicating.
24th June, 2015

Absinthe by Slatkin

Summerville Metro Man has captured my experience. So sad that I only have a sample.
03rd June, 2015

Capri Forget Me Not by Carthusia

Capri Forget Me Not is a surprising and delightful take on a fig fragrance. At first spray I get a refreshing burst of lime, mint and fig. I am thinking it will replace my usual daytime fragrance, particularly in the summer.

The only downside is that it lasted only 2 or 3 hours on me. But it's so refreshing and light that I don't mind spritzing it again. Sillage is low, it's a light scent, but for me that's great during the day or at work.

It includes notes of lemon, lime, mandarin, fig, mint, violet, eucalyptus, bucchu, cyclamen, hyacinth, jasmine, artemesia, vanilla and peach. The nose is Laura Tonatto.
01st May, 2015

Explosions d’Emotions : Amour Nocturne by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I have been obsessed with this fragrance since I first tried it at Barney's and was thrilled when my 3 ml spray sample arrived today.

I find this edgy and contemporary. I definitely get a strong caramel and gunpowder that keeps me wanting to smell my wrist over and over. I don't really detect the cedar or orchid but get something nutty or coconut.

29th April, 2015

Aldehyde 44 by Le Labo

I generously dabbed on Le Labo Aldehyde 44 from a sample I have.

There was a pretty opening for a minute and then... nothing. It disappeared. I reapplied in case I hadn't put on enough the first time and the same thing happened.
28th April, 2015

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I love Serge Lutens fragrances, but this smells like a hamster cage. The overpowering cedar and sweetness is unwearable to me.
06th April, 2015

Wit by Delrae

I wanted to love this. I got almost none of the mandarin or lemon in the opening. The scent moved instantly to sweet, white florals and vanilla on me. Too sweet for me to wear.
23rd March, 2015

Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford

Notes for this fragrance are listed as: ripened black gardenia and orange, in a heart of jasmine, rose and muguet. Tuberose blending with dark plum, honey and beeswax finishing with incense and labdanum.

At first I got a strident gardenia which, as one other reviewer says, reminded me of SL Tuberose Criminelle. It is unpleasant to me but mellows on the first 20 - 30 minutes. After that the incense and honey take over. The dry down on me is sweet, spicy, smoky and pleasant, but not much floral.
17th May, 2009

Moss Breches by Tom Ford

Moss Breches? It's an affectation for Tom Ford, the boy from Texas, to give his fragrances French names, but since everyone does it, it's also a little difficult to fault him for it. In English I guess this means moss gap or breach or possibly foothold. But maybe the moss in Texas has a different aroma because the scent bares no resemblance to moss in my world.

On first application, I get a strong whiff of the beeswax absolute - sweet and honeyed. After 15 minutes or so some of the spicyness appears although it doesn't smell to me like the herbal quality I would expect from sage, tarragon and rosemary but more like cinnamon and nutmeg. Later I get vanilla subdued by just a hint of patchouli.

This is a pleasant, wearable fragrance on me. But I save my thumbs up for the ones that really wow me.
05th May, 2009

B by Boucheron

Initial burst of osmanthus and pink peppercorn is fresh and pleasant. I smell vanilla in the sandalwood dry down which comes fairly quickly. The lasting power of the fragrance is moderate. Overall this is pleasant but slightly uninspiring.
03rd May, 2009

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Eau d'Hadrien can be worn anytime, anywhere. It is a complex, citrus fragrance and is completely delightful. I wear the EDP and it's lasting power is marvelous. I wear it to work and to occassions where I don't want to offend anyone with some of the more difficult to wear fragrances that I'm also attracted to. I also just wear it because I love it.
01st May, 2009