Reviews by shellshell40

Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford

Notes for this fragrance are listed as: ripened black gardenia and orange, in a heart of jasmine, rose and muguet. Tuberose blending with dark plum, honey and beeswax finishing with incense and labdanum.

At first I got a strident gardenia which, as one other reviewer says, reminded me of SL Tuberose Criminelle. It is unpleasant to me but mellows on the first 20 - 30 minutes. After that the incense and honey take over. The dry down on me is sweet, spicy, smoky and pleasant, but not much floral.

17th May, 2009

Moss Breches by Tom Ford

Moss Breches? It's an affectation for Tom Ford, the boy from Texas, to give his fragrances French names, but since everyone does it, it's also a little difficult to fault him for it. In English I guess this means moss gap or breach or possibly foothold. But maybe the moss in Texas has a different aroma because the scent bares no resemblance to moss in my world.

On first application, I get a strong whiff of the beeswax absolute - sweet and honeyed. After 15 minutes or so some of the spicyness appears although it doesn't smell to me like the herbal quality I would expect from sage, tarragon and rosemary but more like cinnamon and nutmeg. Later I get vanilla subdued by just a hint of patchouli.

This is a pleasant, wearable fragrance on me. But I save my thumbs up for the ones that really wow me.

05th May, 2009

B by Boucheron

Initial burst of osmanthus and pink peppercorn is fresh and pleasant. I smell vanilla in the sandalwood dry down which comes fairly quickly. The lasting power of the fragrance is moderate. Overall this is pleasant but slightly uninspiring.

03rd May, 2009

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Eau d'Hadrien can be worn anytime, anywhere. It is a complex, citrus fragrance and is completely delightful. I wear the EDP and it's lasting power is marvelous. I wear it to work and to occassions where I don't want to offend anyone with some of the more difficult to wear fragrances that I'm also attracted to. I also just wear it because I love it.

01st May, 2009