Reviews by winterdaisy

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

Just bought it yesterday, as a heat wave was sweeping across the East Coast. I figured it'd make a good scent for the warmer days. So far, I like it. Nothing too original, but pleasant, fresh. Some days I don't want to stand out. I put it on at 9 a.m. and it's now 9 p.m. I can still smell it, although it's pretty weak now. Overall pretty satisfied with the purchase. Not the scent that will make you feel special, though.

27th April, 2009

Deseo by Jennifer Lopez

I got a free sample and gave it a try. It had a pleasant smell, but then there was nothing memorable about it. And it didn't last very long, either.

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

I was browsing the fragrance corner with a friend. She took one whiff of Red Door and her facial expression was something to watch. "Yuk. Who would wear this stuff? Why do they sell this stuff?" I felt embarrased, because I had a bottle at home. I had not bought it but it was included along with some other mini-sized perfumes in a set and I had occasionally worn it, although I didn't much like it. Why throw it away since I have it? Well, may be some perfumes are better thrown out. Strong in a midly awful way. Not overwhelmingly bad, but still on the awful side. I couldn't really see a redeeming feature.

No. 5 by Chanel

My mom got this as a present and she is (thankfully, for me) allegic to fragrance - they make her head spin, she says. So I gladly took this one from her. Well, that's the good part. The bad part is I didn't like it. I wanted to like it. After all it is Chanel No. 5. The Classic. The Timeless. But why??? I didn't hate it, but I didn't see what I was supposed to like, either. To me it was just a strong, aldehyde fragrance. And I do not even like the word aldehyde. Doesn't it sound (and smell) artificial? If you must try it once in your life - if you just can't pass up on that fame - get the smallest bottle you can find.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

When I wore it, it drew random compliments, but regardless, it was too sweet for my taste. Othes might love it on me, but somehow, I just don't love it on me. Nothing unique or memorable about it. A type of fragrance I'd sometimes use if I got it as a gift, but wouldn't buy for myself.

Spellbound by Estée Lauder

The first time I encountered spellbound was in 1994. I was given a small sample and I really liked the smell. Sensual. Unique. When I wore it to class, a stranger asked me what I was wearing. How can I forget. Only two perfumes ever drew random compliments in my life. (The other one was Tresor, which, regardless of the compliments it drew, was too sweet for my taste.)
    Based on that pleasant memory of the random compliments and how I had liked the scent, I gambled on purchasing a big bottle. But this time, something is just not right. I like the scent when I first spray it on (and I do make sure I use a light touch and spray only once), but as hours pass on, the scent changes on me, so something... awful. Like... it just blocks my nasal passage. A blocking scent. I don't know how else to describe it. And that awful scent lasts so long, too. All through the day - even after a shower. Could it be that my chemistry changed in the past 15 years? Should I just give up on this scent, put it aside for now, and hope that my chemistry will change with time again? Ahhhhhh. Don't know what to do. The 3.4 oz bottle is sitting on my desk staring at me.

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

I tend to confuse this one with Youth Dew, neither of which I like. I found both to be strong and repulsive. Youth Dew, even more so than Cinnabar, but Cinnabar not much better. I see someone compared this to Opium. I didn't like that one, either, but found it to be at least more unique than the other two.

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

My reaction to this perfume was... "are you sure this is a woman's perfume???" There was nothing feminine about it. Yet, it didn't feel "unisex," either. I actually like some unisex fragrances - there are some that feel quite refreshing. This one was... strong in a "yuck" way.

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

I remember getting this as a gift in 1998. I must have used up the bottle, since I do not remember re-gifting or throwing it away half empty. But honestly I do not even recall how it smelled. I think that is exactly how the scent felt to me. Very forgettable. If I am pressed to describe it, I would say it was sweet, but pretty light, and absolutely nothing memorable about it.