Reviews by athenahelen

athenahelen's avatar
    athenahelen
    Singapore Singapore

Eau de Rochas by Rochas

Eau De Rochas is a beautiful summery scent. Initially, when I sprayed it on the first 2 times, I didn't like it as the patchouli was too strong. When I continue to use the scent once or twice a week, the patchouli doesn;'t come across so strongly anymore. I see the rich harmonising of the citrus with the patchouli. Eau De Rochas is richer than O' de Lancome which is another scent I wear. I start to like Eau de Rochas more than O'de Lancome. Also, Eau De Rochas is nicer than Eau Sauvage, another scent I wear. Eau Sauvage has a 'male' drydown - it is a masculine scent. I live in the tropics and I wear

Eau de Rochas at least once a week to work. It has great longevity and lasts more than 8 hours. Also, I managed to get it cheap at one of the stores I frequent...imagine 100 ml tester for only US$8. So, I have stocked up on this...such a great buy! :-))

11th September, 2009

Calandre by Paco Rabanne

Calandre is a good scent to use in the office when one has an important meeting. It's non-intrusive and lasts all day. Also, it's cheaper than Rive Gauche.

09 September, 2009

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (original) by Bourjois

I agree with underglass that Soir de Paris stays as fresh as if it's just purchased. I have the original and I really love it. It was a great find and I should go back to the shop and buy up the rest of the bottles they have. I really love it. It is neither too floral nor too green. I love the berry notes.

13 August, 2009

Tocadilly by Rochas

I managed to buy 8 100 ml-bottles of Tocadilly from a perfume wholesaler. They have about 60 bottles and they are selling them cheap, Singapore 13 dollars each (US$6.50) to me as a long-time customer.

I really like Tocadilly as a daytime work fragrance. It is light, (unless oversprayed!) has great longevity ( 8 to 10 hours) and is non-intrusive. I oversprayed it to work last Thursday but I did not suffer a headache (one spray of Opium or Prada's Infusion fleur d'orange results in a splitting headache). Even when I walked out for lunch under the hot sun (33 degrees Celsius), I did not come back with a splitting headache.

I am thinking of stocking up a few more bottles of Tocadilly as there will be no way I can get them in the years to come. If you do come across it wherever you are staying, it is a good, lasting fragrance for summer. I think perfumeshrine reviewed Tocadilly and I agree with her it is a lovely fragrance.

11th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 August, 2009)

Acqua Classica by Borsari

I have both Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta and this, Borsari Acqua Classica. When Acqua Classica is first sprayed on, there is a medicinal smell but it is not overpowering. Sort of like Guerlain's older range in the early 1930s. Colonia Assoluta is a brighter, citrusy smell. It is deeper and sweeter. Acqua Classica is drier. It is a fragrance for hot, humid weather, like here in Singapore. Acqua Classica is only a fraction of the price of Colonia Assoluta. It can be used daily after a bath or for causal wear. Sillage and longevity are average to me for both Acqua Classica and Colonia Assoluta. I like it as it is fresh and not sweet and suitable for women, unlike Hermes Eau d'Orange which although marketed as unisex is really masculine. Will reserve Colonia Assoluta for formal occasions as it's just too pricey for me.

20th June, 2009

Patchouli by Lorenzo Villoresi

I bought a whole 100 ml bottle of LV Patchouli back in 2007. Have a whiff of it and it is sitting in my wardrobe. I was arranging my fragrances the day before and now it is somewhere in the back of my cupboard. It is a good scent for a rather confident man but as a woman, I find it too strong for me.

09 May, 2009

Garofano by Lorenzo Villoresi

I wore LV Garofano to work yesterday. The weather was fair as there was a shower the night below. The fragrance has a very good basenote which is not too sweet. It is rather comforting to wear it in cool weather but I think in hot, sweaty days, it might not be wise. It has very good sillage and is really very good lasting.

09 May, 2009

Violetta di Parma by Borsari

Violetta di Parma is not too sweet and therefore not cloying. I wear it to work as it is not loud. To me, the longevity is there as after 8 hours, I can still smell it, albeit on my clothes. Like some perfume blogs had mentioned, the scent seems to disappear and miraculously reappear. It is a simple, elegant scent. Not loud and not cheap-smelling. It has an 'old' air note about it but I interpret this note as elegance and unique. I don't smell this on anyone so far here in Singapore. It is suitable for hot, humid weather.

09 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th June, 2009)