Reviews by Yumm

Fresh Patchouli by Jovan

I bought a bottle of this fifteen years ago, and only wore it a couple of times. Today I decided to give it a try again as I thought it might be great in the summer heat. Wow! Now I wish that I owned ten bottles. If you like patchouli (I do), this is heavenly.

Top notes: aldehydes, cut grass, watery green accord
Middle notes: patchouli, freesia, jasmine, white rose
Base notes: patchouli leaves, vanilla

The cut grass and patch remind me of Faberge Straw Hat, which I also loved. I hoped to find Fresh Patchouli on Ebay and did, for $99 a bottle. A lovely summer scent.
25th July, 2015

Jovan Black Musk for Women by Jovan

Where's the musk? Opens with an ozonic fruity smell and several hours later morphs into a very light and uninteresting fruity floral. I can't smell an ounce of musk in this, which is a shame as I am a musk fan. A waste of money even at $8. You'd be better off rubbing some vanilla extract behind your ears.
17th July, 2015

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

I am not a big fan of the liquorice in this scent. It smells synthetic on me, and somehow doesn't seem to belong amid the rest of the recipe. I am going to wait and try it again during the winter and see if it behaves better in the cold. For now, I prefer Hard Candy when I have a huge sweet tooth.
10th July, 2015

Shalimar by Guerlain

I ordered a bottle of this over the internet, and thought it must have been a knock-off because it smelled so terrible on me. I gave it away, but have since tried it again at a department store to make sure it wasn't just a bad bottle, and it wasn't. There is something in the opening that reacts badly with my skin. After about 30 minutes it calms down, but still doesn't smell great. I had a bottle of Shalimar back in the early 80s and did not have a problem, so I am thinking it is something they have added to the newer formulations. The newer version is truly terrible on me and I cannot pick out anything on the pyramid that normally reacts that way with my skin. My friend asked me please not to stand too close...
07th July, 2015

Liz Claiborne by Liz Claiborne

I found a bottle of this at a local discount store hoping it was the original, but I think it is a reformulated version because I get citrus and hair tonic where there used to be none. Why do they do that? This rating is for the version in the clear triangular bottle with the blue top, which is a gutted and updated version of the original with added citrus notes. I much preferred the original. One of the fragrance websites lists the notes for this version as greens and white lily accompanied by fruity notes of mandarin and fresh citrus. The original was more complex and lacked the throat curdling citrus that makes it now smell like Vaseline Hair Tonic.
04th July, 2015

Taji by Shulton

Milwaukee Journal, November 9, 1965:

"At last, Taji, a perfume that lasts!

A perfume that hasn’t worn off by the time you’re out of the house! Undiluted by volatile alcohol, new Taji, by Shulton is all precious perfume oil. Inspired by the essences of the east, its fragrance is provocative and haunting. Patchouli, sandalwood, yang yang, spice oils, vetiver and jasmine are all part of its almost abandoned sophistication. Taji warms up with you, stays with you, surrounds you in a fabulous aura that lasts hours longer than traditional perfumes. A few drops lasts throughout the day- or night. 1.5 oz., $7.50. Perfume oil mist (spray for bath, shower), $5.00. Bath powder- $3.75."

I have a bottle of this from 1969, and it is still nice. The secret is in the "spice oils".
03rd July, 2015

Khadine by Yardley

I had a bottle of this in the 70s.

Top notes- aldehydes and bergamot
Middle notes- rose, carnation, ylang ylang, spices
Base notes- patchouli, sandalwood, amber, benzoin, incense

I don't do well with carnation or sandalwood, so this was not a favorite scent, although still nice. The packaging was gorgeous and looked like the most beautiful of lacquerware boxes from Kashmir. I would buy it again given the opportunity for the bottle and box if nothing else.
16th June, 2015

Si Lolita by Lolita Lempicka

I gave this one away. It was all pink peppercorn and then morphed into nothing I could identify. Little sillage; on and gone. I didn't hate it, but didn't like it either. On me, a blah, nebulous scent. The bottle is darling and the polka dot ribbon very sassy.
13th June, 2015

Wood Violet by Sonoma Scent Studio

On me this scent translates as pure sandalwood, and nothing else. It goes on with a hint of sweet violet and plum then quickly morphs into sandalwood. Like Voile de Violette, I get nothing but the base and only part of that.
27th May, 2015 (last edited: 28th May, 2015)

Voile de Violette by Sonoma Scent Studio

I detect a hint of violet at first, and then Voile de Violette turns into a heavy, bitter myrrh and nothing else. Really nothing else. On me, a most unpleasant experience.
27th May, 2015

Badgley Mischka by Badgley Mischka

Notes for this are listed as peach, cassis, sueded musks, peony, jasmine, amber, red berries, sandalwood, caramel, osmanthus and patchouli. I think body chemistry has everything to do with how this scent acts. I get a touch of peach, and the rest is amber. Amber can really do a job on me depending on what it is paired with. I don't hate this, but don't love it either. It actually smells better in the bottle than on my skin. I'd wear it during the winter.
19th May, 2015 (last edited: 20th May, 2015)

Mûre et Musc Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I like Mure et Musc, but I like Extreme even better. It is a bit sweeter and I get the fruity berries in this one, where they are not apparent on my skin in Mure et Musc. Minimal sillage, close to the skin, and still holds a faint musk note at 12 hours. Yum.
17th May, 2015

Bellodgia by Caron

I almost bought this several times back in the '80s, but it always left me with a headache. The overwhelming impression was lots of carnation and, and on me, a huge smokey trail.
22nd April, 2015

Jimmy Choo by Jimmy Choo

This is a lovely scent (EDP), but I can barely smell it. It goes on with a flash of green and opens up quickly revealing warm toffee and a soft patchouli. If there is a floral, it does a vanishing trick on me. It is all very faint and easy on the nose. I really do like this, but only the patchouli remains long after everything else has disappeared. Not much sillage, and a one note longevity.
11th April, 2015

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is not a bit fruity on me. I get a somewhat soapy musk and and a hint of basil and hay. At first, I wasn't sure I liked this, but have been wearing it for a few weeks now, and it is very nice. The dry down of Mure et Musc reminds me of Kiehl's Original Musk with much, much less sillage than Kiehl's. It is very wearable, and will join my cabinet of regularly worn scents.
04th April, 2015 (last edited: 01st May, 2015)

Prada Candy by Prada

Wow. I cannot smell a bit of candy, vanilla or musk in this. It almost smells like gardenia on me, but not quite. It does smell synthetic. Candy makes me sneeze, so I won't be wearing this and it doesn't smell good on me anyway. It is strange what body chemistry can do to a cologne.
02nd April, 2015

Cherry Blossom by Bath and Body Works

Very tutti fruity and very cherry. Juicy, mouth watering and good enough to eat. I like this, but only wear it occasionally in spring and summer. If you want to literally smell good enough to eat, this one is the ticket.
29th March, 2015

Coach The Fragrance by Coach

The opening and middle notes are luscious, but in the end I am left with nothing but amber, which overshadows everything else. After three hours, there is not much left to smell. On and gone. Generally lovely, but not long lasting, and too much amber for my body chemistry.
28th March, 2015

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

I have a vintage bottle which belonged to my grandmother. I've never worn it as I couldn't get past the BO blast, but either I've lost my sense of smell, or some of the eau de BO has vanished with age. Trying it again after six years, I now get loads of cedar, a touch of tutti fruity, and not much else. Going to try wearing it after all these years and see how it floats. Originally, it smelled like pencil and BO to me. Now it smells mostly like pencil.
19th March, 2015

DKNY Golden Delicious by Donna Karan

I bought a small roll on at Ulta with both Golden Delicious and Be Delicious. They aren't Delicious. Once the GD settles down and the basenotes prevail, I am left with something that smells like a deodorizing soap. Ugh.
09th June, 2014 (last edited: 20th June, 2014)

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

I gave this one away. It gave me a reeling headache, and once, an ocular migraine. Beautiful bottle.
09th June, 2014

Casmir by Chopard

I agree with Lisa. There is something in Casmir that doesn't come together quite right. It clashes with my body chemistry, and I am also suspect of the geranium. The bottle is beautiful. Periodically I take a sniff from the bottle, but just can't seem to wear it as it makes me feel on the edge of allergies and a headache. I've smelled others wearing this and it was superb. It's just not for me.
19th November, 2013

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Manly?

Obsession smells bitter and dry on me, and doesn't improve with the dry down. I can see why men might like it, and to me, it seems quite suitable for men. I have a vintage bottle from 1988, which is almost full. I decided to try it again after these many years, and still do not care for it. It doesn't say "hug me", but does suggest "back off, bud". I've a friend who wears it very well, and it smells completely different on her. I am a musk/vanilla/floral woman, so this doesn't work very well.

Pros: Nice bottle
Cons:

27th October, 2013

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

Body chemistry matters

This scent smelled AMAZING on my friend. Soft, rich and creamy, with a hint of soap. On me, it took on a chemical face with a raw edge that lasted for hours. I finally gave it away. Ah, chemistry.

Pros: Long lasting
Cons:

27th October, 2013

OP Juice for Women by Ocean Pacific

Synthetic Juice

This smells amazing on some people, but I am not one of those people. Strangely, musk is my thing, but not this musk. The opening smells like fly spray on me, and develops into something that is neither fruity, floral nor musky. The final result is very synthetic with my body chemistry.

Pros: Smells great on some folks.
Cons: Smells like fly spray on me!"</p>
21st October, 2013 (last edited: 27th April, 2014)

Kim Kardashian by Kim Kardashian

Does smell like Gardenia, does smell like Michael Kors, but I like it better than Kors. Not so long lasting with my chemistry.
13th September, 2011

Guilty by Gucci

Guilty has too much going on. I originally bought it because of the lilac notes, but in the end, they co-mingle with the other notes in a clashing power struggle. This scent physically overwhelms me, and is quite expensive.
12th February, 2011 (last edited: 01st February, 2014)

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I absolutely adore this. It is subtle, soft and totally yumm. Softly floral without being obnoxious; well rounded with nothing fighting to overpower the other. Something for up-close and personal. Truly lovely, and maybe my new favorite.
12th February, 2011

Hard Candy by Hard Candy

Hard Candy is warm and sweet with vanilla and carmel. I like it. Men like it. Definitely for a candy sweet fun feeling day or night.
07th September, 2010

Musk by Alyssa Ashley

I agree that this is a woman's scent. Use the oil for a comforting, hug of a scent. I slather it on abundantly, and smell amazing all day. The oil has a depth the cologne does not, and smells much better. (At least on me!)
15th February, 2010