Reviews by Primrose

Primrose's avatar
    Primrose

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

I tried the most recent version. I understand the vintage is the one worth having. Yes, it IS wonderful. It's like a sister to Guerlain's Derby.

I retried this, and found it was too fleeting to buy a bottle prior to its being discontinued. For that money, I'd rather have a bottle of Vol de Nuit, Shalimar or Jicky parfum.

My Derby will have a place in my collection.

13 June, 2014

Bullion by Byredo

This is a wonderfully blended leather and the leather stands out.

For the price, however, I would compare with PG Cuir d'Iris, which smells similar to my nose.

19 April, 2014

Fleurs d'Ombre Violette-Menthe by Jean-Charles Brosseau

Wonderful and fresh scent for a spring day! Spirit-lifting and cool, the mint and the violets, not too powdery, Violette-Mente an understated scent. Not a heavy scent, which is what you sometimes need.

14 March, 2014

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

This is one of my go-to scents, and it sits out in the open with my regular rotation of scents. This is not a novelty for me. When I cannot decide on what I "feel" like wearing, I tab on some of this perfume. (I don't use the EDT.) It's green and fresh with the galbanum but warm with the vanilla notes in the drydown. There are also hints of something leathery. Very much a classic Guerlain, so if you prefer citruses and fruity florals, this may not be for you. This is truly a unisex, and it is warm and elegant.

01st December, 2013

3 Cuir Ambre by Prada

Wonderful scent but not unique

Prada's No. 3 Cuir Ambre is a fantastic scent. Don't get me wrong.

But at one sniff, I had smelled this before. Serge Lutens' Cuir Mauresque. Cuir Ambre is far too similar to Cuir Mauresque. And Cuir Mauresque is much cheaper and also good with projection and longevity.

Try both and decide which one you like better. The Lutens are eau de parfums, and are sold in 50 ml and the bell bottle, while the Cuir Ambre is a parfum and is sold in 30 ml.

Pros: Longevity
    Cons: Too much like another scent

10th October, 2013 (Last Edited: 28 March, 2014)

L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès

Too little sillage and longevity

A wonderful flanker to Eau des Merveilles, a light amber mix, slightly gourmand, but far too fleeting and with poor sillage. I expected more in an EDP. If you enjoy it, go for it, but testing first is a must; do not buy on first sniff.

In a side-by-side comparison with Hermes Ambre Narguile, an EDT, did much better. Almost the same scent as L'Ambre des Merveilles, but with a little more spice and much better longevity and sillage. Four hours later into the comparison, the L'Ambre is hardly there while the Ambre Narguile is very much present and enjoyable.

My personal recommendation is to spend the extra money and buy a bottle of Ambre Narguile. It's worth the extra money.

Pros: Wonderful scent
    Cons: Too light and fleeting

11th June, 2013

Bronze Goddess Eau Fraîche Skinscent by Estée Lauder

A fresh citrus/coconut/amber scent that screams, "Suntan oil." Great scent to enjoy and not "haute parfumerie," but just for fun. Merits a full bottle as this is a light eau de toilette. Try using the skin oil and layer to make it last longer. Longevity of this eau fraiche is not a plus.

This is a fresh addition to any collection. Truly a "beach in a bottle." It makes a good unisex for men who like a gourmand summer scent.

14 April, 2013 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2013)

Orangers en Fleurs by Houbigant

This is indeed a cousin of Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger without the strong cumin. It is a lovely orange blossom with florals and greens. Nutmeg provides the subtle spice.

If you love orange blossom, this is a must-try.

Not as powerful in longevity and sillage as the SL, this is a bit more than moderate.

Hopefully this means that Houbigant, a company with REAL historical roots dating back to the 18th century, will be coming back into the fragrance market with interesting scents.

At $180 for 100ml, this is a luxury item. The bottle is made to look like antique crystal, yet sadly the cap over the spray nozzle is made of plastic. Not impressed. I would have thought it should be glass at this price. The foil label on the bottle makes references to the bottles from the 1920s and 1930s, and had hoped Houbigant would have at least a glass cap to take the luxe reference even further.

Even the mainstream Chanels (in the iconic square bottles) have glass caps; the No. 19 Eau Poudree has a cap of frosted glass.

All in all, the scent is elegant and even unisex for those who enjoy orange blossom.

13 March, 2013

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

I make a good attempt to like this, but in the end it did not work for me.

The sweet opening was pleasant enough with the almonds kicking in.

I will stick to my L'Artisan Traversee du Bosphore for my fix of Turkish Delight.

06 December, 2012

Knize Ten by Knize

Truly a love-it-or-hate-it scent.

This is a floral leather with "rubber/tar" undertones, but I get mostly flowers and leather. I don't get the tobacco others mention. I find this most closely resembles Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens with its fruity floral leather and "neoprene" vibe.

Good longevity and good sillage.

Like all scents, a sampling is in order is you are interested in leather scents, but I enjoy Knize Ten.

16 November, 2012

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I did not "get" Angel at first sniff and I had to give it many wearings. What a fragrance! Certainly unique and mature, and far from the candy/fruity scents now so popular.

I admit that it is not for everyone.

This patchouli gourmand is powerful and there is nothing young and flirty about it. It can easily be worn as a unisex with its chocolate patchouli with caramel and vanilla.

For those turned off to Angel, I recommend giving this one time and several wearings before writing it off.

09 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2012)

Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

I so wanted to love this new scent but was disappointed.

Nice? Yes. But it did not grab me like his Tobacco Vanille or Tuscan Leather, or even Neroli Portofino. I was not grabbed at the top notes and lost interest. I would stick to my Black Orchid, which interested me in the top notes and let me explore all the way down to the base.

In all, a rather average offering despite the enchanting name. The word "noir" seems all the rage now.

09 November, 2012

Boucheron by Boucheron

Boucheron is a must for lovers of modern French perfumery. I has a lush and classical feel in the warmth and the rich florals of orange blossom and tuberose. "The Guide" rates this highly yet infers it is a bit obnoxious, describing being near someone wearing Boucheron is like being photographed next to a colossal marble foot as big as a car, but I disagree.
    I prefer the Boucheron in the EDP. It is indeed powerful, but it is glamourous and attracting notice. This is not for a wallflower. Apply to suit your skin and the weather and you won't knock anyone out. Instead, enjoy this opulent fragrance.

28 October, 2012

Mayfair by D.R. Harris & co.

This is an overlooked fragrance in the D.R. Harris line. Admittedly, it's not for everyone as it is very strong, floral and musky.

One might consider this a classic scent since you won't compare it to a modern aquatic. It is warm and pleasant.

Very strong, so use a light touch.

18 July, 2012

Eau de Cologne à la Reine des Fleurs by Piver

Very much an eau de Cologne in the manner of Farina.

it is light and refreshing, and as OdysseusM observes, a bit more herbal than citrus.

Timeless and unisex, a great value for an eau de Cologne. I would even go so far to say on a par with Guerlain's venerable Eau Imperiale.

05 June, 2012

Orris Noir by Ormonde Jayne

The iris might be a misnomer, but this scent is wonderful. There are other florals, but iris is not predominating.

The floral and resins blend nicely in the basenotes. The fleeting tops note, for me, give a whiff of leather, which is very pleasant.

This lasts for hours, but agree with Sugandaraja that is is not sillage-heavy.

09 March, 2012

Sampaquita by Ormonde Jayne

I agree with Mimi Gardenia, Off-Scenter and parfumeuse Ayala about the common feel of this scent.

There is nothing inherently wrong with it. It is very pleasant in the top notes. Nothing extraordinary, just pleasant.

There are others in the Ormonde Jayne line worth a full bottle.

09 March, 2012

Bottega Veneta by Bottega Veneta

EDIT: 14/04/12

I have found that Bottega Veneta is a different spin on a floral leather scent. I actually enjoy this now! (My older review is below.)

This had already been done by Armani Prive with their Cuir Amethyste.

The floral patchouli with leather is too similar to be considered a unique creation. (The Bottega Veneta has jasmine while the Armani has more violet.)

Too similar to make an additional purchase if you have the Cuir Amethyste.

28 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2012)

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I so wanted to love Tobacco Vanille, as I enjoy sweet tobacco scents. It goes on as a warm, sweet tobacco and vanilla--what is on on the tin is in the contents.

In the end, on me, I got mostly a warm amber and vanilla with less of the tobacco.

I give this a thumbs up if you like more vanilla than tobacco, as some do.

I adore the Tuscan Leather in this line, but will find my sweet tobacco elsewhere in other scents:

By Killian Back to Black
    Costamor Tabacca
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque

EDIT: I also bought Tobacco Vanille to add to my tobacco lineup

05 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2012)

Back to Black by By Kilian

I wanted an unsparked pipe tobacco scent--one without the ashtray note and Back to Black fills the bill.

Back to Black is a moderately sweet pipe tobacco scent with an almost fruity edge.

Not as "pipey" or smoky as the wonderful Fumerie Turque, but more on the candified side.

Good sillage and longevity. I recommend this scent.

Because of the price, this is a sample-first fragrance.

07 October, 2011

Sweet Redemption by By Kilian

Wow! This finale for Kilian is a wonderful finish for his Oeuvre Noire collection.

I first lost my heart to his Back to Black, a rich pipe tobacco vanilla scent.

The top notes start of fresh and citrusy, but then the middle starts to emerge as the most breath-taking orange blossom scent I have experienced since Narcisse Noire extrait. The resins of myrrh and frankincense (olibanum) provide the ecclesiastical notes to "redeem" the wearer, of which sins, you need not disclose! (Only you and your confessor will know!)

I was vageuly reminded of Hermes 24, Faubourg EDP, but the Redemption is less floral and bright, and richer and warmer. (Mind you, I sometimes prefer the more floral scents.)

Finally, the rich, warm basenotes have vanilla and benzoin predominating.

Long-lasting and with good sillage. Worth the price, as are many of Kilian's offerings.

07 October, 2011

La Petite Robe Noire 2 / Mademoiselle Guerlain by Guerlain

Guerlain's La Petite Robe Noire scents launched with condemnation and scorn, but I wish to defend these scents. Guerlain purists turned up their noses--literally--criticising everything from the bottle to scent itself.

The LPRN 1 of 2009 was a rose/licorice sweet scent and was a big seller in the U.S.

The LPRN 2 was released two years later. It is a sweetish scent, but more floral and citrusy to my nose. Much less candied than the first version.

The top notes are a bright orange blossom with fresh green, not the usual gourmand. The mid-notes are the guimauve scents of vanilla-like sweetness and the bottom notes are delicate leather and musk.

The official notes for LPRN 2 are: bergamot, lemon, galbanum, iris, orange blossom, marshmallow, white leather and musk.

This scent is a must-try as I think it's a scent you either love or despise.

21st June, 2011

Boxeuses by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I sampled Boxeuses ("female boxers" in French) expecting to be "knocked out" with a potent mix of plum and leather. In the end, it did not deliver and I saved myself the expense of a full bottle.

From the top notes down, I found the scent to be average. Nothing jumped out at me at all. A gentle touch of leather and some mild florals and woody notes. The leather had the "industrial" feel of chemicals and rubber that I get in the SL Cuir Mauresque, which I enjoy a great deal. I did not get the urge to put my nose to my wrist for another sniff, the real test as to whether I am charmed with a fragrance or not.

For me, this is not SL's best effort. Some say it's a repeat of Daim Blond.

For a truly potent take on plum and leather, I recommend Histoires de Parfums 1889 Moulin Rouge. Rich and mildly sweet from the beginning, the 1889 has great sillage and longevity and will garner compliments.

18 June, 2011

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

I was intrigued by the leather accord noted. For me, the accord did not make itself known in a dramatic way.

When I tried Midnight in Paris, I reacted to the warmth of the scent. At first, I was vaguely reminded of Balmain Ambre Gris. As the drydown progressed, I kept getting impressions of spice here and there, perhaps the sharpness of the rosemary.

All in all, like Foetidus, I was not impressed. Others may beg to differ, but I would not buy a full bottle.

Pleased, yes, but not one I will buy.

EDIT: I did buy the EDT of this at a discount. Will use it as a summer scent.

19 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th July, 2012)

24, Faubourg by Hermès

An early love affair with orange blossom! 24, Faubourg is my elegant reach-for scent up there with Boucheron EDP.

I enjoy both the 24, Faubourg EDT and the EDP. I have not tried the perfume.

The warm orange blossom and jasmine, mingled with the ambery/vanilla drydown is always classy. It has presence and sillage, and people will notice.

This is not likely to be a scent worn by many. It is unique and distinctive.

19 May, 2011

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

I wish I could submit two reviews.

On one hand, this is a toothache-inducing confection that belongs on a paper lace doily in a candy shop. It is so very sweet that it smells like a food sweetener. To call this a gourmand is like saying Godzilla was simply a monster. I could not get past the top notes. For me, this was a scrubber.

On the other side, this is a very sweet vanilla scent for those who enjoy masses of sugary vanilla. The cotton candy note (barbe-a-papa, or "daddy's beard") is also very in-your-face.

There are many vanilla blended scents that are very sweet but not toothachingly so. For me, a much better sweet and candy scent would be found in the La Petite Robe Noire scents released by Guerlain. There are two so far: the LPRN (berry, licorice, rose and tea) and LPRN 2 (orange blossom, vanilla, marshmallow, leather).

18 April, 2011

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

My intial impressions of Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse were reminding me of...Fougere Bengale by Parfums d'Empire! And this is a lavender fougere with cumin!

In Zeste Mandarine, I think I am getting the same thing as Mimi Gardenia. I certainly get the hesperidic notes, but somewhere a note is off. Is this the fresh scent some are getting?

Everyone's nose is different. Perhaps a few more tries and this will grown on me. I will give it the benefit of the doubt and make a neutral rating.

16 April, 2011

1889 Moulin Rouge by Histoires de Parfums

This scent lives up to its inspiration: the fin-de-siecle nightlife of Paris, c. 1889, and the Moulin Rouge cabaret.

The ad copy states feathers and sweetness, and that is what I manage to get. I also get a "lipstick" note. The leather supplies the animalic note (anyone ever smell feathers or fur? Preferably on a living animal?) and the sweet plum opens up the composition with a very slightly spicy undertone.

The floral center of rose and iris, with the all-important note of absinthe (think Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec) provide a nice transition to the deeper notes. This has good longevity and sillage. I can even catch a whiff six hours after wearing.

This is surely a unisex scent, and can be comfortably worn by both men and women.

At $185 a bottle, this might sound steep, but the bottle is a generous 120 ml in the EDP.

EDIT: This 120 ml retails for $205 but you can buy the 60 ml for $125.

06 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 March, 2013)

Habanita by Molinard

Habanita is one of the best kept fragrance secrets! Easily and cheaply found in the EDT form from e-tailers, this wonderful, complex scent is a marvelous unisex floral tobacco.

The EDT has good sillage and an excellent longevity.

Originally made to scent women's cigarettes in the 1920s--in a time when a woman smoking in public would turn heads--this scent is now still in the Molinard lineup in the Lalique-inspired bottle.

It is warm and comfortable and rich. It is elegant and mature. If you are into candy-sweet scents or don't like powder, this is not for you.

I have not tried the parfum form which was re-released (in 2007, I think), but it must be exquisite, too.

The notes (according to NST) are: bergamot, peach, orange blossom, galbanum, oakmoss, jasmine, rose, ylang ylang, heliotrope, patchouli, amber, leather, vetiver, cedar, sandalwood, benzoin and vanilla.

12 March, 2011

Mauboussin by Mauboussin

I will agree with other reviewers that this is easily an oriental unisex scent. I also get the "vanilla tobacco" observed but not in the list of notes.

It is sweet but not masculine or feminine in either direction.

The top notes are sweet and floral with middle notes in which the peach, jasmine, rose and ylang-ylang stand out. In the finish, there is rich, warm amber, sandalwood, cedar and vanilla.

In my opinion, this is a much overlooked scent and easily available online at discounters. This is a must-try scent for lovers of sweet orientals.

05 March, 2011