Reviews by gekko

gekko's avatar
    gekko

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum by Pinaud

I found a bottle of this stuff in my local drug store. Gotta say, I wasn't expecting much when I took it home. However, it's a surprisingly nice scent of the "spicy" variety. Unfortunately, it has far too much cinnamon for my taste and it overpowers the other notes. On the other hand, the dry down brings out the subtle scent of cloves and a few notes I admittedly can't recognize. It's also a great bargain, considering I got 12 oz/355 mL (yes, you read that right; it's a large plastic bottle) for $8.

In short, if you can get past the strong cinnamon opening, you'll find the dry down quite pleasant. Not a formal or office wear fragrance by a long shot, but if you would like a summer scent that cuts through the ubiquity of "aquatic" frags, you could do worse.

15 July, 2009

Brut by Fabergé

Aside from the latest offerings from Adidas, this is my favorite bargain cologne. The funny thing is, I don't think it smells that great. I don't dislike it, but I prefer a lighter scent. My girlfriend, however, can't get enough. As tanto pointed out, this stuff is supposed to mix with your own natural scent. When it works, it WORKS. When it doesn't, you end up smelling like, well, cheap cologne. This is definitely one you want to test out before you really go for it. Fortunately, it's dirt cheap.

13 June, 2009

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

This scent isn't terrible...until it hits your skin. At least for me, it smells much better in the air than it does on my skin. I imagine that if you sprayed this in your Porsche it would be alright.

Mustang by Mustang

This is a great cologne. I normally don't like tobacco notes but this scent has just the right amount to give it a rich scent. Strong, long-lasting, and definitely masculine. Highly recommended, especially for the price.

Axe Lab by Axe / Lynx

This fragrance smells kind of like a cross between Armani Code and Aqua Di Gio, with a bit of Axe body spray splashed in. I agree with Andrewthecologneguy, it works well in humid weather. If you live in Florida as I do, it's a good cologne to have. Very casual, and it doesn't last for more than a few hours so it would be a great starter scent for someone who isn't used to using cologne.

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

This is a great bargain cologne but it has too much vanilla for me. It could pass as a unisex fragrance so if you are looking for a more masculine scent this is not for you. The oriental spice fragrance is great but doesn't last too long before you are left with mostly vanilla. Still, I don't regret the $5 I paid.

OS Signature by Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I bought a bottle of this for $5 on the clearance rack in Target and, for the price, it is a great cologne. I've tried quite a few marine colognes and, while this one definitely fits into that category, it has a strong base to it that smells very unique. It lasts for a long time as well, so this is definitely one of the best colognes in terms of dollars per use you can find.

Jake by Hollister

This was the second cologne I ever owned. It has strong citrus and sandalwood notes, but it fades very quickly. If you are interested in testing this fragrance, just smell a Hollister store. This is what they use for air freshener. Because it doesn't last too long, it's great for high schoolers or college students who have never used cologne before and may be prone to overuse. I got a lot of compliments from the girls in my co-ed dorm when I used to wear this, most likely because it reminded them of the Hollister store. In summary, great starter fragrance for teens, but you should start looking for something else as you get older.

Atman by Phat Farm

I'm just going to lay it out in the open: I love bergamot. To me, this scent has just the right amount of my favorite fragrance note. It also lasts for quite a long time, about as long as Drakkar Noir. However, it smells too generic for me. Others may not enjoy it as much as I have, especially those who are not fond of aquatic scents. It isn't a particularly high quality cologne, but for the $7 per bottle clearance price I paid, I was sold. I'm not sure what the normal price is, but I wouldn't pay much for it.

Axe Tsunami by Axe / Lynx

Axe fragrances are generally too overpowering and, quite frankly, overused for my tastes. However, if you prefer a body spray to cologne and don't douse yourself in it, Axe Tsunami is the one to get. It has a fresh, citrusy, Hollister-esque beach bum scent without the scent of sandalwood.