Reviews by pansylady

pansylady's avatar
    pansylady

1826 by Histoires de Parfums

overbearing top notes but has a nice finish

Enjoli by Revlon

Who earns the bacon and fries it in the pan.... Revlon's ode to the mythic superwoman of the late '70s, if I remember correctly...

Ciara by Revlon

... there's such a thing as being too assertive... that's Ciara for you- unique and unmistakable, i grant you, but waaaay too sweet

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

somewhat heavy-handed citrus/floral, as I remember- I liked it at the time, but I think it lacked subtlety

Cachet by Prince Matchabelli

I thought this was really sophisticated way back when- I seem to remember some incense notes in this fragrance, and thought it had an intriguing bottle

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli

I concur with the contributors who noted deodorant soap/powder vibes, and also agree that it smells quite a bit like Heaven Sent- which was anything but...

Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

I loved the white flower power blast of the top notes, but it faded into eau de shampoo on me- and I caught no hint of incense anywhere-

Curve for Women by Liz Claiborne

I think this fragrance paved the way for the fruity/aquatic florals that are so popular today- it's ok, but I found myself getting tired of it rather quickly-

Night Blooming Jasmine by Jovan

I adored this one- a bargain gem of a white flower fragrance

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

wow, talk about over-exposure...
    Looking at the list of ingredients (tuberose, orange blossom, jasmine, gardenia, ylang ylang) I should love this stuff- because I am a white flower fanatic- but this stuff made my stomach turn- maybe, as others have noted, this is because people tended to load it on- and that it actually smells nice in small doses- but my olfactory memory of this scent is so negative, that I don't want to get anywhere near it-

Demi-Jour by Dana

I remember this as a warm, ambery-scent that would be most appropriate for fall and winter- I picked up much more spice than flower-
    I think I bought two of them just so that I could give one to my mother-in-law, because we both thought the bottle was so beautiful-

Chantilly by Dana

I thought it smelled like spicy baby powder

Miss Dior Chérie L'Eau by Christian Dior

Quite an improvement over the original Miss Dior Cherie- which is tooth-achingly sweet (caramel corn and strawberry????) Agree with Asha on this one- this is more subtle and wearable.

In fact, I am beginning to like this better than J'adore l' Eau Floriale- overall, it is lighter, cleaner, less floral-fruity- ane maybe less is more!
    The top-mid notes are a beautiful medley of white floral and citrus, and it has an incredibly appealing woody dry-down that I thoroughly enjoy. I am entranced...

03 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 February, 2010)

Spotlight by Avon

Hey guys, double-check on this one-it's a female fragrance, and the spokesperson is Courteney Cox- haven't really tried it except for a tiny free patch sample, but thought it smelled delicious

Spring in Paris by Celine Dion

a very pleasant stroll down the Champs d'Elysees- ultra feminine scent that epitomizes truth in advertising- nice job, celine!

Chloé Collection 2005 by Chloé

Rare Pearls by Avon

a very plummy scent- my mother-in-law's favorite- not for me, but maybe it's chemistry, because it smells ok from the bottle

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

I smelled a lot of citrus in this one, but am surprised not to find this mentioned in the top notes-
    It's fresher than Beautiful and i found it to be a improvement, but i got tired of smelling it after awhile- probably because my co-worker in the adjoining office used to bathe in it- familiarity breeds contempt-
    actually, it's not a bad fragrance- but I think it could've been blended better, somehow-

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

it's been a long time since I've smelled it- but to my memory, it was indeed the scent of a 1000 flowers, but it would've benefitted by a stronger citrus topnote and a woodier undertone

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

a real spice box of a fragrance- i'm not much of a spice girl, but i kinda liked it back in the 80s- wearing it made me feel like someone who should be taken seriously- it certainly can't be ignored-
    but I agree with vintage* red- it isn't nauseating like Youth Dew (which is hard to connect with youth- most of the women who wear it are 70 plus, in my experience!)
    So v*r, I'm curious to know which over the top spice scents you prefer-

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

I don't claim to be a fragrance expert- let me be upfront about this- but surely some animals were killed or harmed in the making of this fragrance...
    and it's either as potent as a drop of cyanide or the people who wear it don't know the meaning of tasteful restraint- smelling it makes me reel with nausea and feel as if the walls are closing in
    it definitely leaves an impression...

Fleurissimo by Creed

I was somewhat disappointed in this one- it seemed one-dimensional rose-y to me-

Vanilla Fields by Coty

The only vanilla fragrance that doesn't turn my stomach- i'd rather taste it than smell like it- but I did kinda like it back in the early 90s.

Sand & Sable by Coty

This is such a wonderful white flower scent- sexy yet subtle- and so reasonably priced. Coty deserves a great deal of credit for creating such a high quality, affordable fragrance-

Muguet des Bois by Coty

My first cologne- innocence in a bottle- probably not quite as appealing now as then

J'Adore by Christian Dior

J'Adore this scent! Right at the top of my fragrance pyramid (with Allure)- the L'eau version is particularly outstanding, by the way, and is my favorite of the growing bunch
    spritizing myself with J'Adore in the local NK here in stockholm is my favorite aromatherapy antidepressant fix, especially during these dark winter scandinavian days- talk about a cheap thrill! The Dior guy just smiles and shakes his head... Maybe santa will see this note and fix me up...

03 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 February, 2010)

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

I thought the bottle was really cool- loved the way it mimicked the pattern and texture of vintage suit fabric

Chloé (original) by Chloé

can't speak for the new version- but the original is wonderful! An ultra romantic and feminine scent- definitely not unisex! lasts and lasts on your pillow... nice! I'm sorry to hear they've changed it- I took a sniff of the new one at the local scent shop and thought it bore absolutely no resemblance to the original- the new one is one-dimensional rose and smells cheap-
    also, the original Chloé has the most beautiful and intriguing bottle

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This is probably my absolute favorite- it is sophisticated and enchanting, and lasts and lasts- (I erred in reviewing it in June under the eau de parfum heading- 'twas only the eau de t I owned-)
    I can't say enough wonderful things about this fragrance, really- agree that it has a crystalline facet quality, and I would wear it for any reason or season- a true new classic! I mostly picked up citrus and floral on me- I'm pleased to post an unmitigated positive review in light of all of the neutrals and negatives

Colors de Benetton by Benetton

defines college era for me- the pineapple note is memorable and prominent- interesting and unique scent