Reviews by dreese

dreese's avatar
    dreese

AB Spirit by Lomani

This is an unusual fragrance blend. The manner in which the rose, lemon, iris, and woods combine creates two strong impressions; violets and powder. The lemon stays below the floral-wood combinations. I detect traces of pepper, eucalyptus, and a licorice tone in the base and these boost the darkness of the scent.
    It is definitely an evening scent and I agree with Amos Jolthead that it is too sophisticated for a younger person to pull off. The longevity and sillage are both very good, since AB Spirit is long-lived and moves around you well without being too strong.

28 June, 2014 (Last Edited: 07 July, 2014)

Curve Wave for Men by Liz Claiborne

Surprised that this fragrance is so poorly received. Right out of the bottle there were two impressions; lime and fresh soap.
    It is the lightest and cleanest lime I have experienced in any lime-scented frags. All other lime-based fragrances I have used pair the lime with musk; Wave doesn't. Wave combines a very bright and robust lime with a soft aquatic breeze accord made up very soft touches of juniper, mint, and anise. The shape of the scent is linear, staying the same throughout the life of the scent. It is not long-lasting, but it is casual, pleasing, and unassuming. There is some passing similarity to L'Eau de Issey in the breezy construction, but Issey's lemon and yuzu make it too sharp for me.

26 June, 2014

Adidas Dare by Adidas

Surprised at the contemptuous reviews of this fragrance. Once again, it seems that the low price leaves a fragrance open to unwarranted derision. Being part of the Adidas line may also contribute to the poor reputation, since, in my own experience, those scents are not usually very good.

The top notes are bergamot, apple, and lime. The middle notes are rum and lavender. The base notes are vanilla, sandalwood, and leather. There is a light presence of the rum and leather during all three distinct stages of the fragrance.

The opening is identical to Givenchy Play Intense as the citrus and bergamot bloom and is every bit as pleasant. This stage is short-lived as the scent quickly transitions into a middle stage where the leather, lavender, apple, and rum rise above the citric beginning to portray a lovely, restrained, and elegant body. Longevity and projection are decent, but neither is spectacular. Overall, this fragrance is surprisingly dignified and simple.

26 June, 2014

Bijan for Men by Bijan

This has been a tremendous disappointment for me. After all of the positive reviews, I'm left wondering if I have a bad bottle, batch, or even the right fragrance. The notes combine to make a scent so sharp that it resembles ammonia or cat pee or perhaps both. Really awful.

19 June, 2014

Thallium by Jacques Evard

Brilliant. Opens for me with amber, cocoa, and bergamot. Quickly transitions to a middle balanced between these heady notes and a beautifully blended melange of apple, lavender, jasmine, and pineapple. There is the tiniest touch if cedar playing under these layers and together the scent is a seductive and velvet-toned song on your skin. It is strong and it is feminine, but seems to paradoxically possess a heightened masculinity nonetheless. Absolutely makes my wife salivate, and this is good.

22 May, 2014

Bijan VIP for Men by Bijan

I agree with both SirSlarty's first line and vawallpa's last line. The top notes are described as; lemon, sage, and sea water. The middle notes are geranium, pink pepper, suede, and paprika. The base is made up of musk, orris root, and three woods; virginia cedar, sandalwood, and guaiac wood. The spices and wood make up the heart of the scent with the lemon/citrus laying across the top. Together these make an interesting mixture, but not spectacular. Longevity is short; I could ply this stuff on with a trowel and still not get more than two hours from it.

15 May, 2014

Cold by Benetton

This is pleasing, light, and won't offend anybody. The dominant notes upon applying are bergamot, white musk, thyme, orange, and a well-done vanilla. It seems that the red pepper, neroli, and coriander are used beneath the dominant notes and serve to boost the sweetness and remove any sharpness of the notes, making the shape of the scent softer and more rounded. If I had not seen the list of notes, I would have guessed that white tea was used in this fragrance for the way it lightens and sweetens scents, but the spicy elements in Cold surprisingly and gracefully are kept below the citrus and herbs.
    It is true that is has some resemblance to CK One but the difference lies in the blending; Cold uses less citrus and is much softer on the nose and the skin. It is also true that there is a resemblance to British Sterling Silver, with the difference lying in Cold's use of a white musk and fresher overall tones compared with Sterling Silver's manly musk and stronger spices.

The longevity is good, lasting most of the day for me, but it does not project strongly. I can smell it on myself and only people that get VERY close will pick up on it. This probably won't become a signature scent for anyone, but it seems to be a nicer and lighter brother to CK One.

UPDATE: After wearing this for several months, I have discovered that the base and drydown phase of COLD is very similar to Lagerfeld. I'm now imagining that it could be considered a Lagerfeld Summer version.

16 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2014)

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

I think MrMookie captures this best. These notes combine for a fresh, cold, green, and ozone-filled breeze. While it is an unusual and satisfying fragrance, it is not dynamic enough to make it really special. It also does not last very long, as has been mentioned here. To get some longevity, I have to apply to skin and shirt. It has been recently discontinued, so you should act quickly if you are interested.

13 April, 2014

125 Years Your Companion for Life by Victorinox

I disagree that this is boring. It is amazing and it is unique. Since it has been already discontinued, you should act quickly before it is gone.
    The scent does pass through 3 distinct stages; the cardamom and grapefruit blast out front and combine with the Tonka. The short-lived middle stage seems to bring the cacao and larch forward into the sweetness of the fragrance, making it spicy and creamy like peaches dipped in caramel.
    The final stage is a return to the green citrus and spicy floral beginning as the hay and Tonka create a woody heart inside the grapefruit and cardamom.
    Projection is good for me, but total longevity is about three hours.

12 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 08 May, 2014)

Yacht Man Metal by Myrurgia

This is a very brave and potent woody citrus. Initially, it reminded me of the original formulation (1980s) of Chanel's Antaeus, but now I realize that it is almost identical to Allure Sport Homme. This may have been intended since they both arrive in metal flasks. The white musk is sweet and warm and it stays beneath a well-rounded, hearty center of citrus, cedar, and pepper, with a finish of a soft aquatic layer softly placed across the top of the whole thing. Longevity and projection are better than the other Yacht Man fragrances, which gives you a few hours. This fragrance combines more contrary notes than would have been thought possible and does it brilliantly.

20th March, 2014 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2014)

Voyage by Nautica

The first two notes that stand out upon application are melon and sailcloth. The melon is nice, the sailcloth not so much. Nautica has once again saturated an otherwise likable fragrance with their overwhelming "sailcloth accord". The apple, mimosa, amber, and cedarwood are drowned out by the sailcloth, greenleaf, and water lotus, which are far too strong and take over the entire personality of the scent. Nautica Blue is better, although sailcloth shows up there also. Aqua Rush is best, because it leaves sailcloth out altogether. I mentioned sailcloth 7 times in this review, which qualifies it as a sort of drinking game. I still suspect that the offending accord is composed of cabbage.

04 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2014)

Swiss Army Mountain Water by Victorinox

A bold, sweet, airy, and truly icy fragrance. It is among the freshest in my collection currently. The notes include a base of Alpine rock lichen, sage, rosemary, and patchouli (just a touch so it does not take over the scent) under a mint and black pepper top. Many fragrances include mint, but this is my first that puts the mint on top to heighten the crispness, with the florals and spices underneath to push the top notes higher. I realize that blue aquatics can begin to seem altogether too similar, but I delight in finding the different recipes and effects of each of them. This is exceptional. Longevity and projection for me are 2-4 hours and broad, respectively.

16 February, 2014

Fujiyama Homme by Succès de Paris

This scent is extremely close in fragrance to Issey Miyake. There is, thankfully, a softer edge to the Yuzu and Bamboo that makes Fujiyama slightly more palatable. Where Issey smells like an antiseptic citric cleaning fluid on me, Fujiyama smells more like bamboo, clover, vetiver, and a pimento twist. Those who appreciate this sort of scent will like Fujiyama. For me personally, not so much.

16 February, 2014

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

I instantly loved this fragrance. Mr Mookie has the note progression exactly right. I enjoy each stage, but the drydown of lavender folded in between Bergamot, Violetwood, and Amber is absolutely sublime. This elegant fragrance would be right at home in a wardrobe of the exclusive and expensive. As mentioned before, it's projection is understated after the opening and this seems to suit the overall personality of the scent just right. It is not very often that a fragrance can blossom among 3 very distinct stages without feeling synthetic, but Lanvin makes sense of it beautifully.

25 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2014)

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

If we set nostalgia aside, memories from a time when men's fragrances were manly because they were soaked in musk, we have to face the fact that they do not smell very good. I continue to receive these scents-Old Spice, Brut, Aqua Velva, etc. -as gifts and remember in the 60s and 70s when these were worn by virtually every man around. They are rugged and manly, but it seems that they ADD to the masculine aromas we would prefer to counteract (body odor, sweat) rather than compound. I have never found any pleasing qualities in these fragrances and have witnessed countless instances when men wearing these fragrances pass by and folks assaulted by the scent wrinkle their noses or cough.
    There are some excellent manly fragrances from this period; Aramis, Halston Z-14, and Lagerfeld to name a few.
    In summary, Old Spice and Brut need to go away because they are simply awful.

18 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 03 February, 2014)

Beverly Hills Polo Club Sport for Men by Beverly Hills Polo Club

The pleasing floral ingredients are washed out by poor quality cedar and sandalwood, making this scent (as with all of the BHPC fragrances) unpleasant and synthetic.

Beverly Hills Polo Club Classic for Men by Beverly Hills Polo Club

Wood, orange, clove, and sandalwood mixed together poorly to make an unpleasant chemical mélange. Tried to like this, but it was offensive from first blast to the end of the day.

Paradise for Men by Alfred Sung

I neither understand nor agree with the poor reviews of this fragrance. It is a very pleasing citrus scent with a warm quality underneath that lasts 4-5 hours on me. The sandalwood and musk in the bottom notes present themselves together with the papaya and grapefruit, then settle back into a glow of citrus in the drydown. I get no resemblance to Issey whatsoever and the tropical sense lasts much longer for me than is being reported here. All of the great qualities of highly-rated aquatics are present in Paradise, with that additional oceanic greenness that helps this fragrance feel warm and sun-kissed.

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

The ratings have this right. The first 30 minutes, this is identical to Curve. As it dries down, it improves to a more pleasant sweet, grassy character. I detect the bamboo and teakwood rising as the scent moves past an hour. The duration and projection I receive from Lucky You are exceptional. I did not find this synthetic or offensive, but it isn't one I would wear often either. Nice, but not special.

12 January, 2014

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This is loved far and wide and I am at a loss to understand why. To my nose, the notes produce an unpleasant and almost antiseptic character. It seems to me to represent all things bad in cologne; it is cloying, synthetic, harsh, and poorly mixed.

31st December, 2013

Grass Oil for Men by Jovan

I wore this in the sun when I was young and everything was sweet. It smelled like making love outdoors.

31st December, 2013

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Polo Blue is certainly a polarizing scent, and I have to say that I agree with all of the comments, because I have felt all of them while wearing it; there are times it feels crisp, fresh, and sophisticated, and then there are times it comes across as cloying, synthetic, overly strong, and I feel shame at wearing it. I have come to the opinion that body chemistry and mood play a large role in its wearing. Also, I have noticed times when the cucumber lays on top of the scent (bad) as well as times when the cucumber lies in the middle (good). My overall review is a solid neutral and I would not purchase it again. My recommendations for "blue" scents include Bulgari Blu, Gap No. 655, Bleu de Chanel, and Samba Ice.

24 December, 2013

Bené by Ben Rickert Benandre

This was an absolute marvel as a scent. Sold by Ben Rickert, it was a sublime mix of sandalwood, spice, amber, and floral notes. One of many unique and manly fragrances that seem gone forever now, along with Cellini, Grass Oil, Andron, Allyn St. George, original Perry Ellis, etc......

24 December, 2013

Stetson Sierra by Stetson

Lovely powerful, woodsy, well-rounded, and masculine. I maintain this has the same quality as many of the high-priced "black" fragrances. Reminds me of what one would get if they wore Drakkar and Polo together.

Royall Lyme by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Every comment here has it nailed pretty well; a very nice, refreshing lime on top of some musk. Disappears so quickly, I cannot endorse it as being worth the price.

Rich Suede by Stetson

For fans of leather scents, this is a must-try. Smells just like its name; pure suede with a little powder, woods, spice, and a small touch of vanilla to keep the leather up front. Manly, linear and long-lasting.

Beverly Hills Polo Club by Beverly Hills Polo Club

This may have many notes in common with popular fragrances, but this comes off as harsh and synthetic. When I wore this, there have been several unkind comments made regarding what it smelled like. The other BHPC scents were slightly better, but not much.

23 November, 2013

Big Pony 2 by Ralph Lauren

I was prepared to hate this, but after a few wears, I have to give this a thumbs up. Yes this is an unusual melange of chocolate and musk and fruit and florals together, but they do blend in a dark and seductive way. The drydown is lovely and brooding with the cocoa, amber, and an edge of cinnamon under it. Yes this is overpriced, but it is much better than the god-awful burnt chocolate of the Axe version. Any of you who don't want your bottle, feel welcome to send it my way!

01st November, 2013 (Last Edited: 26 November, 2013)

Rose Noir for Men by Giorgio Valenti

Rose, berry, sandalwood, some light spice. Linear and unique. The notes combine and feature pleasingly. Projection is very good, so be careful with application. What's not to like?
    Update: I have worn this almost exclusively for several weeks and continue to discover things I really like about it. I have always been a fan of the rose accord in my colognes, and this accomplishes it very well. The use of berries seems to join with and heighten the rose while the musk and sandalwood stay in the background. Most often rose scents include leather, but thankfully no leather is present in this. There is a citrus in the middle and this mixes with the berry to lift the overall rose character of the scent. Curious that a scent with very little rose in it can pull off such a wonderful rose impression.

31st October, 2013 (Last Edited: 26 November, 2013)

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Loved!

Was given this a few years ago and came to truly love it. It is an acquired taste, since the blend hits so many notes and tones. The woods and the lighter notes (kumquat and fruity, sweet red pepper) balance each other in a beautiful way. My only cautionary advice is a warnign that this blend will not work for everyone, but it mixed wonderfully with my strange body chemistry. I see the comparisons to many other red fragrances and have to say that this stands well apart from them.

Pros: Unique, Memorable
    Cons: Unusual "

25 October, 2013