Reviews by asilverfire614

asilverfire614's avatar
    asilverfire614

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

In a word, this fragrance is...DELICIOUS! I don't understand why it's categorized as oriental spicy, as it's definitely gourmand to my nose.

I can immediately detect decadent plum, cacao, and tonka bean. After a few minutes it blends into a smooth, yummy mix of rum, caramel, honey and vanilla. As with others, I never detected any floral or woody notes.

This has to be the most perfectly balanced gourmand I've ever had the pleasure of wearing! Thick and just sweet enough like a fine syrup topped with spices. Very long-lasting and a little goes a long way.

Add: After wearing this a few times, I've discovered that our cat LOVES it...she plants herself in my lap and licks my wrists non-stop! She has never done this with ANY other fragrance before. Our dog likes to lick a few of them, but not her...how strange.

Onde Extase by Giorgio Armani

I really liked this for the thirty minutes it last on my skin...after that I could barely smell the dry-down, which is floral and slightly powdery. At its peak, I was strongly reminded of Armani Code for some reason. I really wish it lasted as long as Code does!

Isvaraya by Indult

Wow, this is a beautiful fragrance! Very oriental to my nose. Started out sweet with the plum and jasmine, then the dry-down was heavy and thick with patchouli and musk. Excellent lasting power (going on ten hours!) Better-suited for evening in my opinion.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

What I found most interesting about Dzing! was that after the first 30 minutes or so, I found it to be very similar to Bvlgari Black on my skin. I wasn't expecting that at all. The top notes are very different (Dzing has the earthy hay smell, BB has hot rubber), but after that - I couldn't believe how close they were to my nose. Dzing! is not quite as sweet, but the similarities are definitely there. I like this, but I only wear it ever so often...especially when I want to feel like I'm outside at a county fair and not stuck in an office... ;)

Oxygène by Lanvin

This is definitely NOT a typical floral aquatic scent...so don't let that turn you off. I almost let it, but I'm oh-so-glad I didn't!

The white musk is apparent throughout this fragrance - even its opening notes. I was very pleasantly surprised! After a few minutes I can detect the white pepper, but its nicely mingled with iris, gardenia, and another flower I don't recognize (maybe hyssop?)

Warmer and more fresh than I had anticipated, I think this is one of the best summer scents out there. It lasts all day on my skin, too.

Midnight Rain by La Prairie

I wanted very badly to like this perfume, as I tested it in a Neiman Marcus a few years ago and remember being extremely impressed. I sampled it tonight on my skin and have decided that my tastes must have changed drastically!

Opening notes are very, very sweet in an almost nauseating way to me. I kept thinking of rotting fruit! Oddly, at some points it reminded me of a sweeter version of Ange Ou Demon, as I definitely got the white lily note in the middle. The only part of this scent I enjoyed was the dry-down, which ended up surprisingly musky with just the right hint of patchouli.

I will say I think the bottle is super cool...but I just can't wear this again.

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

I had to wear this on my skin three times before I really fell for it...the first time, I wasn't sure about the spicy opening. I smelled some notes that reminded me of hay! Second time, I picked up more of the clove and cinnamon notes and began to appreciate it more.

Third time (today) and I am completely smitten...it snowed several inches last night and this was perfect for a brisk snowy winter day! I usually find it difficult to enjoy fragrances that are mostly spices, but something about this makes it honeyed and creamy enough to really ride it out.

Very unique and definitely not for everyone, nor for every day. I can't think of any other fragrance I could even begin to compare.

Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

This is quite a unique fragrance! Opening notes were very alcoholic - I was almost reminded of brandy or rum. After half an hour or so, I could really smell the sour cherry and almond notes. Dry-down was mostly vanilla almond on my skin.

My husband said it smelled like baby powder for the first few minutes, but I didn't get that at all. Very sweet and gourmand, but not headache-inducing. I can see this being semi-wearable in the fall & winter..

Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

Noa Perle by Cacharel

I don't feel like this should be considered a floral fruity perfume...on my skin, the hazelnut is quite prominent after an hour or so. I get a touch of tangerine in the beginning and then creamy florals. Overall, I would say it definitely has gourmand in its character.

I find this very pleasant to wear from time to time. Something about it makes it very distinctive to my nose. It's light, slightly sweet, and before the hazelnut kicks in it reminds me of soft fragrant flowers after a spring rain. And speaking of rain, something about this makes it perfect on me when it's gloomy and rainy outside...hot or cold. I love it on these days!

Moschino Funny! by Moschino

I was very pleasantly surprised by this perfume. It DOES have three distinct layers, as others have pointed out, and I don't agree at all that it's "just for young girls." It's calming, peaceful, feminine, and a little quirky...but very well-rounded. I have a feeling I'll be reaching for this one a lt this summer...

I'm not usually attracted to fragrances with orange or strong citrus in the top notes, but this has a beautiful mixture that quickly blends into green tea and soft florals (I get the jasmine and poeny, mostly.) The dry-down is lovely - surprisingly musky for such a light scent! Lasts all day for me, too. This is a great pick-me-up!

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

I haven't tested this on my skin...after my experience with a testing strip, I'm slightly afraid to try...

Opening notes were very medicinal, another member said it smelled like acetone, and I definitely got that. Maybe acetone with a touch of cinnamon. Shortly thereafter I could detect white floral notes and lots of musk...it started to remind me of a not-so-pleasant version of Narciso Rodriguez. I say not-so-pleasant because to my nose, there was an underlying fecal (indole, maybe) note that really distracted me.

This perfume confuses me...I start to like it, then I turn away in disgust. I smell it again, smile, and then a few minutes later wrinkle my nose. Definitely not going to purchase this one.

Pure Wish by Chopard

I don't like Wish, but I love Pure Wish...they have an entirely different spirit to me.

Pure Wish is innocent, soft, demure, a pure young girl who doesn't realize she is sweetly sexy. This fragrance is a harmonious balance between florals, fruits, and powdery patchouli. The pear and red currant were most prominent in its opening notes on my skin. After an hour or so I could detect the white flowers, patchouli, and a touch of vanilla. Dry-down was a beautiful sandalwood patchouli and lingering caramel.

Lasting power is about six hours for me. This is great for winter...it warms my body and encircles my clothes like a soft fur. And as a bottle-fanatic, I have to add the the bottle is simply stunning in its elegance!

Libertine by Vivienne Westwood

I found this on a clearance table the other day and picked it up. I'm still deciding what I think about it...I've only worn it twice so far...

For the most part, I enjoy it. Initially I get the passion fruit, pineapple, and honeysuckle...in about that order. Interesting mix of floral & fruit, and something, well, something else...

There is something about it that turns me off, just a little, and I can't figure out what it is exactly. It persists from the opening notes all the way to the base notes, and I've never smelled this in another perfume. If I had to come up with adjectives to describe this elusive note that I can't deciper, it would be musty (NOT to be mistaken with musky) and spicy mixed together. Maybe even mildew-y...like clothes that got wet and dried naturally. It baffles me, as none of the notes listed even hint at this.

I'm going to keep wearing it and see if I "fall" for it. It lasts awhile (about six hours on me) and I agree completely with others that have said it's very difficult to classify. I'm glad I got a good deal on it!

Banana Flambée by Demeter Fragrance Library

I sampled this the other day...name says it all here!!

Couldn't believe how accurate this smelled. Gives new meaning to the term 'reality perfume', ha! Smells like strong, sweet, caramelized banana.

Delicious scent...however, I don't see how this is unisex. It's entirely too sweet and fruity. But then I also don't share the perspective of wanting to smell exactly like a dessert! ;)

Pyxis by Scents of Time

Despite not being a "green" lover, I really liked the opening notes of this...fresh, mossy, with a hint of citrus and flowers. But then...it completely disappeared! Within half an hour, I could smell absolutely NOTHING on my skin, and I have never had that happen so fast before. I am wondering if maybe the samples from Scents of Time are watered down for some reason...

Néonatura - Cocoon by Yves Rocher

I adore this fragrance! It is warm, comforting, yummy, and sexy all at once...a GREAT winter scent. Its name is perfect, and so is the bottle...comfortable and wraps around your skin like a glove.

For the first two or three hours, I really get the coconut flavored with an enticing vanilla/patchouli mix. After the coconut starts to fade, the drydown is soft and lingering.

I am amazed at how well composed this fragrance is...could easily be very over-powering (a lot of fragrances with coconut and/or patchouli are to me), but it is so beautiful and has the best of everything! A touch of fruit, a bit of gourmand, a hint of spice...perfect to my nose.

I would also like to add that a few years ago I bought a perfume oil from Victoria's Secret with some tropical theme, I can't remember the name of it. (Tahitian Vanilla or something?) Its note were mostly vanilla & coconut & patchouli, and in VERY small doses I liked it. Neonatura Cocoon reminds me of a refined and much more beautiful version of this.

Nenúfar by Scents of Time

Ooooh, this smells so pretty to me! A floral "aquatic" in the loosest sense of the word. Aquatic because it's light and soft, yes. The water lily and blue lotus are very prominent in this lovely linear perfume, but rounded out nicely with almond and nutmeg. If pastel blue had a color, it would certainly be this.

Extremely feminine, soft, subtle, sweet, refreshing, and just a touch of gourmand. What a composition this is! My only complaint is that it didn't last longer than four hours on my skin. And for the record, my husband was significantly impressed, too!

Cabaret by Grès

I am surprised by how much I like this fragrance...I'm sampling it today and it just keeps getting better and better...

Opening notes on me were more of a "rose-lemon drizzle." The lemony notes were strong at first, with a touch of leather, and then a subtle dry rose note became more prominent. For a few minutes I was reminded of wooden furniture polish, but not in a bad way.

Three hours into it, the leather notes have disappeared, and only a trace of lemon remains. Old, withered roses and peonies gently curl around me now in a bed of sandalwood. I'm really enjoying it...

I am buying a full bottle of this...today! :)

Cannabis Rose by Fresh

This scent and I did not get along...at all! I typically am not a "scrubber", but within ten minutes I had to wash this off of my skin. I really thought I would like it based on its notes, too!

I immediately detected the rose...but not a red rose, a very sharp, green rose that wasn't ready to be trimmed yet. If roses were fruit, the first ten minutes of this fragrance smells like an un-ripe rose! This dominated the entire scent and I was unable to smell ANYTHING else in it.

Very strange fragrance to my nose, and also very unpleasant. I almost felt like it might make me start wheezing (I'm asthmatic & allergic to inside mold and such.) I've never felt like that after smelling a fragrance before...so glad I sampled it first.

Amor Amor by Cacharel

This is a fun, casual fagrance for going out...shopping, eating, traveling, etc. When my partner smelled it on me, he said "You smell like the color red should smell." I thought that was very accurate, too! Nice mixture of red fruits, sandalwood, and vanilla with decent staying power for the price - about five hours on my skin.

Liaisons Dangereuses by By Kilian

Despite being termed unisex, I absolutely cannot imagine this on a man...it is entirely too sweet.

I *almost* love it. I say almost because it is just a little bit too sweet, too cloying, too much of something I can't quite put my finger on. Heart notes blend together to smell like some kind of berry jam, but then the cinnamon kicks in and it's just not pleasant any more and my head starts to spin.

After two or three hours, it's much more wearable and the dry-down is beautiful with a musky sandalwood, cinnamon, and just a trace of plum and rose. At this point it reminded me a little of Amouage's Lyric for women, which I adore.

I really want to like this, but it just isn't well-balanced to my nose. If I hadn't only used a drop of it to test, I would suggest sampling again in a smaller dose...but I couldn't get much smaller than that. Oh well...guess that saves me about $225 USD!

---------------------------------------
    Update:

Okay, I have officially eaten crow. I tried this sample again recently and fell in love with it. Maybe my chemistry was off that day or something, I don't know, but it sure works for me now! I dove in and bought a bottle...

It's "lazily" sexy...imagine two lovers laying around nude with rumpled sheets, feeding plums and grapes to each other while sipping champagne. I'll also add that it smells more masculine on clothing and paper than on skin. It's much juicier and sweeter when applied directly to the skin.

I was surprised to find that the lock and key in the packaging are fully functional...interesting, eh? I'll be able to lock it up and keep my step-daughter from using it... ;)

Tihota by Indult

Sexy, edible vanilla-amber in a nutshell. If you like oriental vanillas, this is a MUST TRY!

A thick, warm vanilla and ambery musk scent with just a hint of some other fruity note that I can't quite pick out. I'm thinking it may be plum or a red berry of some sort. Not too sweet, and not too tart...makes a perfect balance between the vanilla and musks.

I love this, but I don't think I could wear it every day. Very, very potent...a drop will definitely do you for many hours.

Le Feu D'Issey by Issey Miyake

I am sampling this fragrance today and I CANNOT believe such a fantastic scent could be discontinued! Why, oh why?

Warm, fiery, toasty, spicy, milky, peppery, and even sweet...this perfume is so many things all at once. I can't even pick out distinguished notes to describe it. Very well-balanced, long-lasting (8+ hours), and most excellent in the winter!

Byblos (original) by Byblos

I was looking for a unique summer floral and found it in this...the combination of peach, grapefruit, and mimosa make it fresh and distinctive in a world of super sweet fruity florals these days. I can't detect lily of the valley or any musk in the base. Lasted 4 to 5 hours, not bad for $10!

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

This review is for the EDT in the black bottle...

Wow!! I think this is pure sex in a bottle. At least it is for me! Beautiful, lusty, ambery musk at first...and then a sweet floral dry-down that teases and teases.

During the first two hours of wearing this, it occurred to me that it smelled how I wanted a masculine cologne to smell on a woman. I realize that doesn't make much sense...but...I have a fascination with cologne and sometimes I think I have found the perfect masculine scent for me, and then, oh no, I find something about it I can't stand. The top and heart of this fragrance made me think about this because of its beautiful musk accord.

Beyond that, it does have a very unique floral dry-down, which is very interesting, as most perfumes are vice-versa. I'm not big into strong florals, but NR's trail suited me just fine...even wearing a suit today! It made me feel feminine, confident, AND sexy.

Lasted almost ten hours, too, which is very impressive in my book. Now I see what all the hype was about!

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

I like this one much more than any other in the Bvlgari "tea" line. This is such a unique & comforting combination of red tea with sweet figs.

Oddly enough, I bought this for summer in an attempt to update my summer perfume wardrobe. But I wore it last night in the cold winter air and was astounded at how good it smelled on me. It was warm, comforting, slightly sweet, and very calming.

This makes a perfect everyday or office scent, especially in the winter. Lasted longer than I expected it to as well - a good five or six hours.

Escada Moon Sparkle by Escada

To my nose, this is a little different from Escada's other fragrances in that the citrus note isn't nearly as prominent. Top notes remind me of pear and peach although they are not listed. Then I smell more strawberry, raspberry, and red fruits than anything else. Not very long-lasting though - only 3 to 4 hours on my skin. A decent summer fragrance if you like fruity scents that aren't overbearing.

Sira des Indes by Jean Patou

I sampled this yesterday and was very surprised...my nose got very little of what the reviews suggested. I immediately detected an underlying sweaty, body odor type smell that I was hoping would go away with the top notes. Alas, it did not, if anything it got worse...which is very strange, because I sampled it on paper. I was able to somewhat enjoy the lovely red berries and pear, but that musky sweaty note just ruined everything for me. It almost smelled like cumin, but worse...

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

This was an unsniffed purchase for me that worked out beautifully...I absolutely adore this fragrance! When I first sprayed, I thought I detected some chocolate mixed in the the strawberry, but that faded rather quickly and turned into a strawberry/vanilla heart with sandalwood undertones. Very long-lasting, I applied yesterday afternoon and could still smell it on my arm this morning. A very balanced gourmand with just the right amount of fruit.